Pregnant with #1 in our 30s July - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Christy - I'm so very sorry about your two boys. Just know that we are here for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 01:35 PM

in case you newbies don't know this already (it would never have occurred to me if i hadn't been told), you need to have a ped picked before you deliver if you are using a hospital. I do hope I find a pediatrician I like who is covered by our insurance. we interviewed a ped 2 weeks ago and i really did not like him. the most important "issues" i anticipate the first year concern sleeping and eating. we plan on co-sleeping, which i expect most docs not to approve of, and bf'ing exclusively for the first 6 mos, which i expect most docs to approve of (in light of the official stance of teh AAP). so this guy was cool about co-sleeping, but generally not one to boss parents, so it wasn't like he was a big advocate of it, just sort of laissez-faire. but he warned me against "fetishizing" bfing and disclosed (i didn't ask) that his wife bf'd for only 19 days. oh, and he also said there is no nutritional difference btwn bm and formula for babies living in the developed world. while i agree that formula would be worse if we did not have access to clean water, i did not sense that he woudl be the one to encourage me to keep at it if i were to encounter challenges. this did not concern dh has much, as he is worried that if i have bfing problems i will feel guilt and he wants to protect me from disappointment. so in a sense he agrees with the doc, not on the relative nutritional value, but on the zealousness of my commitment to bfing. he also didn't answer direct questions -- instead he went off on tangents about how great he had been in analogous situations. so we are interviewing another one on thursday, and if we don;t like her i am going to get worried!! postponing worry until then. this guy was recommended by mdc'ers, and the doc we have yet to meet came off a list by my lcoal ap group. all of the other docs there are not covered by dh;s insurance or are far away -- not something we want in a ped. life will be much easier once i go back to work -- i hope i will get better insurance (it's pretty hard to get worse insurance than he has).
Old 07-09-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
I'm so exhausted from this show! Does anyone know if dry ice is bad for my baby? It pours over the stage a couple different times during the show and makes it hard to breathe...I happen to be sitting right in the thick of where it hits. Bleah. They keep saying it's safe but I do cough at night now so maybe the coldness of it is irritating my lungs. Hard to know when to play if you can't see the conductor through the, um, fog.

My life is weird.
Yes, you have an interesting life. That's a good thing, though! I'd ask your OB or MW about the dry ice, and find out what they actually use. If it's just dry ice, it's probably okay, but if it's a fog machine I'd wonder... I wonder if a humidifier at home would help if the ice is drying out your lungs, maybe? Or wait, you're on the East Coast so you probably have plenty of humidity!
Old 07-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Sorry you're sick... I got it at 5 weeks and it got worse until 12, when it started improving until about 16 when I finally had my first day of actually feeling like myself! The 12th week was definitely the turning point, though.

I agree that you shouldn't let your blood sugar get low - I ate something every two-three hours and that helped keep the severity down. Eat whatever will do down - I couldn't have eaten a cracker to save my life but some days I craved spicy food. Go figure. And stay hydrated. The sea bands didn't help me, but I had good luck with cola syrup (they have it OTC in drug stores) over crushed ice helped a lot when it was really bad for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybama View Post
I hit 9 weeks today, and my m/s seems to be getting worse.
I have been sick with m/s (but no vomiting) all weekend, so I have been cooped up in my house. It is 97 degrees out right now, so I can't say that I would rather be outside anyway. I am living off of crackers and juice, and if I am lucky a grilled cheese sandwich and pickles.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:07 PM

Chisty - I am so very sorry for your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyM26 View Post
Hey all. Could you please take me off the expecting list? Apparently, I have an incompetent cervix and my little boys were far too little to make it. We (me and DH) have to go through some recovery (physical and emotional) and then we can try again. I hope that things go well for everybody else. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 PM

Pie - I so haven't even started interviewing peds. I just have zero interest. Everything else baby-wise has been such as hassle that the very last thing I want to do is schedule more appointments with more doctors only ending up chosing the one I hate the least. Ugh. Part of the other reason I am unmotivated is because the hospital I am birthing in is way the heck away from where I live, so no ped I will be taking my child to regularly will be associated with that hospital anyway - I think we will be stuck with the on-call, on-staff or whatever doctor anyway.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM

Christy I've been thinking about you and wondering how you're holding up. I'm so sorry you're going through this - it's just not fair. I hope you're surrounded by friends and family and know that we're here for support as well.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 PM

Frivolous stuff that didn't seem right to include in condolences to Christy...

My A/C has been replaced! Finally got in touch w/ the landlord & he told me to buy one and take the cost out of next month's rent. The other A/C was freezing up from working too hard & seems to be fine after being off all night. I was able to sleep last night! Aaahhh.

Elizabeth I've lots of landlords, both good and bad, and this one is by far the worst. Ironically I've lived in this place at least 4 times longer than any of the other places. It's a late '60's era beach house that my landlord bought for investment. The land is worth WAY more than the house, so he's just letting the house go to hell and using us to pay his mortgage while the property value goes through the roof. It's been ok (but in steady decline) the four years we've lived there but it's not safe for a baby to be crawling around. My parents even called this morning telling me that I should move because they're concerned about exposing a newborn to all the mold in the house. I had thought of all the other hazards that apply once the baby is crawling but I hadn't thought about the mold and her little lungs. Here I am obsessing about the gel in diapers while overlooking a huge real concern. Of course finding a place that will accept a rottweiler, a german shepherd and tenants with (ahem) less than perfect credit is next to impossible.

Julia the dry ice isn't bad for you but it's not good either - it's just carbon dioxide. It might make you feel a little lightheaded from oxygen deprivation but you'll be fine as soon as it's over. Not sure about the cough but it makes sense that the coldness would irritate your lungs.

Aimee thanks for sharing your experience with the IUD. It seems much less scary now. Sorry you're not feeling well. Blood sugar levels were really important to me too, so I was eating constantly during the 1st tri. It was tiring to eat all the time but I never threw up so it was worth it.

PiePie hooray for scoring all that loot! Hope you found a place to put it all. I'm 23 weeks already and really want to start buying stuff, but I'm trying to hold off at least until the parents/in-laws have contributed to the cause. I did know that I had to find a pediatrician but haven't gotten that far. Sorry you were less than thrilled with the one you interviewed - I agree that BFing support is critical and it seems like that doc could care less about it. Glad you're going to keep looking. Hope you like the next one.

Emily you might want to pick the doc who examines your baby at the hospital just to make sure s/he's covered by your insurance. You can pick a different one to use full-time who lives close to you after that.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

((((Christy)))) I'm so very sorry for your loss. My heart is still breaking for you.

Quote:
I'd love to know more about the good and bad aspects of your mom being there the first two weeks.
Me too!! I can't decide if I'll want my mom around to help or not!

Re: work... ugh, I feel the same way, only now it's even worse because I'm covering a lot of extra work now that my boss has quit and there's no replacement. It sucks, and I am totally doing a half assed job because I just don't care.

Aimee, yay for seeing the heartbeat! That's great, congrats! Sorry m/s found you!

Pie, get a doula!! I'm sure your hubby loves you dearly and that was all coming out of stress for him, so even though I'm pissed at him for you, just know that this is a really stressful time.. and if he can't support you NOW, maybe a doula is the right way to get support. And yay for tons of loot!

My belly button is SO completely obvious, it makes me crazy. It sticking out so bad! Today I put a band aid on it!!

We're going to talk with a pediatrician in a few weeks. Our AP parenting friend with two young boys recommended him, so I think as long as the interview goes well we'll stick with him.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyphry View Post
My belly button is SO completely obvious, it makes me crazy. It sticking out so bad! Today I put a band aid on it!!

We're going to talk with a pediatrician in a few weeks. Our AP parenting friend with two young boys recommended him, so I think as long as the interview goes well we'll stick with him.
You could try these if it bothers you http://www.mimimaternity.com/Product...rCategory_Id=1 . I'd hope they're more comfy than a bandaid. Sort of like pasties for your belly button!

I need to find a pediatrition, too. We have two possibilities, but I still need to make appointments to meet them. Our medical group is with UC Davis, so I'm worried about the amount of pressure for tests, vaccines, etc. I'm switching groups at the next open enrollment to have a few more options, but it's still going to be limited and won't go into effect until January. I don't even know any crunchy mommas so I don't know where to start in terms of referrals - all of the mommas I know are very pro-medical establishment...
Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 AM

Real quick...

Pie...so glad you had a good weekend in DC and I can't wait to hear more about all the loot ya scored! Thx for reminding me about the pediatrician...my friend told me about that, and she said to make sure to choose one who has hospital priveleges where you're giving birth (if it's in a hospital). So I went over to the tribal areas and someone had already asked about peds in my neighborhood, and I looked up the one someone suggested and lo and behold, she's on my insurance! It's never that easy!
How's your foot?

Dee...glad your a.c. is fixed. I just left an apt. last December that was filled with mold in the carpet but I didn't really realize it. I just know that since I moved, I can breathe better (dry ice at work aside) and I don't have sneeze/cough attacks every morning. The apt. was a basement apartment and it was so dark that I didn't notice the mold growing on the bottom of my dressers til I got them in this house. Now I have to get rid of them! Nasty! I know it's hard to find a new place and it must be nice being on the beach, but mold is a real health concern. Good luck!

Just wanted to give us a bump and say I have an OB appt. today. Not sure what they'll do, probably just listen for the HB again but I love that! The big u/s is tomorrow....
Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 PM

elizabeth, post in the finding your tribe for your geographic area, and also search to see if there is an api (attachment parenting int'l) group in your area. the one in nyc maintains a database on docs with comments on various things by various folks, so you get a good cross-section of opinions and can focus on what matters to you (in my case, support for bfing).
Old 07-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Back already...appt. was good...I always turn around when they weigh me (that's just a number I don't want to see) but did ask if my weight gain was on track and they said it was fine. (Phew...I feel like a cow tho!) The heartbeat was strong but this time we could hear the baby moving constantly! Dr. said "I think your child is just fine..." An active little one! It was in the 150's, again, but this dr. said the gender/heartrate wives' tale is just that... total wives' tale. So, alas, I'll have to wait til tomorrow! I hope I can sleep tonight!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:59 PM

on peds: we interviewed one that was strongly recommended by like-minded folks, a lactation consultant, pro-vax but willing to delay or at least discuss options reasonably... Liked her just fine but we ended up going with a family practice doc. I hate pediatrician offices! Maybe it's a deep-seated response from my own childhood but I swear I can sense the germs, there's a certain smell, waiting room always filled with kids crawling around and screaming (and just because I have a kid now doesn't mean I like that any more). They had these signs basically saying 'when it's time for a shot, we are not going to wait for you to discuss it with your child or calm them down, we're just going to get it over with, it's better that way.' Well that may be true but is pretty harsh and so far nursing during pokes has prevented tears, even if it takes a few minutes extra.

At the family practice, the waiting room is quiet and clean (a few little toys around), G. is treated as something special, our whole family health is considered... There aren't little trains painted on the walls but I don't think she'll care. anyway just food for thought in case this is an option any of you are interested in.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Pie - Thanks for the ideas on finding a ped; I'll do that.

Grace - Cant' wait to hear how the ultrasound goes!

I have my glucose screening today, so please send low blood sugar vibes my way this afternoon. My doc uses 135 as a cutoff, which is pretty low, but he bases stuff on "what percentage of cases he'll catch" with the number he uses. I guess 140 catches 90% and 135 catches 95%. What-ever.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:11 PM

anyone looking for a crib? we are getting a hand-me-down (i hope, pick up logistics are getting hairy...), but this http://www.innovativecribdesigns.com/ struck me as truly practical!
Old 07-10-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
anyone looking for a crib? we are getting a hand-me-down (i hope, pick up logistics are getting hairy...), but this http://www.innovativecribdesigns.com/ struck me as truly practical!
That makes a ton of sense - putting a sheet on ours just to keep it clean for now was a pain...

Speaking of sleeping stuff, anyone seen/heard about this? http://www.ambybaby.com/ We are planning on having her in our room, at least until she's sleeping through the night, but our bed and the size of our room really wouldn't accomodate a co-sleeper. I also think if this actually does help them sleep and aid with digestion, etc. maybe it would be worth it to just have her in this right next to me? It makes sense to me that a newborn would be more comfortable in a snuggly position than flat on her back...
Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 PM

i've seen these in person; if your room won't accommodate a mini co-sleeper, i don't think it will fit one of those. they are pretty pricey, so i was going to hold off unless and until we wind up with a reflux diagnosis (pretty likely, given my history). and now it is obvious to me that there would be nowhere for it to go.

had a mega meltdown with my dad today. he was supposed to come this weekend to bring some stuff we need to get rid of into storage at their place because my mom wants it. well, my mom decided that doing stuff for her and my brother was more important and convinced my dad to put me and the baby off, and he didn't even tell me until i called to demand an exact time of arrival!! worse, he was pushing me so far back in time that the baby could come (be full term) before we evacuated teh apt. of stuff and cleared space we need for baby stuff, so my family would be blocking my nesting urges, which are probably nothing to get in the way of. so i went bonkers adn wrote him an angry email (which i didn't send) about how i don't want someone in my child's life who can't be relied on for anything other than disappointment. i then talked to him and pushed back again and now he is coming after all. but i hate having to act like a spoiled brat and make demands for stuff just to get out of being ranked last in my family. SIGH.

I so did not need this drain of energy -- tons of work to do by tomorrow. i am still at the office at 9:23. i hate working right now. i think i am just going to hate my job between now and when the baby comes because i can't really focus on anything but baby, and i can't love a job when i am effing it up.

i am thinking of working through august 3, and then asking my boss to let me go part-time, so that i don't sit home going crazy, but also so that i can feel less drained. it's like something is sucking everything out of me, yk?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 AM

Becky sorry your belly button is driving you nuts! Can you just stick out your belly a little more and strut around like you love it? You know, fake the funk? Reminds me of being at walmart a month ago, miserable from aching feet and feeling fat. I saw a woman as pregnant as you are now teetering around in high heels, wearing a form-fitting bright red shirt with her belly button sticking out. It made me feel : but it was cool b/c she was so comfortable in her body. I'm absolutely fascinated by my belly button now and watch it stretch every day. Guess I've become a navel gazer!

Julia glad to hear the doc appointment went well. I'm so excited for your u/s tomorrow! Let us know how it goes!

CJ that's a great idea to get a GP instead of a pediatrician - I hadn't thought of that. Do you think a GP would be more upset about being awakened in the middle of the night by a distraught mom than a pediatrician though? Just wondering if I'd be more hesitant to call if I thought someone wasn't expecting it or couldn't handle it. I spent much of my own childhood in ped waiting rooms so I understand your aversion. Glad you found a place you like and have been getting through the shots so well. It must be upsetting to see her upset!

Elizabeth I looked at the Amby a while ago and like the idea too. You can get pretty good deals on them on ebay but I don't know how much shipping would cost. Like PiePie, I've heard that they take up a lot of room so you may want to get the measurements and work that out before you buy. Is the mini cosleeper an option for you?

PiePie I know how you feel about acting like a brat just to get noticed. My sister was always a drama queen so I usually just shut up and took whatever, but every now and then I have to stick up for what I need. Glad you got things worked out. I think going part-time at your job would be great for you too.

So my mom told me the other day that she mailed a baby gift, just something small. I was thinking clothes, of course - what grandma-to-be can't resist little girl outfits? I got it today and I was all excited b/c it's our second baby gift ever. Well it's a doll. Newborn safe and all that but it's LIME GREEN. I told her I wasn't a big fan of pink, but lime green? It's all polyester and made in China too. I guess I sound like a brat right now but I have the sinking feeling that this is the beginning of a very long trend.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 AM

I don't know how you gals are working... for the last couple of weeks I've been hit by major fatigue. I'm also having problems sleeping so that doesn't help. I just can't imagine working when I'm feeling so run down. KUDOS to you all for your perseverance! PiePie I hope your boss lets you go down to part time without a lot of fuss but to be honest she doesn't sound like the type to let you off without giving you some shit.

That Amby thingy is cool and I know that babies do like to be kept snuggled close especially when they are colicky so that works. Here they sell hammocks that you can hang inside a crib and they aren't very expensive at all.

We are not going with a ped instead we are doing a family practice. I've been with this doctor for years and I really like her. Here they have an organization that tracks baby's development and handles all the shots until the child is school aged. I've heard good and bad things about this organization, it depends on who you get assigned to you I guess.

What are your thoughts about immunizations? I've been reading up on it since basically I have always thought that vaccines are good but just recently in Mothering there was something about how since 1985 we've gone from 12 vaccines to 36 vaccines for the 1st 2 years.... dang! I'm not sure I want my kid vaccinated against chicken pox - what's wrong with getting the disease? Just wondering what strategies everyone's thinking about. I think maybe I'll wait for my baby to be older before exposing her to a wide variety of diseases (through the vaccine) even before her immune system has matured a bit. Oh and how about these vaccines that have mercury? I feel really ignorant reading about this stuff.

Oh I feel so envious of you all sweating in the summer.... it's July and I haven't seen the sun in a month and a half. The weather here has been so bad, I have a cold... they other night we put the HEAT on... I could really do with some sunny warm weather to enjoy my time off from work but so far it's only rain. When I hear about AC and sweating I feel so jealous. Summer should be like that so that you can bear winter. Obviously the weather is affecting my mood!

Julia - can't wait to know about your u/s!!!

PiePie - hope your foot is doing better. You are such a trooper! I do feel for you because it sounds like you are having to fight too many battles right now. Maybe instead of fighting you should surrender and maybe then you will get the support you keep asking for? Surrendering does not mean giving up, I mean it like letting others see you vulnerable and needy.... does this make sense at all or is this coming across as new agey blah blah? Don't get me wrong maybe I should keep my mouth shut (yeah right!) but you remind me of myself a lot. My first response to being hurt is getting f**king pissed off... well then no one sees I'm hurt they just get mad at me for getting mad at them. When I let DH see how hurt I was and how alone I felt (I call it the meltdown weekend) he completely came around. And since then it's been much easier for me to let him see me vulnerable especially since his reaction was so positive. Anyway maybe I'm totally off target but just thought I should mention it.... I hope you don't mind.

My Mom (yes the woman I don't get along with) asked me if she could be at my birth. She lives in Florida so she's far away. I told her I'd think about it and get back to her. Well I was dreading this conversation since she takes everything as a personal attack. I already knew that I don't want her here since she was here for my sister's first birth and she basically got bored with the baby after 4 days and wanted us all to entertain her. Her thoughts were that she'd traveled too far to be cooped up in the house all day. Except that at the time I was working and my sister had just given birth. She stayed a month that dragged on and on. No she didn't cook or help with the cleaning or laundry. And halfway through her stay she stopped talking to my sister's husband. She's decided she doesn't like him. She likes drama around her otherwise she gets bored.

She's not super maternal to start with and she really feels like she's done her part already, she raised 4 kids and she's done; which I think is fair enough.

So I finally talked to her about it. She has this fantasy that we have a mother daughter relationship out of some tv show or something. When I asked her why she wanted to be at the birth she said she is my mother and don't I want her there? I said I don't want any added stress and that lets be honest we don't get along very well so no I don't want her there. She started to say that it would be different this time and I just said that we always start out with good intentions that quickly turn into high drama and I just don't want that. Anyway I am pretty happy with how the conversation went, I didn't get mad or defensive I just told her no. And now it's out of the way. We are talking about her coming for Thanksgiving to meet both new grandkids. She didn't offer to be at my sister's second birth because she doesn't talk to my sister's DH. Yeah gotta love that...

okay gotta go out now, rain has abated for a bit.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 AM

Don't have much time. My mom's big surgery (full radical mastectomy) is today, and I'm about to head into Boston to visit with her before they start. The surgery for the removal of the tumor and the reconstruction of her pectoral muscle is going to take 8-10 hours. Hope everything goes well!

On peds: We found a great ped that's about 25 minutes from our home. Not bad, but there are about 25 peds closer than that. The only problem is that she's very busy (all the more "crunchy" moms use her). She's one of the few that will allow delayed vax. I may talk to my primary care (he's a family practitioner) when I see him next month to see his opinion.

On Vax: Still unsure. My father-in-law is a microbiologist and is adament about a few of the early vaxes so that he'll feel safe around the baby. However, he said we should skip rota-virus since the side effects of the vaccine can be as bad as the virus. He also recommended waiting on the chicken pox vaccine until the child is ready for school. His final recommendation was not to get the big 5-vax shot (MMR, Varicella and heb B) because he thinks it's too much on the immune system at a young age. Of course, this is all recommendations from a microbiologist who works in a hospital, not from a doctor or other real medical professional.

Oh - I got a New Native Baby carrier from my aunt the other day. I've never seen one before, but it looks pretty cool.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:34 AM

OMG OMG OMG my u/s is in 2 hours! I'm so excited I can't stand it! It's like Christmas! I can't remember when I was last so excited about anything!

I may not get a chance to post after the appt. but I'll be here tonight for sure...we have two shows today right afterwards. I'll come report as soon as I can.

Whee!

Does anyone else's belly itch? What is that about?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM

Oh...Jenn...good luck to your mom today. Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Natalia...thx for checking in! I've been wondering about you! I guess your time off is going ok? I'm so proud of you (I know, I hardly know you) for standing up to your mom. I just know how hard it is to do, with family when they can be so manipulative. I am actually wishing my mom would show some more interest in what's going on with me. She was so excited about my wedding, but the baby came along and she's been quite stand-offish. It's pretty hurtful, but I'm used to being disappointed so at least I have a place to put it when she does it. I'm having major issues with her and my brother right now... seriously, my family takes the prize. (Though I'm sure we all feel that way ) Anyhow just wanted to say I read your post and was mighty impressed. I feel like it's time for me to take care of MY baby now, not my mother's feelings. Sounds like you do to. Good on ya.

K, now I gotta go shower. I'm stinky.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:14 PM

Julia I'm so eager to hear how your u/s goes! I'll be checking in later.

Jenn, many good thoughts for your mom.

If I make it through this day I will be so pleased! My birthday is Friday... my inlaws arrive that day. Just found out my mom invited people to my shower that I specifically asked her not to invite. Old friends I've lost touch with and our lives went in different directions. Maybe will be fun to catch up but I think doing it at the shower, which is already promising to be stressful in at least three different directions, will be stressful. I'm annoyed that my mother goes against my specific wishes -- this is like the third time this week she's been like "I know you said you want X but I decided that..." I missed turning in these midterm reports last week, and now I'm supposed to do them but I was up till midnight doing reading for my OTHER class and then cat woke me up at 5 so I'm on no sleep and seriously, am I going to be able to write 27 reports between classes? And we're moving in a couple of weeks and my landlord has scheduled a ton of maintenance to begin next week.

Okay thanks for letting me release. I'm doing reasonably well considering the craziness that is this week. Peace. Baby A. is growing well according to my prenatal today. Check in with all of you later!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Ok, I'm back...

Baby is beautiful, perfect, and healthy, and measuring about a week ahead of the EDD of 11/23. And...it's a BOY!!!!

I can't believe it! I was so sure it was a girl. I even had another dream about "her" last night! But we're thrilled. Seriously, I'm very excited. I'm just happy he's healthy! Had no markers for Down's that they could see, and since we're not doing any other prenatal testing this was a huge relief.

So that's my big news!

Lane...I'm sorry you're so stressed. Again, with the mothers! Jeez! Want to hear what my mom said when I told her it was a boy? Ok, she was happy, but then said we had to keep trying because she wants a girl. Augh. Know what, it doesn't even bother me anymore. I hope the shower is fun anyhow and you enjoy catching up, but ya, that would be a bit awkward I guess. Good luck with everything, sounds like you're juggling a lot of balls... but I'm glad baby is healthy!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:37 PM

Dee...did we trade babies? Weren't you supposed to have the boy and I was supposed to have the girl?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Congrats on your healthy baby boy! It's terrific that everything looked good.

I just reread my post from earlier and it sounds like it was written by a crazy person. I had a pretty good day. Hope everyone else did too.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM

Minnow - you don't sound crazy, you sound stressed! Understandable... Happy birthday tomorrow!!! It's interesting (and kind of comforting) that other people have mom issues, too... Mine and I have a strained relationship and it's hard to hear about people who's moms were so great during pregnancy, etc... I just don't feel that way at all.

Natalie - More on moms... Your mom sounds a bit like mine. She has a history of depression and can be the queen of victimhood. She can take just about anything that isn't the way she thinks it should be and turn it into an attack and then will revert to "poor her"... It's exhausting. We actually had a very good talk about her assumptions about being at the birth and she was fine with being in the waiting room at the end of it... I was VERY surprised and super relieved. No guilt - it was amazing!!!

Jenn - Lots of prayers on the way for your mom... Thank you also for the info on vaccines. Pediatrition interviews are basically the next thing on my list now that we've decided on hypnobirthing classes (we start tomorrow).

Grace - A boy!!! Yay!!! How funny that you thought girl - I was scared to let myself predict either way... And nice comment from your mom - geez. Where do their filters go?! Oh, and yes, bellies itch. I hear it's the skin stretching. I've had pretty good luck with shea butter, but it still itches sometimes. Better that than when my nipples itched constantly. That was tons of fun.

I finally had the glucose screening yesterday. The phlebotomist sucked - she poked me twice and left two bruises that aren't exactly tiny... The drink didn't bother me at all, but boy did it make the baby active! I had NO sugar at all with lunch (tofu scramble with veggies) and waited 2 hours, so I hope it's low... My doctor uses 135 as a cutoff, which I guess is on the low-side. Fingers crossed!

I forgot to mention our shopping spree - we finally got fabric for the Bugaboo - red fleece and the Lotus (red) Snugride. Hope she likes red as much as her parents! Now I keep staring at the carseat and trying to imagine an actual baby in it! I also had a friend offer to loan us her swing, which means one thing we don't actually have to buy...

Our issue with a co-sleeper is both the design of our bed and shape/size of our room. We have just enough room to walk on each side of the bed, which is a modified platform with built-in side tables. So, I think we may be able to shove the amby in the corner with the metal under the table and the amby over it a bit, but I'd have to measure... A co-sleeper would have to be lower on the bed than the table, somehow be low enough to line up with the low bed, and would only be up against the platform, not the mattress... And would also mean I'd have to crawl into bed from the bottom... I guess we'll need to get out the measuring tape and figure out what will work!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:07 PM

Jenn I hope your mom's surgery was brilliantly successful and she's doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Dee...did we trade babies? Weren't you supposed to have the boy and I was supposed to have the girl?
The gender delivery system seems to be a little screwy lately! In fact, it only seems to work about 50% of the time.

Julia congratulations on your baby boy! : Glad you're thrilled and he looks perfect and healthy too! Sorry your mom wasn't exactly excited about the gender - can't she keep her comments to herself?

Natalia the grass really is greener on the other side. Right now a nice cool rainy day sounds awesome. In fact I daydream about vacations to the Canadian mountains. It's been raining a lot here too, but then the sun comes out and going outside is like stepping into a blinding sauna. I *love* Florida in the winter but the summer is too hot for too long. Glad you seem to be feeling better. It's wonderful that you had an honest discussion with your mom about her being at the birth. I'm reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and she's explaining how the cervix can actually close back up if an unwanted presence is nearby. Crazy stuff but it makes sense evolutionarily (which is how I view most things, heh). Hooray for doing what's right for you and your baby!

Minnow yay for a good doc appointment. Sorry you're going crazy writing reports and reading and all that stuff. Sounds like your mom is doing what she wants to do instead of what you asked her to do. I would be pissed if my mom did that too. At least the shower won't be too long and there (probably) won't be drinking involved. Is it rude to score the loot and run?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 PM

On Vax: Definitely selective and delayed. I think Natalia's right about the number of shots given in the first year - it's doubled or tripled in the past several years. They don't make them with mercury in them any more - finally!

I'm a molecular/microbiologist too. Only took one class in immunology but it was probably my favorite b/c I learned the most. I need to do a lot more research on which vaxes I'll be getting and why I'll decline the others but it really boils down to not wanting to overwhelm an immature immune system. The HepB vax at birth really bothers me for some reason. I just have a good feeling that my baby isn't having promiscuous sex and using IV drugs right now. I'm also a bit of a conspiracy theorist - who's making money off pumping our babies full of antigens? I believe there's a time an place for certain vaccines and I know they've saved many lives, so I'm going the selective and delayed route.

User Tag List