bleeding question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 03-14-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One more trait of possible interest- the bleeds seem to happen all at once- nothing, then a little gush (a few drops? hard to tell amount, say just bigger than a 50 cent piece on a pad) then nothing.

-Angela
#32 of 49 Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 PM

Do you have a diva cup? I don't know if you can use them in pregnancy but it might give you an idea of how much bleeding you actually have.
#33 of 49 Old 03-14-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

I don't, but I've considered getting something of the sort (I know there are "instead" cups that are disposable that you can buy.) I might ask my midwife her opinion on it.

I can easily liken the amount of bleeding to a period.... it's just spaced differently. (not as much as the first couple days -and I don't have heavy periods- about as much as day 3 or so for me) but again, it's in (sorry for the imagery) spurts.

-Angela
#34 of 49 Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know absolutely nothing about placental issues, but your description of when/how the bleeding happens sounds a little like when your water breaks... when you stand up, the pressure brings it down to a trickle, but if you lie down, you might lose more water. I'm not suggesting that your water has broken, just that when you're standing up, the downwards pressure might be, I don't know, keeping things in place more, and when you lie down, the change in position allows more bleeding? Just a thought.

I hope everything turns out fine.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#35 of 49 Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post
I know absolutely nothing about placental issues, but your description of when/how the bleeding happens sounds a little like when your water breaks... when you stand up, the pressure brings it down to a trickle, but if you lie down, you might lose more water. I'm not suggesting that your water has broken, just that when you're standing up, the downwards pressure might be, I don't know, keeping things in place more, and when you lie down, the change in position allows more bleeding? Just a thought.

I hope everything turns out fine.
Interesting idea. I had pondered something similar. Though now it happens durring the day as well....

-Angela
#36 of 49 Old 03-14-2007, 09:26 PM

There are a lot of possiblities to the spurts of blood: cervix opening and closing or pressure of blood flow changing or baby moving away from the cervix...or or or.
#37 of 49 Old 03-14-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
There are a lot of possiblities to the spurts of blood: cervix opening and closing or pressure of blood flow changing or baby moving away from the cervix...or or or.
A million possibilities... sigh.

I just want it to stop.

-Angela
#38 of 49 Old 03-14-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

oh, and today it's definitely bright red (crayons next to toilet... no not really.... )

-Angela
#39 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 11:26 AM

Angela,

Just wonder how you are today. I always enjoy reading your posts and hope you're well & that the bleeding stops.
#40 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 PM

I bled(not spotting, actual bleeding) my entire pregnancy with DD, not spotting, actual bleeding, sometimes there would be a week or even two weeks with no bleeding, but more often it was constant, they never figured anything out, she is 4 1/2 years old now.

I spotted (or am spotting) for both my other two pregnancies, with ds it was just a few times, after sex or internal exams, nothing major, this time it's at least a few times a week with no known cause...though we (peri and I) are not even attempting to discover a cause due to past medical history, we just figure it's normal for me.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#41 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Head in a better space this morning. Thanks all for the thoughts.

-Angela
#42 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 01:42 PM

Hi Angela-
Sorry to hear that you're dealing with this... even for the most level headed and zen mama on the planet it's enough to make your head spin bit.

I just noticed the post and wanted to mention that a very close friend of mine had bleeding exactly like what you are experiencing, and it was a subchorionic sp??) hematoma. Anyways, her baby was fine. And while I'm certainly no doctor, I have experienced miscarriage a couple of times and I would not think that after this extended period of bleeding, you would not be cramping yet if it were a miscarriage. So that's good.

I'm also thinking that maybe it's a placenta/positioning thing that is aggravated when you lay down.

Anyways, I'm not much help at all but I wanted to respond with what little I know and also to say that I really respect the fact that you kept your principles in the foreground, and didn't go running off for the quickest ultrasound that you could get. That takes strength.

Take care and let us know how what your midwife thinks.
#43 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Actually it was the pissy skeptic in me that kept me from running off for an u/s... thinking went something like this:

well, either they can tell something, like previa or other placental problem, or they won't know WHAT the heck it is.... if they don't know what the heck it is, they will want to find out.... If it's previa or another placental issue then they'll just want MORE u/s later to "prove" that it's okay....

My head is a party let me tell you

-Angela
#44 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 03:43 PM

Just wanted to send some hugs your way. My girlfriend had the same type of bleeding, and she ended up with placenta previa. She delivered a healthy baby right on time. Granted she was on bedrest from 24 weeks on. I just remember her talking about how weird the bleeding was, more so when she was resting, than standing.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#45 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM

I just had to chime in and say that you are a rock for waiting it out! You are totally right about not being able to do anything just yet, and that an u/s right now would absolutely lead to future u/s. As long as you are okay, just try with the fetoscope and then with the doppler if necessary.

I would side witht he PP's who are suspectng placental issues. It sounds to me like placental bleeding - bright red, period like, no clotting. Frustrating, but on the bright side no clots means that your uterine lining is intact. (trying to be positive!) So many mamas have this mystery bleeding and deliver wonderfully healthy babes - you will be one of them, too!

Thinking of you!
#46 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. Good day so far. Fingers crossed tight.

-Angela
#47 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 10:01 PM

Actually, if you use the ultrasonographer most of the midwives here use SHE looks at the u/s and tells you what she sees. And it's YOUR decision whether or not you want to do more with her information. She gives you pictures and a measurement print out. She can check blood flow...all sorts of stuff. She works in OB offices, but she is independent. They hire her, not she works for them.

And if she doesn't know. She would just tell you. And no one can make you do more. I doubt your midwife is going to insist on something.

Glad you're feeling better today though.
#48 of 49 Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah. Not worried about anyone making me as such, mostly just being useless. Talked to my midwife tonight, she doesn't usually suggest u/s before 20 weeks anyway. She said we might do one late to check the placenta, but not much point right now as long as things are currently okay.

Good day (knock wood) In a good head space.

-Angela
#49 of 49 Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 PM

I had marginal placenta previa and experienced similar bleeding at 17 weeks. Everything ended up perfect and I went on to have a natural vaginal delivery. With marginal placenta previa the placenta moves up and away from the cervix as your uterus grows.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page