Consent to HIV testing? Did you do this? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 98 Old 04-27-2007, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysusie View Post
I've consented everytime. The doctors I have went to won't treat you unless you consent.
Wow. Wouldn't touch THOSE drs with a 10 foot pole....

-Angela
#92 of 98 Old 04-27-2007, 03:31 PM

I did not consent, originally, and then the Kaiser CNM told me that the baby would be tested at birth so I went ahead with the test. Figured it was no big deal because I knew it would be negative. Found out after the fact that the CNM lied to me. There is no such law to test newborns in Colorado.

Then I read that there is a chance of having a false positive when you are pregnant which happened to a woman in Denver. She was forced to take AZT anti AIDS drugs to prevent the baby from getting HIV. She later found out after the baby was born that she never had HIV.

Could you imagine having a positive? What horrible feelings you would have or how your DH may feel about you or future sex.

If you know your history and your Dh's history then don't bother.

Needless to say I have switched to a homebirth midwife now.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#93 of 98 Old 04-27-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkylayne View Post
I consented because my OB asked me to have it. In the unlikely event that a hospital worker would come into contact with my blood I would want them to know for sure if I had HIV/AIDS. I guess it was a put myself in their shoes kind of thing. I had the regular prenatal panel done and they took it as part of that, so it was no extra work on my part and covered by my insurance.

I thought healthcare workers were supposed to take "Universal Precautions" and assume that any and all blood they may come in contact with is potentially infected.
#94 of 98 Old 04-29-2007, 10:59 PM

I would never consent to being tested for anything--especially not for HIV. False positives are very common, and it would be unspeakably horrible to be forced to take medications for HIV while pregnant.

Also, some experts have asserted that there's no evidence that HIV causes AIDS. They say that HIV is just a harmless virus, and that AIDS is caused by drug use and other things that depress the immune system. Read this book for a very eye-opening explanation of the politics of AIDS: Inventing the AIDS Virus by Peter Deusberg.
#95 of 98 Old 04-29-2007, 11:27 PM

I consented but I consent to every possible test that might be an indicator that I might need to take extra precautions to insure the safety and health of my baby. I didn't have any reason to think I might actually have HIV but I don't have any reason to think I'd be RH- either. I err on the side of absolute paranoia.
#96 of 98 Old 04-30-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice View Post
I thought healthcare workers were supposed to take "Universal Precautions" and assume that any and all blood they may come in contact with is potentially infected.
Yes they are. However, accidents happen. I accidentally stuck myself with a patient needle years ago. I was being careful and following Universal Precautions. I had to be tested and retested and we had to have the patient consent to being tested to blood borne diseases. I wish I could wear a hazmat suit to work because aside from that needle stick, I've also been splashed with blood, vomit, amniotic fluid, spit, meconium, urine, sweat, breast milk... There's probably more grossness that I've touched and luckily usually just my clothes get it. Like I said, accidents happen.

I consented to the HIV test. I trust my own knowledge and I trust my doctor.
#97 of 98 Old 04-30-2007, 12:28 AM

As some others have said, yes and then no. With my first I was only a less than two years with his dad, so yeah, I thought it a good idea. And again with his brother, because we concieved when baby#1 was only six months old, and I had heard that it doesn't always show up early (???), but most recently, no I refused, because I *knew* I was safe. I avoid as much of these things as I can responsibly do.
#98 of 98 Old 04-30-2007, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was tested my first pregnancy before I knew about the false positives... I wouldn't bother again.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page