circ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are you going to circ? what are your thoughts?

Trying to with SO my dd3 my ds 2 dss 7 dss 8 and 2 chinese creasted's
#2 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 PM

I would never circ. I think it's barbaric and should be outlawed.

-Angela
#3 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I would never circ. I think it's barbaric and should be outlawed.

-Angela
:

Please visit MDC's The Case Against Circumcision forum.
#4 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 PM

Should this baby be a boy, it will be my fourth and my FIRST that will not be circ'ed. I feel very strongly about that. We didn't want the last boy circ'ed but did it anyway due to major bullying we weren't prepared for and I wish I could take all of them back. My poor babies! We're prepared this time.

My husband who is circ'ed is totally supportive of not circ'ing.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#5 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 PM

I would not cut off any of my loved ones' body parts, nor would I subject my worst enemy to such torture. It's hard to imagine that such a practice is still legal.
#6 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 PM

Absolutely not. It's horrific and completely unnecessary. This thread will likely be moved to The Case Against Circumcision forum that gottaknit posted, and that is a VERY informative forum.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#7 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 PM

no, I do not plan to mutilate my child.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#8 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 PM

I circ'd my boys and regret it more than I could ever imagine. If I were to have anymore kids, there is no way I would circ.

You can PM me if you have questions about my circ experience.

I second the recommendation for Case Against Circumcision. They have a lot of passionate people on there about the topic. There is also a sticky at the top where mamas have posted about regretting circs and why they regret the decision.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#9 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 PM

Absolutely not. It's a horrible, horrible practice.
#10 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 PM

If this baby is a boy, he will join his two older brothers in remaining intact.

I didn't always think that way. Up until a year before I gave birth to my older son I had assumed I would circ my children. Then I learned more about how unnecessary and harmful the practice is.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#11 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 PM

Absolutely not. I would never mutilate my child's genitals.

And even before I had kids, and before I was crunchy, like in my early 20s, I always thought, People don't circ their daughters; why do they circ their sons?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#12 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 PM

no i would never want any of my children mutilated

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#13 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 09:20 PM

No, not going to circ'. Why would I do that? If he's born with it, it must serve a purpose is my reasoning.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#14 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 PM

Nope. I'm not into hacking off body parts of babies for no reason.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#15 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 09:31 PM

I'm surprised this discussion is even being permitted here. Isn't it against the UA to even mention the very idea that one might be considering circing? I thought they were quite firm on that stance here.
#16 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 09:58 PM

I can't even believe that circumcision is legal in this day and age. View the video link in my siggy.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#17 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
I'm surprised this discussion is even being permitted here. Isn't it against the UA to even mention the very idea that one might be considering circing? I thought they were quite firm on that stance here.
Asking for information and opinions is OK, but no one is allowed to ever argue in favor of routine infant circumcision, because there aren't any benefits.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#18 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 PM

Nope....wouldn't mutilate my DD, why would I mutilate a DS?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#19 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 PM

I would never consider circumcising a child. My dh is intact (not circumcised) and is very happy and thankful that his parents left the decision up to him. My FIL is circumcised and my dh is truly grateful that FIL didn't unduly pressure MIL to have dh circumcised as a baby. I'm glad too since I have no complaints although I have nothing to compare to either

Please come and visit us at the CAC forum if you have any specific questions! You can also feel free to PM any of us that have no-circ signs in our signatures

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#20 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 PM

Think of it this way: you'll be cutting off a piece of his body WITHOUT his consent. I will not be cutting off any of my children's body parts. If I have sons who choose to be circed I will try to persuade them to stay intact but ultimately it is his body, his choice. Not mine.
#21 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
Asking for information and opinions is OK, but no one is allowed to ever argue in favor of routine infant circumcision, because there aren't any benefits.
So, basically, it's okay to ask the OP's question, but anybody that answers "yes" to it is going to get in trouble?

(Just curious, not trying to start anything.)
#22 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaKat View Post
So, basically, it's okay to ask the OP's question, but anybody that answers "yes" to it is going to get in trouble?

(Just curious, not trying to start anything.)
Yeah, basically. Doesn't make much sense.

But anyway -- hell no. It's incredibly cruel and torturous, and to subject a human being to such terrific pain is downright disgusting.
#23 of 67 Old 06-11-2007, 11:42 PM

No. DH doesn't know this yet, but no. I'm pretty sure he is unaware of the debate, as many people are. I'm pretty sure it's a boy, so this discussion is coming.

I'm so glad DD was a girl bc I was ignorant on the subject when she was born. MDC has taught me a lot.
#24 of 67 Old 06-12-2007, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Since my first baby was born nearly 16 yrs ago, I always had the same thought a few posters have shared already. I said, "I would never slice off my daughter's labia, why on earth would I slice off my son's penis tip?" And that explains it for me.

There will come a day that the barbaric practice is outlawed. And that day can't come too soon !

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#25 of 67 Old 06-12-2007, 02:33 AM

If our baby is a boy, we intend to leave him intact, after all, babies are born that way. I think it's wrong to do otherwise.

It should be easy for me then, right? But I do have some slight guilt issues, though I know it might sound strange. My husband is a Jew, and to him circumcision is an important part of his culture. It is their covenant with god and he wanted to pass that along to his sons. We were not going to have anymore children after dd, because we both felt so strongly opposite about it. But he decided after some time that since it was so important to me, we would not circumcise if we had a male child, so long as I would not try to dissuade that child from making the decision to be circumcised if he chose to do so when he became older, to be in accordance with Judaism.(which seems more than fair to me)

I love my husband. He is ultra-supportive about all my ideas about birthing and parenting, and this was the one thing that was really important to him. I feel like I took something away from him. I feel like I took a part of his culture, his past, and who he is away from him. And this feels a little wrong too.

I think personally think it's not okay to circumcise, or in any way mutilate someone with out their consent. I mean, I don't even think it's right to pierce babies ears! But I also think it's slippery slope to be intolerant, or judgemental of other's religious or cultural practices if they don't fit in your moral paradigm.

So I hope you understand when I say, I will breath a big sigh of relief if this one is another girl...

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#26 of 67 Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 AM

Nope. Dh is circ'd and trying to restore his foreskin. He hates that his parents did that to him.

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#27 of 67 Old 06-12-2007, 07:52 AM

no way!

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#28 of 67 Old 06-12-2007, 08:10 AM

wait-- but what are the *reasons*, other than "it's barbaric"? i'm honestly asking for information. Particularly, what are the reasons that are strong enough to override millenia-old cultural and religious beliefs (see Jewish Covenant With God)?

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!
#29 of 67 Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 AM

I circed my 6 yr old Ds due to iggnorrance I was convinced that he would have chronic infections if left intact and he would be made fun of- so sad hose were my reasons but I was young and misinformed- My ds has also had problems w/ the skin growing onto his penis

Will I circ again NO I am well infrmed now and just cannot see torturing my child- if my child wants it done later in life it can still be done but you can never put foreskin back! My DH is not to happy about my no circ desicion but he will get over it! He just worried about the boys looking differnt when naked!

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#30 of 67 Old 06-12-2007, 09:16 AM

Somewhere on this forum I read some posts by one or more Jewish mom's who decided not to circ. Maybe someone can point you to those posts?

Up here, it is no longer (?) routine practice to circ. And I come from Europe anyway where this is just not done. The idea never occurred to me before I came to this forum and then I was so shocked. First chance, I asked my midwife whether or not the hospital would try something like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page