circ? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2007, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are having a boy at the end of Sept. I will admit I knew nothing of it until I started reading the Anti circ board here on MDC. I never understood the big deal.
Then I started readng.
Holy cow-what an eye opener!

When I mentioned this to DH, he said b/c he was, he wanted our son to also be circ'd.
I flipped out-mainlyafter seeing a graphic circ video. I mean Mama bear came out growling!

I spoke to our GP,read everything I could find, talked more to DH.
Finally I printed off all the info and even hilighted it for DH.Made an apptfor him to talk about it with our GP.

FINALLY last week, after reading and talking to the GP,DH finally agreed not to do it. All his reasons why it was necessary were shot down easily and especially the cleanliness issue!

So no, "Nemo" won't be cut. His body-his choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 AM

I would never allow someone to operate on a baby for purely cosmetic reasons. My general rule for body parts is: "If it is healthy leave it alone". With all of the outrage about female circ, I'm surprised even more people aren't questioning routine males circumcision.

''''

Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 AM

No, I would never cut off part of my baby's genitalia. All my kids (girl and boys) are intact.

I am glad that information is available now and more parents are seeking it out and a result not consenting to this unnecessary surgery!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 06-13-2007, 01:38 AM

I did not circ - it never occurred to me that it was something I should do. My mom did not circ my brother back in 1982 because she thought it was barbaric. I feel the same way.

Many insurance plans do not cover it anymore because it is considered "cosmetic."

love.gif

Old 06-13-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Mama View Post
We are having a boy at the end of Sept. I will admit I knew nothing of it until I started reading the Anti circ board here on MDC. I never understood the big deal.
Then I started readng.
Holy cow-what an eye opener!

When I mentioned this to DH, he said b/c he was, he wanted our son to also be circ'd.

<....>

FINALLY last week, after reading and talking to the GP,DH finally agreed not to do it. All his reasons why it was necessary were shot down easily and especially the cleanliness issue!

So no, "Nemo" won't be cut. His body-his choice.
That's basically my story too; though I hadn't found MDC before DS1 so I probably would've circ'd if DD had been a boy.
I am SO thankful that she wasn't!

I used to be fairly adamant that any son of mine would be circ'd, but now? Over my cold dead body...and I would come back and haunt whoever did it for the rest of their lives!!

Seriously.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshua View Post

Circumcision in america is not how the religious starts intended it to be. And some religions such as Christianity actually forbid the act because Jesus came to remove the blood sacrifices and put them on his shoulders.

Is that true?!? I am not Christian, so I don't know a whole lot about the "rules." What I know about is circ for Jews in the old testament, because of dh. But I know a TON of Christians who do circumcise, I thought they felt like they were supposed to. Where is that part about about blood sacrifices? Is circ even considered a "blood sacrifice," it's a covenant with God for Jews, isn't that something different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Not circumcising is still very rare amongst Jews. It's probably the most followed tradition there is.
I know that this is true, but in the states something called a bris shalom, is gaining a little popularity. They do ceremonial things, sometimes apparently even "cut" something(not flesh) symbolically. But dh said almost the same thing when as the AP when we started talking about circ. Part of it for him was also an exclusion factor, that circ separates you from non-jews. I know that he is not in favor of non-religious circ at all. I'd think most other Jews feel the same way.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
Is that true?!? I am not Christian, so I don't know a whole lot about the "rules." What I know about is circ for Jews in the old testament, because of dh. But I know a TON of Christians who do circumcise, I thought they felt like they were supposed to. Where is that part about about blood sacrifices? Is circ even considered a "blood sacrifice," it's a covenant with God for Jews, isn't that something different?
The New Testament is very clear that Christians do *not* need to circumcise. In fact, the way I interpret it (seems pretty darn clear to me at least), Christians are forbidden from circumcising for religious reasons. However, if you want to talk about this more, you should post in Religious Studies You'll get a lot of good answers there! In fact, there might already be a thread or two about Christians and circumcision... I'm pretty sure I posted on at least one at some point or other.

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :

User Tag List