Tips to reduce swelling? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 04-28-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 40wks, 3days and I have had swelling in my hands and feet since at least 20 something weeks...but the swelling in my feet/ankles is so much now I can hardly fit into flip flops and my feet hurt and I can hardly move my toes or ankles... My BP has been normal so I am not worried but just looking for some ideas to reduce swelling so I can be more comfortable (I know that is probaly a crazy idea )

Thanks for any sugestiions!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-28-2007, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have a pool or access to one, I've heard that immersing yourself daily can help reduce swelling (and help your body eliminate extra fluids).

My bathtub is too small for me, or I'd try it.
#3 of 11 Old 04-28-2007, 11:52 PM

Things I have heard help:

Alfalfa
Dandelion Root

I have been swimming lately and it has really helped me a TON! I'm a firm believer in the the swimming to help with swelling, I even notice a huge difference right after I'm done.

#4 of 11 Old 04-29-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

I am taking dandilion root for itching, had not thought of swimming (which is prety funny because I work fulltime supervising lifeguards at a pool and was on a swim team last year - just for conditioning)...thanks for the suggestion - I am going to swim next week!

and my belly is also to big for my bathtub as I found out when trying to take an oatmeal bath a month or so ago (all I did was clog up our drain so bad we had to call plumber - and the oatmeal water didn't even cover my belly )
#5 of 11 Old 04-29-2007, 12:54 AM

I hadn't heard about swimming either. Thanks, I looked down at my feet today and was tempted to paint them green and have Shrek feet. They look huge.
#6 of 11 Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM

Eating cucumbers (like, 2 or 3 a day) helped me when I was near delivery. I carried a lot of water weight for the last few weeks and this helped a bit. Good luck!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (11y) and one sweet boy (7y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#7 of 11 Old 04-29-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimay View Post
I hadn't heard about swimming either. Thanks, I looked down at my feet today and was tempted to paint them green and have Shrek feet. They look huge.
#8 of 11 Old 04-29-2007, 02:35 PM

B-6 will take care of the swelling.
#9 of 11 Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 PM

Don't forget to eat some salt. Salt plays a huge role in keeping your body fluids, specifically blood fluids, in balance. I'm not talking about eating tons, just some salty snacks and salting your food to taste.

Are you eating enough protein everyday? That helps too.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#10 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 AM

Watermelon and cucumber for sure...full-body emersion (swimming)...rest...elevation of lower limbs...
#11 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 01:00 AM

It wasn't until this pg that I realized that pressure helps reduce swelling. I broke...well fractured...a bone in my foot at the start this time. I had major swelling in both feet and ankles last time, but I am really only swelling in the former broken foot now. On days when my foot gets really swollen, I either put on my super supportive tennis shoes (even when just at home), or I put my boot/cast back on. This has worked every time so far. I really think it is a lack of really supportive shoes (I seriously thought my Clarkes were supportive last time) that causes a lot of the swelling during pg. At least...that is what my foot doctor said, and I am finding that it is pretty true.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page