Question about twins and hCG - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know most newly pregnant women go through that OMG-what-if-it's-twins stage, and I'm right there now.

Anyway, I know that hGC is higher in pregnancies with multiples, but how much higher? And does it get higher faster than normal? E.G., instead of doubling every 48-72 hours, would it double faster? Or does it just stay consistently higher but rise at the same rate?

If there are any mamas of twins out there that had multiple quantitative hGC tests early in pregnancy, I'd love to know your numbers!! Even though I'm 99% sure that I only have one in there...

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#2 of 9 Old 06-25-2007, 10:57 PM

I wish I had my numbers but of course I didn't keep track. However, I DO know that when I got them and discussed them with my doctor and other women who had been pregnanct, no one had any indication that these were twins. They were right on target for someone carrying one baby - not two.

Actually, I didn't have any indication there was more than one until I actually saw them on the ultrasound - no increased morning sickness or other symptoms. I guess it's one of those "just wait and see" things!

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#3 of 9 Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 PM

I don't know the specific answer to your questions.

There are online HCG calculators that can tell you what percent of women with a given level have twins and what percent have singletons.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine were quadrupling every 48 hours or so at the very beginning and I was all freaked out about multiples or a host of other issues, but it turned out to be just fine- I have one normal, healthy baby. But it was definitely stress inducing. At about 6.5 weeks they can do an u/s to check heartbeat and see that there's only one fetal pole there.

And congrats, Mara! I am so happy for you.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#5 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgewoman View Post
Mine were quadrupling every 48 hours or so at the very beginning and I was all freaked out about multiples or a host of other issues, but it turned out to be just fine- I have one normal, healthy baby. But it was definitely stress inducing. At about 6.5 weeks they can do an u/s to check heartbeat and see that there's only one fetal pole there.

And congrats, Mara! I am so happy for you.
Thanks! Good to 'see' you again, too! I'm not seriously worried but thought I'd investigate anyways... My levels aren't anywhere near quadrulping, it just went from 400ish to over 1000 in 48 hours which made me go... huh. Either way I don't care; twins would be awesome, one baby would be awesome, anything other than another miscarriage would be awesome.

#6 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 AM

how do you guys know your exact hCG levels?

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!
#7 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicely_m View Post
how do you guys know your exact hCG levels?
From quantitative hCG blood tests. Mine were taken b/c I had a miscarriage recently so we wanted to confirm the pregnancy, make sure the hCG was doubling appropriately, and check the progesterone levels.

#8 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Those numbers sound great. Are you doing okay on the progesterone?

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#9 of 9 Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I think so. They don't seem to want to re-test me until my 8-week apt (3 weeks from now!) so I don't know if my blood-levels are rising or not. I don't feel very symptomatic yet which is worrying me, I'm about to read my own blog archives to get an idea of when the queasy started before! Not that that pregnancy is such a great example, really, but it's all I have to go on...

But I've read sooo many stories about women who successfully had babies after diagnosing and treating this thingie, so it's given me a lot of hope.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page