I think i just ate bad cheese... what should i do?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about 5 months pg. All my books say avoid things that may have listeria, but they don't say what will happen. Is there anything i can do now? I ate a slice of pizza that had ricotta on it & only realised after i ate it that it smelled a bit off. It wasn't really awful smelling, but it certainly wasn't fresh.
What should i do now?
#2 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 12:15 PM

I am NOT an expert, but I would guess that you'll be fine. I would drink a lot of water, make sure I took my vitamins, and try not to worry. If you start to feel sick, call your dr or midwife. (Or call now, just for reassurance, if you want.)

I ate some quiche that had been sitting out for several hours last weekend, even though I knew I "shouldn't." I just couldn't resist. All was fine. Our immune systems are geared up for pregnancy and I bet they're able to protect us from a lot of stuff.
#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 PM

I wouldn't worry.

The ricotta was cooked with the pizza wasn't it?

My first I followed the dos and dont for eating.

Second, third and fourth I didn't. I just focused on keeping my body healthy. If its healthy it will fight off bugs well.
#4 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishajane View Post
What should i do now?
You should relax. I'm sure everything will be fine.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#5 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 08:33 PM

I would relax, pregnancy "food rules" vary all over the world. Pregnant women eat raw fish in Japan. I seriously doubt in France they tell them to stop eating soft cheese. And if you think about what cheese is, it's all milk gone bad anyway.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#6 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 PM

The soft cheese rule applies to cheese made with unpasturized milk and almost all domestic cheeses in the US are made with pasturized milk so the danger is almost nonexistant.
#7 of 8 Old 07-22-2007, 10:28 PM

The risk of listeriosis from cheese is from unpasteurized, un-cooked cheese. First of all that ricotta was most likely pasteurized, and second of all it's been cooked. Yes, it's not a great idea to eat food that's past its prime, but the danger is not of listeriosis.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#8 of 8 Old 07-23-2007, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I guess there's nothing much i can do about it now anyway! You're right - the cheese was pasteurised. Here in Australia it's actually illegal to sell unpasteurised cheese! But i wasn't sure what nasties would be lurking in it, so thanks for the ever wonderful advice!
Trish

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page