Posterior position...39 weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-03-2003, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 39 weeks and my little one is still in the posterior position. My midwives have given me a list of exercises that I can try to change the positioning and after a week, they still have not helped. I am having a natural delivery in a free-standing birth center and have been told that posterior position will set me up for a very painful and long labor. I would obviously like to avoid that if possible! Does anyone know of any other ways to turn this little guy and get things rolling?
#2 of 10 Old 07-04-2003, 01:24 AM

I would check out this website, it may have some more suggestions.

http://www.spinningbabies.com/

Good luck!
#3 of 10 Old 07-04-2003, 01:38 AM

My dd was posterior until about an hour before she was born (I had already been pushing for 2 hrs) so I'm very paranoid about this new one being posterior. My midwife suggested doing 20 pelvic rocks every night before bed, then laying on my left side as I go to sleep. I've also read you should avoid sitting in cushy, reclining chairs--try sitting in the tailor position on the floor as often as possible. And try not to sleep on your back. Good luck to you. I hope that baby spins around for ya!

peace, Beth
#4 of 10 Old 07-04-2003, 09:48 AM

Oh yes, that Spinning Babies site is awesome! It said everything I was about to say, thank you Beth, I have filed it away for future clients!

Also I wanted to add that many midwives in my area recommend homeopathic pulsatilla at 200c.

Good luck and turn baby turn!

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#5 of 10 Old 07-04-2003, 10:41 AM

Here are two more sites on optimal foetal positioning.

posterior babes

another one

Good luck!
Golden
#6 of 10 Old 07-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

I gave birth naturally to a posterior baby. So, it can be done. (It was painful but it was my only natural birth, so I have nothing to compare it to.)

My obgyn did have to break my water, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the baby being posterior or not.

My doulas put heat packs on the small of my back, and my dh pushed on the small of my back, through every contraction. That really helped me get through the pain.
#7 of 10 Old 07-04-2003, 01:36 PM

Sheena

Sarah actually provided the link, not me. Just wanted to give credit where it's due...

Also wanted to add that my little posterior dd was a natural homebirth. My midwife's assistant did very hard counterpressure to my back during contractions which helped. They also did hot compresses and I labored a lot in the bath tub. Looking back, I think it would have helped more if I had been more upright (I was laying on my left side in the tub) and walking around.

My midwife also had to break my water (I'd been pushing for a while once she did it--I'm not sure if it helped move things along or not). I wonder if being posterior has anything to do with that...

Thanks, Golden, for the other links. I want to do everything possible to avoid another back labor!

peace, Beth
#8 of 10 Old 07-05-2003, 09:47 AM

My DD wasn't posterior until the day before she was born. It worried me a great deal because of all the horror stories I had heard. We had a homebirth and I know it would have been much more difficult in a hospital. I crawled around on my hands and knees and LOVED my exercise/birth ball. My labor never got really bad and was only 6 hours. When my water broke (on it's own) she rotated 180 degrees. She was born 10 minutes later. She was no longer posterior but was a compound presentation - both head and arm. That was much worse than the whole labor but still not TOO bad. Try not to worry too much. I just did my deep breathing and Dh applied counter pressure and everything was fine. If this one were posterior I wouldn't worry at all.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#9 of 10 Old 07-05-2003, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the links. I am going to try out all the suggestions and hopefully by my midwife appointment on Monday I will have some good news! Otherwise I will just wait it out and birth a posterior baby!
Thanks for the reassurance and advice
#10 of 10 Old 07-06-2003, 10:11 AM

My dd was posterior up until 39 weeks.

I had been having horrible back pain for weeks and none of the baby-turning techniques I had tried were working. I decided to try accupuncture and it worked. She turned within a couple hours and stayed in the right position til she was born at 40w5d.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page