Boy's name poll. :) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: So which name do you like best?
August 52 25.12%
Oscar 56 27.05%
Karl 14 6.76%
Roman 59 28.50%
Cyril (Cy) 21 10.14%
I'd really just prefer something more like "Bob" 5 2.42%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 03-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
I'm surprised people think August is feminine! Never heard that, but different takes on names are interesting.
Having a kid named August, I can assure you that people everywhere have the weirdest ideas about this name! Lots of people read it as a month name (like April, May, June) and for them it seems feminine based on this. They will ask if the child was born in August and be confused when you say no. people seem to have no sense that the MONTH was named AFTER a man - that it has been a name for a long, long time. We did not expect this, but we get it ALL THE TIME.

I have never met a girl with the name August, only heard rumors of them existing (although usually the reference is vague, so not much in terms of confirmed actually people!) Seems like an odd girl name to me because I don't see it as gender nuetral at all (it means KING afterall). That said, be warned: if you name a child after a king, expect him to act like one

So, those are my warnings -- it is not a name without complications

Also, people do like the nicknames Gus and Auggie, and we like them also actually, but by three my son wholly rejected such names and insists only on being called by his full name!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#62 of 66 Old 03-17-2007, 02:16 PM

I voted for August...ds' name is Augustus. DD calls him August. I did too at the beginning but now I call him Gus.

You've got my Grandfather's first and middle names on your list...Karl August!

If this next one is a boy, we've thought about Karl, but then we would be using two names from one Grand. I wonder if the other side of the family would be jealous.

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

#63 of 66 Old 03-17-2007, 02:34 PM

Cyril!!!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#64 of 66 Old 03-17-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
Having a kid named August, I can assure you that people everywhere have the weirdest ideas about this name! Lots of people read it as a month name (like April, May, June) and for them it seems feminine based on this. They will ask if the child was born in August and be confused when you say no. people seem to have no sense that the MONTH was named AFTER a man - that it has been a name for a long, long time. We did not expect this, but we get it ALL THE TIME.

I have never met a girl with the name August, only heard rumors of them existing (although usually the reference is vague, so not much in terms of confirmed actually people!) Seems like an odd girl name to me because I don't see it as gender nuetral at all (it means KING afterall). That said, be warned: if you name a child after a king, expect him to act like one

So, those are my warnings -- it is not a name without complications

Also, people do like the nicknames Gus and Auggie, and we like them also actually, but by three my son wholly rejected such names and insists only on being called by his full name!
totally interesting! I'm glad someone who knows the history of the name piped up.
#65 of 66 Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I like hearing about all these nicknames! So far I'm the only one who calls our Augustus Gussy. My dd and my MIL both call him Gus-Gus. Like one Gus isn't good enough. Maybe it's the one syllable part of it that's hard. But I love Gussy, and not just because it rhymes so well with fussy (which he's really not that often!)

Mommy to kids

#66 of 66 Old 03-17-2007, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

I minored in art history and always loved all the Augustus statues. He looked kinda hot and serene with that little curl on his forehead. Of course he was supposed to have been a hunchback according to some sources, but oh well. Ok that makes me want to use the name more. Not the hunchback part, but my little affection for that emporer. I never really thought about the connection before...

I think if I had gone with Roman for #2, #3 boy pick would be August for sure. As is, I'm waffling between the two. (Of course it could still be a girl, ha, but I doubt it. And that name is set in stone as Violet.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page