Can someone remind me why cold cuts are 'bad'? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having an intense--to the point of distraction--craving for Subway! Like, whole wheat bread, vggies, and turkey with oil and vinegar. I can practically see a subway out the window of where i am and I want it SOOO SOOO SOOO BADLY!

What's the harm in Subway again?
#2 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 PM

I read that it was because of listeria, which can be present in cold cuts. I'm not sure if that happens because the cold cuts aren't kept at the proper temperature or whether the bacteria is there anyway, but I read it was potentially very harmful to a developing baby and can even cause miscarriage, premature birth, and stillbirth. Very scary! That's also the problem with soft cheeses.

You are supposed to heat cold cuts until they are steaming, but that sounds very unappetizing to me!

But also, they are so high in sodium and the nitrates are terrible. You can find cold cuts without nitrates, though.

I've been eating nitrate-free cold cuts this time bc I've been so sick and need to eat whatever I can tolerate, but I didn't touch them during my last pregnancy when I followed all the rules.
#3 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 PM
PPK

I second the nitrates, there's a good amount of info linking them to pancreatic cancer, and that's one that you have little chance of surviving. There are stats easily available that mention the amount required to increase your chances of getting it, and it didn't take much.

there are nitrate free meats at whole foods, just don't buy too much at once, they only keep for a few days because there are no preseratives..always smell before eating! But really really good!
#4 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Listeria & nitrites/nitrates (maybe both).

I have hyperemesis. My mw encouraged me to eat what stays down. I don't believe a couple of subs is gonna kill anybody. You'll be fine.

Everything in moderation.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#5 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM

Supposedly cold cuts from places like Subway are safer because they're used so quickly.

I still won't chance it though.. Listeria is very insidious and cause a horrible infection and fetal death and it DOES happen to women in the US. Women from every walk of life.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#6 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM

You could always just have them toast your sub- i think they are good like that anyway. Then the meat is heated at least...

Mama to Otto (9/07) and expecting Greta (EDD 6/13)  familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.giflactivist.gif

#7 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I don't listen to the whole listeria scare-craze, and I eat and drink plenty of unpasteurised foods, including deli meats if I am so inclined. I do make sure that I know that the source is safe, and subway is far from healthy for many reason to me more important than the listeria. Nitrate free is it for me . I also drink raw milk and cheese, soft cheeses, unpasteurised juices, all of which put you at risk of listeria. I had an italian sub every day for 2 weeks a while back, no listeria here.

And steamed deli meats are nasty IMHO.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#8 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 PM

I've been skipping the deli meat, but I have had a HUGE craving for Subway the past few weeks and have had a veggie sub more days than not this week!
#9 of 16 Old 05-09-2007, 10:42 PM

The nitrates are bad, but mostly for *you* when used over the long-term.

The threat to your baby is from listeria monocytogenes. I used to sit on my state's Food Safety Advisory Board and I was *shocked* to learn how often deli meat is recalled due to listeria contamination or fear of contamination. I can't remember the exact figures, but there were quite a few per year. (These were for contamination right out of the plant, not from poor storage or handling.) You don't hear about listera outbreaks in the news too often because healthy adults get over it pretty well, and may not even seek medical care. But it is a grave danger to a fetus, very young children, and adults who are very ill or immuno-compromised.

Subway offers toasting now. I either have them heat the meat or have the sub toasted while I'm pg. (Actually, I usually get a veggie sub and have the worker put on fresh gloves before they make it.) Listeria is a small risk over all, but one that is so easily avoided where deli meat is concerned.

Quote:
I don't listen to the whole listeria scare-craze, and I eat and drink plenty of unpasteurised foods, including deli meats if I am so inclined.
I also continue to drink raw milk while pregnant. For me there is a risk/benefit equation with raw milk that doesn't exist for the deli meat. (Since there is no loss of nutrition by heating the already cooked meat.) Plus, I'm *way* more confident about the health of the cows and the safetly practices of the farm I get the milk from than I am about the safetly practices of deli meat processing plants. I've seen the number of recalls, and they are *not* reassuring. Just because you don't know anyone who got lysteria from deli meat doesn't mean no one ever does.

"CDC estimates there are 2,500 cases of Listeria food poisoning each year and 500 deaths." and "Listeria food poisoning is most frequently traced to deli meats, hot dogs, and other meat and poultry products that are labeled "cooked," and "ready-to-eat."
From http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/CFA_...ta_4.13.06.pdf

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#10 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 12:40 AM

I would go crazy if I did not have my Boars head cold cuts. Mmmmm, white american cheese and london port roast beef. Ohhhhhh, rosemary ham in scrambled eggs. Salsalito turkey!

I ate cold cuts all through my last pregnancy and am doing so again.

I like Boars Head brand because there are no fillers that can be so bad for you. I think part of the case against cold cuts are the fact that so many brands are not what they seem, turkey breast that is not really 100% turkey breast, so it's like filling up on empty calories.

I don't buy the listeria scare either. I believe it exists, but it's not a high enough risk to worry about a sandwich once or twice a week (or to satisfy a Subway craving).

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#11 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 AM

I'm craving subways but I'm holding out so far.

Surprisingly I feel stronger with regards to cravings with this pregnancy than I did with DS which I suffered desperately. After having gone through a miscarriage I was unwilling to risk another.

I told DH that he can go out and buy me a foot-long Subway as soon as I birth this baby
#12 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 AM

I craved Subway all the time with my 1st pregnancy (strangely enough I can't stand the thought of it this time around!) and basically lived off toasted subs. I figured that took care of the listeria issue... though the thought of the nitrites still bothered me.

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#13 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
I don't buy the listeria scare either. I believe it exists, but it's not a high enough risk to worry about a sandwich once or twice a week (or to satisfy a Subway craving).
That's exactly my opinion on the whole thing.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#14 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 AM

The risk of lysteria is so small, that I haven't worried about it.

Supposedly, there is more risk in sausage-style meats like salami or bologna. Safest is something that is in a block of solid meat, like turkey breast or roast beef.

I just try to stay away from little corner stores, where the meats have less turnover and they tend to seem less clean than larger stores.

I am very picky about what is in my cold cuts. I have found a few places that make their own turkey breasts without additives like nitrates and dextrose and whatever else they usually put in them. I go for just turkey breast and spices as the ingredients.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#15 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Just a caution to al who eat Subway sandwiches. Thier front refrigeration isn't really good....so go during lunch rush when the meat turnover is really short. Otherwise, the meat sits. When I still ate meat, I got wicked food poisoning from a Subway sandwich that I got at the end of the day.
#16 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 04:12 PM

So what's up with all the Subway cravings??!!! My first I had a huge craving for subway, I was lucky b/c my brother worked there and I would get free subs!! This Preg is the same way!! Subway was the only thing, that the thought of it wouldn't make me sick in the first trimester!! But with my first I craved it during the last Trimester!! In fact it was the last meal I ate b/f going into active labor!!!

But yes I do agree with AugustLia23. Fast food joints are gross...and pretty much no nutrition. We also drink/eat raw dairy...and don't have problems. But our immune systems are use to it as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page