Alternatives to heparin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If we get pregnant again, I'm really thinking about a homebirth. That might make it more difficult for me to get heparin for my anticardiolipin antibodies. Are there any herbal alternatives to heparin or is that still the only way to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-22-2007, 04:57 PM

Hi Nora,
Sorry this is so much later.

I don't have an answer to your question beyond the fact that I know that aspirin is sometimes prescribed and not heparin. I have no idea what the protocols are regarding which is chosen, though. I had two pregnancies that went full-term and birthed beautiful, average-weight babies taking aspirin (I have the same thing).
#3 of 9 Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Did you take the 81 mg ASA per day?
#4 of 9 Old 06-24-2007, 08:14 PM

Sorry I'm just seeing this...I also have anticardiolipin antibodies and antiphospholipid antibodies. When I was tested my midwife felt that the levels were low enough that baby aspirin (81mg) would be sufficient and it worked just fine for my son who was born at home. I'm doing the same thing now for this pregnancy.
#5 of 9 Old 07-10-2007, 10:07 PM

I have a blood clotting disorder so when I am pg I have to be on heprin, but this time they switched me to Lovenox. But I also take 1 baby aspirin a day and folgard. sorry thats prob not much help. Do you hate giving yourself the heprin ? I had to twice a day.
#6 of 9 Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyanaPaige View Post
I have a blood clotting disorder so when I am pg I have to be on heprin, but this time they switched me to Lovenox. But I also take 1 baby aspirin a day and folgard. sorry thats prob not much help. Do you hate giving yourself the heprin ? I had to twice a day.
Talk to me about the injections. I have the MTHFR mutation and 2 prior miscarriages, and have been advised that I will be on heparin/lovenox as soon as the next pregnancy is confirmed. I already take baby aspirin & extra folic acid. Well, I had a BFP this morning and will be going to my OB tomorrow for confirmation, which means I'll likely be starting shots tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out what exactly to expect.
#7 of 9 Old 08-27-2007, 02:19 PM

*Bump*
Do you guys see a hemotologist as well as your OB/Midwife? I'm on Lovenox for a recent abnormal Antithrombin III test through my Reproductive Endocrinologist but am wondering if I ought to get a second opinion/re-test via a hematologist before continuing on. My questions are - will stopping the lovenox hurt the pregnancy (I'd have to stop to re-test) and if I decide not to re-test and continue taking it, am I going to be classified as high risk?
#8 of 9 Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 PM

Update - I've been doing twice daily heparin injections since the day after my last post. I'm finding that they aren't bad at all, even though I do get some bruising at the injection site. Hubby gives me the shots, so that helps. This pregnancy has progressed farther than my previous 2 and we saw the bean for the first time on ultrasound last week.

I've only been seen by my OB thus far, but will be referred to a perinatologist before long for additional follow up. On the high risk front, yes, taking anticoagulants such as heparin and Lovenox does put you into that category. There are additional precautions that must be taken prior to delivery - I've been advised that an induction is likely so that they can ensure that the heparin is out of my system. I personally would not stop the lovenox without consulting your RE since that could very well jeopardize your pregnancy.
#9 of 9 Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 AM

I took lovenox 2x a day with my last pregnancy. You have to stop at 32 weeks, and you must deliver by 39 weeks. Your placenta can get a blood clot once you stop the Lovenox.

This time I would love an alternative. I think it affected my son negatively. I cannot prove it but I do not want to take it again!

Take care,

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

User Tag List