Sharp Vaginal Pain During Pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-08-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently 32 weeks along and wondering is it normal to have 5-second long (or shorter) instances of sharp pain in your vagina during pregnancy? I've got a doc appt. tomorrow morning and will ask my OB about it then, but I figured I'd ask here as well. Googling for info just gives me "some women may feel sharp vaginal pain during the third trimester and it usually signifies the cervix dilating", but I don't remember feeling this when I was pregnant with my first and before being transferred from my midwives' care to an OB during that pregnancy I was apparently already dilated to 2 cm then. I only feel it when I'm standing and it only lasts a very few seconds, but it's enough to stop me in my tracks and it can take my breath away. It's like a deep vaginal jolt (for lack of a better description). I just started feeling this sensation over the past few days. Just curious if anyone else had and if it's something I should be concerned about?
Angel1613 likes this.
#2 of 6 Old 04-08-2007, 06:39 PM

I have been having the same pain you are describing for a few months on and off (I have 38 1/2 wks now). Tends to be more when standing. Sometimes it's because the baby is moving and pushing on my cervix. I did not experience this nearly as much with my first pregnancy. I've mentioned it to my doula and midwife and they say it's normal.
#3 of 6 Old 04-08-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmansmama View Post
I have been having the same pain you are describing for a few months on and off (I have 38 1/2 wks now). Tends to be more when standing. Sometimes it's because the baby is moving and pushing on my cervix. I did not experience this nearly as much with my first pregnancy. I've mentioned it to my doula and midwife and they say it's normal.
Well, that's good to hear. I'll mention it to my OB tomorrow, but thanks so much for alleviating some worries.
#4 of 6 Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM

I experienced this with my first because she was so low. My midwife would always talk about how amazed she was that my baby was so low...she could feel her head when she examined me. I've actually felt that stabbing pain with this pregnancy already too. The best way I can describe it is that it feel like someone is stabbing you with a knife down there. I think it's normal. BTW with my first I was induced because I was a week overdue and only dialated a 1/2 cm so I'm not sure if that indicates that you are dialating or if the cervix is getting ripe.
Hope that helps.
#5 of 6 Old 04-09-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I'm updating with my OB's answer in case anyone else is curious about what causes this sensation..

My doc said that it sounded like pelvic pain due to loosening ligaments and that the pelvic bones loosen and can grind against one another, sending little jolts of pain to the groin. He said it happens most often when weight isn't distributed evenly and that it's usually more noticeable in second and later pregnancies, as well so I may not have felt it the first time around. He suggested a support belt if it's too uncomfortable.
Angel1613 likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Did this thread answer the question you had?  

If not, you might check out these other areas on Mothering for more information:

Due Date Clubs - located here and in our social groups

If you like what you see here, please consider joining our community.  

Jump in to the conversation in these forums:

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page