has anyone had acupuncture to help with labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm 41+ weeks and i have an appointment tomorrow with any prenatal acupuncturist after i see my midwife. i'm going to have my midwife check me(my first VE) and make sure baby and momma are ready and possibly get my membranes sweeped. i have tried everything except castor oil to encourage this stop and go labor. i will consider castor oil only as a last resort to keep from having a hospital induction. i've had acupuncture done when i was younger so i know what the pins feel like. for those of you who have tried it for labor, did it work? how did it feel? how soon did you go into labor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg-momto2 View Post
i'm 41+ weeks and i have an appointment tomorrow with any prenatal acupuncturist after i see my midwife. i'm going to have my midwife check me(my first VE) and make sure baby and momma are ready and possibly get my membranes sweeped. i have tried everything except castor oil to encourage this stop and go labor. i will consider castor oil only as a last resort to keep from having a hospital induction. i've had acupuncture done when i was younger so i know what the pins feel like. for those of you who have tried it for labor, did it work? how did it feel? how soon did you go into labor?

It worked vy well, felt good, though I would advise starting an acupuncture treatment regime before the last moment (which it sounds like you did), just to get you ready for the labor itself, it does work very well, I went into labor one day after tx (i always go two weeks too late). And had a good normal l& d.

Good luck, I know being late is rough!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:03 AM

I do love acupuncture - I think it helped us conceive after months of trying. BUT, it didn't help me go into labor. I tried it when I was 40 weeks pregnant and nothing. I finally went into labor after having my membranes swept (at 41w3days). It can hurt to try though!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:26 AM

What about acupuncture during labor for pain management? Has anyone tried this?

I've never had acupuncture, but am looking for pain relief alternatives as I'm trying for a drug-free non-epidural labor this time.

I'm nervous because my labors have all been very long and intensly painful. I tried a natural birth with my first but eventually caved after 20 hours of grueling labor with no breaks and only 4 cen dilated. With my next two births I was so scared about the pain I didn't even try for a natural birth. This time around will probably be my last and I'm determined to not get an epidural, and not be in the hospital even. I'd love to be at home.

Sorry I started to veer off course. Now about acupuncture...
Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUM View Post
It worked vy well, felt good, though I would advise starting an acupuncture treatment regime before the last moment (which it sounds like you did), just to get you ready for the labor itself, it does work very well, I went into labor one day after tx
When would you ideally start txs?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliantmama View Post
When would you ideally start txs?
At least a month before, if not sooner. Also I would continue after to help support the body.

I think it can help with pain, and definitely relaxes you which is a component with the pain, the more relaxed you are, the less stressed, less uncomfortable.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 PM

my mws say at 37 w.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:07 PM

Cherona, have you looked into hypnobabies for pain management during childbirth?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:32 PM

I'd love to hear how it goes too.

I've seen my acupuncturist through both pregnancies (and for fertility treatment for DS1...got pg the first month with her!). I have an appointment this Friday to help with labor (I'll be 39w3d, DS1 came at 39w5d).

She has also offered pain relief at the hospital and I plan to take her up on that

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn
Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherona View Post
What about acupuncture during labor for pain management? Has anyone tried this?
I've heard of it, but I don't know anyone who has. I would worry that with the needles in, I wouldn't be able to get up and move around. I don't know where they stick the needles, though.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
I've heard of it, but I don't know anyone who has. I would worry that with the needles in, I wouldn't be able to get up and move around. I don't know where they stick the needles, though.
Actually, they dont necessarily stick the needle in and leave it. A gentle light needling (so you would not even feel it) to certain points would probably be what would happen, or moxabustion, or even shiatsu. Probably best to talk to a licensed acupuncturist about it. I'm a bit surprised how unknown acupuncture still is as a modality. Asking questions and learning is very important.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:57 AM

Rebecca, Thanks for the suggestion.

I haven't looked into Hypnobabies yet but have thought about it.

My only hesitation is a friend of mine did the whole hypnobirth thing, and was very positive about it throughout her pregnancy but still ended up getting an epidural after many hours of labor. It kinda scared me off. I really want something that works!

-Cheri
Old 07-12-2007, 03:23 PM

I found an article in the peer-reviewed journal Birth that describes the use of acupuncture and sterile water injections for relaxation and pain relief in Sweden. Apparently, both are widespread in Sweden, acupuncture providing both relaxation and pain relief, and the water injections being used only for pain relief.

It's in Birth, Volume 33 Issue 4 Page 289-296, December 2006. (Birth is published by Blackwell--you might need to get it from a university library...)

User Tag List