Funny movies about pregnancy & birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-04-2007, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 33 weeks pregnant and am looking forward to a planned homebirth. I've been thinking about ways to take advantage of the home birth setting and make things as comfortable and pleasant as possible, including ways to distract myself during early labor or waiting for labor to start ... so one of my thoughts was that I love funny movies, so maybe I could find some good comedies to watch while waiting for the baby to make her appearance. Any suggestions? Especially for comedies related to pregnancy/birth/new baby. Thanks!
#2 of 24 Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 PM

Umm not quite sure.. I know the old movie Parenthood or something like that.. I think it has Robin Williams?? maybe? I dunno.. but its funny is a good one..

When I was in labor I think I would have thrown the tv out the window if it even made a noise lmao..
#3 of 24 Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 PM

I love the movies Fun with Dick and Jane and 40 Year Old Virgin. I'm not sure what kind of humor you're into, but these two crack me up!

Mama to DD 4/07 and DS 1/11.  Missing my Zejah Grace (Born sleeping at 39 weeks 6 days) 2/3/10
#4 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 AM

I would go to the movies and see Knocked Up, I saw it and it was hilarious. I don't know, it might be on video in 7 weeks. Then you should rent it. Great idea, I might do that when I start labor...in December, gosh so far away. Good luck!

Knocked Up--all about preg/birth, hilarious.
#5 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molive View Post
I would go to the movies and see Knocked Up, I saw it and it was hilarious. I don't know, it might be on video in 7 weeks. Then you should rent it. Great idea, I might do that when I start labor...in December, gosh so far away. Good luck!

Knocked Up--all about preg/birth, hilarious.
OMG I have been dying to see this but it seems like something comes up everytime dh and I plan to go.. either a kid gets sick or my mom (babysitter) gets sick or we end up doing something else.. its sad.. I cant wait to see it though, it looks hilarious!
#6 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 11:42 AM

*just popping my head in. I don't belong here*

Father of The Bride Two. You know, that one movie about the guy (Steve Martin?) who's wife and daughter are both pg? Very funny.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#7 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM

See Knocked Up! It made me !
And it has a nice ending!

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#8 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Am I the only person that hated Knocked Up? My DH and I actually walked out!
I usually love those kinds of movies, but i thought it was so shallow (sorry to the gals that loved it- theres plenty of shallow movies I love but not this one) I was so excited to see a movie about birth in the mainstream, but I was really disappointed.....I could go on and on about it, but I know its a bit off topic...

Mama to 2: 2twins.gif 12/7 and 9/10
#9 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 01:00 PM
g&a

3 men and a baby! I know, a little old, but I haven't seen it in years, and would probably be funny for different reasons now. Plus there aren't an bad birthing scenes which I think would remind you how mainstream birthing goes.

There is an article on mothering somewhere about watching terminator while birthing. You know, the whole 'strong woman' thing. I think I might do that. or "Kill Bill", one of my all-time favourites. I guess it depends if my 3 year old is around or not, as neither of those would be appropriate for her!

Let us know what you pick, and how it goes.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#10 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 01:02 PM

I'm usually middle-of-the-road person, liberal in some aspects and conservative in others (a 5 on the scale), and I surprisingly liked Knocked Up. Dh knew I didn't care for that genre, and he was a bit embarrassed in the theater for me. I wouldn't watch it again (maybe on TV so I don't get the rude stuff), but I thought it was one of the best of its genre.

The many bad words were hard on my ears and sensitivity. But I could still appreciate the underlying messages, good story and the most accurate portrayal of pregnany and birth I've seen so far. As a childbirth educator, I was impressed by the labor section and the way the new father handled outside influences. Bravo.

I also think Nine Months is a funny movie (more my style) with Hugh Grant. The labor and birth is very unrealistic and mainstream, though. I also liked Father of The Bride Two.
#11 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Parenthood with Steve Martin is a great one (as a PP mentioned). Not so much about pregnancy/birth but parenting in general. It is very heartwarming. And the last scene with all the babies actually brought tears to my eyes once (yes I was pg ).
#12 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 02:12 PM

There's a French film The Slightly Pregnant Man (or something like that) that's a bit old but I thought it was funny. Mostly just ridiculous-funny.
#13 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 02:57 PM

One of my favourites is simply called "expecting". It's a CDN movie with Colin Mochrie in it and it's awesome....and it's all about a homebirth!!!!
#14 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 03:50 PM

'Knocked Up' was awesome! If you liked The 40 yr. Old Virgin, you'll love this one. Same dry, realistic humor. DH and I are still quoting it.

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10
#15 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 04:40 PM

I just wanted to second "Father of the Bride, Part II" and "Nine Months." They are two of my favorite pregnancy related comedies.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#16 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 05:50 PM

Iloved "Nine Months"...

yall forgot about "Junior" with Arnold haha...

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#17 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Father of the bride 2
Nine moths
Look who's talking
Look who's talking 2
Parenthood (old, but great!)
Labor of love - The Arlette Schweitzer Story (not exactly fun, but great non-the-less!)
The house of the spirits (Meryl Streep's low-key approach to her impending birth is, well, strengthening!)
Fools rush in (certainly out of hospital birth!)
Ronia, the robber's daughter (Swedish family film, by author of Pippi Longstocking. In the first scenes, Ronia's mother is giving birth to her, at home on a stormy night, singing the baby out!)
Three men and a baby
Fried green tomatoes (has a seen where a baby has just been born at home)
Baby Boom (about adapting to motherhood, not birth)
Big business (begins with the birth in the country hospital when the two sets of twins are born and mixed up)
#18 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 PM

She's having a baby- Kevin Bacon
For Keeps - Molly Ringwald

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#19 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 PM

taking notes. we all need things to distract us during early labor!
#20 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 PM

I LOVED Knocked Up! It is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. The humor was definitely "raunchy" (as my mom would say) but I kind of liked that about it. DH was a little annoyed that the men in the movie were such losers (and some of the characters were kind of one dimensional) but some of them turn out to be good in the end.

I am 4 months away, but after reading birth books all evening I feel like the last movie I would want to see while in labor is one involving birth. Maybe an empowering woman movie like A League of Their Own or Bend it Like Beckham. Something with strong women and a nice happy ending.

Or Stick It - anyone seen this kick ass gymnastics movie? It psyches me up.

Hmm...I guess I'm envisioning birth as some kind of athletic event.
#21 of 24 Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 PM

I rented some of my favorite comedies for labor. When my mom stuck one in the dvd player I yelled, "TURN THAT DAMN THING OFF!!!"
#22 of 24 Old 07-06-2007, 12:08 AM

Meet the Fockers... not about birth, I know, but it has the whole thing with Robert DeNiro trying to Ferberize the baby and everyone else secretly undermining him. I think maybe Ben Stiller's wife is pregnant in that one, too...

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#23 of 24 Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Is this movie a comedy and the mama to be has a homebirth and has a whole bunch of folks there and nobody knows who the father is? Been trying to find a movie that is a homebirth and a comedy and she has a whole bunch of folks there at the home birth it looked like a riot!!  It is an older film maybe around 2000??

#24 of 24 Old 12-06-2013, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappydeer View Post

Am I the only person that hated Knocked Up? My DH and I actually walked out!
I usually love those kinds of movies, but i thought it was so shallow (sorry to the gals that loved it- theres plenty of shallow movies I love but not this one) I was so excited to see a movie about birth in the mainstream, but I was really disappointed.....I could go on and on about it, but I know its a bit off topic...

I HATED it! I didn't watch the entire thing, either. 

I love the Friends season where Rachel is pregnant and watch it a lot while I'm pregnant. I also really like Baby Mama. I watched Friends in early labor with my daughter and colored, haha

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page