sick with a cold - total lack of appetite - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-11-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the past several days I've been sick with a horrible cold. It has totally and completely taken away my appetite. I literally have not felt hungry since Sunday, but I've been able to force myself to eat a little. Now I'm starting to worry that eating so much less than usual (maybe about 1/2 of what I normally eat) for 2-3 days in a row could hurt the baby. My tummy actually looks smaller and it's worrying me. Today I'm feeling slightly better and I've forced myself to eat a bit more than I did on Monday and Tuesday. Any words of reassurance? Do you think that a reduced caloric intake for a few days would do harm?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#2 of 6 Old 04-11-2007, 07:37 PM

So sorry you're sick!!! Its no fun, especially when you can't take anything to help the symptoms. Just make sure you're getting enough fluids, and vitamin C, etc. I know womyn who have had enough m/s in their pregnancy to lose 25 pounds, my mom included. For a short illness like this, I'm sure your body will tap its reserves and everything will be fine.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#3 of 6 Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 PM

I don't think it's a problem. I've not had extreme nausea like some moms, but just a general lack of appetite and loads of food aversions since day one. I had lots of extra padding to start with, and have actually lost 11 pounds since pre-pregnancy. I'm 20 weeks, so there would also be some baby products that would be an additional loss for my actual body. OB says not to worry -- baby will take what he needs from my reserves and it's not an extreme concern until that last trimester. In the meantime, I'm doing the best I can.

I'm where you are though... I got a cold a couple of days ago and have struggled to choke down even crackers and apples. I did experience a side effect of that today when at Wal-Mart I nearly literally passed out. Lesson learned -- don't drive and stay close to home when I cannot eat to prevent a much more dangerous situation.

I think a few days of no appetite regardless of trimester will not have a major effect. I just echo pp in making sure ou're taking in enough fluids and your vitamins, and then work on trying to find something, anything you can stomach.

Feel better, mommy...

Amanda, Wife to James and Mom to Bub (11/00), Gracie (5/02), Brystol (7/09), Elleigh (3/11) and Piper (10/11).  angel1.gif  Missing our angels: Bean (12/05@6w) Ainsley (10/06@10w) Zachary (4/07@22w) Sweet Pea (8/07@9w) Twin B (12/08@8w) and Lil Bit (8/10@8w).

winner.jpgadoptionheart-1.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 PM

s I'm in the same situation you are.

DH brought home a bad cold/mild flu last week and now I have it :

I have to force myself to eat.

As for not eating for a few days, your baby will be fine.

That I understand women tend to have fat deposits where they do especially for pregnancy and take longer to lose the weight compared to men.

I also recall in my studys of "early childhood" (which included pregnancy) years ago reading that during pregnancy that the unborn baby takes the nutrients first and the mother gets what is left. If the mother isn't eating enough to get enough nutrients then the "reserves" in the mother's body is tapped for the baby.
#5 of 6 Old 04-11-2007, 08:39 PM

I'm so sorry! I don't think a reduced calorie intake for a few days will hurt the baby; if anything, it's *your* reserves that are depleted. On the other hand, if there are any fattening comfort foods that sound at all good -- ice cream, grilled cheese, or that special local specialty you said you send your husband out for -- now's the time to indulge freely. And take vitamins if you can. My stomach also looks smaller sometimes when I haven't eaten as much (or threw it all back up), but it's always fine, just I'm less bloated or something, you know? I hope you feel better.
#6 of 6 Old 04-11-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassuring words mamas! I can't believe how brutal this cold is. I just read on some website that when you're pg you can expect a cold to last THREE times as long! Ack! Anyway, I am much relieved knowing I'm not doing any harm to my babe. And I managed to eat a chicken burger and salad for dinner (with a few fries on the side)... phew.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page