Tooth Problems = Pregnancy Problems??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom was telling me today she read something about new research and that neglected problems with your teeth can possibly lead to pregnancy problems like preterm labor.

I don't get it. And being that my mom's M.O. isn't to be an outright liar I'd like to know what she knows.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 AM

I've read about this and yes there is correlation between gum problems and things like pre-term labor and whatnot. It's also an indicator of overall health and can show if you are more likely to have heart disease and all sorts of other things. Unfortunately I do not have the link for the article I read about it but I'm sure someone else might.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#3 of 7 Old 04-09-2007, 01:09 AM

It's because of bacteria and the fact that the gums and tongue are a portal for disease to enter the bloodstream (moreso than, say, your finger.) Infection is a major cause for premature rupture of membranes, which obviously can lead to preterm birth.

Poor dental health is a risk factor for heart disease for the same reason. Bacterial endocarditis is one concern, also some bacteria can contribute to plaque-y buildup in the arteries.
#4 of 7 Old 04-09-2007, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

5 years ago I was told I needed work on two cavaties and I need my wisdom teeth out. So I don't know if that's enough to cause problems.

Mom says I should go to the dentist ASAP and see what they think. *sigh*

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
#5 of 7 Old 04-09-2007, 01:44 AM

AFAIK its gum issues that are a cause of premature labor (gingivitus?). Unfortunately, being pregnant also makes you more prone to gum issues (my gums have bled every pregnancy out of nowhere and I was told by my dentist that it was because I was pg that I was more suceptible)

I'm sure that a cavity isnt good for you regardless, but I've never heard a corrolation between cavities and pregnancy issues. I did have a friend with super bad teeth a long time ago though and he was ALWAYS getting sick/sore throats/etc and was told it was due to the toxins in his mouth getting into his body via blood and saliva. But he had every problem in the book...
#6 of 7 Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have super bad teeth at all, but I suppose I should get checked out as I remember having gum problems during my other pregnancies. I suppose I should... just sorry I put it off as now I can't have the Nitrous Oxide :

#7 of 7 Old 04-09-2007, 01:50 AM

I had a pretty bad cavity at the beginning of my pregnancy. I had had a filling, but apparently my mediocre dentist hadn't cleaned under the filling before putting it in--so the tooth under it had rotted almost to the root. Both my midwife and my dentist said that any risk of having xrays (with five shields) and numbing meds were better than letting that tooth fester until after giving birth. Alternately, it could have grown into a cavity requiring a root canal--which might need more numbing meds or general anesthesia. Get thee to the dentist ASAP. But, be aware that you'll need a release from and OB or Midwife before they'll so much as take one x-ray!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page