Water vs. Carbonated Water? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is drinking water the same as drinking carbonated water? I'm a water drinker but am looking for a little variety while I'm pregnant.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 PM

i would stay away from carbonated water because the phosphorus (the carbonation) competes with calcium therefore preventing complete calcium abosrption. the only way i think it is a good idea is if it settles your stomach with morning sickness and then once the m/s goes away i would switch back to good old water.
#3 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 PM

I drink mostly SanPeligreno (a sparkling water) because regular water makes me totally nauseous. I don't think there is enough phos in sparkling water to make that much of a difference with calcium absorbtion. However, I also end up getting alot of extra calcium though because of all the TUMS I take for heartburn so it even if it was I would never notice.
#4 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 PM

There are a couple of natural sparkling (naturally carbonated) waters that have a good amount of calcium and other minerals as well. That would be just as good if not better than regular water, esp if you drink ultra purified or reverse osmosis water.

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

#5 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 08:27 PM

I drink mostly seltzer or sparkling water right now. Plain water makes me really nauseaus unless it is super ice cold. I do take calcium supplements though.
#6 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I drink seltzer as well as plain (but very cold) water. The seltzer helped get me off soda and for a while was about the only way I could get enough water down, esp. since I've been so sick this whole pregnancy.
#7 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 PM

My midwife suggested seltzer water as a healthy alternative to sugar drinks. I put lime in it. Yum.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#8 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 PM

I use my soda club and drink all my water bubbly - but it is regular tap water to begin with unless I make to the spring by my mom's house. It helps with the flavor I find objectionable locally and keeps me from buying bottle after bottle (even if I do recycle them).

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#9 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 PM

I drink a glass of cranberry juice (or other juices) mixed with seltzer water when I'm totally bored with plain water. I do drink a TON of water though, which I NEVER did before I got pg.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#10 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHammy View Post
However, I also end up getting alot of extra calcium though because of all the TUMS I take for heartburn so it even if it was I would never notice.
Be careful. That's the wrong "kind" of calcium you need. You want calcium citrate. Also, the calcium in Tums can cause kidney stones.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#11 of 14 Old 07-26-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinc View Post
i would stay away from carbonated water because the phosphorus (the carbonation) competes with calcium therefore preventing complete calcium abosrption. the only way i think it is a good idea is if it settles your stomach with morning sickness and then once the m/s goes away i would switch back to good old water.
There is no phosphorus in carbonated water. The carbonation from selter water is from carbon dioxide hence the term carbonation.

I think the phosphorus you may be thinking of is from coca cola or pepsi in which they add phosphoric acid to.

Carbonated water is just as good as still water. CO2 is not a hinderance to any biological function in your body.

My Ph.D is in chemistry by the way.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#12 of 14 Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 AM

Gerolsteiner is great! It's 8% calcium per serving (for non-preggos); I get charley-horses when I stop drinking it. (I can't have diary right now.) It's pretty reasonably priced for mineral water. I would definitely advise making sure your water, sparkling or still, is full of minerals, they way it's supposed to be.
#13 of 14 Old 07-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena View Post
Gerolsteiner is great! It's 8% calcium per serving (for non-preggos); I get charley-horses when I stop drinking it. (I can't have diary right now.) It's pretty reasonably priced for mineral water. I would definitely advise making sure your water, sparkling or still, is full of minerals, they way it's supposed to be.
That's great about Gerolsteiner! DH drinks it all the time, and I'll start drinking moer of it. (We buy it in cases at TJs.)

Thanks for your input, Inspired.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#14 of 14 Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM

I CRAVE mineral water during pregnancy. I've always assumed it must be good for me (the trace minerals).

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page