How can I treat a sinus headache? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is SO much pollen in the air right now there's a yellow film on everything.

For the past few weeks, I've had a headache more often than not. I'm sure it's my sinuses, since I've been stuffed up and sniffly since I got pregnant, and it's worsened recently.

What can I do to relieve some of the pressure and get rid of these headaches?

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#2 of 11 Old 03-24-2007, 08:34 AM

I wish I could help more, but I'm in the same boat with sinus issues-- the other night, it felt like someone filled my entire sinus cavity with glue... Hot showers and steam help a lot, and since I'm still working myself up to getting a Neti pot

I also like to apply gentle pressure w/ my fingertips to my forehead and cheeks, over the sinus cavities... It seems to help get the gunk moving, at least enough that I can blow my nose.

Good luck! I'm sure other mamas on the board will have even better solutions for you.

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#3 of 11 Old 03-24-2007, 09:10 AM

Yes, get a neti pot and check with someone to see if tea tree oil would be safe to add ...one drop is supposed to help kill someone of the yucky stuff from allergies.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#4 of 11 Old 03-24-2007, 09:18 AM

You can also put eucaliptis (sp?) oil in boiling water, put a towel over your head and breath in the steam, it will help open up your head- just don't put the oil on your skin, it can get into the blood stream.

I like the neti pot too.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#5 of 11 Old 03-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma View Post
You can also put eucaliptis (sp?) oil in boiling water, put a towel over your head and breath in the steam, it will help open up your head- just don't put the oil on your skin, it can get into the blood stream.

I like the neti pot too.

I put a little eucalyptus oil in the warm/hot shower. I had a sinus infection a couple of weeks ago and that helped. Also, if you see a chiropractor, let them know and they might do the pressure on your sinuses thing. Mine did and it helped sooo much. A couple of times, a few hours after I saw mine and she did the sinus pressure massage, all of this stuff came out (sorry for the tmi) and it was a great relief.

Good luck and feel better!

SAHM and loving it with DH, DS (8/4/2007) and DS (10/10/2010)
#6 of 11 Old 03-24-2007, 10:08 PM

: right with you on this one....

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#7 of 11 Old 03-25-2007, 03:51 AM

OK I am a bit experienced with headaches and migraines, having then since I was 7 and having had 4 concussions. Peppermint oil massaged with some lotion around the temples, and CAREFULLY around the sinuses, and neck. Ice packs work well for me, or of course hot baths. Or try boiling water, add a decent amount of salt, and put your head with a towel draped over you and the pot. Inhale deeply, if you can! But that has saved me from some serious infections. You can also use salt water with one of those baby bugger-suckers to squirt the mix in your sinuses to prevent or stop an infection. Feverfew has really really helped me reduce my headaches, as I used to have then constantly. caffeine can also help since it shrinks the blood vessels and some of the pain is due to the vessels being inflamed and putting pressure on the tissues and thus pain. When I was pregnant I felt that coffee was a little better to try before I took an OTC or Rx for a migraine, so I would also do that first to see if it would help enough.

Mama to Hailey Rose '02 Pro- crunchy
#8 of 11 Old 03-25-2007, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am another neti pot fan I used to suffer from chronic sinus infections during allergy season, but have not had one in almost 2 years because I have been drinking Apple Cider Vinegar every day. I just make a pitcher of it with water. My measurements are not exact anymore because I just go by taste, but 1-2 tbl spoons a day is what I am guessing that I drink. I am 22 week pregnant and it has saved me from heartburn as well as alleiviated my allergy symptoms. It is worth a try! My favorite is Braggs brand. You want to make sure it is the kind with the "mother". That has all the live good stuff that you need...

Good Luck!
Jessica
#9 of 11 Old 03-25-2007, 07:20 PM

I just soldiered through the mother of all sinus infections. Everybody told me to go to the doctor and get antibiotics but I saw that as a total last resort... and managed to get through it without. Here's what helped:

1. neti pot -- multiple times a day. Yeah, I was terrified of using it (who pours water into the nose unless they are at Gitmo!??!) but it really really helped. The first time felt a little burny but after that it was just fine.

2. lots of really steamy showers

3. breathing steam from a bowl

4. humidifier at night. I had TWO in my bedroom!

5. Lots and LOTS of SLEEP!!!!!!! (I seriously think this one is the most key)

6. Hot packs on my sinus areas when it felt really bad

I did also take tylenol from time to time when the headache got too intense to handle.

HANG IN THERE. I will admit that it took a lot longer than I hoped to rid myself of the sinus infection, and that the whole thing REALLY SUCKED, but I was happy I managed to get through it without any antibiotics.
#10 of 11 Old 03-25-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth&Bunnies View Post
Feverfew has really really helped me reduce my headaches, as I used to have then constantly.
Careful. I was doing some googling and saw multiple sources stating that feverfew is contraindicated during pregnancy because of the potential for uterine stimulation/contractions -- it is actually sometimes used to induce menstruation.

I'm not an herbalist or anything but feverfew might not be a good plan.
#11 of 11 Old 03-26-2007, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gosh, do you live in my town?! EVERYTHING is yellow right now. I don't typically have allergies (that I know of) but my sinuses are killing me. I am prone to sinus infections but it's not "looking" like an infection..yet.. but it's hard to know. Now DH is feeling awful, too.

Anyhow, homeopathics are safe during pregnancy, so you might look into some of the combination Sinus remedies or specific remedies for your symtoms. Today I was out and only had the Hylands Kids C+ Cold Tablets with me, and so I took the max recommended dose (for kids 6+!) and got some relief.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page