Vit K and eye drops, what's your take? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 07-04-2007, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From what I have read, there are OTHER blood clotting substances that are at higher levels in newborns, to compensate for there being low vitamin K. It appears that the vitamin K is deliberately low in order to prevent certain behavior in certain cells that may lead to leukemia. I can't find the article where I read this, and I know it was very new info and needed a lot more studies to confirm it.

But, even without studies, most people I talk to seem to feel that if nature makes us be born that way, there is probably something to it.

As for the heel prick for testing, I don't think that is the kind of bleeding they are so worried about. They are much more concerned about internal bleeding, especially in the brain.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#32 of 36 Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, my last labor & delivery were superduper fast (90mins) & my son came out with a big bruise on his head from being so forcefully expelled. We weren't planning to get vit. K but decided to once he came out, just in case he had any internal bleeding around that bruise area. I'm pretty sure this next birth will be as fast or faster so we'll probably go with the vit. K again.

As always though, we'll opt out of the eye drops because I am sure that I am STD-free. If I had any question in my mind about that though, I'd go ahead & get them.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#33 of 36 Old 07-05-2007, 01:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Okay. After I posted that I went back & read this link (http://www.vaccination.inoz.com/VitaminK.html). I read most of it to my DH. I will research vit. K more now, but now we're thinking that we WON'T request the vit. K shot. Geez that was an informative link, thanks!

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#34 of 36 Old 07-05-2007, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had oral vitamin K on hand in case I wanted it and declined the eye drops with DD.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#35 of 36 Old 07-06-2007, 12:28 PM

I read that the eye drops were mostly for the std's gonorrhea and chlamydia, but that they were also to prevent other eye infections (no specifics).

I have always had issues with my eyes and considered getting the drops to prevent my baby getting anything I may have (I just had pink eye a couple weeks ago and 2 fever blisters back to back last week and this week).
Do you think the eye drops are more helpful or even more detrimental in this situation? I hated getting frequent eye infections/things, and if I could somehow help the baby not experience that, I would.

By the way, never posted here before, but I'm 27, 21 weeks pregnant with a boy, first baby, no friends have babies (or are close to thinking about it), and sometimes (often) feel I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, I'm trying to stop dropping the f-bomb as a catch-all adjective as I am wont to do. I don't even realize I'm doing it sometimes.
#36 of 36 Old 07-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indomo View Post
\Do you think the eye drops are more helpful or even more detrimental in this situation? I hated getting frequent eye infections/things, and if I could somehow help the baby not experience that, I would.
Welcome!

It's hard to know if the meds would help. I would call an optometrist (sp) or better an opthamologist to ask this question. My gut says no, that they would make no difference down the road, but then I am NO eye expert.

Check out the due date clubs to get the hang of MDC!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page