Plus size pregnancy new thread #3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 109 Old 06-28-2003, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started a new thread cause the other was getting a bit long

Amy LMAO, I am high risk because of ummm lets see.
I am 35, fat, had a huge blod clot in my leg last pG, and have had previous preterm birth. Gaining height would be way cool, though my dh prolly wouldnt like it LOL.
#2 of 109 Old 06-29-2003, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had lost weight, and then I gained it back last year. My dh was happy to see that my butt and chest had filled out some more. LOL
#3 of 109 Old 06-29-2003, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just writing to get myself added to the notify list

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#4 of 109 Old 06-29-2003, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

My fricken fracken antibiotics never showed up!!! I think I may have a yeast infection. Well I have some kind of vaginitis. I am calling first thing in the morning. I have only been using the yeast meds since last night. Does anyone know how long these take to work? Anyways I am so miserable, and so ticked off at my pharmacy for not getting the abx to me. Okay sunday morning vent over!
#5 of 109 Old 06-29-2003, 06:19 PM

I was having yeast problems and my midwives said that it took 7 days for them to work... even the 1 day ones... thats for the creams and such though. Dunno about the pill ones if you're taking that though.

Good luck getting everything all taken care of! I know that the moment I finished taking meds for the vaginitis I had, I popped up with a yeast infection. SO annoying to take one medication and have it pop up another problem!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#6 of 109 Old 06-29-2003, 07:30 PM

Hey ladies!

I lurked a little on the last couple threads you had going but never had time to add myself to your list. Due 12-27-03 with God willing baby #2. Had a loss to ectopic in between. I am in my 14th week.

I gained around 35 lbs with ds. I have so far gained 2 lbs between 8 week appt and 12 week appt, and while my home scale is never really right, according to it, I have not gained in the past 2 weeks. Which is good, because I am already feeling very tired and heavy, and I started about 5 lbs over pre-pg weight.

Baby had hiccups this week, for t he first time. It was thrilling. Movement is still vague feeling, but I feel it.

Summer time question for other mothers of size...what do you do under skirts? I am a skirt wearer (never like shorts anyway, and now for religious reasons I wear long skirts mostly), and one thing I don't get about, for example, the Lane Bryant store, is the complete lack of anti-chafing undergarments. None at maternity stores, either. WHERE are the breathable little split skirts for wear under long cotton skirts? To the knees, I mean, you know?

I have bloomers that I like to wear, but they are cotton and a lot of cotton skirts climb up them, which is really a pain when walking. But the alternative is truly PAIN. Plus, extra rubbing means dark spots for some of us. Not pretty. I am OK with arms/boobs/belly etc. I am an 18, so those spots don't rub much. But what do you all do?

Please don't tell me you all just wear shorts and pants.

BTW, dh bought me some excellent 2x broomstick skirts with drawstrings at JC Penney on clearance this weekend. Peasant style, not crinkly, fully lined. Should fit through 9 months. Yippee! you think it's hard just finding clothing that FITS for plus pregnancy...on top of that, I have a dress code to mind, as well. Some days, I'd as soon stay in.
#7 of 109 Old 06-29-2003, 11:19 PM

Welcome UmmNuh....

I have some tight knit shorts that come down 1/2 way to my knees that I will wear under some of my skirts to aleviate the pain problem from rubbing thighs -- I ALWAYS wore them in the days of my past when I actually wore pantyhose -- couldn't have survived without them..... I got them from Wal-Mart... but they are probably available in other places too -- they have worked for me so far with the pregnancy since they are so stretchy -- If I need to, I plan to make 6-8 individual 2" cuts down through the waist band and into the shorts across the waistband and add in 1 1/2 inch pieces of elastic -- I did this with some of my older underware and they are working great -- since I don't wear these shorts in public unless it is under something else, I would do the same with them.....

Having said all that, I don't anticipate needing to adjust any of them since I am not doing alot of walking in dresses or skirts these days -- my feet are too puffy -- and when I do walk, I wear shorts or capri pants (sorry, don't have any religious dress code)... When I wear dresses these days, I just haven't been bothered too much with the rubbing thing since I am not walking far....

Good luck and welcome!

kathybird
#8 of 109 Old 06-30-2003, 12:06 AM

how about those excerise shorts? I haven't hunted for them now that I'm pregnant, but pre-pregnancy the XL at Target weren't too bad, and I'm sure WalMart might have more of a selection perhaps? Or get a pair of leggings and shorten them?

I don't wear skirts or dresses often right now. If I do, I baby powder my legs first... and if I know I'm going to be out walking in the heat, forget it. I am a jeans type of girl mostly.

Good luck!

#9 of 109 Old 06-30-2003, 01:19 AM

I haven't worn a skirt out of the house in a long time--Easter day, I think. I would wear exercise shorts underneath my skirts when I did wear skirts on hot days. The maternity shorts I have right now are practically like exercise shorts.

I don't have a dress code, except sometimes I'm tempted just to walk around the house in my underwear, and I can't wear that outside.

Today I decided to just put on some regular jeans because I'm sick of wearing the maternity shorts I have. Just five minutes in the house in those, though, and I was back in the shorts. Way too hot!
#10 of 109 Old 06-30-2003, 09:29 AM

That's funny...I spend most of my time in the house WITHOUT underwear--I find it the most annoying thing I wear these days!

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll have a look at Wal-Mart/Target and see what they have (clearance) that's not totally poly/nylon. As I said, I like my bloomers, but they don't work for all my skirts--and they add extra middle "fluff," which I am not really happy about.
#11 of 109 Old 06-30-2003, 09:30 PM

UmmNuh, welcome and so sorry about your recent loss.

I don't wear skirts but would like to but don't like the rubbing thing. A friend of mine just made me the most amazing cotton short set. She may make more. I can't wait to wear them after babe is born, hanging out in August. They are actually pajamas but so cute I will wear them out. If you want a pair. PM me your email and I will send a photo.
#12 of 109 Old 06-30-2003, 09:32 PM

moved to bottom of thread
#13 of 109 Old 07-01-2003, 01:40 AM

My sister is visiting, so we decided to go to the mall. We were near Lane Bryant, so I stopped in and tried on some clothes. They had some cotton knit and spandex drawstring cropped pants, so I bought them and a matching shirt. Nice to have pants with pockets--my maternity shorts and slacks don't have any.

I have an OB appt tomorrow. I was supposed to get the GTT done and I haven't. I'll see if the doctor notices.
#14 of 109 Old 07-01-2003, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Kj,
just wanted to say thank you for maintaining the list and linking to this thread, I had a duh moment.
#15 of 109 Old 07-01-2003, 04:05 AM

Hi ladies! I'm such a lurker, I just never know what to post, lol. I can't remember if I posted to one of these threads or not, lol, so I thought I should go ahead. Anyway, I'm Stephanie, due 1/21/04 with #2. I am bound and determined to have a VBAC, and I found a wonderful midwife who is just as determined to help me get that VBAC.

I'm so mad though, the only store in town that carries any kind of maternity is walmart and they just clearanced all the maternity underwear and none of the plus sized ones are left. Last week they had a ton of it and I only bought 1 pkg - ARGH!!!

Waving to Pam!!
#16 of 109 Old 07-01-2003, 10:19 AM

welcome stephanie

anyone hear from steffanie3, she was due several days ago and on the 23rd posted she thought she lost her mucous plug, greenluv, how are you?
#17 of 109 Old 07-01-2003, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Steph welcome!
hmmm maybe we could do some kind of baby swap this winter? have a great day!
#18 of 109 Old 07-01-2003, 05:17 PM

I'm still here waiting.

Had a check up with my midwife this morning and she says my cervix is really smooshie/stretchy but this baby isn't very low in my pelvis. He's just sort of sitting there bobbing around.

I'm anxious to get this show on the road already!

Hubby has a week off of work, so this would be the perfect time for baby to arrive. Do you suppose I could psych myself into labor?

BTW- Hello new comers!

banana.gif

#19 of 109 Old 07-01-2003, 09:48 PM

OK, I had an OB appt today. I was planning on going yesterday to get the gtt done, but then said to heck with it. I'm not going to do it and see what they say. I was actually going to say that I had the AFP done and never found out the results, so I figured there was no point getting these tests. The minute the nurse opened the door to call me in, she asked if I had had it done. I said no, that I had forgotten. She said that they really needed it and asked if I could get it done now.

So I went down to get it done since my sister was watching my daughter, and the lab wouldn't do it because I hadn't fasted. So now I have to go back tomorrow morning. Sigh.
#20 of 109 Old 07-01-2003, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greenluv

Hubby has a week off of work, so this would be the perfect time for baby to arrive. Do you suppose I could psych myself into labor?
Since he has some time off, get him to apply some of that special prostaglandin gel of his.
#21 of 109 Old 07-03-2003, 12:12 AM

Amywillo, thanks for making me laugh so hard I was nearly incontinent! Too funny!

banana.gif

#22 of 109 Old 07-09-2003, 10:16 AM

Greenluv, needing an update from you! And has anyone heard from Stephanie????????

I had a hard yesterday. I went to my prenatal and my blood pressure was up again, so they had me do the lay on my side thing and it went down, so they want me to be on modified bedrest, which means lay on my side 2 hours twice during the day. I know it is not total bedrestbut I am like how am I to take care of Charlie? So I asked you don't mean on my side, just sitting right? And she said, "you can do this or be admitted to the hospital like a young woman was today. So then I talked to my Doula friend and I said she doesn't mean 4 hours she is just saying this to make me do one hour and Doula said if she says 4 she means 4. Jeezz....They drew blood to check my liver and stuff which I will get results tomorrow. I also had a non-stress test which went well but I had a 105 minute visit that was to be 25 minutes. And teverytime I go in they bring up the size of the baby and how maybe a VBAC will be too risky if the baby is large. Again Charlie weighed 9.15. So they are doing an ultra sound next week to help determine the size and Carrie my doula is going with me because it has been so hard on me these last few visits cuz I never get encouragement about the VBAC. I feel like all they ever do is bring up concerns. So anyway I am a bit disheartened. Even though, so far my baby is doing well and I am doing pretty well.

And then Jerry was to take Charlie to swim lessons tonite rather than Thursday cuz we are going to the collective to hear birth stories on Thursday. And Jerry was 25 minutes late home from work and as he was trying to get out the door we exchanged harsh words so now I am just sitting home crying. Like that is good for my blood pressure. So what I am saying is he went last night rather than Thursday so we can have this bonding thing and then we have a yucky argument.

Okay one piece of good news, my friend Teresa who is the ritual doula gal is coming over Sunday the 19th to do a body torso casting with us.
#23 of 109 Old 07-09-2003, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

KJ,
so sory you had such a crummy day yesterday. I know what a bummer bedrest can be, I was on full hospital bedrest at 18 weeks with the twins transitioning to home bedrest at 24-35 weeks yuck! But know that they are trying to keep you healthy. High BP in a mama is nothing to play with. Hoping your next apt is a little smoother and that you get your VBAC. What a bummer your docs are not more encouraging. I guess I have been lucky to have all my docs not even question me wanting to go VBAC even with twins.
#24 of 109 Old 07-09-2003, 01:34 PM

Another for your crummy visit. I know when I have doc appts, I have to get there early, because carrying ds through the parking lot or running to make it on time elevates my bp...and normally it is low-normal. I have had a couple of close-to-high readings.
My problem is coming away from less-than-perfect results with an "I'm OK" attitude. I see every little thing--whether it's a pound extra weight gain, an elevated bp, difficulty in getting a heartbeat--as my personal failure. I NEVER get attitude from my doc or nurse, so I know it's my own head talking. : Or is that my mother's voice...?
Anyway, maybe just try to focus on the things you can do to feel better during the pg, and try really hard to plug your ears and hum when your hear the vbac coming into conversation. You're doing everything you can--and you're almost there!

I have my monthly appt tomorrow. Is it too early to talk about labor and delivery with my OB? I've got the weird patch of color on my chest and neck to ask about too...but I always feel like I forget everything when I am actually in there. What were you ladies discussing at 16 weeks?
#25 of 109 Old 07-09-2003, 04:26 PM

Hello all

I'm still here. I had my weekly appt. with my midwife yesterday. I was relieved to find out that I'm finally starting to efface! YAY ME! MW said I'm about 30% effaced, so all of the contractions I've been having are actually doing some work for me. I've been having these uncomfortable contractions that hurt down in my cervix. When I get a good one, I can't continue to walk, which is usually what I'm doing when I get one.

MW said she'd be surprised if we made it until the next prenatal appt. next tuesday- so here's hoping she's right!

Kathy-Jo: I think it's a great idea to take your doula along with you to your next appointment. I think it makes perfect sense that your blood pressure shoots up when having to deal with the negativity of the clinic.

Just keep in mind that you don't need their permission to do what your body was made to do. As for the size of the baby, well we've talked about the hysteria medical people have about birthing a baby over 6-7 pounds. Dr's are all about CYA these days and their own convenience. Ok, so maybe I'm a little anti-OB but they tick me off when they tell women the things they've been telling you.
Have you had a lot of stress to deal with lately? I had tons of stress and did nothing but cry all last month. Have a good cry if you need it, it won't do you any good to hang onto those emotions. Best of all you can come here for support and a willing ear. I back your VBAC plan 100%!! Hey, it took me 3 c/s's to get the guts to do things differently this time around. It sounds to me like you "know too much" and the Dr doesn't like to be second guessed-which means you ARE doing it right!

Hugs to you and I hope you are having a better day today.

banana.gif

#26 of 109 Old 07-09-2003, 06:57 PM

Hi all! I'm still here.

I found a new OB (really liked the MW, but absolutely no way to tdo the $$). He is great.... I never thought that I'd go back to a male MD, but this guy is great (I'll revise as necessary after the baby comes). LOL I took my birth plan with me to my first appointment and he said that he saw "absolutely nothing out of line" in it. he also has priviledges at the birthing center that I want to go to. WOO! I'm really excited.

As of Monday, I'm 80% effaced, 1.5 cm, and at -1 station. I'm noticing some bh ctx, but nothing that can be classified as uncomfortable.

I got my first "have you had that baby yet" call this afternooon. I just laughed and said no. I get the feeling the everyone else is more anxious for me to have this baby than I am. With ds I was ready and wanted him OUT, this time, I'm following the philosophy "baby will come when baby is ready."

Kj - sorry about the crummy appointment. hopefully the next one will be better

UmmNuh - never too early to talk about birthplans, IMO... wish that I had done it earlier with my old OB.

greenluv - Yea! totally rocks that you are doing this! Once you go, it's my turn next. LOL

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#27 of 109 Old 07-13-2003, 02:02 AM

OK, I haven't posted here in over a week, so I thought it was time. I went out of town for the LLLI conference from the 4-6, and then I was wiped out for two days when I got home. I got sciatic back pain and had a hard time moving for a few days, but it seems to be getting better.

The day before I left for San Francisco, I had to take the glucose tolerance test. I went in for my regular appointment, having not had it done. I figured I never find out the results anyway, so I'm not going to do it and see what they say. Well, before I even get in the door, the nurse is asking why I haven't had it done yet. I told her I'd go down that day. My sister was visiting from Virginia and was at home with my daughter, so I figured it was as good a time as any. Sat and waited, went into the lab, oops can't do it, you need to fast.

Went the next morning, I had only fasted about 9.5 hours but it should have been 12. I told them it was 12 even though it wasn't. While I was waiting for the hour, I took a nice stroll around the medical center complex and through the hospital. Then I decided to climb all 11 flights of stairs in the building. Man, were my calves sore two days later.

While I was driving to SF, I got a call saying they needed more blood. Apparently they also needed a tube for a CBC. So I went back in on Tuesday of this week and got the really inexperienced blood drawers. I was poked in my left arm, right hand and right forearm by two differen't women, and they couldn't get any blood, so they waited for the head of the department who had no problems. I have big bruises from the first three attempts, however. I really felt like a pincushion there for awhile.

I guess I'll find out the results of the test at my next appointment.
#28 of 109 Old 07-13-2003, 02:07 AM

Kaje, sorry to hear about your problems. How are things going for you lately? Did you hear the birth stories?
#29 of 109 Old 07-13-2003, 06:16 PM

I had my 16-week. I am down a pound from last month (net gain 1 lb), bp's good, heart beat sounds fine, nothing new.
Got a Nystatin script for the weird thing on my chest the ob seems to think is fungal, due to my supressed immune system. : Don't think I am going to fill it, unless it gets a lot worse, though. Scheduled my 20-week ultrasound...seems strange looking forward to the halfway mark.

Went strawberry picking this weekend, and my BACK is killing me! Ugh...and I have a bear of a cold. Stuck in my lungs. Blah. Think I am on my way back to the living. Any advice for colds? I HATE taking cold meds, and besides Vit-C and water, is anything else really helpful? Is it OK to take zinc lozenges...or is too much zinc dangerous?

Also wondering...do any of you ladies wear a belly belt in the later months? Anyone worn one in the past? I didn't with ds, but I am thinking about it with this one. Doing a lot more lifting and stuff this time, with a toddler at home. Do they do any good?
#30 of 109 Old 07-14-2003, 12:04 AM

I bought a Leading Lady one this time around. There were some Prenatal Cradles and another brand, but the Leading Lady was the smallest and I figured that was all I would need. I mostly just bought it because when I walk on the treadmill, I start to feel my back fatiguing. But then the maternity belt was kind of uncomfortable at times and I felt some pelvic pressure while wearing it once. The Prenatal Cradles come in two kinds, I think, one that is supposed to help with vaginal varicose veins, but it just looked too complicated so I didn't try it on.

Since I've been having back pain this week, I've worn it more and found it helpful.

Sorry to hear that you are sick. Hope you feel better soon. I took some juice with echinacea and astralagus when I had a cold, as well as some zinc lozenges. Then I read a warning on the juice bottle about not drinking it while pregnant--or checking with a doctor or something, I can't quite remember how it was worded. Ugh, too late. But I did some research and didn't find that echinacea should be avoided while pregnant--I guess there is some contradictory thinking on this. I figure the amount in juice is not that great anyway. I found that chewing cloves of raw garlic was helpful for my sore throat. Hope you feel better!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page