hospital bag what u wear at hospital and undies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-13-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do u pack in your hospital bag? Do you wear the gowns they provide while in hospital until you go home? what about the mesh underwear and pads?

Just wondering

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#2 of 28 Old 04-13-2007, 08:41 PM

With DD I packed a change of clothes and wore the sexy hospital gown. I have since decided to bring my own robe. I personally liked the mesh underwear. I haven't decided on whether or not to do cloth pads. DH keeps freaking about having to clean up lochia. He is such a baby sometimes.
#3 of 28 Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 PM

I loooooooooved those mesh undies! Did you know you can actually buy them online for use after a homebirth? So, ummmm, I'm actually kind of looking forward to grabbing another box of those totally unstylish but oh so comfy mesh pants come June.

With my first I wore a hospital gown for part of my stay since my hospital is uber crunchy and breastfeeding friendly so their gowns are actually comfy, provide full coverage, and were easier for a newbie breastfeeder than that nursing tops I had brought with me. If you're comfortable in the hospital gown/robe then there's no reason not to wear them...but some mamas prefer their own clothes since it helps them feel more normal/comfortable/in control. And some hospitals have really nasty gowns or wash their gowns in harsh detergents that can irritate sensitive skin. So it's sort of up to you and how you feel about the items they offer!

In my bag...well, I basically dumped my doula bag into my "going to the hospital for myself" bag. So it's a bit of a mess ...

Let's see, I've got lip balm and massage/skin cream (a homemade beeswax and olive oil blend), and olive oil for the birth. Some small bottles of scented oil for aromatherapy. Nipple cream for breastfeeding. A wooden back/foot massager. A rice sock for applying heat and a few face clothes. Several pairs of "fun" socks that are comfy and cheerful.

I have a travel sized toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, deoderant, hairbrush, shampoo, conditioner, and a little tube of yummy bath wash. I don't do much in the way of makeup, but I do have a little eye shimmer to perk up my face for after baby pictures. A pillow and pillowcase also come with me...

A tiny french press and a baggie with different herbal teas and "good" coffee (so you can get hot water from the hospital and brew your own beverage if you want). Some peppermint luna bars and other snacks. Change for the vending machines.

A digital camera AND a disposable camera, extra batteries for my mp3 player and the camera, a note book and pen for jotting down whatever comes to mind or any questions I have. A copy of a Terry Pratchett book or magazine (easy to read, easy to put down). Two changes of clothing for me and two for the new babe so I have choices. Breast pads and mama cothes for the trip home. A special birthday gift for my two year old (it's coming "from the baby").

It sounds like a lot but the bag actually isn't all that big. Honest!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
A tiny french press and a baggie with different herbal teas and "good" coffee (so you can get hot water from the hospital and brew your own beverage if you want).
: I think you and I would get along GREAT irl!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#5 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 01:52 AM

I also wore the hospital gown/robe and the mesh underwear. I also had a pair of shorts that I wore under the gown. I found it easier to nurse dd in the gown. I did also wear a nursing bra from home though. I'll do the same this time. I appreciated not having to worry about getting my own jammies messy...and those first few days can be a bit messy.

My hospital bag didn't have anything too out of the ordinary. I did have a tennis ball because the nurse that did the birthing class said it might be good for massage or counterpressure on my back.

-chelsea dust.gif
#6 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:

I loooooooooved those mesh undies!
Are we twins?: I mean really... I thought that I was the only person that absolutely loved them... but when I got home from the hospital, DH washed clothes, and I have not seen any of them since then...

Well here is some humor: My mom helped me to pack my bag and she encouraged me to buy night clothes in my prepregnancy size and a new robe too... I took the advice ... I dont know if I was the only weirdo that did not lose all of my pregnancy weight as soon as my baby was delivered

Well, on a brighter side, I packed a really great magazine... I did forget to pack going home clothes, so DH had to run home and get me some. I did pack a travel toothbrush, my favorite soap, chap stick, a comb/ brush, socks, a bra, panties, slippers, and a camera.

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#7 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 02:39 AM

Bring slippers! The ones they give you at the hospital are not very warm, nor are they easy to get on when you can't bend over easily.

Personally, I wear the hospital gown and mesh panties. I figure, let them do the laundry. If you're modest about nursing, you might want to bring your own gown or robe though, the hospital gowns I've seen unsnap at the shoulder, so you kinda end up with it all hanging out.

What I do bring: going home clothes, at least 1 nursing bra, nursing pads, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, deoderant, lip balm, hairbrush, scrunchies or hair clips (I have long hair) camera with extra batteries, slippers, a pair of slip on shoes for going home, something to read (usually magazines), and a pillow. I like the idea of just a smidge of makeup for post-baby pictures, I might do that this time.

If you forget stuff, like slippers or basic hygiene stuff, the hospital will give it to you, but IMO, the quality sucks, so I try not to forget mine!
#8 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 03:00 AM

As a pp mentioned....pack going home clothes that will fit your post partum body...I still looked about 5 months pg when I went home! I knew that I would, though, because my sil had delievered a few months earlier. I was SHOCKED when I went to visit her in the hospital and she still looked pg!

-chelsea dust.gif
#9 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 03:13 AM

i packed way way too much

if i had it to do over i wouldn't take much besides what i wore in. although i would take socks or slippers.

i just wore the gown, and i liked the panties too.

if i were doing it again i thin k i would bring my cloth dipes and some mama cloth too.
#10 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
if i were doing it again i thin k i would bring my cloth dipes and some mama cloth too.
I've been thinking about that, but I'm so afraid that it'll get lost or I won't have any convenient place to put the soiled items, ya know? I spent too much $$ on that stuff to have it get thrown out.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#11 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 10:50 AM

I didn't pack enough! We were there for 5 days because my little one was early and had some issues. It just goes to show that there is never a right amount.

I LOVED the hospital undies, too! They were great, but I wore my own jammies. No problems there. I had jammies with large nursing slits so they were easy to use for nursing. I also brought regular maternity capris and a maternity shirt for going home.

If you bring your own pillow, make sure to put a very different case of it. That way no one can confuse your great pillow for the kind of sorry hospital pillows. Slippers and a robe are very important imo. My son had to stay in the nursery so we were making trips there every three hours for pretend feedings. He never really got the hang of nursing while at the hospital, but I would still offer him and fight to get a latch every time.

We just found out that our hospital has free wireless internet so we are bringing a laptop to download all the digital pics. We also used our laptop to watch movies while we were "stuck" at the hospital.
#12 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 11:15 AM

I'll be packing presents for the new baby to give to the other kids when they come see him for the first time. They always ask me how the baby does it and I tell them we go shopping while I am pregnant and I ask and one kick means yes and two kicks means no

I bring a quilt from home and my pillow because I need to make things as homelike as possible for myself and my family.

I also put my own clothes on my baby right away. I don't like them to be wearing the hospital stuff. I have never lost anything by doing this.
#13 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 11:35 AM

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes the mesh undies. Dh was even teasing me about them being "sexy" last time I was there.
I am going to pack my own gowns because I am probably going to have alot of visitors this time around and want to look presentable, esp. around my coworkers and bosses that will come see me. I am not going to have any visitors the first day, I've decided that first day will be for us DH, me and the baby.
#14 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 12:34 PM

I tend to stay very briefly, so I pack only the bare essentials. We also live very close to the hospital, so I figure that if I really can't live without something, DH will be able to get it. Here are the things I usually pack/bring:

-cheap flip flops
Think college dorm showers...who knows what is lurking on those floors. If you happen to be pg. in summer, you will get all the more use out of them. I even wore them to and from the hospital (for a summer birth, of course) so I didn't have to worry about packing other footwear.

-nursing bras and nursing pads
I don't have much of a problem using the hospital issued stuff for everything else. Once I get home, my first impulse is NOT to do laundry that I used in the hospital. Lazy, I know, but it works for me. I also liked the mesh panties...not the most attractive look, but comfortable. I made sure I packed some of those from the hospital to take home. When I go home, I usually just wear the same outfit I wore in. Again, not terribly glamorous, but so much less to pack.

-going home outfit for the baby

-camera

-Personal hygene stuff
I do just the basics, but it sure is nice to take that first shower after delivery. It may just be the last leisurely shower you take for the next month or so. As a result, I spend my time in there. I pack things like shampoo, conditioner, lotion, razor, my own washcloth, toothbrush, floss, hairbrush, and my own pads. I hate the hospital ones.

-Contact numbers
I make all the announcement calls from the hospital

-Birth announcements
I pre-fill out and stamp the envelopes and also write in any information that I already know. After the birth and during spare moments, I work on filling in the rest of the information and getting them ready to mail out.

-Reading material
Nothing big, but something to do if you have free time.

That is my minimal list. Other things to consider based on what you are doing...infant seat for the trip home, baby blankets (depending on time of year), birthing aids (depending on what you think you will find helpful), pillow (depending on how picky you are).

*I also make sure there is extra room in my bag for all the stuff they will send home with you. Again, a lot of this is by choice, but you may wind up with extra diapers, pads, mesh underware, and all the paperwork that they send you with. I also try to nab a couple of those disposable bed pads. During the next week or so I use those on furniture or my bed in case I have some leaking issues (perhaps tmi-sorry).

Believe it or not, I have always managed with a backpack for my hospital bag.
Good luck!

Mom to ds (7/02), dd(2/04), ds (9/07), and dd 9/09
#15 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleesmom View Post
What do u pack in your hospital bag? Do you wear the gowns they provide while in hospital until you go home? what about the mesh underwear and pads?

Just wondering
I ended up being at the hospital for a week, but that's not typical (thankfully!).

What I wore during labor (other than in the shower, obv.) was the hospital gown - it got so bloody, wet, and nasty, I'm glad I didn't insist on my own clothes.

I also wore the hospital gowns for the first couple of days post-C, because it was really easy to breastfeed & for the doctor to check on my incision, and easy to get in & out of without pain or struggle.

I couldn't wear regular undies due to the incision, so I guess I mostly wore the mesh ones from the hosptial. Again, so much blood, I'm glad I didn't wear my own. I did wear my bathrobe a lot because I could walk the halls with it over the hospital gown & feel not so unsightly.

Around day 4, I switched to big Tshirt, low cut sweatpants, and my favorite bathrobe because I was starting to feel really yucky (hospital stays will do that to you) & wanted to feel normal again.

I'd say.... for a regular non-hospital stay birth...

The gowns & undies are not pretty, but serve their purpose well, and are generally comfy - really big, roomy, and allow for staining w/out feeling bad, and easy breastfeeding. But bring your favorite zip sweatshirt or robe too. And good things to keep your hair out of your face.

Bring your favorite mid-pregnancy clothes for the last day. I looked about 5/6 months pregnant when I left.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#16 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 04:01 PM

I have done the standard hospital birth and I use what ever is provided (less laundry and mess for me) while I am there plus:

my own socks if needed
my own going home clothes including nursing bra - do not trust dh to pick out comfy panties for you to come home in!
ditto for the baby
toiletries - I do not want pictures of me looking like a hospital zombie!
phone and numbers

ETA food and more food. I hate hospital food!!

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#17 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 05:10 PM

I wasn't planning on staying long (ended being 30 hrs instead of 24 as they lost Luke's cord blood and I am rH-) anyway I didn't bring much as I didn't see the need or hassle. I just wore the hospital gowns until I went home, so had just one change of clothes. We brought the camera and camcorder and a set of coming home clothes for Luke, I really do not remember bringing anything else or feeling a great desire to have anything else- I sent dh out to get some food but the hospital food was ok.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#18 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 05:43 PM

I love those mesh panties too!! I need to look for a box on the internet. I want to bring cloth pads but I don't know where I would store them in the hossy, same with cloth diapers and wipes..

I've packed slippers, a few nursing gowns, a nursing bra, and thats about it so far. I am going to bring some clothes for my little one too.

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

#19 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 06:50 PM

I wore my own clothing during both of my hospital births: oversized tee shirt to labor/birth in, and then some sort of comfortable cotton nightgown with easy nursing access afterward. I wore the disposable stretchy net panties that hospital provided since they were comfortable, worked well with the giant post-partum pads, and I didn't care if they got soiled.

Here's my labor bag list from #2. It looks like a lot now but these were the things we actually wanted - and used - for about a 24-hour stay. I printed the list and my DH made sure we had everything before heading out.

Labor Bag:
snacks
cell phone charger
iPod/charger
cassette adapter
camera/charger
videocam/charger
CDs
folder with paper, name spellings, phone #s
labor shirt
thick socks
unscented lotion
toothbrush
toothpaste
face lotion
soap
shampoo/conditioner
deodorant
chapstick
hair ties
brush
pajamas
bras
sanitary napkins
going home outfit for me
going home outfit for baby
receiving blankets (2)
matches and birthday candle
bag for dirty laundry

Purse:
wallet
cell phone
calendar
brush
chapstick

Car:
pillows in colored cases
blanket
puke bucket
wet pads

DH’s Bag:
cell phone
tee shirts
socks
underwear
change of clothing
toothbrush
mints/gum
deodorant
chapstick

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#20 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 09:06 PM

I loved, loved, loved the mesh undies. They are great for after a c-section because they don't hit your incision. I actually stole the extras from my hospital room after my ectopic removal so that I'd have more for my next birth. :

I wear the hospital gown. The hospital I go to has pretty nice gowns, in the maternity ward anyway. They're 100% cotton and big enough for modesty, on me anyway. And there's a separate robe that goes over the gown so you really don't have to worry about flashing anyone.

I took a lot of stuff I didn't need last time. The only things I used at all were:
Fresh socks
Baby going-home outfit
Gas-X
Toothbrush
Back scratcher (which I sent my husband out to buy for me on the second day)
Camera
Lip balm

I went home in the same outfit I came in wearing because I didn't fit into the one I'd brought to go home in. I used the hospital toiletries and didn't bother with my own (except toothbrush). I wore the gown the whole time. I didn't have the mental energy for cards, books, or other things I'd brought to entertain myself. I just held the baby and watched TV. (Including a L&O about a shaken toddler that has been burned into my brain ever since. )

This time, I'm going to pack lightly.
#21 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubris View Post
matches and birthday candle
Awww.. That's a cool idea. Also, thanks for mentioning "DH's bag" I totally forgot he needed stuff too. lol.

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

#22 of 28 Old 04-15-2007, 01:06 AM

Great thread! Giving me lots of ideas as to what to bring! As it will be July when we go, we are bringing a little desk fan, as I get hot so darn easy.
#23 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower223 View Post
Awww.. That's a cool idea. Also, thanks for mentioning "DH's bag" I totally forgot he needed stuff too. lol.
Yeah, I didn't pack his bag but I thought it should be on our list so that he remembered to grab some stuff!

Re: the candle/matches: my first son had a picnic with my sister while we were at the hospital. We had an overnight bag for him as well (contents listed on the same sheet). I sent cake mix and icing in his overnight bag so that he and his auntie could bake cupcakes. When DS2 was a couple of hours old, we had moved to a post-partum room and I was cleaned up, my mom and dad, sister and DS1 came for a birthday party for the baby. The candle was one of those numeral ones, it was a number zero.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#24 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 11:26 AM

For those who want them... you can find them in a variety of places, but two options for buying those mesh panties are http://www.mamagoddessbirthshop.com/ and http://www.birthwithlove.com (plug "mesh" into the search box on the main pages of either website).

Enjoy!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#25 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 PM

I bring my own clothes and underwear. This time I'm packing 2 t-shirts, 2 pairs of pajama pants, slippers, a going home outfit, and 6 pairs of regular cotton undies.
#26 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Thank you for posting this. I'm just about ready to pack my bag (I'm six months now).
#27 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
A tiny french press and a baggie with different herbal teas and "good" coffee (so you can get hot water from the hospital and brew your own beverage if you want).
I have to pop in and say this is brilliant! Why didn't I think of it last time? I was stuck in the hospital longer than expected after DS's birth, and I think I suffered weak-coffee-and-Lipton poisoning. A wonderful nurse who understood I wanted OUT, finally said to DH, "you need to go get her some real food. I bet she'll be well enough to go by the end of my shift if you get her a real coffee and an appetizing meal." Sure enough, I was.

That french press is coming with me!
#28 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 04:52 PM

I was fine wearing the hospital gown and undies the first day or two - better not to ruin my clothes. I, too, loved the mesh undies.

DD 8 and DS 4 ribbonorange.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page