Henna During Pregnancy . . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-14-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all - I have read that henna tattoos are safe during pregnancy so long as you're not using the black henna.

I would love to learn how to do my own henna tattoos but am skeptical about choosing any random supplier off of the web to order supplies.

Anyone here have a recommendation for an online supplier for henna? And does anyone have a recipe they would be willing to share with me? I'm just looking to practice on myself and my family

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbemish View Post
Hi all - I have read that henna tattoos are safe during pregnancy so long as you're not using the black henna.

I would love to learn how to do my own henna tattoos but am skeptical about choosing any random supplier off of the web to order supplies.

Anyone here have a recommendation for an online supplier for henna? And does anyone have a recipe they would be willing to share with me? I'm just looking to practice on myself and my family

Thanks!
Start here for step-by-step teaching. This site is fantastic!

I order my supplies from Henna Muse but I get them from her Ebay (cheaper.) If i were you, I'd buy this kit for starters.

I am currently loving Rajasthani henna. I mix it with lemon juice, a couple Tbsp sugar, and one drop of TTO or cajeput per gram of henna, then let it mature on my counter 24-48 hours (very important.) Then I strain it through a stcking into a carrot bag, load up some cones, and get going.

Some great henna pics/patterns:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/7enna/pool/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/51035652746@N01/pool/

http://www.winnipeghenna.com/

I think we need a henna tribe! I'll go start one.

ETA: I think Henna Muse has info on which EOs are best for pregnant women, so check there.
#3 of 8 Old 07-14-2007, 06:35 PM

Possibly stupid question--are there "stencils" out there for something like a belly design? I'd love to get my belly henna-ed this summer but DH and I aren't great free-hand artists (plus I can't see the lower half of the belly, lol). I'm sure there are artists are our Renaissance faire but I'm not sure if I want to bare my stretch marks for a crowd, so if we could do it at home, it'd have to be using some kind of stencil and just "filling in" the open spots!

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#4 of 8 Old 07-14-2007, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Henna is totally safe during pregnancy! I get my supplies from these people:
http://www.shopbeachcombers.com/stor...39600&c=668942
I suggest contacting them directly because they're very willing to throw in extras, especially on first time orders!

Also, you can apply the henna to wax paper and then transfer it if you don't want to do free hand. So you could do the design with a stencil on wax paper and then transfer it. You should let it set just a little before you try to transfer or it might run, but then if you apply a henna oil before you apply the transfer, and spray it good with spray bandage to hold it on good, it should turn out fine!
#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post
Possibly stupid question--are there "stencils" out there for something like a belly design? I'd love to get my belly henna-ed this summer but DH and I aren't great free-hand artists (plus I can't see the lower half of the belly, lol). I'm sure there are artists are our Renaissance faire but I'm not sure if I want to bare my stretch marks for a crowd, so if we could do it at home, it'd have to be using some kind of stencil and just "filling in" the open spots!
I googled "henna stencils" and there are a lot of sites, so poke around and see what you can find. Some were perfect for the belly. But seriously, the Henna Page has such fabulous instructions that you don't have to be a freehand artist to really do a good job. So don't rule that out.

BTW, ladies, I did start a henna tribe too so come visit there.
#6 of 8 Old 07-14-2007, 07:55 PM
PPK

I henna and indigo my hair, I started right when I found out I was pg, and will never go back to other dyes. Do be careful of what type you get, not all are pure henna. I've found the best pure quality to be Jamila (intended for skin). I hope this link works..it will direct you to Castle Imports and their info, they are who you find the Jamila through. Just scroll down a few suppliers. hennaforhair is a great website to find suppliers through and tons of info (sorry, mostly about hair!) http://www.hennaforhair.com/suppliers/index.html
#7 of 8 Old 07-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Hi there,
I'm a professional pregnancy henna artist in Ann Arbor, MI. Yes, henna itself is safe in pregnancy - Black Henna or anything other than the natural red-brown of real henna is definitely NOT safe. Be wary of what else comes in your kit. I use only lemon juice, organic honey, decaf tea, and lavender oil. Bellies are difficult to stain because the skin is so thin (and more so in pregnancy), but over my experience I've been able to get a good stain for around 2 weeks. You're welcome to use any of my designs at my website for your own personal use:

www.bellybeautifulhenna.com

My work is mostly custom design based heavily on symbolism for the woman's birth intentions and representing her support people. Get creative and honor your beautiful bellies! One tip: use washable marker to draw out the design first since your belly changes a LOT from sitting to standing. Then just trace over it with paste.
#8 of 8 Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited to try it out :

I ordered some supplies yesterday so hopefully they won't take too long to get to me!

You ladies are awesome! I'll post pics if I get any good at this

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page