August Mama's..new thread #2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 97 Old 06-09-2003, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey come and join me August mamas the other was getting long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 97 Old 06-09-2003, 11:47 AM

Posting for email notifications...nothing new to mention! :LOL
#3 of 97 Old 06-09-2003, 01:36 PM

Hi mama's

I am just sitting here at work, taking a mama break to surf the trading post and check out the August mama's thread -- and think about how my edd is in 9 1/2 weeks!!!! AMAZING!!!!

Anyone else starting to feel pressure to "get things done" to be ready for baby?!!!

Sam is kicking right now, and sometimes I find myself "thinking" in my head, talking to her, feeling like she should be able to hear my thoughts -- it seems wierd to vocalize to her since she is so very much a part of me, still.... anyone else experince this??? maybe I am just wierd!!!!!

Need to get back to my work, but wanted to say hi....

birdwomyn
#4 of 97 Old 06-09-2003, 01:46 PM

Yea birdwomyn! I talk to her 'telepathically', too! Now you want to hear something really insane? The other night dh fell asleep on the couch with the light and tv still on. So, as usual, I woke up at 2-ish AM to pee, and then climbed back into bed. Then there was a little voice saying to me "you should go turn off the light for daddy" and I said, "oh, ok" and got up and did it. Weird, yes? Insane, maybe?
#5 of 97 Old 06-09-2003, 03:34 PM

I understand!!!! Sometimes I just "know" what she needs -- or at least I think I do... and I go with it because I can.... :-)

kathy
#6 of 97 Old 06-09-2003, 07:03 PM

Hi all, no time like the present to introduce myself........

My name is Susie, and I'm due Aug. 11.........can't believe it's now only 9 weeks away!!! Anyway, this is my 2nd little one, and we did not find out the sex (by choice). Our son is 2 years old, and keeps me going all day (but he keeps me laughing too, so I don't mind).

I am a SAHM, but during the year I teach Hebrew part time at a local synagogue. I also sell MAYAWRAPS and BABYSPA natural baby skin products if anyone is interested.

I've only posted a couple of times on here, and it seems like a great group. I like the advice and the variety of knowledge that people are able to offer! I look forward to being around here a little more often!

~~Susie
mom to Aviv (4/01) and ??? EDD 8-11-03
#7 of 97 Old 06-10-2003, 11:27 AM

welcome Susie! you and i are sorta due date buds too - I'm due August 9th

has been a busy few days here. We did the hospital labor and delivery tour on saturday and i came away upset, disappointed, angry and all around blah about deliverying at a hospital (see my "grieving the loss of the birth i want" post . ugh. But then last night was the "labor day" class at the birth center where i see the midwife for my prenatal care and the nurse/teacher was amazing and talked about the relationship they have with the nurses at the hospital i'll be birthing at and how they pretty much will "take over" and make it as much like a birth center experience as they can. so i guess i feel better.

i see my midwife on thursday for my almost 32 week appt so i'm going to ask her again to review my "risk factors" and pretty much beg her to get the ob's in the practice to consider allowing me to birth at the birthing center. to at least let me TRY. i mean, we could always transfer to the hospital (less then 5 minutes away from the birth center). I have a feeling they'll say no, but i have to try. Does anyone have the "list' most places use to determine risk? i know that i'm old (38 when baby comes), have had 2 prior cesareans and no vag birth (but they were DUE to pitocin and we KNOW that ugh), am a bit overweight and i have thyroid disease (but i hear that shouldn't matter since its controlled for 8 years with medication). i t hink they should let me try. lol

what else. Baby boy is moving and grooving in there. Still not telling me his name. lol

hope everyone is feeling well!!
#8 of 97 Old 06-10-2003, 09:18 PM

I just wanted to announce that DP starts a new job tomorrow morning at 8am!!!! She has been unemployeed since early to mid January and was REALLY struggling with the whole unemployment deal -- this is GREAT news for her and for us!!!!

She will be working as an Intake and Aftercare Counselor at a Women's drug and alcohol treatment program -- what is really cool about this treatment facility is that it is one of the few in the nation where women AND THEIR CHILDREN can live together while mom is in drug treatment!!! I am so proud of her and happy for her!!!! This is a pretty significant change in career paths -- one I support 110% -- and one that is as exciting as it is challenging.

Hope all is well with all you other August mamas....

kathybird
#9 of 97 Old 06-11-2003, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

wow Kathy that must be a huge relief. I am happy for you.

CM, I am sorry about your challenges right now. I cannot believe I am only 8 weeks away. It freaks me out. My friend had a baby last night at 3 a.m. She had a hard labor but when completely natural. I am hoping for a VBAC but I get scared etc...

I am not taking Rainbow Light one a day and like it better than my six a day Eclectic.

Susie I love babyspa. Wanna trade for hemp baby clothing or unbleached organic?
#10 of 97 Old 06-14-2003, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I went to the midwives yesterday and....
my iron is up, it was quite low two weeks ago, thanks to my new prenatal (Rainbow Light, one a day)
I passed my third glucose test, so I am done with that
My blood pressure is good, as always
and THE BABIES HEAD IS DOWN
She left the room and I started crying
cuz Charlie was breech and I thought well maybe something is wrong with my body
I am so happy. I have my fears about a VBAC and a unmedicated birth
but I feel like this is a message, It will be okay, Go for it KJ.
#11 of 97 Old 06-14-2003, 11:59 AM

That's awesome KJ! It WILL be ok, and you CAN do it!

colorful mama - good luck on the birthing center situation. I'm grieving the loss of the birth I want too (a home birth)! Maybe next time, if there is one!

better go, dd just peed her underware....
#12 of 97 Old 06-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Banned

Edited to remove inappropriate post.

If you have any questions about this, pm Chanley or Cynthia Mosher

Thanks
Shannon
#13 of 97 Old 06-14-2003, 09:25 PM

nightowl1234 - maybe you think its your mission in life to spread the anti-circumcision word to the masses, but personally i find it rude that you are indeed INVADING a space here. I said it on the last thread you posted this on and since we started a new one you're back.

you've made your point. the mdc'ers have made their points. there is a freaking anti-circumcision board on this community that members can go to where they can (YOU) can talk all about how circumcision is a horrible mutilation. Some of us choose not to visit that board because some of us might have religious or other personal reasons for circumcising or NOT circumcising our sons but don't wish to discuss it here. with you or with other internet folk.

that doesn't mean we're not informed. If we're here on this community, most of us are quite informed. and those that are seeking information know where to go to get it so ....

i find your continuous posts to be not only annoying but ( maybe this is 8mos pregnancy hormones coming out here) but i find them patronizing, condascending and downright obnoxious. My son will have a brit milah so i simply stay away from circumcision threads. This is an expecting mama thread, not a circ thread, so bringing it here just pisses me off to no end!

please...if we have another brand new thread (which i'm sure we will in another few weeks when it gets too long) please don't post this again.

and i'm sorry to the other mamas if THIS post offends anyone but i'm tired, hungry and now totally annoyed.
#14 of 97 Old 06-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Banned

Edited to remove innapropriate post.
#15 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 12:03 AM

I'm right there with you, Colorful~Mama.
I don't appreciate being lectured to, nightowl1234. Especially on our August mama's thread, which is very important to me. I'm sure that I am not alone here.
#16 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 12:19 AM

I have to support colorful mama on this one too.

Posting an alternative liturgy is not, in my opinion, an appropriate response -- but actually a rather "in your face" act of insensitivity -- religious insensitivity, to be specific.

I am disappointed in this behavior and it certainly doesn't reflect well on the anti-circumcision community here at MDC....

: I thought this community was about respecting one another in the midst of our differences??

kathy
#17 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 12:26 AM

hi all

I posted a little bit at the beginning of my pregnancy, but not since. Everything is going well- I feel surprisingly "unpregnant"!! I am expecting another boy, but have no clue what to call him- DH and I can't agree on that one (though I find myself calling my belly Sammy so who knows??)!

And to nightowl, I also find it rude and disrepectful you coming on this board and lecturing, and I am actually planning not to circ. It really is not up to you to preach though.

Ok, I look forward to this the rest of this journey with my fellow August mamas
#18 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

nightowl, you know what i am pissed about is the distraction and you taking away from good news i shared. You got everyone focused on telling you to

Go away!

So anyway

I had a good midwife appointment yesterday!!!!

Kathy Jo, mama to Charlie (uncircumcised little guy) who is being treated with antibiotics for the past three days for a penis infection. And the next little guy will also be uncircumcised.

And that is between DH and I.

Bye Bye
#19 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 11:25 AM

Kaje,

Glad to hear you had a good appointment, and that you passed the glucose test! I find out on Wednesday if I passed mine. I'm also getting the list of things needed for the birth...starting to feel imminent for some reason!!!

We also, FINALLY have chosen our names!!!! I am so stoked!!
Girl: Kaia Summer
Boy:Leon Forrest

YAY!!!

Had some bleeding last week, which FREAKED me out, probably why I feel the birth is around the corner.
I put my feet up, meditated, and had no more..just some minor spotting.
The baby is extremely active, so I am not worried about him/her.

Peace,

Mamasoleil
#20 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 01:40 PM

kaje i'm so glad you're appt went well . i had a good mw appt this week too..went over my birth plan and how we can try to make this hospital birth experience as comfortable and safe feeling as possible and make sure i get my natural vbac.

and Mamasoleil i love your names! they're both really lovely

juicylucy- i'm right there with you on names. i wish our boy would tell us his name. Right now the top of the list is Roman Micah (we'd prolly call him Romy). but it changes weekly. lol

hey. heres a ?
how many vbac mamas do we have here? i'm going for vbac after 2 cesarean births.

lets get back to sharing and let go of the annoyance that seems to have been edited out
#21 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 02:24 PM

I've been lurking for a while, posted earlier on in this whole pregnancy...I cannot believe we are all in the home strech now!
I'm due early Aug. sometime in the first week....I can't remember exactly when my LMP was, sometime between my birthday and Halloween, but I know exactly when this babe was conceived . No question! I remember feeling a "glow" (that's the best I can do to describe the sensation). I have a suspicion this baby is a boy, we've been calling him Oskar, but if its a girl and I'm totally off on my feeling she'll be Sophia. I was so sure with all three other kids, I hope I'm right again, I'm just so sure this baby is a boy.
What sort of gear have people gotten for yourselves,and babies...Russ our 2 year old is still cosleeping, but we do have a toddler bed for him (it was a crib my mom wanted us to have, just in case it got to crowded in bed). Russ seeem excited to sllep in his own bed, I remember our girls wanting their own beds sometime between 2 and 3 years old. So we'll get that in his little walk in closet room. Other than that we have a stroller and car seat... I really want to get a new native baby sling....I used a sling with the girls,but Russ was sooooo big my back hurt too much.
I also have another question...is anyone planning on the GBS culture and/or refusing either the test or poosible antibiotic treatment? I have never been *told* that I was being cultured and I would have to have antibiotics in labor if positive. (and by a midwife!)Just wondering....Happy and healthy vibes to all!
Kate
#22 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 02:43 PM

Welcome Traixa!

I have NO idea if I'm carrying a boy or a girl, none at all. I had a dream that I had a boy, and it was very real, but I'm starting to doubt myself now!!!:
I have decided, after much deliberation, and research, not to be tested for GBS, I was the first time around, but I will not this time. Mainly, summer mamas almost always test positive, or your status can change from one day to the next.

Good luck to you, hopefully all is well so far!

Peace,

Mamasoleil
#23 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 04:15 PM

Hello All!

I am new here. I am 11 weeks pg. with my second child! I look forward to participating. Perhaps I can get some good support here that I don't seem to be getting else where!
I have been very sick this pg. The last one was a "breeze" until the end. This one seems to be on a roller coaster ride. Lots of sickness (all day long). Hard time eating. Feel sick when I do eat. Can't sleep etc. I can't seem to get any relief.

I just started taking B6 in addition ot my Prenatal Vitiamin and Ginger Root syrup with hot water. But, no relief.

I look forward to hearing from you all!!
#24 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 04:31 PM

oh avalondaughter I was there so I know how you feel- I had really bad morning sicknessw w/ both my pregnancies. I didn't really find anything that worked for me, apart from always having SOMETHING in my stomach, even if it was just a cracker. It wsa terrible when my stomach was completely empty. On the positive side, if you are 11 wks it should nearly be over. How old is your first child? Sorry I can't give you any great advice, but I can certainly empathize!
#25 of 97 Old 06-15-2003, 09:20 PM

Quote:
is anyone planning on the GBS culture and/or refusing either the test or poosible antibiotic treatment? I have never been *told* that I was being cultured and I would have to have antibiotics in labor if positive. (and by a midwife!)
i was plannin on refusing the test and/or treatment but my midwife tells me that since i have to birth in hospital, that the ped on call will hold the baby for at least 24 hours to check him out if i don't have the test. If i test positive then i have to deal with the whole antibiotic issue, so am just hoping i test negative at this point. I figure i'll do it tho
#26 of 97 Old 06-16-2003, 10:22 AM

Hey there, everybody! Hope everyone's staying cool and (reasonably) comfortable...even up here in the usually frozen tundra, it's going to get to 89 degrees today...YIKES! I find pure hotness is the biggest swelling factor for me. Even this morning, even though I hadn't even been upright for that long and the house was still cool, I had trouble slipping into my clogs. Oh dear, will I need to resort to wearing my plastic flip-flops to work pretty soon?! What a lovely image.

KJ -- Wonderful, amazing news about your last appointment! Good news on so many levels -- inlcuding about the baby's position! I learned recently that 32 weeks is an important point for positioning; the position the baby takes at that point in the pregnancy is pretty much where they will continue to gravitate toward. With important exceptions, of course, but still!

Mamasoleil -- Great news from you, too, on the bleeding not amounting to anything! Way to go in seeking out good vibes and letting them soak in and do their thing. I hope you can relax again now, and maybe even get back on that bike!

Welcome to the new mamas, too! How exciting and wonderful to have such a big, enthusiastic, supportive group as we enter the semi-home stretch!

I'm doing well. We met with a great doula this weekend, and will probably go with her. We had a wonderful doula with my first birth, but wanted to talk to some others, too, and I'm glad we have. This doula is training to be a midwife, coordinates a doula program for women in need at the big county hospital here (I just really admire that), and specializes in "optimal fetal positioning," which I'm really interested in given DS's posterior position and all the terrible back labor I had. She already showed me some great things to be doing in this critical pre-32 week stretch (I'm just about 30 weeks now). I dread telling our first doula that we won't be going with her after all, b/c I really do like her and am so grateful for all she did for us in 2000, but I really feel this will be a better fit this time around. It feels right.

Otherwise, I'm just huge and swelled up and tired and achy. This will be a longish summer, I think; I find the heat really gets to me and I get so frustrated that I don't have more energy and agility, particularly for playing with DS. And he picks up on that, and runs with it -- both figurately and literally!

Speaking of which: we asked him this weekend if he had any ideas for names for the baby. Without skipping a beat, and in all seriousness, he blurted out, "SKATEBOARD!" We adults are so uncreative.

Keep those updates coming!

darcy
edd 8.29.03

P.S. Yo, Nightowl, if your mission really is to persuade people not to circumcise, this isn't the way to accomplish it. If anything, you undermine the message using these tactics. Or perhaps that's what you're after? Either way, you're not going to influence us, so use those energies elsewhere, please. Peace.
#27 of 97 Old 06-16-2003, 10:31 AM

Try South Georgia!!! I am swelling and so miserable already. It has been in the mid 90's and the humidity UGH!!! My poor garden is showing signs of my air conditioning hibernation.

I am already SO big!! I cannot believe how big I am this time around. I am the size I was when I delivered my daughter and I still have 10 weeks to go. I am hoping this will be a big baby and I will not be too fat after this pregnancy. I am not one of those women for whom the fat just falls off.
#28 of 97 Old 06-16-2003, 10:42 AM

I was born in Mississippi, but grew up in the upper Midwest and I KNOW I wouldn't survive anywhere in Georgia this time of year and pregnant. I am in awe of all of you Southern mamas-to-be!

I lived in Atlanta for four months back in 1994, and while I LOVED that city and the early spring (blossoms and warmth in mid-February? Unbelievable, and great!), by mid-May I was wilting and whining. I still can't imagine what July and August are like there.

One thing we do have in common: feeling ENORMOUS this time around! I'm in a prenatal exercise class and am way bigger than two of the woman in their 38th week! At this rate, I'm going to be five-feet across from butt to belly!

Trying to stay cool as a big fat cucumber,
darcy
#29 of 97 Old 06-16-2003, 10:49 AM

OK, I feel bad for being snarky in my last post...

Anyway, congrats Kaje on your great appt! And mamasoleil, I'm so happy to hear that everything is going well, and that your bleeding stopped. I love the names you've chosen, too! And welcome back to all the mamas we haven't heard from in awhile!

Sigh. I'm really grumpy today. Maybe it's the lack of sleep, or the fact that it's getting more uncomfortable for me to move around, or I have to keep coming to work, and drive an hour each way, or that everyone keeps telling me that I don't look like I'm due in August and then I worry that something is wrong. OH, pity party for me! Sorry to be a downer. It's Monday morning, maybe that's it?

I was up all night the other night worried about what my dr's are going to do to me! We have a doula, and we are working on a birth plan, so hopefully that will help. And I'm going to talk to one of my dr's at my appt on thursday about their use of interventions. We are watching some videos in my Birhtworks class, beautiful homebirths, that just make me sad that we have to go to the hospital. Blah.

Wow, I'm sorry! What a depressed post! I'll try to come back happier.
Hope everyone is well!
#30 of 97 Old 06-16-2003, 12:19 PM

Annais~
Do you have a long torso? Because that tends to make us look 'smaller', but in reality, we are not. Please don't let other's comments worry you. I'm sure you are feeling lots of movement, that is my reassurance that all is well!!!
Another thing is, please try to get the book BIRTHING FROM WITHIN. It is the most empowering book I've read, it has helped me come to terms with my last birth, and for a first time mother, it really puts things into perspective. Please, you'll really enjoy it. I know ColorfulMama has read it, I believe for each pg?
Again Annais, a big to you.
Seagan, thanks for your words. I'm craving the bike, I told Soleil we've got to get back on soon, and she agreed! The weather here so far has been pretty good, lots of sunshine, but always a nice breeze. I'm glad to hear you have found a doula. Sounds like things are coming together for you!!!!

Peace,
Mamasoleil

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page