Is it important that the baby's name is easy to pronounce - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For my DS who is now 1 year old we chose an English first name and a German/Scandinavian middle name to honor both of our families. We live in teh US of course and DS's first name is easy to pronounce for everybody since it's English. It's not so easy to pronounce for my family since they don't speak English.
We would like to TTC next year and I know it's early to argue about names but I am really liking a certain first name and while DH says he wants to stay with the multi-cultural theme he shoots down all of my ideas because he says people will pronounce it wrong.
It never bothered me when people pronounced my name wrong but of course I was already an adult when I moved to the States.
Do you think my child would suffer with a name like Annika?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 01:59 PM

Annika's not hard to pronounce. I think it's lovely.

I think that it is important for the name to be easily pronounced, because as a child it's frustrating to have to keep correcting your teachers and classmates all the time. I knew a boy named Balaji -- his name wasn't even that hard, but it got mispronounced all the time. He hated it. If he were an adult coming into the American culture, it probably woudn't have been a big deal, but as a kid growing up, it made him constantly feel like an outsider, and that's not a good feeling for a kid.

But it's all in how you approach it. It might not bother some kids as much as others. It's just something to think about. It doesn't have to be an "American" name to be easy to pronounce. Good luck with whatever you choose to name your child!
#3 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbean View Post
Annika's not hard to pronounce.
That's what I thought. DH says people will pronounce it like Anne-ika when it should be 'Ah' more like apple not 'Ae' like Anne. Even if they pronounce it like Anne it shouldn't be totally horrid, right?

Thanks!
#4 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 02:13 PM

I don't see a problem, but my DH would totally side with yours. We had the same problem with my son's name -- DH's name is frequently mispronounced and he hates it; mine is always mispronounced and I don't care. So it just depends on the person.
#5 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't see an issue either. Honestly, most nontraditional names are mispronounced where I live (the south ) at least once, so.....

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#6 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 PM

I don't think that name is all that foreign-looking. I would not be alarmed to see that name, and I would pronounce it like this:

Ah-NEE-kuh

I don't know if that's right or not, but that'd be my first guess. Even if I am wrong, I wouldn't let those types of situations stop you. You can always help guide your daughter on how to feel in such situations. I'd say it's totally manageable and not a big deal.
#7 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 02:44 PM

I've lurked here for ages but had to post since my daughter's name is, in fact, Annika! We pronounce it AH-nika. (Kind of like Monica without the M.) We love her name and are thrilled with it.

We do have the occasional person call her Anne-ika. (This includes my FIL--he's not trying to be difficult, he just can't quite get the pronunciation into his head.) Sometimes we gently correct them--but more often than not we simply just find a quick way to say her name again and thus get our pronunciation out there.

Honestly, you'd be amazed at what seemingly easy names get mispronounced. My husband's name is Evan and people are always calling here asking for "Evonne." (Not people who know him, of course.) And I'm Gina and I often get "Jeannie/Janie/Jenny."

So I would say a big yes to Annika! (Not that I'm biased or anything...) :

Writer, breast cancer survivor, wife to Evan, Mommy to Annika (infant open adoption 2/3/06), Adrian (homegrown 3/11/08), and #3 due 6/17/10!
#8 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 02:52 PM

I've even seen the name Sean pronounced "seen".

So , really, you can't plan your life based on other people not knowing how to pronounce a name. I mean, you COULD, but why bother!
#9 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 02:55 PM

I went to school with an Annika. I don't consider it unusual or hard to pronounce.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#10 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 03:17 PM

nak

i was expecting some awful, bizarre name....but i really like annika. and this is from a die-hard traditionalist! i say he's being silly.
#11 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM

I actually know a little girl here in SATX named Annika. We pronounce it Ah-NEE-ka. Her parents are form St. Maarten, I think.

There's nothing wrong w/ the name. My name is pretty basic but I've been called Karen, Terry, Kerry, etc. It happens.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#12 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM

DD's name is Marah (like Sarah) Jade. 99.9% of the people who you tell her name say Mary Jane. My three year old learned how to say it properly. If people would just pay attention to what you say you will be fine. Once people learn it they pronounce it like the word car Mar-uh instead of Mare-uh. When I picked the name I didn't know it would be so difficult.
#13 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Alivia's name is pretty straight forward. Until she was born, I NEVER heard ANYONE say Oh-livia...always Uh-livia. Now that she is here, people will ask her name, I will say "Uh-livia" and they will say "Oh-livia! What a beautiful name!" *rollingeyes* Whatever. If I care...if I am going to see them again or talk to them for a while, I correct them. Otherwise, I just let it go.

I think Annika is pretty straight-forward. There are a lot of names that are spelled one way and pronounced two different ways (Caroline: is it Car-o-lin or Car-o-line?), depending on the person. I think it would be fine.

ETA: That reminds me of a girl I go to church with. Her name is Maria. Pretty easy right? Muh-ree-uh.

Nope. It's Ma-rye-uh. :
#14 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, ginadc, I am glad I lured you out of lurkerdom then!
Annika it is.
#15 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 03:55 PM

Aside from, say, "Bob," you pretty much can't guarantee correct pronunciations of any name. Your husband isn't unreasonable to not want something outlandish -- admittedly something like "Ma'anushkassaliana" might cause a few wee problems to the poor child down the road -- but, IMO, he's being a little overly strict about what he's considering to be too far out there. Annika is not so unusual as that, and even if it were it's phonetic enough that the errors won't be exactly earth shattering.

~M (mother to Ziad, who in his two months of life so far has been Zee-odd, Z-eye-add, Z-eye-ah, and Zade. And I haven't smacked anyone down for it yet. )
#16 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 04:03 PM

Okay, now that I'm done feeding DS, I can elaborate

I think that picking a unique (and thereby hard to pronounce) name, strictly for the sake of being unique is ridiculous. (I also detest "unique" spellings....stupid spelling of the day is "Grayce"....but that's another story.) But you are clearly not in this category for several reasons:
1.) It's NOT an off the wall, totally bizarre name.
2.) You're NOT picking just for the sake of uniqueness.
3.) I don't think it's particularly hard to pronounce.

So what I'm trying to say is that I COMPETELY see where your husband is coming from. For the most part, I find "unique" names to be cruel (it's a PERSON, not a puppy, people!), but Annika most definately does NOT fit in that category. I think it's a LOVELY name....and this from a girl who prefers the "boring," "over-done" names like John, Mike, Grace, Leah..... you get the idea.
#17 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 04:08 PM

I think it's a lovely name that wouldn't be that hard to pronounce. I also think while it's unusual, it doesn't sound "weird", so she wouldn't be made fun of.

We worried about proununciation for one of the names on our list (it's a relative's nickname, not a traditional name). If we use it, we'll alter the spelling to make it phonetic, since in English it would be mispronounced a lot.
#18 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 04:39 PM

we would consider using a family name not in anglicized form -- i.e., foreign looking to english speakers but with the original ethnic integrity.
#19 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM

I think Annika is a great name - original and true to the culture you identify with but not too "out there." My son Eyob (pronounced AY uhb) has had his name pronounced MANY different ways, and that's just the way it is. He was 2 1/2 when we adopted him and we were not about to change his name. We love his name and have come to realize that if we have to repeat it a couple of times to people the first time they meet him, so be it. None of his teachers, doctors, etc. have had a problem after the first time. We are considering naming this next baby Solveig (SOUL vay) if it is a girl, and I'm sure the issues will be similar. The bottom line: if it's a name you love that has meaning to you, you should use it. People should be respectful enough to make an effort to learn how to pronounce it correctly. We live in a multi-cultural society.
#20 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 08:19 PM

I want to name my daughter Aiobhlinn. Technically, that's pronounced "Ave-LEEN" but we'd call her Evelyn or Evey. The only reason I'm getting resistance from my husband right now is because it starts with the letter "A", and both of our names start with A so we were trying to avoid A names. I, however, am so enchanted with the spelling that I don't care.

I think your child will have it much better. I worked with a woman named Annika.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#21 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
I want to name my daughter Aiobhlinn. Technically, that's pronounced "Ave-LEEN" but we'd call her Evelyn or Evey. The only reason I'm getting resistance from my husband right now is because it starts with the letter "A", and both of our names start with A so we were trying to avoid A names. I, however, am so enchanted with the spelling that I don't care.
whoa! I can honestly say I've never even SEEN that name before! Where did you find that one? I do like it though. And what language is it from?
#22 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM

I think Annika is easy to pronounce, and is very pretty.
I also feel that an easy to pronounce name is important to kids. It was frustrating to me that people, even to this day, call me christina. My name is Katreena. Everyone still misspells it, too. I found telling people there is a tree in the middle of my name helps, but it's still one thing I have to do to get people to spell my name right.
This is why I gave my daughter's simple names, Abigail and Sophia, spelled the traditional way. I don't want them to have some unnecessary irritation in their life over something so simple as what is your name, how is it pronounced and how is it spelled.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#23 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille76 View Post
whoa! I can honestly say I've never even SEEN that name before! Where did you find that one? I do like it though. And what language is it from?
It's Irish and it's gorgeous. I've seen Aoibhann before, but not Aoibhlinn.
#24 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
It's Irish Gaelic, as a PP pointed out, and to be honest, I found it from a knitting pattern. No Kidding.

The pattern is spelled differently. I was always planning on naming a daughter Evelyn, after my grandmother, but when I found the Gaelic version I fell in love with it. And her middle name will be Ishbel (pro: sheh-BELL), which is a hereditary middle name in my DH's family.

I grew up with a normal name that had a difficult spelling, so my name is CONSTANTLY misspelled. I've found that I can use the spelling of my name as a measure of how much people pay attention, and therefore decide how much respect I'm going to afford them. It does get annoying, especially when someone repeatedly misspells my name, despite my correcting them several times, but my hope is that my daughter will have an easier time, both because her name is SO unusual and because it has such an easy Anglican translation. DH says that's wishful thinking, and I've decided that as long as it's on the birth certificate, I don't really give a damn about anything else.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#25 of 43 Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
It's Irish and it's gorgeous. I've seen Aoibhann before, but not Aoibhlinn.
A lot of Celtic names are spelled nothing like they sound for an American speaking person. Some earlier spellings of Maeve are actually Mebd or Meadhbh.

I wouldn't shy away from a name that is spelled correct for its actual dialect. I think more people should ask how to pronounce something. My maiden name is German and is spelled Erich simply pronounced Eric. However most people assume it is pronounced Eee-rich or Eee-rick.
#26 of 43 Old 07-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Banned

We are naming our little one an Irish name as well, Aislinn (pronounced "Ash-lynn). I know down here in the South, when people see it, they are going to say "Ass-lynn" or "Ice-lynn"...it was a worrying point for me, but my husband said not to worry about it...

my maiden name is a monstrosity, so I'm used to correcting people...
#27 of 43 Old 07-19-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
I grew up with a normal name that had a difficult spelling, so my name is CONSTANTLY misspelled. I've found that I can use the spelling of my name as a measure of how much people pay attention, and therefore decide how much respect I'm going to afford them.
VERY good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really like that outlook on it. I hope you name your baby this name! I really like it!!
#28 of 43 Old 07-19-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliviasmom View Post
ETA: That reminds me of a girl I go to church with. Her name is Maria. Pretty easy right? Muh-ree-uh.
Nope. It's Ma-rye-uh. :
oh puuulllleeeeease! Sounds to me like a person bored with her name!
#29 of 43 Old 07-19-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
~M (mother to Ziad, who in his two months of life so far has been Zee-odd, Z-eye-add, Z-eye-ah, and Zade. And I haven't smacked anyone down for it yet. )
So how DO you say Ziad? : I would've said Z-eye-ad or Zide (like Tide). ...and probably would've been wrong too! but i've love to hear how to correctly pronounce it!
#30 of 43 Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
So how DO you say Ziad? : I would've said Z-eye-ad or Zide (like Tide). ...and probably would've been wrong too! but i've love to hear how to correctly pronounce it!
Zee-odd is the closest ... the "odd" is more like a cross between "odd" and "add," and there isn't really a strong emphasis on either syllable but the second is shorter. Does that make sense? Probably not. It's kind of tough to describe sounds in print.

Honestly, my husband and I were just trying to pick a name that would work in the two countries we live between both. I somehow convinced him Ziad fit the bill. I think, for a second child, he's not going to believe me about names in that way again.

User Tag List