Heartbeat at how many weeks???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies... my SIL is 8 weeks pregnant and TOTALLY freaked out!!! Her OB has already performed a sonogram (don't know why so early) and has said she is very worried that she can't hear the babies heartbeat... she has ordered my SIL for some "special" sonogram,but the poor thing is out of her mind because of what the Dr. has already said.

Isn't 8 weeks a little early to hear the heartbeat????? Let alone to get a sonogram!!!! MY SIL will be traveling over seas for the next 10 weeks and my only guess is that the doc wanted to get it done early for some reason.

Anyway, I reasured her that 8 weeks is too, too early to hear a heart beat and that she needs a new doc... what do you say.
Nancy
#2 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 02:07 AM

Here's a link that I looked up pretty quickly. I haven't checked the bg on it, but it seems accurate:
http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,9851,00.html
#3 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 02:08 AM

I'm pretty sure you can usually see the heartbeat @ 8 weeks w/ a sonogram. I keep hearing that it is becoming more and more common for practitioners to order 2 u/s. One @ the beginning of the preg. and one @ 20 weeks.

I hope it turns out to be a false alarm for your SIL.

Heather, mama to          
#4 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 02:29 AM

I had an early u/s (6 weeks) in order to date the pregnancy. I ovulated oddly, and didn't want it dated from my last period. That would've given me an EDD nearly 20 days earlier than what's correct, and I didn't want to risk induction because I appeared "overdue."

We did hear the heartbeat, but from what I've heard, it's fairly normal to not find it from 6-8 wks. I'm hoping for the best for your SIL.
#5 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 02:44 AM

You can usually hear a heartbeat using the doppler at about 9-10 weeks depending upon the woman. Transvaginal ultrasound can usually visualize a heartbeat by about 6 weeks.
#6 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 07:39 AM
SSM

No heartbeat with vaginal U/S would definitely worry me at 8 weeks. I'd certainly follow up with the second sonogram if she's going to be travelling out of country.
#7 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 02:43 PM

I had an early u/s with both my pregnancies for dating purposes. With my son, "early" was 8 weeks, and we say a heartbeat and a bouncing little baby-thing, so in the absence of either of those I'd worry. On the other hand, with this baby the early u/s was at 5.5 weeks, and we didn't see anything but a sac and a yolk and there was much worrying and tearing of hair and beating of chests, since apparently we should have seen a more developed fetus. But we heard a heartbeat last week, so all appears to be OK.

Babies do develop differently, and her dates can be off. But yeah, I'd go to the second ultrasound and find out what is up before going out of town long term.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#8 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 02:48 PM

I had a heartbeat via transvaginal u/s at 5 weeks 6 days. I hope things are ok for your SIL.
#9 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 02:50 PM

Is she sure on her dates? Is she really 8 weeks? If so, no heartbeat visible on u/s at 8 weeks would worry me, too. I heard and saw a heartbeat on transvag u/s at 7 weeks. I'm hoping for the best for your SIL!
#10 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 06:41 PM

By 8 weeks there should be a HB with a sonogram/ultrasound. You can here a HB with doppler by then but it takes a bit of patience.
#11 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 07:13 PM

Hmm I always heard and saw my babies HB's at 7wks, with both pregnancies. They should be able to SEE the HB though, on the sonogram. Hope all goes well for her!

#12 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM

your sil's OB is right to be concerned....you can normally see a hb on ultrasound by 6.5 weeks. At 8 weeks, the only reason there would be no hb is if...well..there was no heart beating. You might want to consider apologizing/gently explaining that you were initially incorrect in the information you gave her, and wish her the best/pray for her/whatever you believe in. Because....unfortunately, there *IS* significant cause for worry here. (read the article Stephig provides a link to for more info) I'll hold out hope/prayer that maybe her dating is wrong and she isn't 8 weeks.....

CPST
#13 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 PM

I had an u/s at 7w3d and we heard the heartbeat, 160bpm. It was such a relief to hear it honestly.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#14 of 20 Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 PM

8 weeks is a little early to hear the heartbeat on doppler, but as others have mentioned, an ultrasound should show a beating heart at that point. It is not completely clear from your initial post, but I hope you meant that the doc just couldn't hear the hb with doppler. Best wishes to your SIL.
#15 of 20 Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 PM

any updates? thinking hopeful thoughts!
#16 of 20 Old 06-13-2007, 12:02 AM

I wouldn't stress too much over it. I had u/s done at 7wks and again at 9wks b/c of bleeding this pregnancy. We saw the HB both times but didn't hear it. After that they had me go at 10wks and again every two weeks for checkups to try to hear the heartbeat. Nothing. They said sometimes its hard to hear the hb with a doppler before 12-14wks b/c of the baby's position. At 16wks we still hadn't heard the HB so they did another u/s the baby was fine but was trying to hide when they checked on him. That's why we didn't hear the HB. We finally heard it at the next appt at 17wks. I was worried sick! Now I'm 39wks and he's healthy as can be although he's still not coming out yet!!!
#17 of 20 Old 06-13-2007, 12:25 PM

I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks, and the heartbeat could be heard through the vaginal ultrasound at that time. Amazing, huh?
#18 of 20 Old 06-13-2007, 05:03 PM

I heard and saw my baby's heartbeat at exactly 7 weeks 3 days via transvaginal ultrasound.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#19 of 20 Old 06-15-2007, 06:10 PM

updates? hope shes doing ok

#20 of 20 Old 06-15-2007, 09:29 PM

i also had an early u/s (at 8.5 weeks) and a heartbeat was visible...

sending good thoughts to your SIL.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page