Pregnant with #1 in our 30's May Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'll start it! I realize May started a while back, but...our thread is getting so long!

Good morning all...I'm actually going to venture to the mall today to try for some clothes. My friend has a football game and her mom is in town, so I'm going to take mom to the mall to get our nails done and then drag her to Sears (which may be the only store in that mall with a maternity section). This mall, mind you, is actually listed on a site called "deadmalls.com" but I like it because it won't be as crowded...and on a Saturday? Ugh, too many people at the other malls. So, wish me luck... if I could just find at least one pair of pants...

Nat, sorry you're sick! I agree, meds unbalance you as much as they help sometimes. That said, I couldn't get by without my Prilosec every day cuz my heartburn is so bad...but I'm off of some other meds I've been on for a long time and loving it. It was time. I did take antibiotics for strep a year ago cuz it just was NOT going away and I couldn't even swallow, but man they do give yeast infections, don't they? And I just found out that I have to take antibiotics during delivery cuz I have a heart murmur where blood leaks back into two of the ventricles, and I could end up with endocarditis or some nasty thing. I talked to my aunt (a med tech who had the same thing) and she said DO IT, it really does happen. So, ugh. In times like that, I'm grateful for modern medicine. But sometimes they can overdose you, like your story. That stinks. And, thanks for telling me what your midwife said about your not having risk factors...I don't either, other than that I'm almost the same age as you (6 months older...you will tell us when your birthday is, right? )...but I had to kind of drag it out of my doctor. "Do you see anything to alarm you other than my age?" "No." "Thank you." Ha. I mean, jeez, they do enough blood tests on me as it is! They took four vials last time! I don't even know what for...HIV, hepatitis, on and on...hello, I don't have any of that...look in my history...they use an out-of-network lab every time and I have to pay a copay for each test they do!

CM...the early test seems pretty non-invasive...go ahead and do it if it seems right, and then hopefully you will have peace of mind for the rest of your pregnancy. That's a good thing.

Christy...how are those two little beans of yours? You gaining weight yet? I read somewhere that you were a little worried you weren't gaining. Are you still?

My DH sent me a link to the nuchal fold translusency (is that right?) test...reminded me it was less invasive and that if I chose, it wasn't too late as I'm still in my first tri technically. I'm getting the feeling that although he'd never force it, he really would like me to do some kind of testing. "It would be nice to be prepared." I said again, I just don't feel like it's necessary, can't we go from the u/s at 20 weeks. They can tell a lot from that." He said ok. That's what he gets for being respectful of my decisions! He doesn't get his way! I did say, hey look, this is your baby too, and if you REALLY REALLY wanted me to do the amnio, well, then...I'd just have to argue harder against it to convince you otherwise. Seriously, no tests. Go away with the needles! But I really am looking forward to the u/s...I want to see the baby! And know what it is! I thought it was a girl, but if you listen to the wive's tales on timing of BD and O'ing (I think we BD'd ON the day I O'd that month), and the Chinese lunar calendar, and the fact that the heartbeat seemed slower than I thought it would be (slower hb's tend to be boys)...it's a boy! So I just don't know what to think. We did finally come up with a boy's name that we just love though, so that's encouraging. I'm feeling a little better about potentially having a boy...it's Oliver. Isn't that cute? And I bet he'll be the only Oliver around!

Enough out of me...time for a bagel! (I've found more food I can eat, yay! I keep outsmarting the aversions! This week it's bagels and Ramen noodles!)

Oh, I have some thoughts on that article about telling your kids they're smart...WOW, that hit home...but it'll have to wait. Besides, I've gone on too long anyhow! Bye girls!
#2 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Wow, this seems a lot easier to keep up with. Thanks Julia. I got lost on the other thread (not that I'll be able to keep up with this one if it moves as fast but at least there won't be as much to read ).

I think I'm gaining weight. Thing 1 and Thing 2 seem to be doing well, as I had to get maternity pants (and I need more still) because even my one size to big stuff didn't fit anymore.

I'm totally lost on the other thread, so I have no idea on the current topics, hence I'll say hi to everybody and hopefully keep up with the new thread.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#3 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 12:11 PM

woohoo new thread!

Grace24 - I love Oliver too, it's in our top two currently along with Noah if it's a boy.

Am 37 weeks today - officially cleared for the birth center (phew). The June ddc is already starting with birth announcements! :
#4 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 12:17 PM

Hello!
Oliver is really sweet! Re: old wive's tales... the one about the heartbeat apparently doesn't hold. (I googled this and found studies, b/c my babe's heartbeat was low in my early appointments, like high 120s, but I'd thought she was a girl. And she is!) The one about when you BD though is real: there's a whole gender-choosing method [the Shettles method] based on the scientific fact that boy sperm swim faster, while girl sperm are slower but much heartier. Of course it isn't a hundred percent accurate. So if you BD close to when you O, the boys are likely to get there faster. Of course there may have been a girl hanging out from earlier...

If my DH had been a bit more insistent, I woulda done the nuchal translucency test as opposed to other tests. I honestly don't know what we would have done if we'd gotten "bad news." (It would have depended a lot on what the "bad news" was.) I _do_ know that I am angry as heck as about the recent legislation I won't mention here that limits what we could have done if our "big" u/s had showed something major.
#5 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Dude, you ladies are fast.

CJ! I'm so excited! You've gotta keep us posted. Do you have any kind of sense about your labor, whether you'll be early or leisurely? Are you finding ways to fill the down time?

From the other thread, I wanted to say, let's see. (Hoping I don't get any names wrong!) Becky! I love Emma, even though it's popular. It's like classic popular, not trendy popular.

Jenn, thanks so much for sharing the news about your mom. That really made me happy.

Christy, hi, glad the Things are doing well! I think the trick is, the topic at hand is whatever you want to talk about. Sometimes we all want to talk about the same stuff, but it's also fine to talk about whatever you want and see if anyone else is feeling that too.

Natalia and Dee, I know I wanted to say hi. Go go immune system, kicking that illness on its own. And Dee, it was nice of you to ask about my DH. His episode ended abruptly and now he's back to his normal ornery self. Radical change. Still wishing he could blend the states a bit better -- be less insane during episodes, but more self-aware and chatty during "normal life," but, you know, I'm grateful we had the stuff in place to deal with it.

Emily, I love your idea about making more of a connection between the TTC thread and this one. I read over there sometimes and it's so hilarious, but I don't feel right posting since I never did before (I lurked). I'd be supportive of some kind of "welcome" page or whatever. Thanks also for posting your thoughts on no siblings. I feel that way, too -- that doing it ONLY because kids "need siblings" is the wrong reason, at least for me.
#6 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 12:59 PM

Okay ladies. Me again. (I know! I'm a big part of the problem with the proliferating posts on this thread. I'm sorry! I'm VERY VERBAL.) Anyway, my interest in baby names is less a responsible parently interest and more like a, how do you say it?, obsession. I mean, I've followed the Social Security list for YEARS, not just this year.

So DH and I agree on exactly one girl's name: Ada. I also love Beatrix and Tallulah and like that, but I'm having a really hard time calling this babe Beatrix, like she's rejecting it. (Although actually? Lately she's being pretty bratty with the pumping gallons of hormones into me all the time and kicking me when I try to go running and I'm starting to see her as more of a Beatrix so this all might be moot. But anyway.)

We love Ada after Ada Lovelace, the first computer programmer (Lord Byron's daughter), and I love it after this novel by Nabokov, which is all about incest. But I promise you it's a nice novel! Anyway...

...I'm feeling not as happy about it right now because of how much it sounds like Ava. Ava is VERY POPULAR right now. It's a nice name, but it's just that Ada used to be this weird little name, and now it sounds like Aidan and Ava and all that. So that's my question to you guys. Do you think of Ava when you hear Ada? Does Ada sound all trendy and popular to you? I'm overthinking this, right?
#7 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 01:54 PM

Minnow glad to hear your DH is back to himself again!

It's funny that you mentioned Beatrix and Ava. I think and hope that this babe is a boy but I had a dream early in pregnancy with strong Beatrix/Beatrice vibes and I've been wondering about it ever since. No offense, but I'm not particularly fond of the name so it's weird that I got that vibe.

Ava, on the other hand, is a name that DH and I both love, I just don't think I could use it since it's so popular. I have an unusual name and have always liked it (Dee is my nickname) and my sister always hated having a common name, with 3 other girls in every class named the same thing. So I'd like to use something slightly less common based on personal experience. I like you choice of Ada, which is familiar like Ava but slightly different. To me, that's the perfect combination.

I'm looking for a boy's name with the same qualities and having a rough time with it! :

Becky I love the name Emma too! Please don't take offense to what I said about popular names, it's just a preference of mine.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#8 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 04:41 PM

I'm new, but I'll pipe up! I'm 34 and pregnant with our first (20 weeks). We have the big ultrasound coming up on Monday. At first I was just excited in hopes of finding out the sex, but now I'm nervous that everything is okay. I didn't have the quad-screen or amnio, so I'm hoping things look good!

I'll try to keep up!
#9 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 PM

I'm fairly new, too. DH and I spent the day furniture shopping and the marriage has survived, ha ha. I think we made some good choices. We also braved the baby shops for the first time to get an idea of some prices and options. Holy overwhelming. But it was good to finally break into that realm. I mean, there were women in there due well after me already shopping away. We didn't buy a thing but made some lists.

We declined almost all testing. I know they did a bunch of blood work at my first prenatal appt which was with an OB, and we also did the 20 week u/s. I like not having the pregnancy being all about tests and probabilities. If there is something wrong with baby, we'll deal with it when she or he is here.

Hope you are all well!
#10 of 151 Old 05-12-2007, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Cornpicker...good for you...yikes, I haven't even braved those baby stores yet! So are you with a midwife now?

So do midwives not require all the blood tests? I don't know how much blood I have left for these people!

I did manage to buy a few things at Motherhood and a couple things at Macy's (which were actually Motherhood brand ). They're ok...I'm finding this really challenging. I'm going to have to do the maternity shopping in stages...I finally learned what looked good on my "zaftig" body, now the rules have all changed again. And I just look so durned BIG in the mirrors. Crap. (Pardon my language.) Body image issues again. But I managed to get a pair of jeans which of course I have to hem because I'm not 6'2, a tank top which I probably can't put in the dryer ever, a sweater I have to wear a tank under cuz it's so low-cut (why, when my boobs are now an E cup, do they think we want to show this off?) and a pair of capris which are too big at the moment. I'll try a couple more stores Tuesday...like I said, in stages. It's frustrating...I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't like buying really cheap stuff either cuz it just doesn't fit me right (not cuz I'm a snob). Patience, I guess.

Now for my Ramen noodles...my food cravings change from week to week...this week it's Ramen and bagels. Apparently I'm growing a starving college student.
#11 of 151 Old 05-13-2007, 09:52 AM

YAAAY for a May thread! Now everyone who gets a BFP can just jump right in without feeling overwhelmed. Great idea!!

Natalia - hope you're feeling better!

Jenn - great news about your mom!

cornpicker - I hear you on the baby stores. Never go on a Saturday. You can literally go insane. About 75% of the items we look at and go "What does this do?"

Emily -
Quote:
Do NOT have a second babe just because you think your first one "needs" a sibling.
I strongly agree with this. My parents decided not to have another child for a multitude of reasons (despite my whining to them) the first and foremost being financial. They grew up quite poor and felt that if they had brought another into the mix, they wouldn't be able to afford to give us both the life they really wanted to. And something else to do with my mother's insanely horrible 2 day epidural-less labour...

Grace - so you DID find out it's a boy or are you still hypothesizing? Oliver is a great name. My friend Sam named her second son that. I love the name!!

Old wives tales are hilarious though! People have been guessing our gender for awhile now and some of the reasons for why they think we're having one or the other are hilarious. I sadly have no motherly intuition either way. One day I swear that it's a boy, the next day I think it's a girl, then back again.

Regarding tests, I did the First Trimester screen, a gazillion vaults of blood taken and then they did a Level II U/S and that's about it for now. I don't think I was even offered any 2nd trimester Quad tests etc at all by my doctors. I totally respect anyone who decides it's not their comfort level or chooses not to do any tests. As always I should mention I am high risk so I get tested a lot for things regardless of what I would like to have happen literally for the safety of my own life because the last thing I can afford to risk is a clot while pregnant or a hemmorhage or worse. So my doctors check things like ensuring my blood is flowing accordingly and well via my placenta to the baby. Turns out that the flow of the blood through a vein or some major adjoining artery to the baby on my left side is slower than my right, but they were anticipating that because of the history of my clot being on my left side. So due to the scar tissue there, the blood does flow slower.

minnow - I actually know an Ada. She's my friends sister!! I have never heard of anyone else consider that name so that's so cool. I also agree on the Ava thing. Another friends sister had a girl and named her that only her name is Eavan and she wanted to use Ava to sort of incorporate her name into that and had no idea how popular it currently was. So far out of my friends who have recently had babies, there has a been a Noah, Chloe, Oliver, Ava, Eva, Ruby and Keane.

In terms of names we can't agree on anything. I love Evan, Jacob and Ryan for a boy. If we have a boy his middle name will be James after my husband, that's the one thing we have confirmed. The only girl name I really like is Laela which is the exact name/spelling of one of my oldest friends and the one thing that is holding me back is the idea of naming someone the same name as someone I know. Because what if you have a fallout or something? The stigma would always be there. So we're still on the fence about the final choice and it's a hard choice because our last name is a strong ethnic european sounding one and it's so hard to find a complimentary first name to it.

I must give my husband a big thumbs up though! I got home from work on Friday and he as it turns out had spent the entire day at home moving all the furniture around from our bedroom to the den/baby's new room to be and put together the IKEA crib (which he nearly lost his mind doing because their instructions are a pain in the ass). And this was no small feat I must say because we had a lot of junk laying around and I still can't figure out how he moved some of the bookshelves that I *know* take 2 people to move (or 2 of me). So I walked into the apt and was like "OH MY GOD!!!" I can't believe he did all that. Considering bending over is not fun these days I was very happy!

And then yesterday we purged an absurd amount of "stuff". You know those mystery boxes and things lurking in your closet that you're like "Why do I still have this?" or have been in denial of tossing or giving away to Goodwill? That type of stuff. And there is still soooooooo much more to go.
#12 of 151 Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Alex...I'm just hypothesizing...I won't know the gender for 2 months. It's driving me crazy! I'm not a patient person sometimes! I'm glad you have good doctors, esp. if you're high-risk, and that they're being careful with you. I think there are definitely times to be glad that there are all of these tests available...just, with me, I don't see the point. I'm not high-risk but I did find out that I have to have antibiotics at my delivery... I have a trace of a heart murmur in two ventricles but because there's regurgitation of blood back into the ventricles I have to take anti-b's when I go to the dentist. So that's the limit of it so far. That's sweet that your DH did all that! What a nice surprise! I hate putting together Ikea stuff. But I remember the pic of that crib and I love it!

I just can't stop popping in and talking!

Oh...and Ada is a lovely name. (Forget who was asking, sorry...)
#13 of 151 Old 05-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Omigod you guys. Stuff is totally coming out of my nipples.

I know it's supposed to? But it's still weird.
#14 of 151 Old 05-13-2007, 11:59 AM

minnow, my MIL's name is Ada, so I don't think of anything but my annoying beast of a MIL when I hear it. Seriously, though, if that wasn't my MIL's name, I'd probably have put it on my names list! It *is* very pretty and unique it's NOT Ava or Aidan. OH! and boob leakage is totally normal. How far along are you? I read that it can start around 20-ish weeks.

WELCOME veganone! Good luck at your u/s tomorrow!

We went to my nephew's birthday party yesterday, which was 2.5 hours away and pretty much the entire car ride my husband was throwing names at me. We still need to think and sit with some names and see how they feel to us. Oh, and my oh-so-tacful sister told me I looked "huge" -- I told her that's not a nice thing to say to a pregnant lady! AND I started feeling kicks from the outside this week and my husband finally felt his first kick this morning! Yay!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE!
#15 of 151 Old 05-13-2007, 12:20 PM

Grace, yes, I'm with a homebirth mw now. I'm sure it totally varies depending on the mw (or OB) which tests they want you to do. I don't know which my MW would have required had I started out with her. Then again, I'm not sure if they can require anything... or if ultimately they can advise and it is totally up to you which tests you want to do. I know mine wants me to do the glucose 1 hour screen in 2 weeks, so I will do that one.

Re: the baby shops. I was laughing so hard at some of the products. They had knee pads for babies learning to crawl! ha ha ha ha!
#16 of 151 Old 05-13-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Kneepads! Good lord!

What do you guys think of this stroller?

http://showcase.netins.net/web/jdierick/products.html

Does anyone know anything about it? DH's friend recommends it, says it was the coolest product they got. This same person used CD and says we have to wash them 4 times. I'm wondering if that's true... if so, I don't know if I can keep up with it! I've never heard that before!
#17 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 AM

*Deep breath*

soooooooooo I'm tentatively joining you wonderful mamas over here now. I'm still feeling like it's very surreal, probably since I'm not even late yet, but six tests say yes. I'm going to my dr asap to get a blood test confirmation and, well, fingers crossed.
#18 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 AM

VeganOne and Sarah!

VeganOne good luck with your u/s today & keep us updated.

Sarah yay for the green line on the chart! I had a good feeling your last AF was the start of your 40 week wait.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#19 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 AM

Sarah, yaaaaaay for that green line! It's absolutely gorgeous :

Hi to everybody else... I tested positive just about a week ago, but I've been in a state of disbelief since then... Hence, this is my first post here. I guess I was emboldened by Sarah's quick transition

The monthly thread is a wonderful change, and I now perhaps stand a chance of keeping up
#20 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 09:25 AM

Welcome Sarah and Xenon!!!! I know how exciting it is and surreal too!

Thanks for all the well-wishing, I'm feeling better. Man this thing is a beast that is holding on! But I'm back at work now since I couldn't hack another day of boredom. I'm hoping that when I stop working because of the baby it will feel different and I will know how to structure my day better. I must feel productive.... this past week (okay it's true I was sick so I should let myself off the hook) I just watched the days evaporate. Why does time go faster when you are at home? My day at the office is LONG.

Julia - I like the look of the stroller although what happens once the baby is a toddler and you really need a stroller? Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like it's a carseat for babies on wheels? Who am I kidding I have no clue about all the babygear... I'm keeping it very simple, basically not buying anything because it all scares me .

Me and DH have finally decided that yes we will fork over the cash and buy the cool Bugaboo. I don't think we have as much selection over here as you guys in the States. There is another stroller that to me looks like a bug but of course it's super cool called Stokke - that is the other option. Both cost about the same. I prefer the Bugaboo. So thank you all for helping in the rationalizing!

Alex - sounds like your nesting instincts have kicked into full throttle. to your hubby for putting together the Ikea crib!!! Btw the Ikea experience is international. Everyone even the Swedes can't follow those directions!!!

Lane - I think I told you a while back that Ada in Spanish is pronounced the same as hada - which means fairy. I really like the name!

Veganone - good luck today with the u/s - can't wait to see if the baby is a boy or a girl.

Btw am I the only one not finding out until the birth?!!!!

Oh and just one quick comment about the sibling discussion - although siblings are important to me, I of course think it's up to each couple. I'm all for diversity! We've got to keep things mixed up! Anyway I want more than one now but who knows how I'll feel after I have one.... oh and the thought of the first trimester.... that may have to fade a bit before I do this again. Having said that I'm really enjoying the second trimester.

Oliver is nice but I LOVE Noah... tooo bad my DH says NO to all biblical names. And I like Laela too. My DH and I still have zero names. I'm thinking we may name our baby - Kid... just as a default.
#21 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 11:30 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEKK!!!
OMG OMG OMG!!!

SarahJen and Xenon - WELCOME!!!!!!!! and Congratulations!!!!

Quote:
Btw am I the only one not finding out until the birth?!!!!
Nope we're waiting too. And it's been CRAZY!!!!

A) Shopping is unbelievably challenging because everything is so gender divided into pink and blue. Where the hell is all the green, red, grey, yellow and printed items...

B) You'd think you'd have some intinct as a mother to be right? As to what gender it is? I have none. The strongest vibe I got was when I walked into the "nursery" after my husband had put together the crib and the first thought that went through my head was "This totally feels like Evan's room..." and then even when I looked at the flowers on the calendar on the wall I was like "That doesn't fit in here" and then I realized what I was saying. Or I that could just be wishful thinking because we're hoping it's a boy.

And C) Everytime I go for an ultrasound despite me telling them "Don't tell me the gender" I find myself growing more and more impatient and trying to sneak glances in places I know I shouldn't be on screen - as if I have any clue what I am looking at because they once pointed out a nostril to me and I was like "Oh...we're on the face right now??" having no idea what I was looking at.

For those not finding out, do you have any guesses based on your tummy shape or old wives tales yet?
#22 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 PM

Really quick post just ot get subscribed to the thread and say Hi. Of course I was cross posting my sibling views when Julia posted that she was starting a new thread so I TOTALLY missed that she had done it and now I am way behind. Ack. Be back later with comments, personals (except I absolutely have to welcome xenon and Sarah to the grads thread. Woohoo!!!!)
#23 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Welcome SarahJen and Xenon!!! So glad you're joining us!

As for finding out the babies sex: I didn't want to know, and would still like to keep it a secret, but my mom really, really, really wants to know, and since one of the only things she can do right now is knit, she really wants to make some gender specific clothing for the new baby. So far, I have some green and yellow newborn sweaters that are absolutely gorgeous. I also have a light blue and yellow striped knit sleep sack with a matching sweater, which I may use to bring baby home in. DH and I love blue so boy or girl, blue was a good choice for us. Anyway, we are going to find out of the baby is willing to share at our 20 week u/s next Monday. We've also decided to tell my mom the babies gender with a big bouquet of flowers - we have pink and blue hydrangas

Names: DH and I kept tossing out names all weekend. He doesn't seem attached to anything, so I either get YUCK, no way or I get Eh, that's okay. I've always loved the names Meridith Elaine and Lorelai Rose for girls, so maybe one of those will grow on him (Elaine and Rose are both family middle names). For boys, I've always had trouble. I like Noah Robert, he doesn't want such a strong biblical name. I like William Daniel and his new bosses name is Bill...ack! So, right now, we are jokingly telling everyone that if we have a boy, his name will be Peter (our last name is Piper, so it would be torture to the poor kid to name him Peter). We have decided that once we pick names, no one IRL will know until babe is born.

Strollers: The bugaboo looks nice. DH and I decided to get the Bob Revolution Stroller, which is a three wheeled stroller. A few of our friends have it and love it.
#24 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 03:57 PM

rock_dr, not that you asked for my opinion, but noah is really trendy, at least around here, so i would vote for oliver.
#25 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~minnow~ View Post
Hthe one about the heartbeat apparently doesn't hold. (I googled this and found studies, b/c my babe's heartbeat was low in my early appointments, like high 120s, but I'd thought she was a girl. And she is!)
that's what my mw said. apparently the study it was based on was done DURING LABOR and was only like 66% accurate (barely better than a guess).
#26 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 04:04 PM

Minnow, I have been obsessed with baby names since forever too. So I like Ada best of your names. I agree that Ava is crazy popular right now, particularly among the "yuppie" set, but Ada is different, yk?
#27 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 04:06 PM

Becky, A friend has an Emma whom I love -- she was the flower girl at our wedding... She likes her name -- spent last summer reading Jane Austen books and watching the films and writing essays comparing the two -- but does report that there is always another Emma in her class... I think Emma is (or at least was) linked to socioeconomic class -- they live in a richer than average suburb.
#28 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 04:08 PM

VeganOne, I was nervous before my u/s (nuchal) too. I think it's normal to feel that way. Soon you will feel relieved and ecstatic.
#29 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 PM

BABY NAMES: The boys' name I like that DH hasn't rejected (but hasn't agreed to ) is still in the top 50 and climbed 4 points. Arg. The girls' name I want (DH's suggestion initially, but now he won't commit : ) stayed the same -- in the top 500 but not in the top 100. In an ideal world, that would be the level of popularity I would want. When I was born, my name was in like the 80's -- about right -- recognizable but not shared with anyone in any class ever. I really wish DH would either grant me naming authority or show some interest already! He doesn't really engage in it. He would prefer to put it off till after the birth; I think it's high time he stepped up to the plate. Heard this before?
#30 of 151 Old 05-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Grace, i totally relate re how depressing it is to shop for maternity clothing. i bought the least hideous of each type of thing. i think motherhood was the worst. i spent hours in there and felt awful about myself. dh keeps encouraging me to buy more (totally unlike him) just so i won't feel so bad about myself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page