Spotting and carrying heavy stuff? Help needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not very sure exactly how far along I am, but we are guessing around 6weeks +. I had some spotting today, there were little bits of very dark red thin muscousy stuff, and a little more of pinkish red (not exactly bright red) stuff in thinner mucousy texture (sorry for the details, I just wanted to be specific). I experienced MS since 1-2 weeks back and its still going on, can I take that as a good sign?

Thing is, I called the nurse at my gynea's office earlier to make an appt to see them tomorrow, and she told me to avoid intercourse and not to carry *anything* heavy at all, including my nearly-3 year old DD. Is this sound advice (the not carrying my DD part)? My Dd is extremely attached to me and I lift/carry her for short periods many times a day. Plus we also live in a walk-up apartment on the 4th level (thats a good 8 flight of stairs!), so when she is really tired or very reluctant to walk, I do carry her alot. I really dont see how I can refrain from carryng her completely. And she is really excited about the new baby and all, I dont wanna tell her that I cant carry her anymore because of this, I'm worried it will turn her off. Advice anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM

I really don't know. I know that my doctor when I was spotting told me that there was no point in doing anything to try avoid a miscarriage -- if I would miscarry it was boung to happen anyway. Other health professionals told me otherwise. When I started spotting with this pregnancy, I didn't help at all with carrying boxes (we were moving right around when I found out I was pregnant despite having bled for the past two weeks) but I didn't stop carrying my 19 lb son.

HOWEVER, if you choose not to hold your DD (who is probably a lot heavier than my baby), I wouldn't blame it on the baby. Rather, I would say "Mommy is not feeling well and she doesn't feel like she can hold you today. Would you like to play on the floor together?" I would stay home as much as possible for the next few days to avoid all the climbing even for you alone -- stay off your feet as much as possible. But definitely don't blame it on the baby.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Just around the end of my first trimester (I think...can't remember exactly) I had some spotting after a busy weekend and lifting a suitcase on and off a cross country flight...I freaked out and took a day off work, just resting and laying on the couch---self prescribed bed rest until I could get in to see the doctor...

I'd go in and see your DR ASAP and in the mean time take it as easy as possible. Maybe tell your daughter you're not feeling well, and spend the day together in bed reading or watching your favorite shows/movies/playing with "easy" toys. Let yourself be taken care of a little until you find out everything is okay from the doctor.

Of course, easier said than done, but if there's anyone that can help out for a day or two while you relax, that would be great too!

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:04 PM

I had early spotting with my first, due to a tear in the wall of my uterus. My job at the time required lifting 60+ lbs, and my dr. said that may have been a contributing factor. They put me on bedrest-no lifting anything, till the tear healed (3 1/2 weeks), then I was on a 20lb. limit the rest of my pregnancy.

If that is the cause of your spotting, lifting can cause it to worsen, so the no lifting advice should probably be followed. If a tear like that worsens, it can cause a lot of problems. Once you find out the true cause, you can adjust your restrictions.

I would personally arrange for a lot of extra help until you get a definitive answer.

I know how you feel, though-I've been on bedrest for both of my previous pregnancies-hoping for better luck this time around!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:10 PM

My boss was doing intermittent lifting of no more than 30 pounds, but when she started spotting and was ordered to stop the lifting, the spotting stopped and she didn't miscarry. I'd play it safe.

User Tag List