Miso soup? good or bad? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doula told me that Miso is good during pregnancy and I happen to love it so I bought some at the store. I was reading that it's unpasteurized which I understand is why it's beneficial but I guess I've become scared of the word "unpasteurized" and just want to make sure having miso soup is indeed safe during pregnancy! Any thoughts?
#2 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 03:55 PM

Well, miso is a fermented product (like yogurt with live cultures), so pasteurization would defeat the purpose.

I love miso soup, pregnant or not. But I don't like the pre-made versions (they taste more like the packaging than miso to me). I always keep miso on hand, since it's quite easy to make from scratch.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Well, miso is a fermented product (like yogurt with live cultures), so pasteurization would defeat the purpose.
Well actually even the kefir and yogurt I buy (organic with live cultures) is still made with pasteruized milk so I just wanted to make sure
#4 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 PM

my midwife also recommends it and i have been enjoying it a lot. i think in this country people worry a lot about unpasteurized but in other countries people worry less in japan i am sure plenty of pregnant women joy it with no problems. if you are really worried you can add the miso paste to the water or broth sooner and boil it which gets rid of a lot of the beneficial stuff but also kills anything it same as if it was pasteurized.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#5 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 05:02 PM

i'm a big fan of raw, fermented things (like miso, pickles, kraut, etc) and personally think it's a great thing to include in a pg diet... my mw agrees although she has said the you could def find people who say it's not good to eat while pg...

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#6 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 PM

I personally feel that naturally RAW fermented products are much healthier to consume during pregnancy. People have been fermenting one thing or another since the beginning of time, without refridgeration.Pasteurization kills ALL bacteria, freindly or not. Leaving you with a product that is highly susceptable to bad bacteria.

I am going to drink raw milk and kefir and all kinds of fermented food this next pregnancy

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#7 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 PM

My SIL is Japanese and I bet she had miso soup 6 times a week. She eats very healthy and had 2 lovely healthy boys

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#8 of 9 Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 PM

I think the unpasturised concern would come from media info about unpasturised cheese/milk, which can carry listeria, which can cause miscarraiges.

Miso would be fine, and I never worried about unpasturised milk either.
#9 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybemama View Post
Well actually even the kefir and yogurt I buy (organic with live cultures) is still made with pasteruized milk so I just wanted to make sure
I hope they are not pasteurized AFTER the culturing. That would be a waste.

Miso is made from rice and beans and salt. None of those really need to be pasteurized before culturing.

I love miso, but I am staying away from soy. In November, my father and I made a bunch of batches of miso from white beans instead of soy beans, and put them away in the basement. It takes 1-2 years for it to be ready!

-------

Don't boil your miso soup! Then it becomes basically a rice and bean puree soup. The whole point of miso soup is the live cultures.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page