August Mama's..new thread #2 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2003, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thinking of you, mamasoleil! I'm glad you and your little one are home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2003, 03:55 PM

Hiya, everyone! Mamasoleil -- you rock! Thank you for checking in with us, and way to go sticking to your guns and getting through all that! Did they do a fetal fibronectin test while you were in there? I've become a great believer in that test's ability to reassure (if it's negative); my midwife and I are doing them every 2 weeks now, given my history with overly treated preterm labor. Anyway, I hope you can get some peace and quiet now, at home, and I hope that wonderful voice inside you keeps leading the way!

AvalonDaughter -- I've PM'd you about our search for a doula here in the Twin Cities. I'd post it here, too, but it's all pretty specific to our community up here on the tundra...

Natesmommy -- I've been through Maryville many times! When DH was in grad school in Atlanta, we'd take Hwy 411 instead of the interstate, and Maryville was always where we'd pick it up. Many fond memories there! DH grew up in West Knoxville, and his folks still live there. And yeah, I'm having a ton of BH, too, and am trying to be calm about them, but they can be disconcerting, I know. To say the least! (Thus the tests above for me!)

I'm doing OK after a fairly restful weekend, but bracing myself for the week to come. On Thursday my dear mom gets results back from a CT-scan and bone scan she's getting today for spreading breast cancer (ugh, still in shock and denial about this) and on Saturday DH's family descends for a weeklong visit. I love them, but we'll have 14 people to feed and entertain for a week! To say nothing of preparing our chaotic house beforehand...oh dear. And if my mom's news is bad, I'll probably want to be with her...6 hours away in Milwaukee. Anyway, take it as it comes, right?

Hope everybody else is doing well -- stay cool!

darcy
Old 06-23-2003, 04:22 PM

Avalon Daughter -- Do lots of interviews is my best advice. We didn't interview enough people at the beggining and I regret that a lot now.

natesmommy -- I've had a few BH... the one I had on Sun while shopping was by far the worst one and was very painful. I was very scared. I think the intensity increases.

mamasoleil -- What a truly scary experience for you to have. I'll be thinking of you and your little one and hope everything continues to go well.

Colorfulmama -- I'm glad that you've been feeling good. I hope your thyroid test turn out okay.

Seagon -- I hope everything turns out well for you mom. It must be very scary to have to wait.

I'm doing okay. I had a horrible BH on tuesday. I've been feeling a lot of strange sensation in my belly too so I'm a little bit worried. Maybe its my reaction being pregnant for the first time and worrying to much about everything.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:28 PM

Thank you.

I'm doing better, a little shaky, but I think it was really not preterm labour, but whatever, we're safe, that's the important thing. I've been swimming all day, feels SO good!
I'm glad to hear everyone else is doing well, hard to believe we'll be holding our little ones in the next 6-9 wks eh????

Peace,

Mamasoleil
Old 06-24-2003, 06:06 PM

OK, I've obviously been on the job lately! Since Kathy Jo called me out here I am. I'm sorry I don't post very often but I try to read up on you lovlies as often as I can and you are all in my thoughts! 'Specially when you have do-do's say silly things or scary visits! I can't believe we are so close! I have questions for you ladies who have changed caregivers late in the game. How did you do it? I wanted to change because the lovely CNM that I see at the clinic doesn't deliver anymore so I would have the OB (Whom I've met but don't love like my CNM). So I found a couple of places that were recommended to me and they won't take new patients in the third trimester! So I'm stuck!?! It's my own fault cause I way procrastinated but still.

On another note, I still have my oh-my-gosh-I-can't-believe-I'm-having-a-baby moments! I'm such a dork. But thanks to Kathy Jo I've got some kick a** cutie pie clothes for my little bean!

Smootchies and be well.

Nikki
Old 06-24-2003, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

nostrow, you crack me up, they are having another sale starting this thursday. i pm'd you about laundry soap. i need your email.

Seagan, I am thinking of your mom, wow that is big!!!

Went to midwife today, blood pressure teeny high but I have been a bit stressed and stretched. Lots going.

Okay I gotta read my VBAC book. Have not read a single page.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:30 AM

yikes, just realised today I only have another 7.5 weeks left, approximately of course I finally got round to finding a doula, and she is lovely. Very chatty and motherly (which is nice as my mum is 6,000 miles away and I wish she could be here )

I am trying to gt my head around cloth diapering right now- there is so much to learn, and it is SOOO intimidating!!!! I bought a fuzzi bunz for Gabe though as he loves it (he is 26 mths so I'm going to buy him a few also, though he is almost ready to potty train).

Ok ladies, hope you are all doing well. Colorfulmama, your pic made me laugh- we have the same belly!!!!!!! I am also short waisted (shouldn't that mean I have long legs??? Have I heck!!!!..what went wrong??!!!!)
Old 06-25-2003, 12:11 PM

nostrow, don't give up!
I just found a midwife that has agreed to have me as a client at 32 weeks! I'm very excited, considering I was having huge panic attacks about my docs. When I called her, and told her that I had a definite vision in mind of what I wanted my birth experience to be like, and that I didn't think my dr's where going to help me achieve that...she asked who my dr's were (she works with the same hospital they do) and said that they would definitely not help me. Which I had kind of gathered by their reaction when I mentioned that I had a birth plan ("well, bring it in, because there are things we cannot do, and we might as well get them out of the way now") and that we had a doula ("well, I guess the girls upstairs won't have a problem with that"). Sigh.
But I meet with the midwife tomorrow, and hopefully we'll like each other!
The only problem is that she said we won't need the doula, since she would be there with us the whole time. But I like my doula, and we've signed a contract with her. And we hired her to take the pressure off of dh, which we'll still need during pushing, etc., in case he needs to leave or something?
Are any of you working with a midwife and a doula?
Old 06-25-2003, 01:07 PM

Good morning all,
Just checking in, I have a MW appt this afternoon, hoping some of the edema in my legs goes down... I worked last night (2nd shift) at the nursing home where I work. Had a very busy crappy night...(Pun intended). Poor AC, on my feet for 8 hrs, then the drive home in a non-AC car (we're having hot early summer here, loads a humidity). Any way, I'msure my weight is way up from all the swelling....

Seagan, I wish you much strength right now...my own Mom was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma when I was 3 month PG with baby #3, the cancer had spread to her liver and lymph nodes...it was really hard to enjoy that pregnancy due to all the stress and worry about my Mom, trying to help my sister care for her as I could.....I know its really hard when all you want is your Mom healthy and well....

Take Care All, and Happy Wednesday!
Kate
Old 06-25-2003, 02:01 PM

i just had to share that my best friend irl had her baby at home last night

i don't know too many details. her dh called about an hour ago and i thought it was the call to pack up and watch her ds while she labored but it was already over!! she went into labor at midnight and gave birth to a son at 5:30am this morning . All are healthy and happy...adn very tired. lol.

he weighed in at 8lbs 9oz. no name yet but is per daddy just beautiful. hopeing to get a call from her in a few hours inviting us to come up, help with older brother, bring food and take pictures...

yay!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 03:31 PM

Since my last post was very self-centered

Seagan - I'm thinking about you and your mom, I hope everything is ok. That must be very scary

And traixa, 8 hours on your feet! I feel for you! I hope you get to start your leave soon.

Congrats to your friend Colorful~Mama! How exciting!

I hope everyone is doing well. It's hot as heck here, so I'm sweating and whining a lot.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:38 PM

Annais~I'm so happy you have a m/w!! That will change things for you for sure!!!
Seagan~Much strength to you in this difficult time
ColorfulMama~I always love hearing of a child born at home!!
Traixa~Hope you won't be working much longer?
JuicyLucy~cloth does not need to be complicated. I used CFP's and wraps with Soleil, I had NO experience prior to that, and I loved it. Very easy, and cheap.
Kaje~Hope that blood pressure goes down! "try" not to stress, : , I know, easier said than done!

I have been spending my days in the lake, virtually feel weightless in the water. My swelling is all gone, and the baby and I are doing AWESOME. Soleil has been amazing!

Peace,

Mamasoleil
Old 06-27-2003, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

CM neat thanks for sharing about the new baby
Nostrow call me and let me know how I can help you in your search or PM Doulasarah. I know she would be helpful.

I wanna go hang out in the lake sounds fun!!
Old 06-28-2003, 01:20 PM

Happy Saturday!!!
Hope everyone has a great weekend, and happy incubating!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:24 PM

Hi everyone! I haven't had very good computer access in the last month, but I'm back! We moved in early June and the room where our computer is had to be torn up for some wiring changes so the computer just never got set up. It's been an exhausting, but exciting month. I love being in our own house, but it's been such a mess and I just don't have the energy that I once had! It's SO frustrating to only be able to get a little done here and there instead of working ALL day. But it's nice to have a good excuse to read, spend time with the baby, and talk on the phone!

I'm mostly doing really well. I think I probably tweeked a ligament in my back while moving and it makes walking and sleeping a bit uncomfy. Yoga has helped the most. MAssage ended up hurting more.

I've had so many people tell me I look tiny and others tell me I look HUGE. My midwives say I'm perfect and my dh just keeps telling me how beautiful I am...so while everyone else's comments are sometimes hard to deal with, I'm trying to focus on those supportive ones. Don't people realize that every body is different?!

I get laid off from work on WEdnesday! YAY! I'm so happy to be forced into not working and I'll happily collect unemployment for awhile!

We're taking "Birthing from Within" classes and love them. I highly recommend that book. Definitely good to spend some time dealing with the emotional/spiritual side of birth instead of just the physical.

I visited my parents last weekend and when I left, I said, "next time I see you, I'll be presenting you with a new grandbaby!" More than anything else, that made me REALLY realize that we're having a baby!!! Still doesn't seem real sometimes!

Mamasoleil, I have a good friend who delivered at 34 weeks and now has an awesome 1 year old. I wish you the very best, but I keep telling myself that if I can just make it to 34 weeks, the baby can come any time after that. I haven't had any early labor signs, but you just never know.

Happy almost July to everyone! I can't believe we're getting SO close!!
Old 06-28-2003, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know what but I have been thinking this baby will come early. Charlie was only two days early. My blessing way is July 19 and I wonder if I will have the baby before then. I am due August 8. I want to listen to my intuition cuz I did not last time and knew Charlie was breech for several weeks.

Anyway....I also have had what I will call vagina yawn feelings. Is that me being dilated. Or what is it. Realize since he was breech I never had any of these feelings last time around.

Also I take the rainbow prenatal one a day and I am waking up sicker than a dog at 2 in the morning, really vomity feeling. When would be the best time to take these and with or without food? I have been taking them right before bed.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:13 PM

Kaje~Take the vitamin with food, it should help you get over that vomiting feeling!

Sharon! It's good to see you. Birthing from within has giving so much strength, and though I'm a little scared of this labour, I'm really meditating to let go of the cloud from my last one! I agree with you as to the comments people make!!! It's so varied. I trust that my babe is growing, I feel him/her all the time, I'm not worried. I just recently have stopped working too, it's great!!!

You know, with all of this preterm stuff, I bet you I'll be two wks late, I just feel it! Soleil was born at 37 wks, but I think I'll go right thru to August, if my intuition is right!!!!

We are getting a little break from an intense heat wave, it's great. Four yrs ago, I was in labour as I'm writing this, Soleil turns 4 yrs old tomorrow!!! Unbelievable!!!!

Peace,

Mamasoleil
Old 06-28-2003, 11:18 PM

can i join?

i'm due august 23rd.. i also cannot believe my baby is due 8ish weeks from now! with my first pregnancy i was immersed in birth books, and i've only sort of scanned a few this time around. i really should get on top of that. birthing from within sounds great.. i'll have to see if i can find that.

mamasoleil, i'm so glad your preterm labour scare is over. i had one too, about a month ago.. every week that goes by, i'm more confident, and know that my baby will be okay!

i'm also long waisted and tall and get comments almost every freaking time someone talks to me about being pregnant. the most annoying is that i "look great" (appearing smaller).. like i'm supposed to conform to the belief that being a smaller-looking woman is better or something. : urg, it really annoys me, cuz i get these comments pretty much everyday. and i measure exactly right for my alongness.. so it's just an illusion.

otherwise, i'm so darn excited whenever i get a moment to actually rest and think about holding my baby in my arms!!
Old 06-28-2003, 11:31 PM

Hey Mamabeard!

How are you? Glad to have you join us!!!
I can't wait to hold this baby either...I can't wait to see if I'm carrying a little girl, or a little boy...the suspense is KILLING me!!!:LOL

I am confident knowing, that from here on in, if I were to go into labour, the baby would be fine. But, I'm hoping to go to 37 wks, or else I can't have the homebirth I'm dreaming of!!!

Here's to full term babies!!!

Peace,

Mamasoleil
Old 06-29-2003, 02:49 AM

I am very short waisted, at 5'2" there is not alot of room for this ole uterus. SO I look like I am 10 months pregnant and I am only 31.5 weeks. Ughh!! I dont know where I am gonna put the restof this baby. I am so freakin uncomfortable!!!

The heat is killing me and I am swelling like a balloon (BP is fine tho, just the heat and need for more water than I could possibly consume).

Is anyone else in major nesting mod?? I could not sleep last night because the bookshelf was not straightened and I had a zen moment scrubbing the hard water ring out of our toilets with a pumice stone last night. I cannot wait to get rid of EVERYTHING we dont use. Dd's toys are getting a thorough once over.

Sex on the other hand is the only thing that makes me happy to be pregnant. Too bad we can make those tissues this engorged with blood in a non-pregnant body. HOLY moly!!!! Dh would be bow legged in no time.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:58 AM

mamsoleil- that's true for me too.. i really want to have a homebirth, especially since my son's birth was so difficult..

chanley- yeah, i'm in a major nesting mood, but it's driving me crazy cuz it's sooooo hot in my place and my son needs my almost constant attention so it seems like i'm trying to get stuff done all day, but by the end i'm exhausted and realize i haven't accomplished much at all. wish i could empathize, or even commiserate about the sex.. but, alas, my vagina exists but for one purpose now.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:24 AM

am totally exhausted and my back is aching so not staying long but had to pop in. We went camping this weekend - had a blast but if i ever say that i'll be fine camping at 34wks pregnant in 100 degree weather, someone smack me. My dh is amazing tho and we all ended up having alot of fun. Just very tired and sore...did way too much

anyway...if you'd like to see the first half of the pics we took they're here. ...

http://wahhostingnetwork.com/dragonf...ingtrip03.html

i look AWFUL in the one pic dh took of me, but oh well. lol. you can see how cute my family is. lol

hope everyone is feeling well. am going to take a hot shower and rest on the couch for a few hours till dh is ready to rub my sacrum. owieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. air mattress stunk. lol
Old 06-30-2003, 01:23 AM

Sorry your body's achin' CM! I'm wondering how I'm gonna handle next weekend - we are tenting it at my uncle's cabin for 3 or 4 nights! At least I can move inside to the couch if I have to. I am mostly dreading getting out of the tent to pee ten times a night (while not letting any mosquitos in!).

KJ - it would be a blast to have an Aug. mamas Twin Cities gathering. Maybe dinner and the collective? Awhile back you said you were worried about the labor pains since you did not experience any of it w/ Charlie. I know you'll be fine, but if you want you can practice by holding an ice cube in your hand and trying to relax as it melts. I agree on the vit - take it w/ a meal. I have been taking mine at night too b/c that's the easiest time for me to remember. Now I am also taking two calcium pills everyday and I can never remember if I've taken everything.

Welcome mamabeard!

My pubic bone has been very achy the last week or two. It's torture when my dd runs off at a store or something and I have no choice but to run after her! After that, I can hardly walk! Going to a chiro tomorrow, so hopefully it will help.

Went swimming at a lake today - it felt so good to exercise my arms!
Old 06-30-2003, 05:43 PM
tls

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, I'm new here...just in time to be almost finished with the pregnancy . I am due August 6th and it seems like an eternity away. I have a 2 year old and she was born in April so my last pregnancy was nice and cool. This time around....ugh, I don't like to think about what July will be like. All I can say is thank goodness for central air!!!

I wish I had found this board earlier. It would have been nice to share this pregnancy with you all. I hope everyone is having fairly uneventful pregnancies and that August comes much faster then we all expect.

Tracy
Old 06-30-2003, 06:48 PM

Hi Tracy. I think you joined just in time. After all, it all gets pretty exciting from here. My "official" date is August 6th too. Of course every passing stranger will tell you I look like I'm due any second. It just gets funnier and funnier every freakin time I hear it. I've decided that it's best if I don't mingle with the public for awhile. Apparently my patience is rather limited. I don't think I'm a bitch, I'm just easily annoyed. Anyone else feeling this way? :
Old 06-30-2003, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

welcome mamabeard and tls and by the way if anymore of you live in the cities or wanna come and visit us and go out with us metro mamas let me know!!! tee hee

actually when are we not to fly or travel far? is it 36 weeks? and cm you are a trooper to go camping. i still have a wild hair to go one more time before new baby but don't think it will happen.

okay i am a big girl and have only gained 7 pounds and i actually hate it when people tell me how great i look, cuz i could still balloon and what is the big deal??? and do you know what else i hate when people bump me and not acknowledge it. i hate a guy ram me with his grocery cart when i was pregnant with charlie.

someone remind me to call the chiropractor tomorrow. i keep forgetting.

and by the way cm (hippie) i think you are kinda cute!!!

one other thing i am not much of a nester as in cleaner but i cook and freeze food and i want charlie, daddy time. my friends who keep asking me to do things evenings and weekends are bugging me. leave us alone. i feel like i can't get enough of just the three of us, is this normal? and then sex not interested. just like being with them and bossing dh around!!!

mamar, sorry your last birth was so hard. i actually did a couple rituals around my last, he was breech!!

smeta i have done the ice cube thing and that is great. and i have to admit at times i am scared too death. the pain, the vbac, the health of the baby. all that scares me. i think my blessing way will help.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:46 AM

Call the chiro KJ. I went today, I have a few sore spots still! This guy was great though. He actually adjusted my entire body - my thumb, my big toe, elbow and jaw were out of alignment! Of course my back, neck, tailbone and pubic bone were too!
I am scared sometimes too. Sometimes I freak out b/c I haven't had an u/s to reassure me that the baby has all it's limbs and stuff like that. But I know it will all be ok. You'll be fine too, I know it. And even if it doesn't go how you hope it will you can try your best and be happy with that.

Yeah, why do strangers think they need to comment on the size of your belly?! I got a maternity swimsuit, buy dh and my mil and sister were trying to convince me just to wear my bikini. Right, like I want to deal with all the comments about how 'weird' my belly looks! I don't feel too huge yet, but dh thinks I am.

I have a midwife appt. Thurs. and I am supposed to bring my birth plan to discuss. Anyone have one done yet? I wish I would've saved mine from last time!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:30 AM

hello all!
I just had a great weekend...not really. I couldn't go t the bathroom for 5 DAYS! It was miserable, it sucked...but I am feeling much better today. Phew. Now I just have to keep up with the magnesium supplements to keep everything moving along nicely.
Glad to hear everyone is doing well, despite the heat. Is it pretty hot everywhere? 'Cause it's hot as heck here in Philly...and you know it's not so much the heat, it's the humidity, yuck yuck yuck. I wouldn't mind it so much if it had been a gradual build-up, but it went from 60 to 95 in a day.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:16 PM

Hello New to the baords, and Due 8-16-03!!! With baby #5 the 3rd girl
Old 07-05-2003, 07:07 PM

Welcome APmommaof5!

I'm due in mid-August and some days it feels SOOO far away and other days it feels right around the corner.

We're still settling into our new house so I can't tell if I'm nesting or just unpacking. I definitely want to do more than I have the energy for!!

But I feel pretty good about everything. I got a recommendation for a doula from a friend (have been putting off finding one for a long time!) and I talked to her last night. Not only is she available, but her backup is our Birthing From Within teacher who we love! So that right there makes me pretty confident that we'll like her. Now to find a pediatrician...

I've had a sore lower back for a month or so. Everyone seems to agree that it's my SI joint. I'm scared of chiros for some reason. (never gone to one...just don't like the idea of messing with my back) Anyway, I finally REALLY complained to my yoga teacher and she focused on SI joint stretches in class. I feel SO good now. It's amazing. I didn't realize how much it really was bugging me. The best part is that she taught some partner exercises that felt wonderful so now DH feels like he can actually DO something to help me.

User Tag List