Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 PM

I have SUA and the only issues my dr is really worried about besides the NSTs is the fluid level. With SUA the cord is smaller and hence you need ample water around the baby in order to not have an internal cord accident. No one has mentioned a section to me and even my old OB who has a controlling freak didn't talk about inducing me until 41 weeks. I was told by my perinatologist that as long as the baby checks out fine on the u/s then the baby is at no higher risk for anything than any other baby except IUGR and possible cord accident.

Did something change with her last appt? Was her water low? It just seems like a quick change in the drs attitude.

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#3 of 10 Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing has changed that they told her about. The perinatologist actually told her that the cord is not small, it's normal sized, and it may has compensated for having only one artery. Either that or it's two arteries fused together. She's really not sure why the change in attitude, they may just be trying to cover themselves.
#4 of 10 Old 04-12-2007, 08:37 PM

Sounds to me like someone wants to go on vacation.

Did they give her any reason for shortening her "window" by 2 weeks? That's just sending up all kinds of red flags for me. (about the doctor, not the pregnancy)

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 10 Old 04-13-2007, 12:02 AM

Yup, sounds like a really scary situation, when the doctor starts changing all the things that have been agreed upon, without discussion or explanation, right before the due date.

My first doctor with dd1 did that, a few days before my due date he informed me that I was going to be induced on my due date in the hospital, rather than having a homebirth. Needless to say, I got a copy of my charts before I left and never went back. It was kind of a last straw...but at that point, you aren't in an equal relationship with someone. And especially if they are getting antsy with their scalpal, I'd seriously recommend your sister try to find someone else, or at least schedule a long "meeting" rather than "appointment" with them to talk over her concerns, get an explanation, etc. Just trying to cover their behinds is no excuse for going back on agreed upon terms. It makes me so angry when doctors abuse their power!! Good luck to your sister!
#6 of 10 Old 04-13-2007, 04:57 AM

My friend just delivered a healthy 9 pound girl with only one umbellical artery. If nothing else is wrong, it sounds like they are scaring your sister for no reason.
#7 of 10 Old 04-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Well, I have no words of wisdom for you, but I wanted to say that I'm dealing with this myself. I had an U/S on Wednesday, and they found a single umbilical artery on my baby. The Dr. checked everything very thoroughly and could find nothing else wrong, so she did not seem too concerned about this. I, of course, went home and did a google search on this, and what I found scares the crap out of me! So I am trying to be optimistic about the whole thing.
#8 of 10 Old 04-13-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APmomSoCal View Post
Well, I have no words of wisdom for you, but I wanted to say that I'm dealing with this myself. I had an U/S on Wednesday, and they found a single umbilical artery on my baby. The Dr. checked everything very thoroughly and could find nothing else wrong, so she did not seem too concerned about this. I, of course, went home and did a google search on this, and what I found scares the crap out of me! So I am trying to be optimistic about the whole thing.
My peri explained that if the baby checks out on u/s there is really no issue except for cord size (leading to cord accidents if not enough water) or IUGR. There are alot of scary things about SUA on the web, but I think that those are just possibilities, once the babe checks out via u/s you can forget about all those things.

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#9 of 10 Old 04-13-2007, 03:39 PM

I am 33 wks and just had my first NST today. I asked the dr about how long they would let me go pass my due date and he told me that the protocol for his office is to not let SUA patients go pass their due date. I am not thrilled about this, but at least I am confident about my due date, so I am sure that they won't try to induce me before 40 wks unless something comes up. My baby has been looking great and my fluid has been great. I am hopeful that if I do make it to 40 weeks that the dr and I can have a talk and perhaps let my body do the work. I am not going to stress about it now, but I really don't want another induction

Beth

#10 of 10 Old 04-13-2007, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter had a single umbilical artery. We found this out at the big 20 week ultrasound when the perinatologist oh so casually mentioned it. I was scared. I wouldn't google this. You'll find a load of stuff that will make you stay up at night. I scared myself silly and spent the next half of the pregnancy worried about the baby. It's no wonder my bp went up in the third trimester. Our peri told us that he believed our daughter had the two typical umbilical arteries but early in the pregnancy one disintergrated for whatever reason. The remaining artery grew larger to compensate. It's just one of those things that happen. There are many of us walking around who probably had SUAs but we don't know since back in the day there weren't these super duper ultrasounds. An SUA would have been discovered when the doctor cut the cord.

A SUA is in and of itself not an anomaly but it can lead to anomalies in a small percentage of babies. I think something like 70% of babies with an SUA are perfectly normal and healthy. The rest may have kidney or heart issues but if the ultrasound shows the kidneys and heart are fine, I wouldn't worry. My daughter's ultrasound showed her kidneys and heart were fine. If I'm not mistaken the heart and kidneys are affected because the same tissue that forms the heart and kidneys have something to do with the umbilical artery. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I had to do a couple of NSTs in the last few weeks of my pregnancy but that had more to do with my mild pre-eclampsia than the SUA. My ob wasn't concerned about the SUA at all. There wasn't any talk of induction or a section because of the SUA. I ended up having both but for reasons wholly unconnected with my daughter's umbilical cord.

And my daughter is perfectly fine.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page