swimming in chlorine while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2007, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

Our community pool opens tomorrow, and we're thinking of taking the kids swimming. Should I stay out of the pool, which I assume contains chlorine and other chemicals? Have you/do you plan to swim while pregnant?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Are you worried about it reaching the baby? Your amniotic sac will keep any chemicals from getting to the baby from the water going up anything. If it really concerns you shower after swimming. It has actually been ordered for me to do some type of swimming during my pregnancy and I haven't had any problems with chlorine. I have been swimming in a pool, the ocean and the lake so far this pregnancy. DD I went to the lake constantly.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:53 PM

i haven't really thoguth of that, but i don't think it would stop me from swimming. if you have town water there is chlorine in that and you take showers in it....we have well water at home so i haven't really had to think about it! i would still go swimming....but that's me, i can't stand the heat, and the only thing that helps is to be in water...LOL
Old 06-08-2007, 02:47 PM

I've been swimming in a chlorinated pool at least weekly, usually twice a week, throughout my pregnancy. I am not worried about it. My midwife encourages it. I believe that the benefits of swimming grossly out weigh the potential risks. Swimming makes my body feel so well in a way that no other exercise does.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:00 PM

Chlorine pools are pretty toxic.
You know that horrible smell at the public pool? That "Chlorine Smell"?

That is actually the smell of other chemicals- when chlorine reacts with organic matter in a swimming pool, such as sweat or urine, a mixture of potentially harmful chemicals result, many of which are on the "Dirty Dozen" list of most harmful chemicals you can ingest.

So when you are at a pool that smells really strongly, it means that there is a lot of "Organic Matter" in the pool that is reacting with the chlorine. Pools that are cleaned regularly and have the correct amount of chlorine in them shouldn't smell as strongly as the pools that don't*Shudder*

There have been a number of studies done in Europe that are connecting child Asthma with breathing these chemicals in. When the chemicals are breathed in they create something called "Lung Proteins", the same thing that Cigarette smokers get in their lungs! The studies found that kids who swim regularly often have Lung Protein levels similar to that of a daily Cigarette smoker!

All of these risk are much greater at an indoor pool. The people sitting near a pool are breathing in almost the same amount of chemicals as the people in the pool. The more fans and ventilation at an indoor pool the better.

All that being said, I don't think going swimming a few times in a chlorine pool while you are pregnant is dangerous, but if you are planning on doing it on regular basis I would definitely research it. I personally am planning to use the Saline Pool at the gym as much as possible during my pregnancy, but I know that I will be taking DS to the public pool at least a few times this summer. But we are going to do outdoor pools only.

And of course shower afterwards...you just got out of a community bath!!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:08 PM

I'm not crazy about swimming in chlorine even when I'm not pregnant. It just doesn't feel right to me. I don't know enough about the chemicals to know if it's ok. My husband is a chemist & won't go near chlorinated pools. Luckily, we have a lot of clean rivers around. We're going this weekend & I can't wait. I'm hoping it helps with my swelling.

It probably won't hurt if you don't go all the time. I went occasionally in my first two pregnancies and they're both fine.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 06-08-2007, 04:31 PM

I have been swimming in an indoor pool throughout this past winter and spring while pregnant. I've heard that outdoor pools are better because it allows the chlorine and chemicals to rise and be blown away vs. keeping them all under the roof that you breathe in. But it a cold climate, you have no choice if you swim.

After I swim, my skin smells like chlorine for a full day afterwards, even after showering. That makes me wonder how bad it is. We filter chlorine out of drinking water, but then I immerse myself in it...

On a different note, I would NOT swim in Lake Michigan while pregnant. It is nasty and filled with bacteria for sure.

I would like to teach my baby/child to get in the water at an early age so there is no fear, so I guess we have to take our chances either way with swimming.

User Tag List