Questions about cesareans... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, the idea that I may need a c-section has been introduced. Baby is breech (and damned content there, it seems). There is plenty of time to turn it, but the Spinning Babies exercises seem to be doing a number on my back, and the local chiropractors don't do Webster manuevers.
Being breech isn't the only issue. Due to my wacky cyst surgery, I have one of those giant vertical incisions that they very often use as a reason not to do a VBAC.
I haven't given in or up yet, but I do want to be prepared. Tell me your cesarean experiences. Did you get to bf right afterwards. How long did it take you recover. Does this give me a better reason to ban my MIL from the recovery area? What kind of pain meds were used, and what after-effects did they have?
And can anyone tell me why the Spinning Baby leaning-on-my-elbows-with-my-butt-in-the-air thing hurts so damned much???? I wouldn't think one could actually do that "wrong", but apparently I've done it. We are also trying having baby listen to music and having dh try to reason with it. So far, it sits happily with its head under my ribcage.
Thanks.
#2 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 03:46 PM

is it possible to find a MW in your area to ask advice on turning the baby?? my midwife had a couple different pelvic rock/tilts to do.....i would love to try to explain them, but i had to have them shown to me....also MWs have some great ways of trying to turn the baby themselves. not that you need to have a homebirth, but maybe just a consult one???? JMO! anything to stop a CS
#3 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

My state (SD) doesn't license midwives or doulas. I do have an aquaintance who worked with one over the border in MN. She just went to her for support, the MW wasn't allowed to deliver the baby, but I know there is someone doing some covert midwifing over there somewhere. I'm thinking about emailing my aquaintance and getting a referral to this mystery midwife.

Honestly, I've had to do so many wacky things to get pregnant and keep this pregnancy that the whole c-section thing doesn't really bother me, but I would like to avoid any kind of surgery if I can. And the pregnancy ain't over yet. I just want to know what to expect if it comes down to that.

Aha! There are CNMWs in Fargo, ND- One of them is even a man. Curious about that. Maybe one of them would consult with me.

Aha #2! There's a chiropractor about 45 minutes from here who does the Webster thing!
#4 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 PM

they are out there...my state does not license MW either for homebirths. they can be CNMW that deliver in a hospital, but i have a CPMW which technically is not legal or illegal, but it's our choice. so they are out there if you look hard enough. i hope you are able to find the MW you are looking for and that she will be able to help you!!
#5 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 04:06 PM

My chiro is not webster certified, but did pelvic adjustments and my transverse baby (then at 31 weeks) turned within a day. Try it.
#6 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Another thing you may try is frozen peas where the baby's head is. They don't like the feeling of cold.

Beyond that you have to find out what type of incision was used on the uterus for your surgery (if any). External incisions may not make any difference. Mostly the way that the fibers of the uterine muscle were cut make the difference in the probability of rupture.

Good luck in getting whatever you want for this baby.
#7 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 05:15 PM

check out doulas and childbirth educators for help as well. They may know things you can try as well as people you can turn to for help (over or under the radar). Good luck!

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#8 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 05:23 PM

I've heard that getting into a pool and standing on your hands for as long as you can will sometimes work. Haven't tried it, myself!

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#9 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 05:30 PM

I had a c-section. To answer your questions:
1. I nursed ds in the recovery room.
2. I felt fine and was moving around like a "normal" person at 3 days post-op.
3. If your MIL irritates you, any reason is a good reason to ban her, IMO.
4. I had an epidural that was dosed up for the surgery, and morphine added into the epidural for post op pain relief. It is a proven fact that epidurals and anesthesia make it harder for babies to nurse. Usually this is exhibited in a dysfunctional suck, they sort of bite and bear down their gums instead of suck at first. It can take up to 24 hours for some babies to get the suck thing down. Some babies do just fine and have no effects at all from the anesthesia. Some have difficulty with suckling and/or are drowsy for 24 hours or so.

I had a great c-section, truth be told. My recovery was easy. Some women have a really hard time with c-sections. I did not. Mine was a breeze. Everybody (from the hospital nurses to the docs to the office nurses) commented on how well I did.

The best advice I can give you if you choose to go through with the surgery is to make sure you have plenty of support at home for after the birth, and make sure it's NOT your mil or anyone else who grates your nerves. My own mother was banned from my house the first week. Mean? Maybe. Necessary? Yes. I would have surely strangled her had she been around me for longer than 5 minutes that first week. : Also, stay hydrated, and if you can avoid iron in supplement form and instead get it in nutrient form, that will be MUCH better for your poor post-op bowels. Let me tell you the definition of hell....not having a bm for a week post op and then taking 30 minutes on the toilet to get your business done because everything is so backed up and sluggish in there. NOT pleasant.

Good luck, the only other baby-turning suggestion I have is to try accupuncture. Some people swear by it.
#10 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 10:35 PM

I had a c/s for my hypertension issues. Baby was almost 4wks early and once she was delivered, DH walked her to the well baby nursery for all the exams. DD was born at 8pm and I was finally moved to recovery at 9:30pm. I was wheeled to my room at 10:30pm. I had spinal anesthesia, where they just inject stuff to make you numb and this could be why I had to stay an hour in recovery. Anyway, the next day I felt great! I was up and walking aruond and had absolutely no need for any narcotics. If it goes well this time I may just push to leave the hospital sooner than later.
The c/s was truly the easiest surgery I have ever had. Go figure!
#11 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50ftQueenie View Post
Tell me your cesarean experiences. Did you get to bf right afterwards. How long did it take you recover. Does this give me a better reason to ban my MIL from the recovery area? What kind of pain meds were used, and what after-effects did they have?
C-section after long labor and pushing; waters had broken, meconium, etc. My baby's deal was that after all that, she was still at negative station.

Anyway, I hadn't had any meds for the labor; I honestly don't remember what they used for the surgery. Not a general. I was able to hold and nurse within an hour or so; dh was with her for all the initial recovery time. Had a great delivery nurse who called down to the nursery and was like, "where's this woman's baby? This is why she came here!"

The going home pain med was darvocet. The hospital med of choice was a combination of percocet and ibuprophin (because you can stagger them). In all, though, the pain wasn't that great. Best thing I did post delivery was get up and walk as much as possible. There was no problem with rooming in and no problem with co-sleeping; in fact, the nurses helped tuck dd in next to me. Less than a week post c/s (on Christmas Eve!) I went with dh to pick up the provisions for Christmas dinner. I was tired, but it was fine.

Best thing I did--though it was sort of accidental: my mom was there for the birth (two weeks before and after; dd was a little late). She was in full-on mothering mode--healthy snacks and big glasses of water appeared at my elbow; she did laundry and dishes; just smoothed things over so that I could concentrate on the baby and on my initial recovery.

Mom of two girls.
#12 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 PM

I'm in your boat as well (at 36 weeks).

I've tried Webster (have had 5 chiro sessions so far), acupuncture, flips in the pool, and inversion. No dice. Next week I have an external version scheduled (where they try to manually rotate the baby from the outside), which I'm not psyched about but it's better than having a c-section in my book.

I have to agree that the on-the-elbows position SUCKS. It's just not comfortable for me at all. Instead I do inversion on an ironing board at an angle, with my head on a pillow on the floor (it's always interesting getting on and off at this size!) for 20-30 minutes at a time a few times a day.

If I *have* to go the c-section route, I'll be getting a spinal, and already have reassurance from my MW that my hospital's policy is to allow breastfeeding right away and that I won't ever be in a different room than the baby (barring emergencies), however my hospital is pretty progressive so you should check with your care providers.

Good luck turning your baby!!!
#13 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 PM

You might try moxa sticks, people have had good success with them. Good luck!

Kens
#14 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 PM

I had a c-section after many hours of back labour. No epi either i might add. The hospital doesn't do them normally, even if you ask & have it in your birth plan like I did.

Anyhow, I had a spinal for the c-section. My mom went with my baby, while I was in recovery. I think for about 1 1/2 hrs.

Baby was very hungry when I got to her, and latched on & nursed. Bay stayed in the nursery, altho I could have had her room in if I liked. Glad I didn't though. I had a rough night. They did bring her in to nurse. I wasn't able to get her latched on by myself, and I couldn't always get a nurse in when I called. So she got fed sooner staying there than by me.

I had the catheter out & was allowed up in 24 hours. I couldn't move normally for over a week, though. 5 days later I could barely stand up & walk. I had an infection in the incision though.

It also takes longer sometimes for your milk to come in. I think it took 5 days for me. Have note put on the bassinet that says "no supplements" as they did give her a little formula once. (with a syringe or something, not a bottle, but I was still mad.) The nurses hassled me form the 2nd day on asking if my milk came in & fretting that baby was losing weight. They were upset with me for having problems nursing, I guess. Finally about day 4, a different nurse told me that was normal, and not to worry.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I did get to hold my baby while I went to recovery.

So, it was not fun, but I had a healthy happy baby, so it was all worth it. I'd do it again.

I also want to add that irl, I've encountered many women who've had c-sections, and no on had as rough a time as me.

I don't know if you're single or not. If you are, I recommend arranging for someone to stay with you the first few days at home. If not, see if your dp can take a week off work. (I think that would be good however you deliver, though!) You won't be able to drive right away, I forget how long. And no lifting anything heavier than baby for 6 weeks.

Oh, I also suggest, since you'll be in hospital for longer, to have friends/family bring in snacks & other food for you. Hospital food is gross. At one point a dietician came in to tell me how to eat, for nursing a baby. I wanted so much to tell her that I already knew all that, but please go tell whoever plans the hospital menu, cause obviously, they didn't know! I think I"d have starved if my friends didn't bring food.
#15 of 25 Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 AM

While it's not something I would easily choose, I had a c/s with DS1 and it was not a negative experience. The worst part of it was having been in labor for so long already and just being plain tired.

-I breastfed in the recovery area. I did have problems, some related to the c/s, some not.
-My recovery was easy as unplanned c/s go it seems. Days 1 and 2 were difficult. I stayed in bed, held my son and nursed and that's about it. The morphine pump was my friend. By day 3 I was up walking around. When I went home, I didn't really need my pain medicine and I was in pretty good shape overall.
-They gave me percocet for the pain. I scarcely used it. No effects on me (but from experience, this is just the way I am). May have made DS sleepier.
-I have virtually no scar.

If I really needed another c/s, I would be OK with that. However, I still prefer to VBAC this time. My main reasons being some of the extra bf difficulties I had and my desire for that birth I had dreamed of.

I can't help with the breech baby as I've not been there, but I HTH a little.

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn
#16 of 25 Old 05-18-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses. I thought a lot about it last night, and I've decided to quit worrying. This is dh's child afterall- so it will mostly take its sweet time turning, and probably do it at the last minute. I messed up my back again doing those exercises, so I'm going to stick to walking from now on. I also tried the light on the belly thing. It definately got a reaction from baby, so I'll try that again, too.
My biggest concern is that, since she wants to use the same vertical scar from my earlier surgery, if I have a c-section with this one, I'm going to be locked into that with any later baby. But ultimately, as a friend who has had 3 c-sections due to health reasons said, in the end you get your beautiful baby and it doesn't really matter how you got it.
I'm going to try to just wait the baby out. I've been doing this with its father for years now.
#17 of 25 Old 05-18-2007, 10:56 AM

My last baby didn't turn until 37 weeks, we didn't do anything special. Natural vaginal delivery at 42 weeks. Seemed the doctor was all in a panic about it but since she was so late in coming it seems she did just what she needed to.
#18 of 25 Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just wanted to chime in here and say thay my c-section was not that bad. I only took ibuprofen for the pain after surgery and was walking around the next day. The sooner you get up and walk, the better you will feel. That first step out of bed is ROUGH but it gets easy fast.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#19 of 25 Old 05-18-2007, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

All of your c-section stories sound similar to my recovery from the cyst surgery- the comment about the first step being the hardest. I spent 2 days on a morphine IV and then went to tylenol. The OB and the nurses said the same thing- if I can deal with that pain, I'm totally ready for any kind of labor. And this time, I get a baby and not a big groddy chunk of meat for my trouble.
Thank you all for your imput.
I think THE LITTLE MONKEY TURNED! I am very pleased, although with as much as this kid moves, it will probably turn back and forth another 100 times before delivery.
#20 of 25 Old 05-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Glad to hear the baby has likely turned! Having done both a c/s and a VBAC, I would never go for another c/s unless it was life and death! (Thankfully I have a wonderful m/w who would deliver breech if the situation presented itself.)

I hope you can avoid a c/s and have a wonderful birth!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#21 of 25 Old 05-18-2007, 05:22 PM

I had an emergency c/s due to pre-eclampsia and foetal distress. I was mixed about having it; my antenatal care was so bad (never saw same doc twice!) that I was happy it was just over. I'd been facing the prospect of scheduled CS because baby was still breech at 36 weeks and I'd decided that given the choice at my hospital I'd take the CS (the alternative was to be poked by a random midwife and a registrar who's barely learnt how to do breech deliveries, and end up with an emergency CS anyway.) I had 10 days between being told "oh, it's finally flipped" and being booked in after a bad checkup so I never really had time to process the change. Anyway.

They were unable to do CSE so I just had an epidural. That was all right, it hurt less than I expected. The surgery was pretty quick, I didn't watch and DH sat next to me. The anaesthetist was very nice; I remember discussing the upcoming series of ER that was just about to start here. DH got to hold the baby while they sewed me up, and then they gave her to me to hold. I got to BF her as soon as I was wheeled out of the surgical suite and into the recovery room. My hospital had a Baby Friendly certificate of commitment and while they absolutely fell down when things got complicated they had the basics right.

The worst part was that first night (DD was born at 20:00); DH went home and if I knew what was going to happen I would have made him stay! They made me stay in L&D (here you're transferred to a separate postnatal ward with the baby) because I wasn't passing any urine, but the midwives were so busy that I was left holding the baby, alone in a recovery room.

The first day or so was cr@ppy, I had the catheter left in for something like 20 hours which meant i was confined to bed. Painkillers--they gave me co-dydramol (Tylenol with codeine) and Diclofenac, and it was bearable. I did feel much better when they finally let me clean up. I had trouble with my incision, partly because I carry my weight in my stomach to begin with--pregnancy and delivery didn't really help there! The incision was basically in the worst place for me, and got irritated and had to be patched up with Surgi-Strips.

Definitely get help for the first couple of weeks--you will be able to move around within a few days, but not very far. I also got given iron tablets as I lost quite a lot of blood. The community midwife threatened me with suppositories and Lactulose (luckily I went a few hours after she said "if you haven't gone by tomorrow I'm going to stand here while you do it").

Yes, I will be opting for VBAC next time.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#22 of 25 Old 05-18-2007, 10:01 PM

-- I had a spinal and it hurt.
-- One of my legs was tingly for a long time and I had a spinal migraine for three weeks after the birth.
-- I couldn't take any meds for the migraine or the site pain because they make me too loopy and I sleep. I couldn't sleep and be a mom.
-- I didn't get to see the baby for something close to two hours post surgery
-- Getting up the next day was excruciating
-- BMs were SO painful for a while
-- My son was really out of it and reluctant to eat
-- Pain at the c/s site on the ride home was excruciating
-- I had site pain for a couple of years on one side of the scar.

That's my c/s story. Can you see why I wouldn't want another?!
I am going for a homebirth. If I HAVE to transfer, so-be-it. And while I am so against my having a c/s, if it ends up in the end being a necessity, I will deal with it and not be down on myself because I know I am doing EVERYTHING I can to not have a c/s!

That's all you can do. Try your best!

Oh! And keep your MIL out of the operating room and request she not be allowed into the recovery room. In fact, you should leave her in the waiting room when and if you're in labor if baby turns. We had asked that my parents be asked to come in when they arrived but no one bothered until we specifically asked. Perhaps you could just conspire with the nursing staff to just leave her in the waiting room. You deserve a stress free labor and delivery.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#23 of 25 Old 05-19-2007, 12:01 PM

I would recommend seeing that chiro ASAP! I have had 2 c/s and 2 different experiences. With dd it went very well...dr respected all my choices, second one was awful. If you want to know more you can pm me!

You baby will turn and a vaginal birth will happen!
#24 of 25 Old 05-20-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50ftQueenie View Post

Aha! There are CNMWs in Fargo, ND- One of them is even a man. Curious about that. Maybe one of them would consult with me.
FYI, not too long ago he was writing letters to newspapers attacking midwives who do homebirths, and in support of making it illegal to attend a birth if you're not a CNM (or doctor of course). I wouldn't see him if I were you!
#25 of 25 Old 05-20-2007, 04:22 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page