Mama Cloth Post Partum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone used these or thinking of using them? I bought a Diva cup for AF, but never got to use it, lol. I hesitate to spend the money on mama cloth since whenever AF comes I'll use the Diva, but then again, we'll most likely have more babies so they would get some use and it does sound SO mcuh more comfy than icky sposie pads.... How many do you think I'd need? What is a good kind? I've heard of using prefolds, but am not liking that idea much, I'm kind of a small person and that just seems bulky, I dont know. Any recommendations? Talk me into it! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used them and loved them-- and I used the postpartum pads for my period also, after I got it back, because I had a MUCH heavier flow than I did before I had a baby (I'm pregnant now, so it's not an issue at the moment, but I'll use 'em again after this baby, too. They last forever.).

I'll say that I did use the giant disposable ones the midwife brought in the first week or so after dd was born. You are changing them VERY often, and for me the clotting worked better with the disposables. After that, though, the cloth were great, very comfprtable.

I bought eight postpartum pads from a WAHM, and am happy with that number-- I also have eight smaller cloth pads for lighter days at the end of my period, and this number works for my laundry cycle.

Here's a discussion rating various brands of cloth pads:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=546454

AND... know that it works fine just to rinse them and put them in with diaper laundry, no need to soak. The soaking always seems a little gross, and in my experience doesn't get them any cleaner (mine are faded, but barely stained after years of use).

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#3 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 01:27 AM

I've used them after the last 3 births. I started using cloth pads after my 4th was born. I agree they last forever so its worth the investment.

Since I bleed so much the first few day pp I use prefolds then switch to the pads. (I also use prefolds when my water breaks.) But I change a prefold once every 2 hours or so. Its frequent the first day or 2. After that its just like a normal period.

I have 9 pp pads from 2 different wahms. One has pul backing and snaps and the other is all flannel with aplix closure. I like the snaps much better and I do like the pul for night time. I don't need it during the day though. Aplix can rub. If you can get them fleece topped I recommend it, its sooooo nice. Get the kind that you can take all apart, the pul backed ones I have are all sewn together and they take forever to dry.

I soak my pads and pour the water on my plants but you can just rinse them out (I suggest in a toliet or utlity sink). Dh washes all my pads for me the first week. If he didn't do it for me I probably would use disposible cause there have been times its too hard for me to walk to the bathroom let alone be washing my pads everyday.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#4 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 01:40 AM

There was a thread a little while ago where it was recommendednot to use cloth pads because lochia harbors a lot of bacteria. As a result of that thread (sorry I couldn't find it) I decided to go with disposables again.

DS#1 1/05, DS#2 4/07, DD 12/11  homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#5 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 07:07 AM

I'd love to see that thread and read the discussion. I would think that washing and drying, either in the dryer or sun would get the pads free of bacteria if it works for poopy diapers.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#6 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM

I'd like to see that thread as well ( the MDC search is wonky for me - but I still tried 6 or so pages of results). Google didn't help either. The only reference I could find to the bacteria issue involved tampons.

I did find this : http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=116088

one person mentions reading about bacteria issues but there was no follow up.

" i think it was the peggy o'mara pregnancy book that recommended using sposie pads postpartum just to be on the safe side and be as hygienic as possible. unless you can sanitize the pads by washing them in almost boiling hot water i would steer away from them, lochia is full of bacteria that i wouldn't want to survive in cloth...
just a thought"

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#7 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 12:08 PM

My only concern myself would be how much I feel like cleaning cloth pads as well as cloth diapers while recovering from giving birth -- I'm usually big on cloth pads, but I confess to a couple of packages of disposables stored away for the days immediately post-partum. (Though maybe that's a sign of my own neurosis more than anything ... I'm someone who just can't let myself wash bloody things together with diapers, or let either dirty pads or diapers sit around soaking for a few days before taking care of it.)

If you were thinking of making an investment of it, I like Lunapads, but they are seriously $$$ for what they are.
#8 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 12:09 PM

After my last birth, I used folded up flat diapers. They worked very well, and felt a lot better than disposibles.
#9 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 PM

I have a few postpartum pads and some regular ones that will be good once the flow slows down a bit. This will be my first time using them so I'm not sure about quantity etc. I'm giving birth at the hospital and plan to use the disposable ones there and will have whatever they send home with me. I really hated the way the disposable ones felt after getting home so am hoping these will provide more comfort.

oh, I'm small too which is why I decided to get more heavy flow rather then the bigger post-partum pads.

-Pam
#10 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
Anyone used these or thinking of using them? I bought a Diva cup for AF, but never got to use it, lol. I hesitate to spend the money on mama cloth since whenever AF comes I'll use the Diva, but then again, we'll most likely have more babies so they would get some use and it does sound SO mcuh more comfy than icky sposie pads.... How many do you think I'd need? What is a good kind? I've heard of using prefolds, but am not liking that idea much, I'm kind of a small person and that just seems bulky, I dont know. Any recommendations? Talk me into it! lol
I like the idea of prefolds I think I will try that. I am planning on using a diva cup when AF returns as well. Now to hide them from DH when they are dirty. He wigs out at the sight of menstrual blood.
#11 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 PM

Have you considered sewing them? There are tons of free patterns and instructions on the web. (I'm guessing there has been discussion on the sewing CDs board) I'm told it is fairly easy and I am going to be sewing CDs (6th baby and we've never CDed before!) and I decided to make myself PP pads and menstrual pads for my daughter and I. I'm a Diva cup girl, but I am thinking that the cloth pads will be nice for near the end of my period (when it comes back in a couple years! ) where the Diva is too much. If you don't sew, maybe your mom or a friend has a sewing machine and can get you started, cloth pads should be a fairly easy beginner project. I have been researching a bit and I am planning to do microfleece as the top layer, fleece on the bottom layer (for waterproofing, supposed to be more comfy than PUL) and for this and the CDs I am getting microfiber towels from Walmart (they are 25 for $9.99) in the automotive department that I will tri or quarter fold and have in the middle for absorbency. I may cut and serge them into pad stuffers this summer when I visit my mom who has a serger) Microfiber is supposed to be very absorbent. If cost is an issue, you might want to try this, you can even go cheaper and make them out of old t shirts or old flannel sheets or recieving blankets and forego the fabric cost. They would be practically free then!

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#12 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reillys_mom View Post
There was a thread a little while ago where it was recommendednot to use cloth pads because lochia harbors a lot of bacteria. As a result of that thread (sorry I couldn't find it) I decided to go with disposables again.

I can't see how thats a concern when women were using cloth for both pp and menstration since the beginning of time and only recently started using disposibles.

Another concern, which is addressed on a lot of sites about cloth pads, is that disposible pads contain alot of chemcials. You can still get TSS from them. You can experience more cramps, heavier periods and experience irritation. They are very drying because they are super absorbant.

#13 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I dont know why I didn't think of making them myself! I think I'm going to give it a try. For some reason I was thinking I'd need a huge number of them - like 24 or so, like CDs, lol, but I could make 10.... hm....

As far as making them, I want pul backing, fleece top, and was thinking of using microfiber to stuff, but dont want them taking forever to dry either so I need to make them sort of like a pocket diaper I guess, I wonder if that would be hard to stuff? I'll look into that more...
#14 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 05:53 PM

I have lots of link to sewing patterns for pads. I could pm them to you if you want them.

#15 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sure! Thanks!
#16 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I did find something in "Having a Baby Naturally" that says to use disposable pads? Doesnt say why?
#17 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 09:16 PM

Here's the link to the thread. It was part of a discussion on homebirth preparation. The recommendation against mama pads come in post #53. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=lochia

DS#1 1/05, DS#2 4/07, DD 12/11  homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#18 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 PM

The way I read it was that if you let them sit the pads can grow bacteria? Like I said it doesn't make sense to me because women have been using cloth forever. The other reference I found to bacteria in lochia is here. It says: The vagina and cervix of pregnant women generally contain pathogenic bacteria sufficient to cause infection. Generally, other factors must be present, however, for infection to occur.

There is plenty in human feces as well but we wash our diapers and babies don't get infections from them. Wipes are the same thing. I still think there is more risk with paper pads than cloth.

#19 of 21 Old 04-04-2007, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, we use cloth diapers and it seems like that would be more un-hygenic, lol. I'm looking forward to the soft comfy mama pads, and not having the icky sposie sticking to me, etc. ...and then there's the chemicals, etc.
#20 of 21 Old 04-05-2007, 02:48 AM

I have no choice, as I am allergic to whatever is in disposable pads. They leave me with bloody blister things which I think could encourage an infection.

I'm not worried about bacteria any more than disposables since the cloth gets washed and aren't worn any longer than a disposable.

I may have to use some prefolds for when my water breaks and the first day or two. Great idea.

For mama pads I currently have Happy Heiny's night/postpartum pads. A wee bit thicker than I would normally wear but nice and long and I can't wear anything that won't be as thick I guess. Must have something thick!

Depending on how often you will do laundry, I would have at least 6-10 available for postpartum. That's a guesstimate

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#21 of 21 Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 AM

I'll be trying cloth pads for the first time postpartum. I have started collecting a few and have maybe 5 PP pads so far. I also have an order in a co-op here for another half dozen or so of various absorbencies.

We do CD already (well, we'll start back up in October!), so I'm hoping it won't be too much more to do cloth pads. I just HATED sposie pads and how they felt! So uncomfy and DH did NOT like dumping the trash can! Ick!! So there they'd sit, and that was horrible. Anyhow, despite that, I just want the feel of nice, soft cotton or whatnot when I need it most!! What better time to pamper those special parts, eh?

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page