Yeast infection in late pregnancy - remedies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 40wks, 5days pregnant and have a yeast infection - has anyone else had one in pregnancy or late pregnancy, and what remedies have you used to clear it up?

My mw told me to use the one day monis*tat treatment, but is this really safe in late pregnancy?

Thanks for any help, mamas!

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#2 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 12:47 PM

I would recommend a clove of garlic inside the vagina, overnight if you prefer because you will taste it in the back of your mouth. One or two nights should clear it right up. I was skeptical about doing this when I first heard about it, but I finally gave it a try, and it worked better than any over the counter or prescription crap medication ever did!
#3 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 01:47 PM

interestingly I am "newly" pregnant and have an infection and my midwife told me that they have found monistat is a bit harsh for pregnancy and prefer that women use Gyne-Lotrimin which uses the active ingredient of Clotrimazole I believe. I am actually going in today so I'll let you know if I learn anything new.

Maria
#4 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganHeathen View Post
I would recommend a clove of garlic inside the vagina, overnight if you prefer because you will taste it in the back of your mouth. One or two nights should clear it right up. I was skeptical about doing this when I first heard about it, but I finally gave it a try, and it worked better than any over the counter or prescription crap medication ever did!
I'm almost 39 weeks and that's what I'm doing... plus putting 4-5 acidophilus/bifidus capsules up there at various times during the day (one at a time - 4-5 times a day). I've had yeast issues this whole second half of the pregnancy, though it's definitely preferable to the UTI and kidney infection issues I had with dd :

My other problem is that all I want to eat is fruit... ALL... and it's sorta kinda been on sale lately too so cutting back on sugar hasn't really worked all that well for me. I wouldn't be eating much of anything during the day (for snacks) if I cut out fruit

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#5 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetplaya View Post
I'm almost 39 weeks and that's what I'm doing... plus putting 4-5 acidophilus/bifidus capsules up there at various times during the day (one at a time - 4-5 times a day). I've had yeast issues this whole second half of the pregnancy, though it's definitely preferable to the UTI and kidney infection issues I had with dd :

My other problem is that all I want to eat is fruit... ALL... and it's sorta kinda been on sale lately too so cutting back on sugar hasn't really worked all that well for me. I wouldn't be eating much of anything during the day (for snacks) if I cut out fruit

love and peace.
You and I sound a lot alike. I take probiotics as well, although I have not found it to help the yeast problem during pregnancy. Before trying garlic I tried putting the probiotic capsules inside. It would work sort of...then the itchiness would come back. Yes I agree it's much better than dealing with UTIs!

All I have been craving throughout the entire pregnancy is fruit! And I know when you are battling yeast you are supposed to avoid fruit and juices, but I feel like that would be wrong. Fruit is so healthy for your body and the baby, so I don't want to give it up.
#6 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 PM

I don't think it will cure your problem, but drinking kefir daily might help to manage it, or keep other yeast infections at bay after you treat it with garlic or another remedy. I used to get 1-2 yeast infections every month and haven't had any since I started drinking kefir daily about four months ago.

I wish you a speedy recovery!
#7 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Tea Tree Oil Vaginal Suppositories & Oral Probiotics.
#8 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the great suggestions!!! I didn't feel comfortable using monistat and am really grateful for the natural things you suggested!

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#9 of 15 Old 06-21-2007, 11:30 PM

I had a yeast infection at 39 weeks too, I used plain yogurt (externally) and cut out all sugars and it was gone by the big day. Good luck

Jessie. Mama to bikenew.gif(7) : broc1.gif(4) and : toddler.gif22 mo 

#10 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 12:09 AM

I am super prone to YIs during pregnancy, and natural remedies have never done jack for me. Believe me, I have tried them ALL and been diligent about them.

In the end, I always end up pulling out the big guns and going with the Monistat. It clears it up.
#11 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvybabygrace View Post
I'm 40wks, 5days pregnant and have a yeast infection - has anyone else had one in pregnancy or late pregnancy, and what remedies have you used to clear it up?

My mw told me to use the one day monis*tat treatment, but is this really safe in late pregnancy?

Thanks for any help, mamas!
Monistat is safer than the yeast infection if it gets bad. That kind of infection can bring on early (dysfunctional) labor. I ended up in the ER on flagyl from one once, during the pg with ds1.

Grapefruit seed oil, taken orally can work too. It's great for thrush. If I feel a yeast infection coming on I take it right away. If it doesn't work soon I get the one day Monistat. If you are already itching badly, go for the Monistat. In the time it takes to go to the store to buy the stuff can be all it takes to go from kinda itchy to I-want-to-kill-myself itchy. I don't even mess with that three day stuff.

Kiley
#12 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbets View Post
I am super prone to YIs during pregnancy, and natural remedies have never done jack for me. Believe me, I have tried them ALL and been diligent about them.

In the end, I always end up pulling out the big guns and going with the Monistat. It clears it up.
You sound like me. I use a lot of natural remedies for things, but with yeast I just get too sick too fast. I don't get many yeast infections, but when I do, they are nasty, and they are f.a.s.t. I've learned that once the itching starts, I make a mad dash to the nearest pharmacy and usually end up using the stuff in the bathroom at the pharmacy because I'm out of my mind with pain and itching by the time I get there. Yowza
#13 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Woo hoo - symptoms all cleared up! Thanks for all the help, ladies!

#14 of 15 Old 06-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Yay! Glad to hear it! So what worked for you?
#15 of 15 Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvybabygrace View Post
Woo hoo - symptoms all cleared up! Thanks for all the help, ladies!
So did you use the garlic or something? I have one right now, woke up feeling really itchy, and I have no money to go get the cream(I would totally do it because I am sooo uncomfortable). I am going to go for it, but was just curious what worked for you.

I also have TTO, I squirted some up there, and it made my external itching way worse. It didn't hurt or anything, and the itching is sort of ok right now...is it ok to use tto and garlic at the same time? LOL

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page