Pregnant with #1 in our 30s July - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 303 Old 07-14-2007, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Emily! I think because my name was really unusual when I was growing up (I didn't meet another Elizabeth - and she went by Liz - until junior high) I somehow thought it would be better to have a less common name. You're right, though, and Emily is a beautiful name.

Another note on doulas - I actually am looking foward to having someone to do the stuff that would take dh's attention off of me. I want her to be the one to make phone calls, run interference with nurses, get ice or popsicles for me, sneak me food or a drink if the hosp says no, etc. so that dh can just stay focused on keeping me focused! And frankly, she'll be there if he isn't able to support me as much as I want him to.
#122 of 303 Old 07-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Sarahjen - so good to see you posting again! Sorry about the m/s. It should get better soon though! I felt lousy until around 14 weeks. I didn't eat much during that time (lost a few pounds) and the midwife said not to worry, baby is growing well and getting what she needs.

Piepie - Sorry about your bad day at work. I think you're boss is crazy to think it's your fault a client got so upset! Hopefully, after Roo is born you'll be able to find a great job, closer to home with a better manager. Wow! you are a reading fiend. I remember my days of long subway rides in Boston - I did a lot of reading at that time. Now, I spent two hours a day in the car driving to and from work, which kind of stinks. Thanks for the book recommendations. It's always nice to have some reviews before delving into books. Luckily, my midwife has a great library and we've started using it. We got The Birth Partner last Tuesday and will probably pick up a second book this Tuesday, when I have my next appt.

Julia - Congrats on finding a Doula! DH and I decided that we weren't going to get a doula, but I think they are a great assistance. The midwife apprentice at The Birth Cottage is fantastic and a trained/certified doula, so she'll be helping us and the midwives out. Plus, my DH is usually pretty supportive of me and has been great so far this pregnancy. I feel very lucky to have him!

Elizabeth - most of our boy name choices are pretty common (top 25 in the state). We decided not to worry about it. Our girl name is not even in the top 100 though. DH and I both have very common names (Jennifer and Andrew) and decided to pick a name we like instead of one we don't hate just because it's different.

CJ - love the photo with the Mei Tai. You and G look so happy in that photo! She's getting so big! My mom loves to sew, and if she's up for it, she's going to make me some cloth diapers as a Christmas gift (clearly not newborn size, but still very helpful).

My mom is doing very well right now. They moved her out of ICU and into a recovery room. She's breathing on her own with some oxygen assistance to help aid in healing. She's going back in for surgery again on Monday to change the dressing over her shoulder and to start the process of stretching skin on her back and stomach for the reconstruction.

I can't believe I have my 28 week appointment on Tuesday. Where has the time gone! I'm excited to only have 10 weeks of work left. I've had to get a few doctors notes about work. We have "stand up meetings" which are over an hour long EVERY day and I was just getting stiff from standing in one place for so long. They wouldn't let me sit down without a Dr note (they wouldn't accept my midwives note because she's a certified practicing midwife, not a nurse practitioner - stupid company). DH and I decided that I am not going back after 12 weeks except for the one day required for me to keep my maternity benefits. The company is clearly not a family friendly company. If we can't manage on DH's salary alone, and our savings gets too drained, I'll get a job closer to home. I'm hoping to make it through until next Sept and start teaching high school physics. I may start teaching at the community college if we need a boost before then.
#123 of 303 Old 07-15-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Julia, congrats on your boy! YAAY! I'm so upset for you that you didn't get pix at your u/s!! We got two and we've never had to ask (we got pix at our three u/s without asking for them). And congrats on finding a doula! We have one, too. I connected with her immediately and she makes me feel very comfortable.

Jenn, sending love to you and your mom!

Elizabeth, I know what you mean about the name issue. Our favorite name turned out to be in the top 3!! So we decided to go with our "backup" name, which is only around #40 or 50 in terms of popularity, and now we both like it more anyhow.

Re: vaxes. Our hospital does not give the HepB vax at the hospital, which we were planning to refuse anyhow. The pediatrician we're hoping to go with (meeting with him soon), is cool with selective/delaying vaxes, so I really look forward to meeting him.

Re: belly itching. I think it's from the skin stretching. I use Shea Butter on my belly every day and haven't had any itching since I started using it. Stretch marks occur very deep within the skin layers, so nothing you put on topically will help. Unfortunately it's mostly related to genetics whether or not we'll get them, and I think most women don't get them until the end of pregnancy anyhow.

SarahJen, welcome to the 2nd trimester!

Lane, happy birthday!

So, we might be able to close on our condo next week. There was a snag this week where the bank asked for more money. We said no, then the next day they decided they needed to close ASAP because there's some HUD form that expires on Wednesday. So, hopefully Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning we'll have the keys in our hands and be homeowners! The only work that really needs to be done is new flooring/carpeting, painting, and my MIL wants to re-do the kitchen, even though all it really needs is a new dishwasher. Hopefully that stuff can get done in around 3 weeks, which would get us in right at the last second!

My last appointment was last week, and the doctor I saw (there are 2 docs and 2 midwives at my practice) said that the baby is head down, and I'm measuring right on schedule.

We had our all-day birthing class yesterday, which was great. I really enjoyed it and it confirmed a lot of what I already knew, and I learned a few new things. I appreciated the more natural philosophies of the lactation consultant and the doula who were our instructors. I mean, who ever heard of a doula being an instructor at a hospital birthing class?? I love my hospital!!

My shower is next weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing what we get, so that we can get the rest of the essentials and I can feel like we're actually READY for the baby to come no matter where we live!

Hope you're all feeling good!
#124 of 303 Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 AM

Becky - : for a timely closing!!! Woohoo. I am so excited for you.

Jenn - Glad your mom is doing so well with her recovery. Thanks for updating us.

So weird new symptom - my feet are swollen! Ack. I've been sort of limping around the past few days (not quite sure why...my feet just didn't feel "right", but I was ignoring it). Well, I finally realized today that it is because they are swollen. I don't have "fankles" or anything, but my poor feet are definitely puffy. I am NOT looking forward to spending the rest of my pregnancy like this (or what if they swell MORE?!). I hate it when my feet are uncomfortable. Whine.
#125 of 303 Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 AM

becky, good luck with the closing.

emily, at the risk of offending your fashion sensibilities, i will disclose that i finally started sleeping in support hose (power: 20). it helps with the size of the feet a lot. still sore, but not nearly as much so...
#126 of 303 Old 07-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Hello!

Sarahjen, i've been wondering about you, glad you posted and you are doing ok.

Jenn, glad to hear your mom is doing good! What company has a "standing" meeting and doesn't let the pregnant sit, wow--that is just :

I'm tired all the time, but not overly sick, just feel yucky in the afternoons. Work is slow, which makes the days go by even slower... ugh. I wonder if anyone would notice if I put my head on my desk in my cube and napped. LOL.
#127 of 303 Old 07-16-2007, 05:36 PM

Emily - My ankles and feet swell off and on. The biggest help is actually getting into a pool for a couple hours. I guess it's a combination of the weightlessness and the pressure from the water, especially if you're feet-down. 5 feet underwater the pressure is much higher than outside. I manage to get it at least once most weekends and for a few days after my feet are MUCH improved. It's awful when they're so bad they get sore, though. I think with me they are also tender because they're carrying so much extra weight!

Becky - good closing vibes on the way!!! It's so rewarding to own.

I feel for you first trimester mommas - that was so hard for me. It gets so much better in a few more weeks!

Dh and I had lunch with my oldest friend who I've been estranged from for several years for sort of unknown reasons. We were the creepy, read each others minds kind of friends a long time ago. It was really great to see her - I'd so much like to have her a part of the baby's life. I'm hoping that we'll stay in touch this time. And, she apparently can still read my mind, because she guessed the baby's name with virtually NO information other than that it's Italian and is not the name of anyone we know... Go figure. It felt great to reconnect.

I have my first every-two-week appointment tomorrow, which makes it really feel like it's the third trimester! Haven't heard anything on the glucose screening, which I hope is a good sign!
#128 of 303 Old 07-16-2007, 06:43 PM

PiePie thanks for the book suggestions - I made a list of the books you mentioned. I've been thinking about support hose too. Are they just to your calves? I don't think I could stand sleeping in full hose.

Julia congrats on finding a doula! It's on my list of things to do. I've read a few biographies of local doulas & found one that teaches hypnobirthing too, so it seems like she might be a good fit. I definitely want one & I've heard they're worth it at 3X the cost.

Jenn I'm so glad to hear your mom did well over the weekend. How did the surgery today go? That's a lot to put a body through all at once! My mom's cancer wasn't nearly as invasive (no borrowing muscle from her arms) but she had the mastectomy and reconstruction done in one long surgery. She was definitely glad to get it over with. Ugh for stand-up meetings and needing a doc's excuse to be able to sit down. Mind-blowingly inconsiderate. Glad you decided not to go back after mat leave is over. I'm thinking about teaching too b/c it seems like it might work well with family demands.

Becky quick condo closing vibes coming your way! Woo hoo! Could you live there while the kitchen is remodeled or would you prefer to move in after it's done? Hooray for having a head-down baby too. I'm thinking about doing a birthing class at a local church (it's just the venue, there's no religious affiliation) but I don't know what birth philosophy they use and don't wanna get mixed up. It doesn't start til early October so I might miss half of the 5 classes anyway, but I feel like I should take a childbirth class b/c that's what pregnant women do.

Emily poor thing with your swollen feet! Mine have been swollen for months. Even before the m/s went away I noticed that stepping out of bed in the morning hurt pretty bad. If that happens to you, it helps to rotate your ankles a few times in each direction before getting out of bed, just to stir up the blood. You might also need new shoes - mine are all too small now. Other suggestions I've seen: cold water, cold wet socks with dry socks on top, drinking more water, eating more salt or less salt, keeping your feet elevated as much as possible. I honestly don't know what works b/c mine are still swollen & hurting, but let me know if you find something that works!

Elizabeth that's crazy that your old friend guessed your baby's name! I hope your reconnection with her lasts a long time too.

Quote:
DH and I both have very common names (Jennifer and Andrew) and decided to pick a name we like instead of one we don't hate just because it's different.
Thanks for putting a different spin on the popular name thing. I found myself so desperately trying to avoid popular names that I was ignoring some of my favorites. All these names that I secretly liked even though they were
weird (Abigail, Olivia, Sophia) are suddenly in the top 10! But if I choose a less popular name just because it's less popular, I'm still letting others dictate what I choose, yk? :

Has anyone found anything that helps keep you focused at work? This is a desperate plea! I know I only have a little bit of research left to do but I'm having such a hard time. I had been putting one experiment off for at least a month, then finally did it last week but screwed it up. Then I did it the next day and screwed it up again, in a different way. I haven't even attempted it this week because I'm scared of messing up again & I can't afford to waste my supplies like that. Are homeopathic things safe during pregnancy? Is anyone doing acupuncture? I'm sure yoga would help if I was good enough at it but even slow preggy yoga is a chore for me now & I'm huffing so much through it that it's not relaxing at all. Waaaah I want my adderall!

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#129 of 303 Old 07-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
Thanks for putting a different spin on the popular name thing. I found myself so desperately trying to avoid popular names that I was ignoring some of my favorites. All these names that I secretly liked even though they were weird (Abigail, Olivia, Sophia) are suddenly in the top 10!

Has anyone found anything that helps keep you focused at work? Are homeopathic things safe during pregnancy? Is anyone doing acupuncture? I'm sure yoga would help if I was good enough at it but even slow preggy yoga is a chore for me now & I'm huffing so much through it that it's not relaxing at all. Waaaah I want my adderall!
Me too on the name thing - both Emily and Jenn helped me get comfortable with just going with the one we both love rather than worrying about how popular it is. It is still letting society dictate our choice, and that's exactly what I'm not comfortable with.

Nope - I still space out at work... Until I stress out and then I'm able to focus out of sheer desperation! Homeopathic stuff - some is safe and some isn't... I have a book called "the birthing year" that has info on that, but I can't find it in print anywhere now. It was loaned to me by my friend/doula... Acupuncture, I hear, is great during pregnancy, but you probably want to make sure the practicioner has experience with pregnancy. I have had huge success with it in the past, but haven't used it while pregnant. Yeah, yoga isn't really doing it for me either. I am much prefering swimming and short walks, but I also know I'm still not getting enough excercise.
#130 of 303 Old 07-16-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Emily, booooo on swollen feet! That's the worst! I think I've had that a few times, though my feet haven't looked swollen, they've felt swollen. Bah.

Elizabeth, that's wonderful that you reconnected with an old friend! I had that experience about a year ago and must say that even though she and I now live 2 hours apart, we kind of just picked up where we left off... and have become good friends again. WOOHOO for bi-weekly appointments! And if you haven't heard about the GTT, you probably passed. They called me within 2 business days to tell me I needed to take the 3-hour.

Dee, I don't know if I'd want to move in before renovations are finished on the condo -- just the thought of workers there while the baby is napping, or when I'm trying to feed her, etc., makes me really anxious. If you can't get into the birthing class at the church, you could check with your doc/midwife to see if they know of any childbirth educators. Good luck!
#131 of 303 Old 07-16-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyphry View Post

Elizabeth, that's wonderful that you reconnected with an old friend! I had that experience about a year ago and must say that even though she and I now live 2 hours apart, we kind of just picked up where we left off... and have become good friends again. WOOHOO for bi-weekly appointments! And if you haven't heard about the GTT, you probably passed. They called me within 2 business days to tell me I needed to take the 3-hour.
I'm glad to hear that you've stayed friends - I'm hoping that we do too. She actually called me today to find out what days to take off for the baby shower. That's got to be a good sign! She also lives a little over 2 hours away, but that's really not that far...

I hope I passed the glucose screening - my doctor's office actually called and left a message at the house on Friday, but the machine cut them off really quickly for some reason. I have been too chicken to call them back, but I hope/think they were just confirming my appointment tomorrow. It bugs me that they call the house - I have told them that my cell is my preferred # - who's home during business hours?
#132 of 303 Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
PiePie I've been thinking about support hose too. Are they just to your calves? I don't think I could stand sleeping in full hose.
yeah, just knee highs. the physical therapist recommended full hose but i thought they would be too hot.

the mw says my cervix is closed. while i have dropped relative to before, the baby is still pretty high. head down, thank god. some hiccups this past week threw me off -- i was afraid (s)he had flipped... i gained a lot of weight in the past week. : my weight gain has been very non-linear. not "too much" overall (yet), but the rates are scary. i was very bad the weekend of my shower.

what are yall doing for high chairs? we just registered for the fisher price rainforest. we also inherited a stokke but the padding does not wipe clean easily, so we'll put off using it until 18 months.
#133 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 AM

BABY BOOKS: I forgot to add: Infant Massage, by V. McClure; The Year After Childbirth, by S. Kitzinger. I do feel that it is so important to attend to ourselves and the physical and especially emotional changes we are about to undergo. If anyone else has any particular elucidating texts in this area, please let me know!
#134 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 02:02 AM

Oooh, I have a lot of catching up to do, but in the meantime can you add me to the list?

pinkorchid2 30 : EDD Mar 2008
#135 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM

PiePie - you are a total book fiend! I can't believe the amount of reading you do! Thanks for sharing all your 'research'.

Emily - I had some feet swelling when I was in Prague visiting the in-laws and the weather was in the 80s but since the weather here has been pretty cool and rainy no swelling. I guess that's the silver lining to not having a real summer I get to avoid elephant legs. My feet do hurt when I get out of bed in the mornings but I don't think they're swollen. I've been thinking handling my extra weight is it.

Also has anyone else's hands ached? My hands are not swollen but they both hurt when I close them into a fist... I don't even know if it's related to pregnancy. Strange.... this pregnancy deal.

Becky - congrats on closing! So exciting!!!

I also get to see my midwife every two weeks starting this week. My baby is head down, funny (and NOT) to feel her feet on my ribs. Or when she turns her body I see what I think is her butt pushed out against my belly.

Soon we will have some more grads! I can't wait to see pics! I'm constantly checking CJ's pics to see lil Ella grow. She looks so happy!

Just an update on names - we still don't have one if our baby is a boy....

Oh and I thought I should let you all know that although I felt really proud of how I handled my mother.... she completely disregarded our conversation and proceeded to buy herself a ticket to visit 25 Sept. I am going to now have to tell her she can't stay with us because hopefully I will have just given birth ... can I just say AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH. It is so disheartening to realize that I don't really exist as a person in my Mother's perception.

I went swimming yesterday and it was heavenly... I also tried a prenatal yoga tape but I got out of breath doing some of the squats... Am I physically prepared for birth when I get out of breath doing 10 squats?

Dee I'm signed up to start our Childbirth class halfway through August with the likelihood that I'll be missing the last 2... but I still want to do it especially because they do a reunion at 6 months to meet everyone's babies, I just love that!
#136 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 AM

PINKORCHID2!!!
#137 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post

Oh and I thought I should let you all know that although I felt really proud of how I handled my mother.... she completely disregarded our conversation and proceeded to buy herself a ticket to visit 25 Sept. I am going to now have to tell her she can't stay with us because hopefully I will have just given birth ... can I just say AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH. It is so disheartening to realize that I don't really exist as a person in my Mother's perception
: : :
#138 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 AM

my latest concern is postpartum exhaustion. i am already exhausted. thurs. night i was really irritable with dh, friday was that meltdown with the client, and saturday i was irritable with my brother and father. in all cases i was able to be calmed down (dh is being great, and my long-suffering father was patient with me (i guess i'm nothing compared to my mother), and my brother just steered clear until i became friendlier), but still, it's not how i want to be. i know what's driving the irritability is tiredness. i keep thinking, "if only i didn't have to work (full-time)," but part of me worries that i just fundamentally lack stamina and will suck at this mothering thing. i talked to my mw yesterday and she said to increase my iron intake. it is possible that although my hemoglobin levels test within the normal range, i am still iron-deficient.
#139 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Thanks PiePie... it sucks! Really.

I'm also concerned about having enough energy for being a parent. I'm anemic and sure I'm pooped even without working fulltime. My fatigue has returned since hitting the 3rd trimester. If you have enough stamina for fulltime work and pregnancy I think you are already doing a lot, girlie! Then add your killer commute... I wouldn't worry too much about stamina of all things!

Btw some time ago someone, maybe Lane, posted some really cute girlie tights with little maryjanes on the feet. I want to buy some of these but I can't find them anywhere!! Can you repost the website? Thanks!!
#140 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM

Pie...I think work stress is different from baby exhaustion... I worry too, about having energy cuz I LOVE my sleep, but I would say that the irritability part of your exhaustion comes from work stress so baby-tired is probably a totally different thing, ya know? How much longer do you have to work? It sounds like a really stressful job.
#141 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 02:04 PM

Pinkorchid! I've been waiting for you! I lurk on the TTC thread sometimes, since that's where I started. Are you excited? How are you feeling?
#142 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM

Hi!

Just popping in to say hello, and say that I'm encouraged and happy to read about everyone's progress!

Hugs to all.

(and I'm hoping to be back here soon!)

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#143 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 05:22 PM

{{{{hugs}}}}} Michelle, I hope you're back here soon too!!

Thanks for the welcome haziluna!

Thanks Grace! I am feeling really good. I sort of feel guilty and/or scared that I'm not really feeling much change. The tests keep showing up positive, my temps are still up (I'm still charting), and I feel twinges here and there. I'm hungry a lot, but other than that I feel really good.
#144 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 PM

Welcome Pinkorchid! I didn't really feel any kind of m/s or really anything different until I was about 6 or 7 weeks, enjoy it while it lasts that's all I can say .

I'm not feeling that sick anymore the last couple of days (touch wood) but I'm still sooooo exhausted. I think more than I was a few weeks ago even, getting out of bed at 5:15 for work is really difficult. I only have a week and a half until I'm on holidays for two weeks (going to visit my mom and stay at the cottage the whole time yay!) so I'm counting the days.
#145 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 06:25 PM

Natalie - I'm so sorry about your mom not hearing you. That just sucks... Keep sticking up for yourself. Oh, and I don't know about the tights that you saw before, but I am registered for a package of Trumpette mary jane tights with a local store. They are ADORABLE!!! The Trumpette website isn't very good, but you might do a search to see who else sells them. The store I am registered with seems to have a better selection than even the Trumpette site, but I bet you can find them...

Pie - I honestly think that baby stress will be so different from the combination of work/pregnancy stress you're under right now. Yeah, babies are hard, but you'll be able to just focus on taking care of the baby and yourself. I bet you'll be fine, but I totally understand your worry! I go from super-stressed about having her to super calm and excited. Go figure. I think that the 3rd trimester hormones are kicking in for me, too. I'm finally acting like a pregnant woman - impatient and crying easily.

Pinkorchid - Welcome!!! I didn't "feel" pregnant until the 20 week u/s! Even when I was a mess with m/s I didn't really feel pregnant, just sick. It takes it a while to sink in - then it's the most amazing thing ever! It was very academic for me at first, though...

Jenn - I'm so glad you're beginning to feel better. Once that happens, it just gets a little better every day until suddenly you feel okay!

Speaking of moodiness and worry - my glucose screening was 163. Definitely high enough to warrant the GTT. Ugh... I'm kind of annoyed at how vehement people are on these... I agree that no one would ever ingest 100 grams of glucose, especially on an empty stomach. But, I also don't want to have GD and not know it... So, after a LONG talk with my doctor I'm going to do it and pray that it comes back fine. I'm actually a little nervous because that would explain my weight gain, since I'm really not eating too much. He was open to letting me just proceed as if I have it, but he thought there was like a 70% chance it would come back fine, so it's easier to waste one morning than to go ahead with treatment if I don't need to. Made sense to me... I am also going to REFUSE to listen to how awful it is. It's a few blood draws (not fun, but it's not that awful) and a bunch of sugar. It's not like it's a freaking spinal tap or anything! It'll be FINE. Right? Yeah - fine...
#146 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Hi Michelle! We miss you! I hope you can get back here soon too. How are your llamas?

Pinkorchid, I did a million pg tests cuz I just didn't feel pregnant either. I had nausea from 6 to 9 weeks, food aversions a few weeks beyond that, but mostly was just sleeping a lot. It takes a while to sink in!

Elizabeth...sorry you have to do the test again, ew. Don't worry, you'll live through it! And it's not the end of the world if you have it, either. Good luck honey, I'm sorry it's turned out this way. Hopefully the extended test is fine! :

Natalia...ooh, that would infuriate me! Make her stay in a hotel! My mom's flipped around and suddenly wants to know when she can come out and "help". I said, I thought you didn't want to? She said, "But that's what the mother's supposed to do!" Argh. I assured her I'd be fine, Paul's staying home with me for a month. Just when I get used to not needing her, she wants me to need her so she can pull the rug out again. I definitely think your mom should stay in a hotel! Coming when you asked her not to? Heck no!

Well in other news...I've got a Bradley teacher now, we have to take privately cuz of our schedule but we're going to start in September and I'm really excited! I finally talked on the phone with our new doula the other day, she's totally awesome and has given me so much confidence in my ability to do this naturally, so I'm seeing this totally differently. I called the nearby birthing center but they're full for Nov. so I'm 3rd on a waiting list. I should've decided earlier that this was how I wanted to do this, eh? Oh well, fingers crossed. The receptionist says people transfer out all the time, not to worry. I hope I can get in there, it seems a much more comfy way to do this.

I just had a massage (drool) but now I have to go play the show and undo all her hard work.
#147 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 07:01 PM

Hi everyone!

Welcome and congrats, Pinkorchid!

I'm with everyone on the worrying about exhaustion more lately. My easy yoga tape is now tiring -- how can I make it through labor? One night of 4 hours of sleep last week threw me off for the rest of the week. How can I make it through weeks of no sleep with a new baby? However... I do believe that I can do both of those things, in spite of worries sometimes.

It wasn't me who posted those cute socks, but they are by Trumpette! http://trumpette.com/store/index.cfm...8AF3C9615B54BC
(Oh Elizabeth already got here -- you can find them on Amazon or Ebay or probably a dozen other places.)

Oh, congrats on closing, Becky! That's so very exciting.

I survived my baby shower. It was nice, all things considered. One of the nicest parts was that everyone had been asked to bring their favorite baby/kids book, and to inscribe it. Although people were worried, there were no duplicates (except for maybe a couple of Dr. Seuss books). We ended up with some amazing books, a nice range from little kids to lovely older kid's books, some I'd never heard of. Pop-in-law made us a bookshelf.

My mom had invited some old high school friends. I wish I could say we reconnected, but in truth I didn't have that much time to talk with them. It was kind of awkward, yet still was nice of them to come. Perhaps I will see them more now, but even if not, I treasure the books they gave my kid.

It was a super sunny day and was nice to have the tent in the backyard, and all the flowers in our yard and the neighbor's yards were blooming, and there were games and ridiculous decorations, but nothing too bad. One thing though: SUGAR. Massive amounts. (I didn't actually eat that much... but it bothered me to have my refrigerator inundated with such un-preggo-friendly foods, speaking of the glucose screening stuff) We still have tons of cake leftover, and all the prizes for the games were candy.

We got some nice stuff (my dissertation director got me this
http://www.piccolinionline.com/pinkbunny.html which I love and it's kind of fun to tell people my dissertation direcor bought me a pink bunny. Also check out this pop-up book, which is INCREDIBLE http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-P.../dp/0763622303 and this comforter feels amazing and is probably the fanciest thing we got; thank you, brother in law's rich girlfriend!
http://www.amazon.com/Bowron-Sheepsk.../dp/B0007CS4AY ), and not TOO much of the petroleum plasticy stuff we don't want. On the other hand, we didn't get a lot of the practical stuff, like a Boppy or items for cloth diapering. No matter; we can get that ourselves. (I immediately ordered the swaddling blanket I want but didn't get, which was fun; I haven't ordered anything for the baby in months!) We did get a couple of truly hideous items of clothing. Some of the neatest stuff to get were hand me downs. Friends had wrapped a well-loved toy their son had picked out for us, which had been a favorite when he was a baby.

Then I was so pooped from the weekend that I had to play hooky from both of my classes yesterday, and today I feel better than I have lately.
#148 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Becky good point on moving after the renovations are complete. Hopefully they'll get done quickly and you'll have a place to call you own.

PiePie I added those other books to the list too - thanks! I'm not registered for a high chair because I'll probably move before I use it, but I like the idea of the high chairs that sit inside regular chairs. The Stokkes are supposed to be really nice & the website says the fabric can be machine washed. I guess it's easier to just wipe it down though... can you use it without the cushion for a little while? Like others have said, don't worry about the postpartum exhaustion right now. It'll probably be a breeze after the crazy schedule you have right now combined with pregnancy!

Natalia I'm sorry your mom didn't listen to you. My gosh I would be so mad and sad and frustrated. My hands hurt too and I can't grip as well as I used too. I had to take my wedding ring off weeks ago b/c of the swelling. Pregnancy is weird, huh? Glad you go to go swimming - I've heard it helps with all the bloating/swelling so it might be good to swim more often if you hands bother you. I think the anemia we both have makes yoga harder. I just can't catch my breath! The squats in my prenatal yoga vid were really tough for me too and I wondered how I'll ever give birth. You're not alone in those worries! Congrats on picking a girl name - it's much nicer to say it that way instead of worrying about how you haven't chosen a boy name. Oh yeah those Mary Jane socks were Trumpette brand like Elizabeth mentioned. They have them at Baby Universe or you can google it to see who ships to NL.

Speaking of anemia - I found out that prunes increase iron absorption. They also decrease the side effects of iron, know what I mean? I went up to 2 iron pills a day 2 weeks ago after my anemia diagnosis but stopped pretty quickly after experiencing the side effects. Yeah, the big H. How embarrassing and also uncomfortable. So yesterday I found a bottle of Gentle Iron which are pills that include vitamin C and folate along with a form of iron that supposed to have fewer side effects. And I bought a box of prunes to go with it.

Welcome PinkOrchid! Glad you're still feeling well.

Michelle
I miss having you around here! Looking forward to having you back soon.

Sarah good to hear you're feeling better. Two weeks off at your mom's cottage sounds wonderful.

Elizabeth I'm sorry you have to do the GTT now. I have a doc appointment on Thursday and I'm pretty sure we're going to have that talk then. I've been gaining a lot of weight too so I wonder about GD, but I really try not to eat much sugar. Is it even possible to gain 3.5 lbs in one week? In fact, I've never really had a sweet tooth (just a fat tooth haha). Hopefully the worry will be worse than the actual test. It's just a soda and a couple pin pricks, right? You'll be fine. I will too.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#149 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Is it even possible to gain 3.5 lbs in one week?
yes, i am here to say that it is possible to gain 5 lbs. in a week. i have done it not once but twice. recently. : :
#150 of 303 Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 PM

That's how I seem to gain weight too... nothing, then all at once it'll APPEAR to be a four-pound gain over yesterday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page