Do BH feel like Period Cramps? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-05-2007, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 35 weeks PG, and I was having some kind of painful cramping that felt just like period cramps, down low, and constant pain. My friend was with me and said that is what her BH felt like. Is that was BH feels for you? If so, I am getting them quite often now!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#2 of 21 Old 04-05-2007, 08:21 PM

I can't say that I ever knew that I had BH. Now, labor felt like period cramps for me. I first felt them at 36 weeks and 2 days, and my water broke that night. Are you getting them often today or often in general? If often today, I might call someone just to be sure.
#3 of 21 Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 PM

I've been having BH's for several months now and they are often VERY strong but I haven't felt any cramping with them. The only time I feel cramping is when the baby grinds it's head or hands into my cervix.

Perhaps your cervix is starting to make adjustments?
#4 of 21 Old 04-05-2007, 09:46 PM

BH *should* be painless. It feels like the sudden tightening of your whole uterus (at least that's what mine feel like). There is no pain or cramping and it's not in just one place.

They say that you should drink a lot of water and lay down on your left side for a bit. If they are BH, this should make them go away. If they are real contrax, this will not make them go away.
#5 of 21 Old 04-05-2007, 09:49 PM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I've experienced both ways. I have no idea why they are different. I find drinking water helps.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#6 of 21 Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 PM

My braxton hicks were never crampy. Just strong tightening sensations in my uterus. They were not painful at all.

I agree with the previous poster, to drink some water and lay down. If these crampy sensations continue you should call someone.
#7 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 12:25 AM

No...BH just feel like a tightening of your abdomen..not crampy. Real contractions feel like menstrual cramps...and usually down low and in your lower back.
#8 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 12:46 AM

I happened to ask my midwife about BH ctx today because I've been having them frequently. She said not to worry, but to pay attention if they start to feel like menstrual cramps and if those menstrual-like cramps start to occur at regular intervals. BH ctx just feel like a tight abdomen, which can be uncomfortable but feels very different for me than cramps.

Have you noticed any strange discharge (mucous or bloody)? I think that's the other thing to watch for. But this is my first pregnancy so it's all a mystery to me...
#9 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't felt any of the "tightening" that's being described. Is it possible just to be having normal ctrx? It is not like every 3 mins, or even every hour. It happens a couple times a day.

My midwife appt is tomorrow, so I'll ask her and maybe ask for an internal to found out if these things are doing anything to help get this baby out! (I am getting the GBS test done anyway, why not make it an afternoon full of uncomfort!)

#10 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 07:25 AM

Lizzy,

I asked my OB/GYN this same question...I had been having the BH that everyone is mentioning (tightening of the uterus), but lately I've been having irregular menstrual-like cramping down lower. He said it's nothing to worry about, it's just the body preparing itself for labor.

Oh, and I'm in my 38th week. Do post and let us know what your midwife says, though.
#11 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 10:31 AM

I have had menstraul cramps off and on the whole pregnancy and i have even been to the hospital and nothing I was told that some women are just crampy and others not, who knows, I guess i have been in labor for 8 months now....
#12 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I haven't felt any of the "tightening" that's being described. Is it possible just to be having normal ctrx? It is not like every 3 mins, or even every hour. It happens a couple times a day.

My midwife appt is tomorrow, so I'll ask her and maybe ask for an internal to found out if these things are doing anything to help get this baby out! (I am getting the GBS test done anyway, why not make it an afternoon full of uncomfort!)
Sounds like regular ctx to me. I get them a few times a day...sometimes never. I DO get BH WAAAAY more than I would prefer to...they get annoying, but they are good for the baby!
Also, the GBS is just an external swab...no discomfort involved...unless it bothers you to be naked from the waist down in front of your MW
#13 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 12:34 PM

For me I feel BH all over my whole belly. I feel real contractions as cramps in the lower region - I suppose that's because there is some effect on the cervix.
#14 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 03:30 PM

BH feel like almost they are on the "outside," like right beneath my skin, in my muscles......

while period cramps feel deep, wayyy on the inside

hope that helps

deb

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#15 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
No...BH just feel like a tightening of your abdomen..not crampy. Real contractions feel like menstrual cramps...and usually down low and in your lower back.
This was my exprience also.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#16 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so I am back from my midwife's...

She said period-like cramping is probably real contractions. But, I have a bladder infection, that could be causing the cramping. So, real contractions, but it's because I have an UTI, not going into labor!

So, it's anti-biotics for me, and she said, "NO More contractions at least for another week and a half!" (then I will be 37 weeks and contractions are fine )

#17 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 06:22 PM

Mine felt exactly as if the baby had turned sideways and shoved his head or butt out toward the front of my belly. And they weren't entirely painless, either.
#18 of 21 Old 04-06-2007, 06:34 PM

I am pretty sure that BH contractions are usually a tightening of your entire uterus, which at 35 weeks is your whole abdomen... you could always just call your MW to ease your mind.

ETA: Oh good, that's good everything's mostly OK. Should've read faster!
#19 of 21 Old 04-08-2007, 12:36 AM

Period-type cramps are not braxton hicks. If they don't go away with rest and hydration, call your doctor or the labor-and-delivery if its after-hours.
#20 of 21 Old 04-08-2007, 12:52 AM

Ick, sorry to hear about the UTI, Lizzy, that sucks. I hope it clears up soon and those ctx stay away for at least another week and a half!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#21 of 21 Old 04-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
:

This description fits in with my experience exactly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page