Best Breast Pump? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have a favorite breast pump to recommend?
Thank you!!
Krista
#2 of 21 Old 05-15-2007, 08:24 PM

but i have been asking around also....so far i have heard medela is the best. i was also given a site to check for a good price http://www.hackleyhme.com/ if you call the number they have a price list on the phone. HTH!
#3 of 21 Old 05-15-2007, 08:59 PM

I've used several and my favorite is Medela, if you could get the hospital grade double pump...even better, but the single one works just as great and is very comfortable. Depends on what kind of a pumper you'll be. The others that I've used just hurt and didn't pump milk out as effecient..
#4 of 21 Old 05-15-2007, 09:05 PM

I absolutly loved my Ameda Purely Yours.....Medela wasn't comfy for me...With my PY I took the inserts from the ISIS I got at my shower and put them in the horns and uber comfy!!!!
#5 of 21 Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 PM

Like others have said depends on what kind of pumper you'll be. I pumped very rarely and usually only small amounts for little things. I loved my Avent Isis manual pump. I had an electric that hurt my nips pretty badly and the Isis was super comfy and easy to use.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#6 of 21 Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM

I was an EPer had excellent results with a Medela Lactina Select. (about 75 oz a day)
#7 of 21 Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Medela Pump In Style. It's pricey. I think I paid $250 for it but it was so worth it.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#8 of 21 Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 PM

I love, love, love my Purely Yours! We had initial bf issues so I was pumping several times a day at the start. I was able to pump so much milk (always after a feeding) that I kept pumping and got a nice stockpile. It always made me feel good to have milk in the freezer for emergencies. I guess I need to start looking into donating milk for the next one....
#9 of 21 Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 PM

I got the Medela Pump In Style too. We had a lot of problems breastfeeding in the beginning and I ended up renting a hospital grade for a month. After that I decided to splurge on the Medela even though I sah just so I was sure it wouldn't be frustrating. I really like it and never had any problems.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#10 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 12:07 AM

Don't forget, if you have insurance, particularly that covers durable medical goods, to have your Dr., midwife or pediatrician to write a prescription for a breast pump and they may cover it. I didn't learn this until just recently, but better late (6th baby!) than never. Mine will pay 100% for a Pump in Style. Wahoo! It should be a help with Bfing issues.

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#11 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 10:45 AM

I had the Medela single electric pump. I even bought an adapter at Wal-Mart and could plug it in the car and pump on the way home from an outing. It will be just perfect if you are a SAHM if not, then for sure the double Medela electric. Stay toally away from any handheld pump.

Happy Pumping!
#12 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 12:31 PM

I have always heard Medela is great, I say go with one of those, I plan to. I don't have a lot of experience with pumping. I have been using a pump that my cousin gave me to try to induce labor through nipple stim, it was a cheap double electric pump my mom bought her, I think from wal-mart (go figure) it cost about $70 but I can't imagine using it for any length of time or for real milk.. I need one to bring to school (I am a teacher) in the fall but I definately won't be using this. It hardly works and it was barely used while cousin's baby was in the NICU when I got it, even on the highest the suction is very low, and it drips all over the place. I hate it. I asked my cousin about it the other day and she said she had the same problems. If you are going to be using your pump a lot you definately want to go for a high quality pump. It may be more expensive but it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

#13 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
Don't forget, if you have insurance, particularly that covers durable medical goods, to have your Dr., midwife or pediatrician to write a prescription for a breast pump and they may cover it. I didn't learn this until just recently, but better late (6th baby!) than never. Mine will pay 100% for a Pump in Style. Wahoo! It should be a help with Bfing issues.
Wow. Really? I need to look into that. I doubt my insurance would cover it though, I have rather crappy insurance

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

#14 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 02:54 PM

If you are going to be pumping a lot (going back to work) - I Highly recommend the Medela double electric pump - I had to pump twice sometimes 3 times a day - and this was quick, efficient and reliable. The only downfall is that it tends to be loud - so if you are at work, you will need to be in a private place. :-)
#15 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 03:02 PM

My friend also gave a 2 thumbs up to Medela. She will probably be done with hers by the time my twins arrive so she said I could borrow it. All I'll need to do is buy a seperate accessories pack which runs about $30 or so according to her. If you're looking to save some money and your insurance doesn't cover a new one, you might think about buying a relatively newer used model and a new accessory pack.
#16 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a pump in style and like it, but they are pricey if you don't plan to pump much. I splurged because I had planned o pump and donate milk, but never got to it. Maybe this time I will!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#17 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 03:55 PM

I used both the Medela Pump InStyle and the Avent ISIS manual pump. I actually liked both and didn't have a problem using the manual one. It let me better replicate the slightly uneven sucking pattern that ds used. Also, it was easy to slip into my work purse.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#18 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof3Nic View Post
Like others have said depends on what kind of pumper you'll be. I pumped very rarely and usually only small amounts for little things. I loved my Avent Isis manual pump. I had an electric that hurt my nips pretty badly and the Isis was super comfy and easy to use.
I loved my Isis and would love another one with this baby. I had to pump with DD and used it everyday to replace about 2 feedings. I really don't need one with this next babe, since I am not having to work or go to school, but I would really really like one.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#19 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 PM

I am so happy to see this thread as I need to look into getting one as well and as none have worked for me before, price will be worth it. If it does not work though are they hard to re-sell? How about renting them from some place online?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#20 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 10:15 PM

I have a Medela and Avent. I actually like the manual Avent better... but I don't pump that often. I think that the Medela was way overpriced... and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with it. I think if I had gone back to work and needed to pump a few times a day, I'd feel different though.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#21 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 10:39 PM

I was extremely impressed with the medela and used it thru many of my babes because I usually have an oversupply of milk. I also used it thru the beginning of one pregnancy cuz i was sooo sore I quit breastfeeding and pumped out enough milk during the first three months of my pregnancy to keep my little one breast feed until i delivered -- i didnt tandem cuz at that point my older baby was so used to the bottle with breast milk...but i think it is an awesome pump.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Tags
Breast Pumps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page