Pregnant with #1 in our 30s - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pie, I don't like your doctor! Doesn't make sense to be depressed when you're pregnant? Depression doesn't make sense! That's the thing about it! How many times in my life when I had it did I try to rationalize it...if I could just UNDERSTAND it, it would go away...what an idiot...sorry you had to listen to that. You're not hurting your baby. That's stupid. I'm glad you're feeling better...also disagree with the birth center's policy...what is their reasoning behind that?

I'm feeling great, thanks all for the encouragement and opening up about your meds and all that. I DO feel the happy pregnancy hormones...the same ones that make me pass out when I sit on the edge of the bed to tie my shoes, and wake up two hours later with my hair plastered to my face wondering WTF happened! Point being, I think I'm too sleepy to feel anything right now. But I hear you all, just be careful is what you're saying. I do worry about Post -partum a bit, but I guess I'll take it as it comes. I know when I feel down I get snappy and the last thing I want is to be a cranky mom who snaps at her kids for just being kids.

Had my first OB appt yesterday, at 8 weeks...they took my blood but no-one answered today and I couldn't get my results. She said their policy is to call only if there's a problem...but that I could call to see if my results were back either way. Now I have to wait til Monday. I'm just assuming it was ok, I sure FEEL like it's a viable pregnancy, but still, having those numbers would make me feel better, especially since I'm still in my first trimester and already the whole world knows I'm pregnant, and I'm still technically in the "danger zone". Oh well, I'll just have to have faith in what I feel...which is really dang tired! And grossed out by everything...gag reflex on high! Anyhow, because I'm over 35, I qualify for an early ultrasound, so I'm not sure when that is cuz they're sending the order in the mail, but I'm psyched cuz I'll get to see my bean soon!

I really liked my OB group, they seem non-invasive, compared to some, (at least some stories I've heard) and I feel like I've found the right doctor right off the bat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 11:28 AM

Dee, we haven't put the deposit down on the daycare yet because we've been waiting on a package of material the woman is sending out. Hpefully it should come today. She said she hasn't had any other couples express interest in the slot, so I'm cool waiting another day or so. Sorry your bloat has returned!! I wish I had some good advice for you!

PiePie, WTH on the psychiatrist who told you that you were hurting your baby and that pregnant women can't get depressed!! I hope the next psychiatrist is better!!

Julia, sorry you couldn't get your blood results right away. Hopefully your u/s will get scheduled soon to help put your mind at ease. I know I felt much better after my first u/s, just knowing that everything was ok helped me to relax.

In the last two weeks it feels like my belly has grown a ton! I can no longer hide it even if I wanted to. Tomorrow I'm 20 weeks (Emily! Happy 20 weeks!), the halfway point. It's so strange to think about.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyphry View Post
In the last two weeks it feels like my belly has grown a ton! I can no longer hide it even if I wanted to. Tomorrow I'm 20 weeks (Emily! Happy 20 weeks!), the halfway point. It's so strange to think about.
Hi everyone! I was just wanting to log on and say something similar. All of the sudden, I'm showing! Yesterday, my students even commented on it. Today is not quite as huge, but it is definitely there. It happened, like, in the last three days. I'm approaching 17 weeks...

I can't believe 20 is right around the corner! Congrats to those who are already there. I agree that it's weird to think about. It seems so recently that I was just finding out, and nervously awaiting each new week. It's like time crawled through about ten weeks; each day was agonizing. And now it's like weeks disappear with me barely registering.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Happy 20 weeks to you too Becky! Halfway! Woohoo!
My belly is getting huge too. It totally sticks out. I look down at it and it is a little bit freaky that my belly is sticking out as far (if not further) than my boobs! I have also gained about 4-5 lbs over the past 2 weeks (probably due to the fact that I have been STARVING).

My ultrasound is on Thursday - I am getting so excited! Cannot wait to see the little one. I am venturing out today to start exploring the world of baby gear - I am going to be checking out bedding, strollers, cribs, and car seats. Wish me luck ladies, I suspect all of the stores will be quite crowded and hellish (yet my excitement compels me to venture forth anyway ) DH has elected to stay home and play Grand Theft Auto on the Play Station
Old 04-14-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
Wish me luck ladies, I suspect all of the stores will be quite crowded and hellish (yet my excitement compels me to venture forth anyway ) DH has elected to stay home and play Grand Theft Auto on the Play Station

: I about died laughing when I read that. I told DH and he said, "And?" My DH can't wait to play video games with our child -- sometimes I think he thinks of him/her as a built-in playmate.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Oh goodness, I've had quite a week. We've been on vacation (hence why I've been MIA for awhile) and while it was a wonderful trip, it also saw the return of the yucky brown spotting. It is enormously annoying to have spotting while in a foreign country. I do not recommend it.

At any rate, the nurses at the hospital in London said that they don't expect there to be a problem, but there was no way they could get me in for a scan unless it was a real emergency (to which I didn't know what to say exactly) but that the description I gave them didn't sound at all problematic. I'll call my doctor on Monday morning, although, I imagine much like last time, I'll get the same answer, since it seems to have stopped now.

I think the main problem is how impossible it is to determine how much blood there is (TMI: even if it is brown and mixed with mucus) and I have no way to tell if it's a result of the triplet that was lost - there was still some material in that amniotic sac, which may well be where this is coming from.

I'm oddly comforted by the fact that I have been slightly more naseous, and hungry when I'm not nauseous (in fact, the hunger is pretty much constant now). That and my cervix is still low, closed and hard. I take all of these things and the lack of any kind of cramps to mean that everything is still ok.

I need a nap though... I've got a lot of catching up to do, which I'll likely do tomorrow. It seems like it was an exciting week though.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yay for showing, Minnow, Becky and Emily!

Julia glad the OB appt went well and that you're feeling fine (but tired). I feel a little weird about people at work knowing about the pregnancy before I'm out of the the danger zone too, but what can you do?

Emily congrats on reaching the 1/2 way mark. I'm so excited for your u/s Thursday too... will you share pics? I'm sorry you had to venture out into baby-gear land without your DH, but I know the exasperation of realizing that it would be easier to go by yourself. I hope the day was successful - the choices are overwhelming!

Christy I'm glad you had a good time in London, but sorry to hear about the spotting. I've heard the UK medical system isn't the greatest, so they probably weren't just blowing you off. It must have been scary though & I'm sorry you had to deal with that on vacation. Keep us posted on the situation. It's good that you're comforted by your symptoms as well.

I have my first mw appt Monday, finally!

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyM26 View Post
Oh goodness, I've had quite a week. We've been on vacation (hence why I've been MIA for awhile) and while it was a wonderful trip, it also saw the return of the yucky brown spotting. It is enormously annoying to have spotting while in a foreign country. I do not recommend it.

At any rate, the nurses at the hospital in London said that they don't expect there to be a problem, but there was no way they could get me in for a scan unless it was a real emergency (to which I didn't know what to say exactly) but that the description I gave them didn't sound at all problematic. I'll call my doctor on Monday morning, although, I imagine much like last time, I'll get the same answer, since it seems to have stopped now.

I think the main problem is how impossible it is to determine how much blood there is (TMI: even if it is brown and mixed with mucus) and I have no way to tell if it's a result of the triplet that was lost - there was still some material in that amniotic sac, which may well be where this is coming from.

I'm oddly comforted by the fact that I have been slightly more naseous, and hungry when I'm not nauseous (in fact, the hunger is pretty much constant now). That and my cervix is still low, closed and hard. I take all of these things and the lack of any kind of cramps to mean that everything is still ok.

I need a nap though... I've got a lot of catching up to do, which I'll likely do tomorrow. It seems like it was an exciting week though.
I'm in my 30s, and having #6, but I have been lurking here, since I am in school for my Masters and working PT (I'm going to be a pastor when I grow up!) for the first time instead of being a SAHM FT and a lot of mamas here seem to be in the same boat. Anyhow, the reason I am posting is to reassure you, mama. My third pregnancy I miscarried/resorbed/had a disappearing twin (depending who you talked to and the day of the week.) at 14 weeks gestation.(I didn't know I was pg w/ twins when my water broke and I started bleeding, I just thought I miscarried the pregnancy) I had ultrasounds the entire pregnancy to monitor the "byproducts of pregnancy" (sack, fluid, placenta) being resorbed and I bled the entire pregnancy. (It varied in quantity and from red to brown) There was also an extra lobe and gristly stuff in the placenta from my daughter's twin being resorbed. But she was born perfectly healthy at 41 weeks. So don't worry too much about the bleeding. It seems to come with the territory. I hope that reassures you!

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 AM

Hi Ladies!!!

Sorry I've been MIA around here. Just read up on several pages of posts trying to catch up while deciding to have birthday breakfast cake at 8 am. I can't believe this is my last birthday as a "non-mom". Wow.

PiePie - your psychiatrist needs a kick in the a$$!!!

Minnow -
Quote:
Omigosh! First of all, earlier I was like, "hey, isn't it a coincidence that all of us that post in the pregnant WITH NUMBER ONE thread are having our first babies?" Um, duh?
omg LOL!!!!!

Emily - Good luck on your ultrasound!!

Becky - That's GREAT news about the daycare situation

And congrats to all the half-wayers!! Here's my 20 week old big ole' belly:

20 week # 1

20 week # 2

and the 20 week old ultrasound:

20 week U/S

The funny thing about the ultrasound was that whenever the tech tried to get near the hands to measure them, the baby would form a clenched fist at the U/S rod as if to put up a fighting stance and tell them "Get out of my space!!"

I *think*.
That today.
I will go out.
And buy my first official gender neutral onsies.
Because I have bought N-O-T-H-I-N-G so far.

And check this out, my MIL who wants to throw us a baby shower (I say "us" b/c I made it very clear that this was not to be a girls only event and that I wanted my husband there as he is just as much of part of this as I am so they're throwing us a BBQ shower) said that they won't host it till after the baby is born. Her family side is Scottish and apparently it's a superstition that it's bad luck to host one before the baby is born.

Anyone else have any family or cultural traditions that are like that?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Alex :

Congrats on finding out the gender, and you belly looks great! I've heard that lots of traditions don't do any ceremonies until the baby is born, basically because they don't want to jinx it. It's awesome that your MIL is throwing you a shower but I imagine it's frustrating not knowing what you're getting until the last minute. Maybe you could emphasize your registry so you can check it and see what people have bought? Of course if they wait til the last minute to buy that won't work either, huh?

Enjoy you last non-mom birthday and having cake for breakfast before you have to be a good role model.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the wishes Dee!!

Ladies I almost forgot to share this. My friend Sam who has 3 kids and all of which she had in the late summer, told me to go look for some jersey skirts as she said they were her lifesavers in the hot summer months (she just wore them with longer tunic style tank tops) AND because of the stretch in them, they're very pregnancy friendly even though they're not maternity wear, they can easily be used as so.

So I came across one in H&M that I picked up but then I found these:

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/produc...294&pid=455741

...which I hope they have in stock today at the mall (you never know with Canadian Old Navy stores). And b/c they're roll down you can also do the reverse and use them as a belly panel just by getting 1 or 2 sizes up from your normal size to accomodate. Or so I hope.

And then there's these:

http://store.americanapparel.ca/rsa2301.html

And I am finding that I am liking the tunic tanks at Bluenotes for their stretch and length. They totally work for a growing belly.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrey View Post
Sorry I've been MIA around here. Just read up on several pages of posts trying to catch up while deciding to have birthday breakfast cake at 8 am. I can't believe this is my last birthday as a "non-mom". Wow.
Alex - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Was your birthday yesterday? If so, you share a birthday with my sister I hope you enjoyed your last non-mommy b-day (even though you already are a mommy, it is just that the kiddo is super dependent and super portable right now). BTW, I ALWAYS think it is okay to eat cake for breaskfast (what the heck do people think doughnuts are?) and I strongly suspect that the calories might not even count when it is b-day cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
Congrats on finding out the gender, and you belly looks great!
What?! Did I miss it? What is the gender of the baby? Ack! I want to know. I thought Alex was buying gender neutral stuff which implied NOT knowing the gender.

Speaking of shopping/buying baby stuff. I spent all day looking at bedding, cribs, strollers, car seats, Pack N Plays, and clothes at baby stores and really freaked myself out (some how I *thought* looking at everything would help me make a decision. WRONG. Apparently I just need to be online researching, then write a list of EXACTLY what I want to see in person (ignoring all other things regardless of how cute of wonderful they might look because as far as I can tell unresearched thing = potential deathtrap/waste of money) and make a decision from there. This whole baby buying stuff is just way too overwhelming. So after all of that, I stoppped by the thrift store on the way home and spent $10 on 7 gender neutral baby outfits (onsies and sleepers) because I HAD to do something to make my day feel productive AND because we hadn't bought a single thing for the baby yet. So despite the horrific experiences in the baby stores, the buying has begun. DHs news when I got home was that he had completed Grand Auto Theft II and had ordered III from Amazon. So I guess it is good news that at least one of us was successful yesterday
Old 04-15-2007, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Emily I'm a dumba$$. I read about the 20 week u/s and somehow inserted the word "non" into "official gender neutral onesies." I thought Alex just wasn't ready to share yet.

Please let us (me) know what items you finally decide on. I know as a researcher type you're totally freaking about all the choices and trying to pick the best things. I did that for choosing a TV and laptop, I can't imagine how hard it is for baby items! I saw a Kolcraft Cuddle n Care bassinet at the thirft store for $40 but I didn't know anything about it and left empty-handed, no onesies, no mat clothes, not even a darn belt.

Emily I'm sorry your DH is so uninvolved in your pregnancy. Have you talked to him about being scared of the uncertainties & how life will change with the baby? It sounds like he's scared out of his wits and is trying to escape reality with his video games. It's hard for me to talk about negative things without crying hysterically, so that makes it harder for my DH to voice his feelings, but I try to share mine too & I think it brings us closer.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:31 PM

Katie - thanks for the positive words! It helps my mind rest a bit.

Emily - I bought the consumer reports book on baby products to help with my research. They seem to cover everything (they even have a section on slings, although I haven't looked at it to carefully yet). Can you tell I research to much?

Alex - happy birthday! I didn't know that my last birthday would be my last one not as a mommy. I kinda wish I'd gotten that moment to just go wild (I turned 30 too, so it would have been crazy!)

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrey View Post
I have that skirt in black. it is cute and swingy and appropriate for work. unfortunately the first time i wore it i got food stains on it and i haven't done laundry since. :
Old 04-15-2007, 10:53 PM

I write to confess that I don't welcome baby's kicks with joy the way I'm supposed to. They don't exactly hurt, but they feel weird, and not in a good way. I thought I would rejoice at that reminder of what's to come! Pregnancy is not what I expected.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
I write to confess that I don't welcome baby's kicks with joy the way I'm supposed to. They don't exactly hurt, but they feel weird, and not in a good way. I thought I would rejoice at that reminder of what's to come! Pregnancy is not what I expected.
That is so funny. My sister asked me tonight what the baby felt like when it moved and I said, "It's like having a goldfish flopping around in your tummy - it doesn't hurt or anything, but it doesn't feel 'right' either". I meant it, but looking back on it now, it was not the most maternal thing to say.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Emily, wow, your u/s is so soon! Mine is a week from today!! On the buying-things topic, I asked some mamas on another board that I'm on what I'd need to register for. I will copy and paste some of the relevant posts here to help you all out! It's been very helpful for me!

Christy, sorry your spotting returned -- hopefully it's just from the lost triplet and nothing to be further concerned about.

Dee, how was your first appt???

Alex! Great belly pix! You look fabulous!! And your little baby is precious! I'm avoiding buying clothes because apparently that's all people buy you whenbyou're pregnant. Have fun picking out onesies! And happy birthday!! Oh, and I also have two of those fold over knit skirts that I got over the summer... I was actually thinking they'd be great maternity wear when I got them. They're SOOO comfy!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:39 PM

Ok, here's what I found on another bulletin board from mamas that I know well (many are AP) regarding what to register for. Yes, this is LONG!

From one mama:

Quote:
I'd register for 2 car seats. one convertible and one regular that goes with a stroller (like pops in and out). We have a Graco and like it. We don't use the stroller all that often (only on super long walks or for the grandparents b/c they like to walk with him in it) since we wear him, but for when we do use it, we like it. It is kinda bulky and takes up space, but I found the more sleeker, "cooler" strollers to be $$$. That said, we'll probably get a lighter stroller once he grows out of teh car seat attachment to be honest.
My question:
Are Activity Mats worth it?

Quote:
yes! i mean, i find myself to be very AP, and many AP people call activity mats "subsitute mommies" (or worse) but whatevs...E LOVES to look at the mirror attachment and bat at the hanging toys. But, it did take him a while to enjoy the thing. I'd say around 2 months or so he really started digging it. Now he likes it in 20-30 minute increments, maybe 2-3 times a day. (so, it's helpful for him to be playing on it while i go and get dressed or am cooking dinner, etc...)
From the same mama to a 3-month old:

Quote:
i find a dresser/changing table to be really worth it. moreso than a crib in our personal experience. E sleeps in bed with us, but his changing table is in another room ("his" room). It's really not that big a deal. Sure, in the beginning when he needed to be changed throughout the night (dipes, not clothes), it was a pain to go into the other room to do that (well, to be honest, i never did that, marc did). But now he sleeps through the night so we don't have to worry about nighttime changes. The rest of the day we're all over the house so going up to his room isn't that big a deal. Plus, this will become his dresser when he's bigger too.

Here are my suggestions:
A good ring sling
A mei tai of some sort (i totally pimp BabyHawk whenever i can- HIGH quality!)
a pouch (peanut shells are wonderful and other people seem to like karmababies or hotslings).
and a wrap - ellaroo makes a beautiful one.

oh, and register for baby legs, b/c if you're going to wear your baby, then it's totally great to have these for the gaps b/t pants/socks. plus they're just so darn cute that once you have one pair you want more, more, more!!!

oh, register for a good diaper bag or two. we got one from eddie bauer that we really like, plus a backpack style one from babies r us.

also, if you will be pumping, put that stuff on the registry b/c it's $$$.
This post below was from someone who knows that we don't have a washer/dryer -- so she increased the quantity of stuff because she didn't have a w/d either in the beginning:

Quote:

We had like at least 6 sheets for the co-sleeper/pack and play.

3-4 sheets for the crib, 2 mattress pads

15 Burp Cloths

Get yourself a TON of bibs. He/she will spit up and once they get to that drooling stage, it's OVER without a washer and dryer.

Baby shoes are completely worthless. Socks or Robeez type shoes are the way to go.

The highchair we use was just recalled but it is good for folding away in tiny spaces (our old place was small).

Bebe pods are neat but Bumbo seats have more of a give to them and aren't as stiff as plastic bebe pods.

Get yourself like 2-3 covers for your boppy.

BOUNCER, sometimes this was the only thing that would sooth Aidan when he was little.

Swings are totally optional in my opinion. Aidan hated his until he was old enough not to feel like eh was flailing himself backwards each time.

Without a w/d you'll need at least 4-5 diaper changing pads (especially if you have a boy imo) and another 5-6 waterproof pads that can go over them if he tinkles.
Same mama recounting what she registered for and what she liked/didn't like:

Quote:

Car Seat-- Totally used it but I wish we would have gotten one that would have gone up to 30 pounds since he was so big he only used this until he was like 3 months old and then it was a total waste. I love the BRitax Marathon we have now, and maybe we should have just gotten that, but it's AWESOME to be able to take baby with you everywhere without waking him up.

Newborn to Toddler Tub -- Used it for a little while

Baby Einstein discovery bouncer seat -- Saved our life!

Healthcare/grooming Kit, toothbrush, medicine dropper, temp tester, scissors, treezers, aspirator Aspirator- I ended up needing more than just one!
Thermometer I got the ear kind and it's quick and easy

Bumbo seat/Bebe Pod

Montior- Fisher price -- I use his a lot- it's called a sight and sounds because it lights up if he makes a noise.
Boppy and two covers -- Like I said, we use three
Pack and Play -- I probably could have done without this and definitely wouldn't have used it if we had a co-sleeper. Now it's a collector for toys, he will NOT sleep in this if we're out of town either.
exesaucer from Baby Einstein -- AWESOME! He loves his. I usually sit with him while he plays with it but it's great to see how his little mind works.
Contoured changing pad for on top of the changing table -- Worth it!

Avent newborn starter kit
Avent microwavable sterilizer -- Great!
Avent bottle and food warmer -- I use this like everyday
2 sets of washcloths -- We ended up with like 10-15 of them
2 sets of burping cloths -- Hahaha
diaper genie -- If you using sposies, a great buy IMO.
Feeding accessory organizer ??? -- what was I thinking??
Avent breast pump -- A total waste. It was 150 bucks and I ended up having to rent a pump for 75 a month anyways. If i were you I'd wait to see what I needed and maybe spend a LITTLE on a manual pump.
Thermal tote for breast milk -- If you use Avent bottles, the avent tote is way too small for two bottles, go with another brand.
bottle brush
Dishwasher basket

3 Mattrress pad for crib
4 sheet savers -- Waste of money and I think they're a hazard
4 lap pads -- These ended being used for his diaper changes
2 hooded towelrobes Robes -- were a pain to use so we ended up getting more hooded towels.
10 receiving blankets -- TOTAL waste of money. If I were you I'd get some swaddling blankets-- they do the same thing and you won't need a ton of them
16 bibs
Mattress for pack and play -- Didn't end up getting it because they're a hazard
Mattress pad for pack and play -- Didn't get one.
3 sheets for pack and play -- We ended up with around 10 after we were done buying them.
4 changing pad covers

Misc:

2 sets of little toys that hang from the car window or the car seat
Baby Einstein- Baby Monet
“ “- Baby Mozart Personally, we never really let him watch tv, but we will occasionally put these on and they're great.
Ocean Wonders Aquarium for crib -- thumbs up
Strap covers for car seat -- A total waste
teethers -- Lots of these, you need lots of these, lol.
Bear with the womb sounds -- Waste!

Frivilous stuff that Aidan loved:

A little mobile over his diaper changer to keep him occupied while I change his diaper.

A stepping stool/knee rest and elbow rest so I don't kill my back while I'm washing him in the tub

Little extenders that you get at www.onestepahead.com that extend the use of onsies as he/she gets longer.

Pacifier pod

A teether that cvibrates instead of being cold so he can take it with him everywhere

Breathable bumpers for his crib-- they're less of a SIDS risk
Another mama:

Quote:

Don't register for clothes, blankets, or bath sets b/c you will get a TON of those! Extra washclothes come in handy if you want to register for those. We use them for after-meal cleanup now that she's eating solids, wiping her nose when she has a cold, and bathing.

Taryn loved the activity mat & her exersaucer!!! She had a blast batting and grabbing the dangling objects. We had one w/ a bell in it that she just loved! Unfortunately she's a big kid and outgrew everything way too soon (exersaucer, jumperoo, bumbo seat)... Poor thing.
From another mama:

Quote:
We used that snuggle nest thing and that was great for us.
*A swing or bouncer can come in handy(keep in mind your child may hate it,but it always worked for us that I'd put Makena in it while he slept so I could make myself food and do school work with just my own body)
* If you'll be pumping, you'll need a pump and bottles and all that stuff
* I do think a boppy is nice- even if only to sit your sore postpartum ass on while you nurse the baby! I had thrush with Makena and this helped immensely just because I had to switch positions often due to the discomfort.
*You'll need clothes, but not a ton of newborn stuff, as they grow so fast.
*Diapers of your choice
*A sling or wrap or mei tei or whatever. We now have a n ergo too for long hikes and older months/years (some of my friends have a kelty and love it, but it is mucho $$$)
*Nipple cream
* A place to store clothes and baby paraphernalia(for Makena we have a dresser, with this new one we have baskets that sit on said dresser)
* A Car seat- we first had a convertible and it was a bloody disaster! It think it had to do with my car though and it couldn't recline right, so poor Makena would slump and it's difficult to switch them from car to car.
*Swaddling blankets(receiving blankets are ok, but typically not big enough)
* A mobile maybe (Makena and I are making one for this baby) and some simple soft toys for when they can grab
*We're getting a lambskin this time from a friend (we get SO much stuff just handed down to us!)
* We had a play mat with Makena. He didn't use it a ton, he was a spring/summer babe and we were outdoors a lot. I think I gave it away. I almost bought one yesterday for this baby at a consignment sale, but decided not to...I am not sure why. It think it's not necessary, but your call. A lot of babies love them
*Last thing- if I could get someone to splurge on me big time...I'd want a nursing glider/rocking char thing with a foot rest. This...will never happen...but it'd be pretty nice!!!
I am trying not to repeat what other people have said...but that's our list. We need much much less now with #2.

From a mama of a 2-year old:

Quote:
Swaddling Blankets, one called the miracle blakent saved my life in the first 12 weeks of Julias life..

I have a babyhawk and a Ergo, Julia wasnt a fan of being worn, for some reason, I think it has to do with the fact that she was able to crawl at 4 months old, she didnt like being contrained, she loves the ergo now, but would rather walk..

A stroller, I know, maybe you want to wear the babe, but there are going to be plenty of times when the baby gets older and BIGGER that you might not feel like wearning your heavy one year old.. I have two strollers, a Peg Perago P3 and a Combi something or another..
Another mama:

Quote:
peanut shell was the best investment i ever made. patapum comes a close second since my hubby loves it and marin jumps into his arms still to be carried in it. amby hammock was the worst. marin hated it and it took up so much space. would definitely ask for some cool wipe carrier to put in your diaper bag for the foo foo stuff you won't buy yourself but can get away with on your registry. definitely invest in a good breastpump if you plan to bf. yeah shoes are useless - cute but useless. hardly ever used the changing table. love the baby sacks for nighttime - great for changing - marin wore them to bed forever. love the play mat i got and found it very useful and not sure about ap since i would sit with her most of the time while she was kicking and batting at stuff. exersaucer is a necessity and i would go big and get the best one you can afford - you won't need it right away but when it is time you will get some free time! we called it marin's office Wink and she loved it for about 4 months. oh and i love our stroller - it is a maclaren techno something (forgetting right now) anyway it is small, lightweight and once you figure it out you actually can put it away with one hand.
Another mama:

Quote:
The things I have used most with Terra are her Graco SnugRide carseat (its a travel system w/ Metrolite stroller, which I love), an extra carseat base for second car, her Snuggle Nest in our bed, bassinette, dresser w/ changing table, bouncer seat, activity mat, diapers, onesies (she is always hot), a few sleep and play outfits, socks, recieving blankets for swaddling, my breast pump.
I have a Peanut Shell and Maya Wrap and like them both. I also got a Bjorn for $15 and think its worth about $25, so great if you can get it used. As far as carriers go, I think that every baby is different so I wouldn't tell you to just go buy one, but if you could borrow a few and try them out that is a great thing to do. If your area has a baby wearing group there may be some moms willing to loan one out that they don't use and then you can see if you like it and baby likes it.
Also, on the breast pump issue, I've been told that if you're returning to work, the Medela Pump in Style Advanced is the top of the line for pumping to keep up supply and for storing milk for later. It's pricey, though, but I've heard it's worth it!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 PM

Thanks Becky!!! This is super helpful. I really have to start "The List"!

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
Old 04-16-2007, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info Becky, I haven't even thought about all that stuff but I guess I should...it's amazing how many of those things have already been offered to me by other people I work with!

Congrats to the half-wayers, Happy Birthday Alex, and hi to everyone...

Talked to the nurse at my OB's office and my bloodtest was positive for pregnancy She said it was a strong value...a nice strong pregnancy. Yay! I thought so but it's nice to hear. They're sending the doctor's order for my early u/s because "advanced maternal age". I'm just having a bit of a moral dilemna...I know it will probably be a trans-vaginal one, ew... I told my OB I wanted the least amount of poking and prodding possible, and I can't think of a single reason why I need to see this baby at 9 weeks, can anyone else? Other than I want to see it. But is that a good enough reason? Are ultrasounds traumatic for the baby or something, there seems to be some debate about its safety. I'm not sure what to do.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:33 PM

Grace, the trans-vaginal u/s really wasn't that bad. It was wierd but not uncomfortable or anything. If you really don't want one though, I can't see any reason why you would need to see the baby this early. Unless you think there's a chance of multiples. They wouldn't see much at 9 weeks, so I can't imagine why you'd need the u/s.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Also, on the breast pump issue, I've been told that if you're returning to work, the Medela Pump in Style Advanced is the top of the line for pumping to keep up supply and for storing milk for later. It's pricey, though, but I've heard it's worth it!
Some insurances (mine will pay 100%, and I didn't know this until another mama told me a week ago about this) will pay for a good electric breast pump like a Medela PIS. Sorry I'm not very good at lurking.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 04-17-2007, 12:48 AM

our health insurance doesn't cover a pump but we can get reimbursed for it thru our flexible savings acct (for pre-tax $ for medical purposes, for those of you US residents).
Old 04-17-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
our health insurance doesn't cover a pump but we can get reimbursed for it thru our flexible savings acct (for pre-tax $ for medical purposes, for those of you US residents).
Just wanted to say that while a breast pump, just to have a breast pump isn't covered by most insurances, sometimes you can get insurance to cover it if your pediatrician writes a prescription stating that the babe NEEDS breast milk (this works especially well for premature, low birth weight, or reflux babies, but I am sure that many breast feeding supportive peds are familar with the kind of terminology they need to use to get insurance to cover the pump).
Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Alex great find on those skirts! I found some similar gauchos that I thought would be great for summer too.

Becky thanks for the great info. I'm going to comb through that post when I'm making my registry at some point.

Julia congrats on the great blood test results! I've heard transvaginal u/s isn't bad either. You can always wait a few more weeks and have an abdominal u/s if you think it'll make you uncomfortable. Yeah, there's a lot of debate about the safety of u/s but I think the main point is that it's not unsafe. I'll probably have 2 out of sheer curiosity - to see how many and to determine gender.

Emily I'm getting so excited for your u/s! Are you going to find out the gender?

I've also heard that insurance companies will cover breast pumps, and pretty much anything else that a doc deems "medically necessary." One possibly helpful piece of advice is to rent a breastpump from the hospital before you buy one. Even if you're definitely planning on BFing (which I think most of us are), it might be worth it to do a trial run before you spend the big bucks. I like the Medela backpack a lot, and I love that their bottles are free from bisphenol A!

My first midwife appointment on Monday went well. Lots of paperwork, blood drawn (but it wasn't that bad) and finally tried to hear the heartbeat. I'm only 11 weeks so I wasn't going to be crushed if we couldn't hear it. She tried for a long time chasing the baby around, then finally found it for a split second. As soon as she said "that's it!" it was gone. I can't even really remember what it sounded like. She tried again for a few mins but didn't want to use the doppler for too long. So I heard it, but it was only semi-magical, dammit. I'm dying to hear it again.

I guess my midwife isn't used to dealing with a lot of prenatal testing. She offers the AFP screen, and I guess the quad screen later, but she's not familiar with the nuchal translucency test and I'd have to go to a specialist 1.5 hours away to get an amnio or CVS. Where did everyone get their info on these tests? I've been to babycenter and webmd but I want more info! Is it better to have a bunch of little tests or just go whole hog and have the amnio? Did anyone get an amnio? PiePie, you mentioned something about the timing of your NT scan with the AFP screen - could you tell me more about that? Sorry for all the questions!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:43 PM

Dee, no amnio here. No reason to have one.

I had the NT scan at 11 weeks that showed no higher risk, so we didn't even talk about more invasive testing. The NT scan is a combination blood test and ultrasound. A technician (they have to be specially trained to take the measurements, so you might have to go elsewhere for it. I had to go to one of the local hospitals) takes measurements of the space at the back of the baby's neck, and sometimes of the nose bone. That, combined with your blood test result, will give you various odds for things like down syndrome and trisomy something-or-other. It's not invasive which I liked, but you have to be ready to possibly have to make the decision to have an amnio or CVS if the results show an increased risk.

I got talked into the AFP test at my 16 week appt. (which is just a blood screen) but never called for my results -- I'll get them Thursday when I go for my next appt. I assume that if there was a problem I would have heard from them. All they do is draw some blood. I think it looks at a special protein level in your blood to determine if there's a higher risk for spina bifida and other spinal cord defects. Again, non-invasive, but you'd have to deal with making the decision about more invasive tests if the results weren't favorable.

Best of luck! I know it's overwhelming, but you just take it one day at a time!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 PM

PRENATAL TESTING: In the Mothering magazine archives, I found an article about prenatal testing that spoke to me. It cited Kitzinger and, to a lesser extent, O'Mara. The factual premise is that amnios and CVS have a higher risk of precipitating a miscarriage than exists for the "problem" they are supposed to detect, i.e., Downs, for women in their 30's -- according to the numbers my MWs gave me, the balance tips at age 42 (I think that's age at time of birth). For us that was dispositive on not having those without any reason to suspect that a higher than average risk. My MWs don't exactly recommend against but you can tell they are; one said that some women persist in getting them because for them a child with Down's would be worse than a miscarriage. The thing about those tests is that they can give you a definite yes or no, whereas the other tests are only a 1 in x chance type conclusion, nothing definite. The Kitzinger book encourages a triple screen first, and an amnio (not a CVS, by then it would be too late) only if the triple screen shows an increased risk. My MWs said the newer thing is a quad screen plus nuchal translucency screen (that's an ultrasound that measures the thickness of the nape of baby's neck), and they encouraged me to have that. That is the standard of care in NYC and as recommended by ACOG for all women, regardless of which side of 35 you're on. So I caved on my anti-ultrasound-ness, for just this one, and had the nuchal screen. I should have had the blood test (quad screen) at that time, but the practitioner screwed up. If you have the blood test late, there is a higher risk of false positives. You cannot have the nuchal before 11 weeks and something days or after 13 weeks, 5 days (I came in just under the wire). Something to know about these tests -- what I thought the Mothering article was very eloquent on -- by their nature they generate anxiety waiting for the results, and of the "elevated risks" detected by the nuchal + quad, 39 out of 40 turn out to be false positives -- i.e., baby is fine, but you have to have an amnio to find that out, or wait for the birth (and go crazy in the meantime).
Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Becky and PiePie. I read some more stuff, especially from the Dr. Sears website, and I feel better about how low my risks are. I also didn't realize that amnio & CVS were still so risky - it's no wonder they're not the first line of testing. Haven't totally made up my mind yet but I'm not as freaked out as I was a few hours ago.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:56 AM

Dee - I have had very little in the way of prenatal testing (such is my midwifes preference and policy). No u/s before the 20 weeker (she would have done one if we had needed to [bleeding, no HB, or something] but since we heard the HB at every appointment and I wasn't having any problems she did not see the need). I did do the initial genetic testing and the HIV test, but very little else. Midwife doesn't offer the NT at 12 weeks and I refused the triple screen (too many chances of a level being off for no real reason and I did NOT want amnio which is really the only thing they can do if you have an abnormal reading), obviously no amnio. Before agreeing to a test I would ask myself, what will I do with the information. If the answer is "nothing" or "freak out" then I decided to skip it.

BTW, if the babe decides to be an exibitionist, we will be finding out the sex

User Tag List