For those who have had Obstetric Cholestasis. - Mothering Forums
I'm Pregnant > For those who have had Obstetric Cholestasis.
mamamoogs's Avatar mamamoogs 02:38 PM 04-23-2007
Please share, I am getting a little nervous now at 35 weeks i have been gettin itchy it started out on my belly and then chest now i feel a bit itchy onmy legs and arms so i dontknow what is normal but the more i think about it the itcher i get i guess i am afraid my homebirth wont work out that has been my fear for weeks now.

Can anyone who has experienced this tell me what they felt and just how itchy they were, i mean i am not ripping my skin off itchy just a little here and there,.

will my midwife want to do a blood test or should i just blow it off as dry skin?
dont know what to think

hergrace's Avatar hergrace 04:42 PM 04-23-2007
I'm dealing with cholestasis of pregnancy now. I didn't think I was that itchy. My arms and legs itched mildly, but the itching didn't respond to lotions or oatmeal baths. My doctor thought it probably wasn't cholestasis because my itching was light, but she ordered the tests to rule it out - and it was cholestasis.

I have responded really well to the medication, so it is under control.

My recommendation is that you get the blood tests for liver enzymes and bile acids done if you have any question because the risks with cholestasis are serious.
mexicomommy's Avatar mexicomommy 04:57 PM 04-23-2007
I had ICP with my last pregnancy. This site www.itchymoms.com is really helpful. I would encourage you to get the tests regardless of how much you are itching. I started my itching on my belly and back and it moved to my legs. I also had the dark urine and light colored poop. I know that many people have had wonderful healthy babies even with ICP, unfortunately that was not the case for us, we lost our little girl at 28 weeks. I tell you this not to scare you but to encourage you to get the tests ASAP and take all necessary precautions. I do know though of several moms at the itchymoms site who have had successful homebirths despite the ICP. Many of them induce naturally and have their baby that way. I too have done all homebirths so know how important it is for you. Please keep us updated!
Charlsie
mamaonthefarm's Avatar mamaonthefarm 10:25 PM 04-23-2007
Hi,
I had cholestasis with dc1. I was not nearly as itchy as I've heard other cholestasis mamas being. It was mostly at night for just an hour or so on my feet, legs, and wrists. Sometimes, I itched during the day too, on my ankles. I tested positive for it despite not being all THAT itchy and they broke my water (38 wks) and my dc was born quickly and was very healthy.

By the way, contrary to the almost 100 % recurrence rate, I did not get cholestasis with dc2 (did a huge diet change -- see www.westonaprice.org). I had him naturally and quickly and of course, spontaneous labor, at the nearby hospital. I am now 31 wks with dc3 and hoping again not to get it. I'm also planning a hb. I was itching mildly (5 minutes on feet at night) at about 15 wks in this pregnancy. The itching has completely stopped, coinciding with me drinking warm water with lemon juice on an empty stomach each morning. It could be a coincidence but the one morning last month that I did not do the lemon drink, my feet itched mildly that night. Try it if you like. I have zero itching currently.

Good luck,
Mamaonthefarm
smeep's Avatar smeep 01:00 AM 04-30-2007
I'm fairly certain I had cholestasis. I wasn't aware of the term (or risks) until months after I birthed my son, so obviously no tests were performed to determine if that was it, but I'm fairly certain it was. My cholestasis appeared very early on - maybe around 6 weeks or so in. I was already taking dandelion root, so I'm thinking that helped some. The second half of my pregnancy I was drinking a lot more water and was itching much less. Oatmeal baths were soothing as was menthol oatmeal lotion...but when the itching was going strong, nothing seemed to get rid of it. If I'd made the connection between the water and lack of itching, I'm sure I would've downed as many gallons as it took to make it stop! I birthed my son (on his own timing) at 41.5 weeks with a very quick and complication-free labour. No problems at all.
Up