Is Alfalfa safe and where to buy bulk herbs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-31-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife suggested I take alfalfa. I've been reading about it online and some info says it is not safe, while some info says it is. I currently have pills that are made from the leaf and are 500 mg each, but I haven't started taking them yet. If I wanted to get bulk herbs, where would I look? I'm 12 wks 6 days, by the way. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-31-2007, 03:54 PM

Yes, alfalfa is generally safe, or atleast it was for me. I took it in mega doses last pregnancy at the advice of a midwife I was consulting with (along with red raspberry leaf, dandelion, and a few other things that I cant recall off the top of my head - but could look up if you're interested) I actually just put my first order through to mountainroseherbs.com which was reccomended to me on this board and the prices were very reasonable. They are organic and say they are fresh (as I said, I heard good things but have not received mine yet)
#3 of 9 Old 03-31-2007, 06:59 PM

Alfalfa is very safe and should be used.
I LOVE this site: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/
I have been very pleased with everything about this company.
#4 of 9 Old 03-31-2007, 07:45 PM

The only thing to be wary of is going slow introducing the pills. Sometimes it upsets the gals with nausea and supposedly it helps you become all too regular... it is grass after all!

I drink it in my tea. My father, a farmer in rural New York, was a wee bit surprised to see me drinking the stuff he bales for cows and horses!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#5 of 9 Old 03-31-2007, 09:16 PM

Not only is Alfalfa safe but it is really good for pregnancy. Tons of vitamins. Good for building blood.

I like to add a spoonful (straw/dropper) of liquid alfalfa into a glass of tea/juice/water with breakfast. I find I have more energy and less nausea on those days that I remember to do this.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#6 of 9 Old 03-31-2007, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll check out that website. In my online research, I did notice that it's used to feed livestock. I appreciate all the responses and advice.
#7 of 9 Old 03-31-2007, 11:58 PM

Yes, best to take in the 2nd trim. fyi~

Congrats!
#8 of 9 Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avena View Post
Yes, best to take in the 2nd trim. fyi~

Congrats!
Why in the second trimester? Now I'm nervous.
#9 of 9 Old 04-03-2007, 05:10 PM

I've never heard any kind of time issues like that w/ alfalfa myself. I am curious to see where that information came from as well. (link pls, I love to research!)

I have heard about RRL not being good for 1st trimester IF there is a concern about miscarriage, because in strengthening the utereus, if I understand it correctly, it could shed an embryo that was not yet firmly attached. I have never heard anything about alfalfa other than it being a great vitamin boost though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page