Friable Cervix? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had a friable cervix in preg? If so did the do anything to change your preg, like softening too soon, or having to bedrest or such??

Thank you,
Krista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 PM

My MW told me at my first prenatal visit with my DD that I had a friable cervix. She didn't really explain what that meant, but I had no problems at all with my cervix throughout my pregnancy and no one mentioned it again. The MW I am seeing for this pregnancy didn't say anything about it. Now you've got me curious, though....
#3 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 PM

I had some bleeding after intercourse in my last 3 pregnancies but no preterm labor or bedrest. One was 1 day early and the other 2 were late
Last pg I went to see an OB and he applied silver nitrate - no problems after that.
Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#4 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 11:02 PM

I don't have a friable cervix, but what a term! Just because it's a little sensitive? Has any other DR told you that before? If someone said that to me I would wonder if maybe they shouldn't work on their technique. Was the silver nitrate to keep you from bleeding after sex? I wish they would just leave our cervixes (i'm actually not sure how to make that plural) alone! I had an abnormal papsmear(this was before I got pregnant) and instead of just doing another one to make sure, they did a cone biopsy at the same time. My gut told me I should have just asked for another papsmear, and I was right-since there was nothing there!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#5 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 PM

I don't know about the OP but significant bleeding with regular intercourse on a few occasions. This last time I had blood running down my legs which sent me to the ER and I am a homebirther! I wanted the silver nitrate, I certainly didn't want another scare. Friable is just a medical term, one should not take offense.
If my OB (MWs back-up) even touched my cervix during examination it would bleed.
Oh and nobody messed up my cervix, it's just something that happens.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#6 of 6 Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info,
Yeah, I'm super glad my midwife showed me my cervix in my last pap, I'd never seen a friable cervix before and glad to know what it was and have her show me.

It's puts some info together, for I used to bleed everytime I used a cervical cap and just thought the cap was too tight. And now have bleeding after intercourse which she warned I probably would.

Glad to see no more problems. Mine is "friable" only on the tip and I didn't know if that would increase as the cervix became soft and open in pregnancy?
I was assuming the tissues being so soft and senstive would be more thin and stretchy, but now I'm thinking maybe not?

I think why they say friable it's not just because it's more senstive, it actually is pretty bloody, with more mucus. The tissues look a bit soft and red. But, it's not a sign of a problem like it you were to see cervicitus.

User Tag List