Vaginal funk (TMI) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At almost 30 weeks... I just smell all the time. I'm not sure if it's vaginal or urinary odor. But, damn, I have no idea what to do about it. I change my underwear three times a day. But, I literally sit down to pee or sit down with no pants on--and the smell just goes EVERY WHERE! Blech.

My husband suggested that perhaps if/when I shave or trim my pubes really well it's not so bad--but I tried last week and ended up with a bunch of ingrown hairs and I just can't deal with shaving around a belly every 3 days. And, well, he's not good at helping me to do it...

So, I'm sitting here thinking about the fact that I can't really pin point the smell. I haven't had sex in a week--but when we have sex it's REALLY, REALLY BAD. But, it occured to me that maybe I should see my midwife or the OB and have them make sure I don't have an infection or something.

Does anyone have any hints, tips, or similar experience?

I do shower once or twice a day--by the way. So, it's not for lack of being 'clean'. Although, I do use Dial soap--and think maybe that's part of the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlogic View Post
Is Dial antibacterial? I had a friend who "washed too many times" and gave herself an infection since she kept eliminating all her bacteria. If it's just a smell, I don't know, I guess as long as it isn't foul, it should be okay.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is. Do you think I should get a soap that ISN'T antibacterial? I remember a long time ago stopping using soap like this... but I can't remember the exact reason why.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 PM

Ok, at the risk of asking for yet more TMI, lol, can you describe the smell? Yeasty, fishy, funky sweaty, pee, etc?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanydear View Post
Ok, at the risk of asking for yet more TMI, lol, can you describe the smell? Yeasty, fishy, funky sweaty, pee, etc?
It's definitely FUNKY! It's not fishy. Probably more sweaty and urinary--but some times bordering on ... sweet, maybe?

I wouldn't know what yeasty smells like, honestly... so I can't say that it's not yeasty. But, I'm not itchy like I've been in the past... but, that totally makes me start thinking it might be yeast.

On another note--the last few days I've had watery snotty stuff that come out into my panties--not like egg whites, not chunky, or anything like that. But it just smells like clean vagina smell... you know? So, when it's freshly 'out' it's not funky.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:39 PM

I have this going on. It's my natural smell, only stronger, and I think it's because I'm experiencing increased discharge in my 2nd trimester (as is common).

I use a very gentle soap without any of the lauryl/laureth sulfates or other harsh ingredients - mostly just oils and such, and it doesn't help. It does make my skin softer and less dry though.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
I use a very gentle soap without any of the lauryl/laureth sulfates or other harsh ingredients - mostly just oils and such, and it doesn't help. It does make my skin softer and less dry though.
Can you suggest a brand of soap? My daughter really wants to go to target.. think I could find something there?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 PM

If it's funk, I'd say just strong pregnancy smell. However, I think I saw a commercial for a new product that tests your ph or something and lets you know if it's an infection, yeast or nothing. I bet it's stocked by the over the counter yeast meds at the drug store.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:48 PM

I have noticed this too in my pregnancies :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM

i had this too with both preg. i have to wear panty liners all the time: which help a lot when it comes to laundry i just change my liners reg instead of my underwear.

i, also, would not use dial soap....not good for your good bacteria. i think the best advice i have ever been told for washing that area is...if you wouldn't use it on your face do not wash that area with it. you are going to be as sensitive or more in that area that you are on your face. HTH!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 PM

If you say it's sweet, it's probably a yeast infection, which my OB told me is extremely common in pregnancy because of your hormones being all out of whack, plus your immune system that would normally take care of the yeast build up is busy making a baby.

The OB suggested monistat, or something similar, and as for soap, she said Dove unscented beauty bar.

I encountered the exact same problem a month ago and since using the monistat one day treatment and the soap, i've been yeast free!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:47 PM

I have increased discharge a this point in the pregnancy and use momma cloth panty liners because they are easier to change than my panties. Seems to keep the smell at bay (I hope).

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 PM

Deleted by user.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenangelcat View Post
Do you actually smell or do you have a stronger sense of smell? My first pregnancy symptom was smelliness down there, but I wasn't actually smelly, I just had a heightened sense of smell that made everything smell stronger.
Yeah, I actually smell. The other night, I tried to wake my husband up for some nighttime lovin--3 hours after I had showered, and he said, "Dude, I'm sorry, I just can't... it smells."
Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Although, I do use Dial soap--and think maybe that's part of the issue?
YES! I had frequent issues til I switched to Dove Nutrium down there and antibacterial for underarms, feet, etc. Don't cave to antibacterial soap EVER once you've switched. You might think you smell funky and wanted to give it a quick wash w/ antibacterial but DON'T DO IT b/c it throws everything out of whack and makes you extra smelly.

Try inserting garlic at night time.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miny20 View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is. Do you think I should get a soap that ISN'T antibacterial? I remember a long time ago stopping using soap like this... but I can't remember the exact reason why.
The reason I stopped using dial is it gave me nasty crotch odor. I don't use soap on my vagina anymore just warm water. Glycerine soap would probably be ok. Your vagina clenses itself.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 AM

You may want to ask your provider for a peri bottle at your next visit, and use it instead of toilet paper every time you pee to maintain freshness. I also recommend a change in soap (you really don't need soap down there). You may want to start on some kind of probiotic regimen. I started getting really yeasty a couple of months ago so I started making sure I have a cup of yogurt every day. Also, your panties should be all cotton, and go without them or pants as often as you can to air the area out.

I had to stop my grooming routine as well about a month ago because I just couldn't reach anymore, and when there's hair down there, I have to be extra certain it's dry. I use a fan or a blow dryer after my showers to dry out the area thoroughly, and I'll put an anti-fungal powder on my labia. I have skin fungus issues, though, even with my probiotics, so I'm just hypersensitive I guess.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
Old 08-01-2007, 04:48 AM

maybe it'd help to keep some of those cottonelle wet wipes in your purse & at home so you can lightly cleanse yourself after each time you go to the bathroom. maybe that'd help keep things fresh down yonder and prevent anything from building up.

User Tag List