Did stripping membranes "work" for anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife just did it, with my permission and I'm just impatient and wondering if anyone had it work for them. She didn't seem to think that it would do anything, just that there was a SLIGHT possibility that it would. My original due date was the 17th of last month so we're hoping to move things along...
#2 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM

I had it done 2ce with my last one, at 39 wks 4 days, again at 40 wks 4days. Needless to say it did cause some cx, tons of bad cramping soreness, but I got induced at 41 1/2 weeks. I tried DTD, EPO, walked a ton, etc, but nothing worked. Now when I got induced if you call it that, I didn't have any pitocin, just cervadil the gel and that's all I needed. I went from 1cm to 10cm in 4 hours, and he started coming out on his own. SO, my body was ready it just needed a lil' jumpstart. I was very reluctant on getting induced, but I'm glad I did. When my water broke at the hospital, the nurse said the fluid was low and meconium stained. She said both prolly from being overdue.

Hang in there. Your baby will come when he/she's ready.

However, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't get my membranes stripped. It was very uncomfortable afterwards and obviously didn't work. Hopefully though it works for you. They say you'll know in the 1st 48 hours
#3 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 01:03 PM

it worked for my 2nd.. she stripped me at my appt at a bout 2 pm... i went into labor 10ish had a wicked intense 2 hr labor and baby came without midwife there. If given the option again I probably wouldn;t.. I liked the nice 6 hr labor much better.
#4 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 01:49 PM

I went into labor exactly 3 days after each membrane stripping.
#5 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM

I had a very long early labor, the midwife broke my water and it did absolutely nothing to get things moving. Still ended up transferring to hospital for pit and epidural, and delivery nearly 11 hours after having my water broken (72 or so hours after starting with the first contractions)
#6 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 PM

Not for me...

I was soo uncomfortable by the time I was 40wks bc dd was so low and posterier (coudn't get her to turn) that my MW brought it up with me...I was already about 4cm and 80ish% so I said sure....I'm halfway there already and it's been pretty painless cept for the backpain..

So she did it and a few hours later I had a few ctx but that was it....

We did it again, twice, the following week with the same results..

Finally at 42w3d we did it and then did it again the next day...

Nada...nothing...

I was induced 3 days later.....and dd still didnt wanna come out....she broke my water and even though the rest of labor was a bit slower than expected she arrived...all 9lbs of her......she's just as stubborn today at 3....

Baby will come in time....
#7 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 02:54 PM

I had my membranes stripped with my first two and had a baby in my arms within 36 hours both times.
Wendi
#8 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It worked for me. Had it done around 4ish pm and was in obvious labor within the hour. DS was born about 29 hours later. I think my body was right on the edge of going into labor, but ds's head was not well applied, so it caused a long stall(about 9 hours with putsy contx, and no dilation).

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#9 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 03:47 PM

Yes, it worked for me. I had it done on a Monday afternoon and went into labor at 3am on Wednesday.
#10 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 10:17 PM

Well, kinda.

Had it done three times in 48 hours (impending OB visit made me antsy). After the third one (!) I finally started labor but it was a sloooooow lazy kind of deal. So we broke my water : Seems to me that membrane stripping is Just Like Every Other Induction Method.

Works when you're going to go into labor anyways.
#11 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 10:19 PM

After 1.5 weeks of prodromal labor, the MW stripped my membranes. I didn't even feel it, but I did start feeling strong cramps by the time I was walking out of her office. The cramps were regular contractions by a few hours later and DS was born the next morning. Don't really know if the membrane stripping really did anything. My body had been trying to go into labor for a while and I think regardless, DS would have been born really soon.
#12 of 17 Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_s View Post
My midwife just did it, with my permission and I'm just impatient and wondering if anyone had it work for them. She didn't seem to think that it would do anything, just that there was a SLIGHT possibility that it would. My original due date was the 17th of last month so we're hoping to move things along...
Worked here.
#13 of 17 Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM

Did not work for me, I know of several women that it did work for.
#14 of 17 Old 06-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, OP, anything happening?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#15 of 17 Old 06-04-2007, 01:11 PM

It didn't work for me or my sister, but I also know of women who it did work for. The only thing that ever really worked for getting me started into labor was nipple stimulation, and only with my first.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#16 of 17 Old 06-04-2007, 03:39 PM

I had it done at 4 days overdue, a monday at 4pm. I gave birth the next day at 3:09pm. I totally think it is what set me into real labor.

T

Tara - Mother to Curtis 12/04 and Clark 11/07
#17 of 17 Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing happening!! I had a doc's appt. today to check things just to make sure everything was fine, which of course it was. The doctor actually used the word "huge" to describe the baby in the ultrasound heheh. Now it's just more waiting. Nipple stim doesn't do anything for me, I have not been making milk for quite some time, but my almost 20 month old is still very booby greedy and I've been encouraging him to nurse as much as he wants but it never starts anything. Thanks for all the responses!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page