Heartburn and I'm Hungry! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What am I supposed to eat? I feel like if I eat something else today it will just get worse!! I ate some plain yogurt with honey thinking that would be safe and it got worse. It's lunchtime and I just can't think of what to eat that won't kill me. I mean I know at 28 weeks there is only so much I can do as baby and hormones are just pushing stomach acid up. Any suggestions for "gentle" food?

BTW I have never had heartburn before a couple of weeks ago and it really sucks!:

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2007, 03:40 PM

No advice, really, just that I feel you. Yogurt often helps me. My stomach also has a vast tolerance for granola that I really can't explain.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:06 PM

Have you tried papaya enzymes? I have seen them recommended for heart burn but do not have first hand experience.

What about peanut butter toast? Then try to sit or stand to help keep the acid down where it belongs.

I hope you feel better soon.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I have been munching papaya enzymes all day with a little relief while I am crunching, but it comes back.

Mmm PB toast sounds good.

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
Old 03-31-2007, 04:50 PM

eat some ice cream....the dairy will help ease the burning.

good luck
Old 03-31-2007, 05:20 PM

I ate tums like they were M&M's when I was pg w/ds. Also drank a lot of milk. I think the calcium helps. Haven't had too much trouble yet this time around (11 weeks) but I'm sure I'm in for it.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
Old 03-31-2007, 06:11 PM

tapioca or rice pudding.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:09 AM

I really feel for you. I honestly do.

When I was pregnant with DS I got heartburn in the 3rd trimester. Rennie helped immensely.

However with this pregnancy heartburn hit at 5-6 weeks and I am miserable both when I am hungry or when I've eaten.

Rennie isn't helping me this time at all. I read somewhere that in the early stages it is the hormones causing the heartburn so I am trying to suck it up and hope that it goes away really soon.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherubess View Post
... Rennie helped immensely.
What is rennie?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 PM

I have tried everything towards the end is gets so bad i get reflux pains in my chest, chocolcate is my worst enmey but I love love love it, so for now i am just trying not to eat chocolate, chips tea even getsa it going, but i have been taking pepcid otc chewable and mylanta works briefly but no cure, and ice cream seems to sooth it a bit. Gl finding relief...
Old 04-01-2007, 07:37 PM

munching on almonds helps me a ton. They've been a life saver for me this time around.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 04-01-2007, 07:45 PM

Be careful with ice cream and any other remedies that have or could have a lot of fat. The dairy may soothe but afterwards your stomach will hate you after it feels the same as it did before, if not wores, after dealing with all that fat.

ETA:

I just remembered that nonfat yogurt & skim or lowfat milk help a lot.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelleaux View Post
What is rennie?
Rennie are chewable tablets for heartburn like mylanta. Sorry didn't think it wasn't available worldwide.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:36 PM

Sorry, no good advice, but lots of sympathy. I am almost 32 weeks and I've been having the same problem. I get a little very short term relief from dairy products. Peanut butter and bananas are the worst culprits, although I really do have heartburn all the time no matter what I eat or avoid...
Old 04-02-2007, 12:20 AM

When I was preggo oatmeal helped sooo much with the heartburn (and nausea too). I ate it 2x/day often.

I too was shocked at what heartburn was like. Hopefully it'll leave you behind soon!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 AM

Oh, and I just remembered that I looked up once when pregnant and having heartburn, about yogurt, that is is a more acidic form of dairy and actually can cause more discomfort with heartburn and yada yada. . . which had surprised me at first. Just as a tidbit of info.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:25 AM

another person for whom almonds were a life saver and still are......though i must have a bald baby because i dont have much heartburn

try almonds! a handful 3 times a day!

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 AM

Yep almonds worked magic for me too
also tea !

Best of luck
Old 04-02-2007, 01:06 AM

There is heartburn and then there is CHRONIC acid reflux associated with pregnancy. For me, it doesn't matter what I eat or don't eat, as soon as the babe starts seriously displacing organs (usually mid-second trimester and beyond) I have constant reflux - so bad I cannot even sleep. Full stomach, empty stomach and all points in between. I have tried every remedy and technique to no avail. Antacid won't touch it.

If this is how you suffer and when you get to your last resort, you might want to check with your doc/midwife. For all 4 pregnancies, I've been a Zantac 2x per day girl to combat the problem.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:42 AM

I know this is an old post, but I came across it yesterday because I've been having this exact problem. For about two weeks I've had heartburn and especially for the past two days it's been awful - I've hardly eaten anything.

The answer for me was a bowl of Cheerios and milk. It was amazing! After not eating much for days, and feeling the constant burning, gross burping and feeling weak from poor nutrition, I felt 10 times better minutes after eating the first bowl. Then I got my appetite back and downed 3 more bowls last night! It is now the morning and I still feel better, going with another bowl instead of my usual breakfast, just to be safe.

Hope that helps someone out there!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Ok I
Don't like taking meds and I'm all for going it natural but my heartburn and acid reflex were so bad with my last pregnancy I would get physically ill
To the point of extreme nausea and almost vomiting. I couldn't eat anything. My dr told me to take Pepcid and when I finally have in and took it my life changed. After I had the baby it was back to business as usual.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I think when you are that sick from heartburn, nothing else works. I remember taking Pepcid or something similar with a few of my pregnancies. For milder heartburn, I eat something with vinegar. Sounds weird, but it works. Like last night, I had cucumber tomato salad with red wine vinegar and olive oil.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014

User Tag List