milk thistle for morning sickness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-11-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, all! I'm new here and just got my BFP!!

I was wondering if any of you have any experience using milk thistle during pregnancy to prevent morning sickness.

I have a friend who swears by it--she says that her mw told her to start taking it before ttc, and then during the first trimester. She was completely nausea-free with all four kids.

I heard this when we were TTC and BOLTED to the coop to get a milk thistle supplement. All the women in my family get terrible nausea during pregnancy and while I don't know for a fact that that'll happen to me (this is my first pregnancy) I figured, if this could work, why not, right? So now I've been taking it for a few months.

Anyway, I mentioned this to my professor who is a CNM and she completely freaked out. She said that the effects of milk thistle during pregnancy have not been adequately studied and that I might be taking a big risk. She said, "Do the possible benefits of taking the supplement really outweigh the possible risks?"

She really scared me, actually. Have any of you had good experiences using milk thistle during pregnancy, or any awful side effects? Should I stop using it? Could I have hurt my baby already? Yikes!!!
#2 of 7 Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 PM

I don't know anything about milk thistle, but I have been using nux vomica with a ton of success. Here is a link with a few suggestions...
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/g...ning-sickness/
#3 of 7 Old 04-13-2007, 04:19 PM

I have been taking Milk Thistle for probably almost a year. I am now about 5 months pregnant. I didn't take it for pregnancy. I took it because it is a very strong antioxidant and helps the liver to keep on top of the fats and toxins in the body.

I never heard of it being used for morning sickness, though.

When I first saw the OB, I brought a list of supplements I was taking, and she didn't have a problem with the milk thistle. When I switched to a HB MW, I also gave her a list and she also didn't have a problem with it.

Have I had any problems with it or side effects? Nope. So far, I have a perfectly healthy and happy pregnancy. Nothing wrong can be found with me or the baby. He is very active. All my tests come out perfect.

I didn't have the tiniest bit of morning sickness. I hear m/s is much more likely with a boy, because of hormonal differences between the fetus and mother. Everyone has been surprised that I haven't had any. Perhaps it was the milk thistle.

I can't imagine it being very dangerous. It is basically just artichoke. They don't tell us to avoid artichoke during pregnancy, do they?

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#4 of 7 Old 10-28-2008, 03:28 PM

From what i have read its safe for pregnancy, and i too heard that it works for morning sickness. I also was told by my MW to take extra b6 and that helps with morning sickness too. I took extra b6 and have not been sick at all. I have the milk thistle in the cabinate though that i ran out and bought just in case but i didn't need it. And i am 12 weeks tomorrow.

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#5 of 7 Old 10-28-2008, 04:05 PM

Have you seen this thread? I did it for three months prior to conception, but didn't do it after a BFP due to possible endocrine disrupting properties. But that along with other things I did led me to have zero vomiting this time around and weight gain in the first tri, as opposed to losing 20 pounds from puking 6-8 times a day last time.

My whole story is in post #66.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#6 of 7 Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM

I took it the first few weeks (m/w said nothing about it) and I've also heard that it is good for liver support with all the hormones. I would consider taking it in advance of my next pregnancy or onset of m/s as well.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#7 of 7 Old 10-28-2008, 04:26 PM

I started taking it 3 months before getting pregnant to prevent ms and continued to take it in pregnancy but it didn't work AT ALL. It didn't even lessen the amount of nausea and vomiting.

But I've tried just about everything and nothing seems to work for me.

Congrats on you BFP!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page