How do you do it? Compression Stockings... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got fitted yesterday with a pair of compression stockings for leg and foot swelling and was told to wear them from as soon as I wake up (before getting out of bed) until the last minute of the day going back to bed. Sounds great - but then it occurred to me last night, when am I supposed to take a shower? If I take them off after breakfast in the morning to take one, I was told not to use lotion on my legs because the oils break down the stockings - so over time - yuck! Also, they said once I take them off during the day, I probably won't be able to get them back on again. If I take a shower at night - when my leg swelling is the worst - isn't that defeating the purpose of wearing them at all?

Anyway, I'm just curious. For those of you out there who wear them, what do you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-16-2007, 01:20 PM

get up, take a shower, lay back down, put your legs up, and in about 1 minute the blood drains back down to where it should be -- then put them on, legs up! (pretty comical when a PG lady does this, ask my DH)

when you take them off at night, as long as you wont be on your feet (say, if you are watching tv) its ok not to wear them for a few hours before bed....just keep your feet elevated as much as possible.

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#3 of 3 Old 03-16-2007, 01:30 PM

No question, they are a pain in the butt. I had to wear them in my previous pregnancy through the summer because of my vericose veins and superficial clots, and now, will have to wear them all through this one and that mean through the summer into October when I am due. No sandals, and extra heat, nice.

I agree that you can take a shower in the morning and then put your legs up again and put them on. I actually take my shower at night so I take them off then. If I don't go to bed right away, I am usually at the couch with my legs up. I do use lotion occasionally because the hose seem to make my skin flaky so after a shower and a shave, I will put some on, but then I'm not putting the hose on right away either.

HTH! I hope you find a system that works for you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page