Pregnant with #1 in our 30s August - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 552 Old 08-18-2007, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has been having marathon nursing sessions -- e.g., from 11:30 to 3 last night/this morning. i saw the ped today whom i love because she had good advice on saving my traumatized nipples. i am having serious nipple pain and teaching dd all sorts of words i never wanted her to know even when she latches properly. i am using purelan or lansinoh religiously. i will persevere -- i am stubborn after all -- but i could use some fairy dust or somesuch.

DD has amazing muscle tone and coordination. no one can figure out a swaddle that will hold her, and she always takes her hats off!!

DH is great with her -- she loves to hear him sing "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore."

i have terrible post-partum insomnia. this is crazy. part of it is that i haven't processed the birth - i keep replaying it in my brain. but i know i have to sleep or i am going to go crazy. any helpful hints? please?
#302 of 552 Old 08-18-2007, 09:38 AM

Congratulations PiePie!

Sorry to hear about your insomnia. I think I heard that endorphins keep you awake for a while after the birth. I can only suggest things like hot milk and getting online with mothering.com ;-)

Yesterday was my due date, so based on the first-baby stats I'm expecting to see the little one in about a week. Wednesday was my last day of work (and still telecommuting a little bit) so I was interested to see PiePie go into labor so soon after stopping work -- is it stopping work and reducing stress that gets things going?

I'm planning to spend the next week tidying up more and going to yoga. Maybe a pre-baby La Leche league meeting and trying on a few slings. Oh yeah and finishing more work things As well as reading up to get to know others in this thread better -- I am sorry I didn't find it earlier.

Hi again everyone! I will try to be more personal in my next post!
#303 of 552 Old 08-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Congrats Cornpicker!

Laura congrats on finding a doctor! You must be so relieved.

Welcome Tracy!

Hi Kripa! Don't be such a lurker - I miss hearing from you! Seems like the 2nd tri ladies are quieter than the 1st tri!

PiePie I'm sorry you're dealing with insomnia and sore nipples. Experienced moms could probably give better advice, but the first things that came to mind were nipple shields and relaxation CDs. Did you use hypnobirthing or other relaxation CDs to prepare for the birth? Maybe you could use them again to get some sleep. And, like Plummom said, you're probably still "high" on endorphins from the birth. Just have your DH on standby for when you crash. Do you have a Miracle Blanket? They're more expensive than SwaddleMe or receiving blankets but they're supposed to be good for seriously squirmy babies like your DD. How cool is it that you have a DD to talk about?!

Plummom wow your due date was yesterday! Congrats on being done with work and having nice relaxing plans to keep you occupied until birth. Keep us posted!

Becky I hope your move went smoothly. Yay for moving before the baby arrives! I'm so glad that timing worked out.

Thanks for the feedback on showers. It sounds like people mostly get whatever they want to without consulting registries. At least the registries have been fun to make! Not much news here. I can't believe I'm 29 weeks today. Oh and my belly button is 1/2 out, tee hee.

Emily, Alex, Becky, how are you feeling? I guess we'll be on labor watch in this thread from now on... wow!

Has anyone been taking special steps to ensure good baby positioning, like the instructions at SpinningBabies.com? I spend a lot of time (at home) reclining with my feet up b/c of swelling. That site recommends against it, saying you should never recline so that baby doesn't get comfortable in a position that unfavorable for labor. I know they swim around in there a lot until they get stuck head-down at the end, so I'm wondering how valid their points are. Of course, munchkin's favorite position right now is with her head jammed under the right side of my ribs, so getting her more comfortable with the head down position would be more comfy for me too. But the spinning babies positions seem like they encourage swelling and spider/varicose veins.: Any opinions?

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#304 of 552 Old 08-18-2007, 11:01 AM

hi Pie! Has your milk come in yet? Nursing got better for me once the breastaurant was fully stocked. I also had a scrip. for newman's ointment that helped (it's not lansinoh), and I walked around (or laid around) without anything covering my boobs most of the time.

insomnia? I still have it, pretty bad. ooo how I hated hearing 'sleep when the baby sleeps.' Doesn't always work that way. One thing that sometimes works is to remove myself from dh/babe for a nap (have them in another room). My brain initially was just overwhelmed by processing the birth and the new being, and now its overwhelmed with other things. I think yoga might help. if I had time for it.

sorry, that's not much help, I'll be looking for others suggestions too. maybe some chamomile tea (if it wasn't so hot)?

ps - welcome tracy!

good luck to you ladies who are next in line - we are thinking about you!
#305 of 552 Old 08-18-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummum View Post
Maybe a pre-baby La Leche league meeting and trying on a few slings.
we still don't get how to use our maya wrap. it is not intuitive. i wish i had practiced with the introductory cd before she came along. oh well... we'll figure it out eventually. yesterday we took her to the pediatrician, and we have to go back next week for a weight check, but other than that, i'm not supposed to leave the apt.
#306 of 552 Old 08-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
My brain initially was just overwhelmed by processing the birth and the new being
that's exactly what it feels like! i am amazed that dh is able to turn off...
#307 of 552 Old 08-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_dr View Post
hi Pie! Has your milk come in yet?
not yet. she is 64 hours old. so it should come in soon?? : :
#308 of 552 Old 08-18-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
Do you have a Miracle Blanket? They're more expensive than SwaddleMe or receiving blankets but they're supposed to be good for seriously squirmy babies like your DD.
got one as a gift. have yet to try it. will try it next time. dh just thinks she is super baby and above swaddling...
#309 of 552 Old 08-18-2007, 06:17 PM

Pie! Thanks for the update! Hope you get some sleep soon! Poor thing, after all that, to not be able to sleep.

K, I'm totally so psyched to have the baby now. I just went through the piles of stuff someone gave me (it's been sitting in the garage for a month)...I can't believe how much stuff we've got. And I still get a baby shower? What are they gonna buy me? I feel so fortunate. I've got everything we need except for a boppy almost! We still need to get a glider and dresser for the nursery but I don't know what to register for, for this shower!

And OMG I'm just feeling so maternal now, looking at all these little bitty clothes. I can't wait. I think if my dogs were smaller I'd probably try dressing them up! Or maybe I can try my miracle blanket out on the cat...think he's up for some swaddling?

What will I do til November?
#310 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 01:32 AM

I used my cat to try out the Baby Bjorn I inherited from a friend. He was a trooper about it and didn't even complain! He weighs about 12 pounds, so I got a feel for what it's like to wear it around. I'll be interested to hear if your cat endures swaddling, Grace.

PiePie - hugs on the insomnia and sore nipples. I don't have any advice, but am sending fairy dust your direction.

Lacy 35 and Chris 35, DS Jakob 2, and EDD 1/1/11
#311 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Or maybe I can try my miracle blanket out on the cat...think he's up for some swaddling?
Your cat sent me a PM when you weren't looking and asked me to talk you out of this.

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
#312 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Has anyone been taking special steps to ensure good baby positioning, like the instructions at SpinningBabies.com? I spend a lot of time (at home) reclining with my feet up b/c of swelling. That site recommends against it, saying you should never recline so that baby doesn't get comfortable in a position that unfavorable for labor. I know they swim around in there a lot until they get stuck head-down at the end, so I'm wondering how valid their points are. Of course, munchkin's favorite position right now is with her head jammed under the right side of my ribs, so getting her more comfortable with the head down position would be more comfy for me too. But the spinning babies positions seem like they encourage swelling and spider/varicose veins.: Any opinions?
Are you sure it's her head under your ribs? I ask because I've had something under my right rib ever since she got at all big and I thought it HAD to be a head but finally discovered it's her foot or leg or something. Meaning that she was actually LOA, head down and lying along my left side with her legs bent across my body: perfect! (Actually, what's funny, I asked her one time to please stop with the under the rib, and the next day she had flipped over to the right so that nothing was under my rib. Then we had to ask her to turn back to the other side...)

I'm not having a huge problem with varicose veins and swelling so maybe I think about this element a bit less, but I try to most often sit on my ball or tailor-fashion on the floor, leaning forward on my hands. I only elevate my legs sometimes in bed. I'm noticing (right now, in fact) that if I recline, like if I'm on my (lovely new) bed leaning against a pillow against the wall, baby must get scrunched up because she wriggles in what feels like protest. Also, I have much less room to breathe. So I do think that the reclining position squashes things up more.

How about swimming and yoga? Swimming is supposed to be excellent for baby position, and also any exercise (esp one like swimming that is easy on the joints) helps with circulation. And if you want to elevate your legs, one thing you can do is lie on pillows on your side on the floor and put your top leg up on a chair. The thing I remember most from the SpinningBabies website (aside from don't sit on the couch -- no problem, my couch is UNCOMFORTABLE) is the exercise where you lie on a rebozo (sp?) and someone shakes you. I haven't tried it, but I can feel sometimes how tight the muscles along my lower sides are, and how great it would be if I could figure out how to relax them.

Alex, Emily, Becky, Plummum: how're things?

Welcome, Tracy!

Kripa, your message cracked me up.

CJ, yours too: "breastaurant"! Ha!

Laura, I'm so glad you finally found a doctor. What a huge relief.

Julia, how nice that you have almost all you need. I know what you mean; we are setting up "the nursery," and I'm folding these tiny little sleepers and putting them actually in the drawer of the dresser and it's all much more exciting than when they were just lying around boxed up.

Piepie, thanks for the updates! I'm terrified of nipple pain... here's hoping it tapers off very very soon. Can your midwife show you how to use the wrap? (At my last visit, when I mentioned we'd gotten a sling, mine was all, I'll show you how to use that after the baby comes. ) (Oh, ps. I had this song in my head yesterday and couldn't figure out why until I realized that it was Lorelei by the Cocteau Twins. )
#313 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 11:57 AM

Oh, something cute. In our childbirth class the other day, we were working on this part of a chart where we were listing the emotional stuff a birth partner would go through after birth. Everyone was saying, exhausted, stunned, overwhelmed, etc. Finally my DH broke in and said, "Well... I HOPE I'm ELATED." Elated! Very cute.

I'm realizing how the baby isn't just mine/ours. It's also HIS/ours. Like, I sort of think of her as looking kind of like me (hair color, etc), but she could look just like him and not like me much at all. For some reason this is a little weird. The dog is his, the cat is mine, the garage is his, the kitchen is mine. I thought the baby would be mine in that way, but it will be different from any of those things, I guess.
#314 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~minnow~ View Post
I'm realizing how the baby isn't just mine/ours. It's also HIS/ours. Like, I sort of think of her as looking kind of like me (hair color, etc), but she could look just like him and not like me much at all. For some reason this is a little weird. The dog is his, the cat is mine, the garage is his, the kitchen is mine. I thought the baby would be mine in that way, but it will be different from any of those things, I guess.
I've never been very good at sharing... I wonder all the time what this baby will look like... since it's a boy and all the men on both sides of our family are waaaayyyyy tall, I can pretty much assume he won't be a shrimp, eyes....hair, facial features... I can't wait to see. One thing I hope, is that he gets his father's hair... cuz the men on my side bald early. Unfortunately I read that the gene for hair comes from the mom's side. Sorry in advance, Oliver

Kripa...Too funny! Noodle was on my computer again, the little stinker. He escaped swaddling last night, mostly because I realized... he still has his claws, and it's been a while since I clipped them. He's a former outdoor kitty, and given the way he can battle the dog and WIN (and she's a big dog) I'm going to let him off the hook this time, for my own sake. Nice to see you around!

Spent yesterday getting spare furniture out of the nursery-to-be and putting it in the future Au Pair's room... still not thrilled about having a person living with us but I'm equally grateful this is something we can afford to do. With both of our schedules being so wacky, having a live-in caretaker for little Ollie will be a lot less stressful than trying to piece together babysitters for all those different days and hours. It's just, you know, we're still kind of newlyweds, our house isn't THAT big even though technically there's room for someone else, and it sort of feels like an intrusion. But I bet by the time she gets here (February...baby has to be three months old) she'll be MUCH appreciated!

I'm having that weird restless leg thing... I hate that! I actually was on my feet for so long last night cuz I couldn't stand sitting...that my lower back started hurting again. Augh, I can't find a comfortable position. Maybe I should bring the swiss ball upstairs and sit on that? Anyone dealing with this?
#315 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I wonder all the time what this baby will look like... since it's a boy and all the men on both sides of our family are waaaayyyyy tall, I can pretty much assume he won't be a shrimp, eyes....hair, facial features... I can't wait to see.
Ever since DH & I started dating years ago people have been wondering what our children's hair will look like: everyone in my family has really dark hair, and every one in his family has super blonde hair - about as blonde as you can get naturally. So I think once we start telling people we are pregnant the bets are going to start. We both has thick curly hair though so it will probably have curly hair. It's pretty exciting to think about.

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

#316 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~minnow~ View Post

yep. i struggled with thid prepartum. as roo, babe felt very much mine. sometimes ours, always mine. my therapist encouraged me to stop saying my baby and always say ours. as lorelei, she feels like ours. also mine and even his! the adjustment wasn't hard at all. now on the sharing of parenting choices...we are still at odds over cloth diapering.
#317 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli-mello View Post
Ever since DH & I started dating years ago people have been wondering what our children's hair will look like: everyone in my family has really dark hair, and every one in his family has super blonde hair - about as blonde as you can get naturally. So I think once we start telling people we are pregnant the bets are going to start. We both has thick curly hair though so it will probably have curly hair. It's pretty exciting to think about.
dh was a towheadvas a child, but dd has my hair. when lean forward while nursing you can't tell whose is whose. :
#318 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 09:46 PM

Pie - Sorry about the insomnia. I guess it's good to know its a possibility because I've had it off and on throughout the pregnancy. No brilliant ideas other than to think about the birth when you're not trying to sleep to maybe help process everything that happened? I find writing stuff out helps when I get something stuck repeating in my head... My dh can always sleep. It must be nice to be a man sometimes - they are so much better than we are at compartmentalizing stuff. Sorry for the painful nipples, too. I know they all say that it happens, but I am not ready to accept that yet! Why is it that giving birth causes trauma to the two parts of a woman's body that she LEAST wants traumatized????

I love hearing anything/everything about Lorelei and Gabriella!!! I am getting so excited! Pie - any chance for pictures?

Plummum - sending baby thoughs! I wondered if maybe letting go of work stuff helped Lorelei come - I wonder if they dont' wait until they know we're ready for them.

Dee - I was wondering the exact same stuff about spinning babies. I have some pretty significant foot and ankle swelling sometimes (more often than not now.) Today my hands swelled up for the first time so we came home and I laid down for a while, which did help especially with my hands. I have given up on spinning babies for now anyway. I heard somewhere that only 4% of babies are born "sunny side up" and I'm guessing that fewer than that actually do the spinning babies stuff, so while it may be helpful it can't be the only way to get them positioned correctly. I'm talking to her and trying to visualize her in the perfect position for both of us. She tends to hang out head down with her back along my left side (so she can kick my right) even though I spend plenty of time at home in my recliner/glider wth my feet up. Until my back has had it - then I end up leaning forward on my yoga ball! Oh, and swimming does help me, but I can only get to a pool about twice a week.

Minnow - Yeah - these babies actually do not belong to just us, huh?! I know that in my head and pretty much always refer to her as "ours" and I constantly wonder what features she'll have since I'm pretty fair with green eyes and light brown hair and dh has olive skin with really golden brown eyes and dark hair. We both have had curly hair too, but mine was curly as a child and his got curly as an adult. We'll see! Poor thing will be greasy though - we both have oily skin! But, she's been "mine" for all this time and I feel such an intimate bond with her that it does feel like she's mine... I think she's so much more real to me than she is to dh - it's going to be hard to share!

Hope you've all had lovely weekends!
#319 of 552 Old 08-19-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Or maybe I can try my miracle blanket out on the cat...think he's up for some swaddling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsRock View Post
Your cat sent me a PM when you weren't looking and asked me to talk you out of this.
Kripa! See why I miss hearing from you?

Lane thanks for the info about fetal positioning. It never occurred to me that it might not be a head under my ribcage, but yeah it could be a butt - it feels round & it's not on the left. I was going to ask about yoga/birth balls so I'm glad you mentioned that you have one & use it. I should get one ASAP. I know yoga & swimming are good. I usually swim once a week and I walk every day but I've only used my yoga video twice. It's SO adorable that your DH said he hopes to be elated after birth. I love that.

I haven't really processed the idea that the baby is ours either. I hate it when people say "we're pregnant" - pregnancy is a physical condition that men can't attain, yk? OTOH it expresses all the changes that the relationship is going through and the fact that a baby, belonging to both of you, will soon arrive. I was talking about slings and strollers to DH and he mentioned that he would always be the one carrying the baby after she's born. I think I detected a bit of jealousy that I "get" to carry her all the time now.

Speaking of strollers, there's an update on the MIL/travel system situation.... she bought exactly what I wanted & it should be here Wednesday! Hooray! I'm relieved & also happy that this precedent was set. Is that wrong?

Meli I have a little background in genetics & think your babies will have dark hair b/c it's so dominant over blond. Maybe light brown at the lightest. Texture is a lot more complex. My mom was towheaded as a kid and has sandy blond hair now, my dad's hair is so dark brown it's almost black. Both kids have dark brown hair. I'm glad my DH is prepared to have dark-haired kids (his is light brown), now he's just hoping some of them get his green eyes, which are recessive to my brown eyes.

Elizabeth it's good to know that only 4% of babies are sunny side up... I guess the breech rates are even lower. I guess I'll try to mix in a little birth ball sitting with reclining and see how it affects the swelling. I've been lax about wearing compression hose and boy can I tell a difference!

PiePie I hope the sleeping and swaddling are both going better now.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#320 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Meli I have a little background in genetics & think your babies will have dark hair b/c it's so dominant over blond. Maybe light brown at the lightest. Texture is a lot more complex. My mom was towheaded as a kid and has sandy blond hair now, my dad's hair is so dark brown it's almost black. Both kids have dark brown hair. I'm glad my DH is prepared to have dark-haired kids (his is light brown), now he's just hoping some of them get his green eyes, which are recessive to my brown eyes.
That's really interesting about genetics. And since two people mentioned "towheaded" I had to go look it up. I guess that means DH is a towheaded adult but when he was little his hair was rather orange - and his beard is orange. Is it weird to think that if we have a little girl who looks like me (dark hair, green eyes) he will be able to bond to her faster than a little girl who looks like him? Not that I know what we are having, but it might ease him into the whole being a father bit since he really likes how I look (or so he says, but I believe him. )

#321 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 AM

Genetics are funky.... just my own experience here. My Mom kinda short, brown eyes and dark hair with olive skin; my Dad tall, blond and blue eyed. As the firstborn I look just like my Dad, tall for a woman 5'10", really blond as a child now more light brown, and blue eyes. One of my sisters looks just like my Mom, brown eyes but with blond hair and lighter skin. And my youngest sister has milky white skin (doesn't tan at all), blue eyes and dark hair. So... my Mom always says that my Dad's genes were stronger than hers. So really who knows - the idea that dark wins over light is pretty generally accepted but didn't work out at all in our family. My Mom had a lot of problems making people believe we were hers!

I'm very curious to see who our baby looks like. It's weird for me to think that 'my' baby is half Slavic and only a quarter Spanish and a quarter American. So strange... is it wrong that I want the baby to be more like me and less foreign? I guess this is really all in my head anyway, once we meet the baby it will be ours no matter who he looks like.

Anyway don't they say that firstborns tend to look like their Dads, especially if they're girls? I've notice this pattern with others. It holds true for me, I look just like my Dad with a wig on (he was bald). And btw Julia, if your Dad was bald the chances are good that your son will be too. If I have a boy I plan on letting him have long hair without any issue from me just because I know it will be short lived.

PiePie, sorry about the insomnia and sore nipples but still it sounds like you and DH are adapting well to being parents.

Any news from the full term preggos?!!

Dee I'm glad it worked out with your MIL and that you got what you actually wanted.

So what's the best birthing position for the baby to be in? Mine has his head down his butt along my left side and yep his legs feet right under my ribs on the right side. When the time comes he should be how? With his back/butt along my stomach facing towards my spine? And I can insure this by doing some exercises?

Oh and finally the kitchen project is finished. That was pretty out of control... who knew nesting was about cleaning... ugh. I look around our place and the list just seems to keep growing. I need a distraction.

Hope you all had a nice weekend. Anyone having strange cravings? Suddenly pickles sound so good... with anything. Does this mean I've turned into the stereotypical pregnant lady?
#322 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 10:48 AM

So, what do you think I will end up with? I think it is a girl, mostly because of our timing.

I have red hair and green eyes, light skin with freckles (I got all the recessive genes! My mom brown hair and eyes, my dad brown hair blue eyes!)

DH has brown hair and light brown eyes. He was a towhead. His hair didn't really turn brown until his teens. He has darker skin and tans easily.

I wish there was a website where you could put all your info in and it would generate what your child could look like! Happy Monday ladies!
#323 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm first born and I look a lot like my mom, but there's a good mix of my dad in there too. My sister (2nd born) looks like my dad. So I guess we don't follow that 1st born/dad theory.

I guess my mom has the recessive eye gene? Hers are hazel and my dad's are brown. My sister and I both have brown. As for hair my mom's is curly and my dad's is super duper curly, lol. Mine is somewhere in between and my sister's is closer to my dad's. My moms skin color is light while my dad's is brown and I'm a teeny bit darker than mom while my sis is a little darker than me. All three of us are several shades lighter than dad.

For some reason I think our baby will look like my dh. That's what I imagine when I imagine our baby running around. I just imagine a mini dh every time. I've seen his baby pics so it's not too hard to imagine.
#324 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM

*WARNING*
Hormone induced rant in progress...

OMG, I seriously want to KILL Dh. KILL him. Yes, I understand that murder is wrong and that you shouldn't do it. But SOMETHING has to be done. If I kill DH now, there still might be time to find a replacement.

Why oh why won't DH do the things he needs to do to get ready for this baby? I mean seriously, I am 38 weeks and 5 days along. TIME IS RUNNING OUT. However for more than 4 weeks now the bottom halves of two bookshelves have just been sitting there in the middle of the nursery where they clearly DO NOT belong. All DH has to do is pick them up and bring them down the stairs to the garage (which is at the bootom of the stairs. But noooooo. they just sit there, in the baby's room, taunting me. They are very very heavy so there is no way I can take them down myself (although I have been VERY tempted to try - with irritational thoughts in my head like, "well if I bleed to deathand kill the baby while doing this, it will serve DH right!" Yes, I know, that is how crazy people think). We also have a ceiling fan that MUST be installed (because otherwise the temperature in the baby's room is too hot). The fan has actually been sitting there waiting to be installed for more than 6 weeks. ARGGGGHHH!!! I finally (this morning) brought down the BROKEN bottom half of the glider chair that has been sitting up there for 3 weeks (the chair arrived broken, but we called and got a replacement part which DH managed to install - yet he was not able/willing to remove and dispose of the broken piece?). Anyway, I was taking it out to the trash (after lugging it down the stairs, even though it is heavy and awkward and clearly not something I should be hauling around) and DH says, "um, I don't think I want to throw that out". I was like, "Why?" (I mean seriously, it is the bottom half of a glider chair and it is BROKEN!!!). Dh says, "I just want to keep it". So I said, fine, I can put it in the garage or I can put it out with the trash. Where do you want it." Big sigh from DH (who is clearly annoyed that I dared to bring the broken glider half out of the nursery to dispose of it), "I guess you can put it in the garage for now" (like he was doing me a freaking favor by "letting" me put a broken chair half in OUR garage! Again, I say ARGH!

WTF is going on with him. Why is he hoarding junk and why wont he just do the $%^& that needs to be done. I really do think I would feel better if I killed him (or at least hurt him a little - can I hit him with the bottom of the glider? At least then I be putting it to good use). Gah.
#325 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
And btw Julia, if your Dad was bald the chances are good that your son will be too. If I have a boy I plan on letting him have long hair without any issue from me just because I know it will be short lived.
Again, sorry in advance to my son Too bad, DH has a nice thick head o' hair... prematurely salt n' pepper, but gorgeous.

Interesting theory about first-born girls looking like their dad... my girlfriend's daughter sure does! My bro and I look like a decent mix of both my parents. Brother got blue eyes though, from somewhere...rest of us were green. Paul hopes our kids get my eyes I don't suppose we can pick and choose?

Well we did it... went to Babies R Us and started our registry. My friend's throwing me a shower in a month! We just have the big ticket items on there so far, like high chair (figured what the heck, we'll need it eventually), pack n' play, crib set (although I'm sure the window valance won't fit, etc, but I couldn't resist) I figure if we get the stuff, we do... if not, no big deal. But with potentially two baby showers I had to give people some ideas. (The second one is still only in theory however) Then my friend brought us his daughter's old crib and mattress last night... also the Graco journey travel system. Nice! It's beautiful. Nice quality stuff. I'm getting excited!
#326 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM

Plum mum - how are you feeling? Any signs of labour yet?

So far here's me and my pitiful attempt at softening my cervix.
Red Raspberry Leaf tea - check
Evening Primrose Oil - check
Walking - check
Eating spicier food - check
DTD - check

And I've got N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

The only pain I really feel is in my upper inner thighs and groin area. Just severe cramping that only happens when I am walking. My OB says it's part of regular labour pains but I am confused b/c I've always envision labour pains as severe gut wrenching menstrual cramps and lower back pain, not leg pain.

I did however get *one* severe pain shoot through my uterus over the weekend and it was so bad that I am like, God help me if that's what the rest of labour is like. It was just indescribable.

Oh yeah and I found a decent nursing bra. It's from Bravado Designs available in both the US and Canada and UK.

http://www.bravadodesigns.com/

I got one in black (which are damn hard to find in that colour for some reason) and in the Original Plus Style. It's like a sports bra and very comfy and doesn't have the back hooks to kneed into your skin. I tried on their Lifestyle one and there was lace trim and it was itchy, itchy, itchy!

Any ladies who are almost due feel like an anamoly? I cannot get over how many people on the street/mall/etc just blatantly stare at my belly like I am a circus freak. Even my husband started to notice and he was like "Have people never seen a pregnant woman before??!!" b/c it was starting to bother him. It makes me feel so self concious.

It's like yes my belly is big, there's a baby in there!!!

The worst is when you go shopping into regular clothing stores (I've been looking for a lot of deep V-neck and wrap tops to help for easing feeding access) and it's like people look at you as if you should only be shopping at maternity stores. Or God forbid you leave your house. Sigh.
#327 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 PM

Oh, Alex, sorry you're uncomfortable. Sorry people stare, too, aren't they rude? Didn't their parents teach them not to? And what is so weird about a pregnant woman, anyhow? Yeesh.

I just ordered one of those nursing bras, thanks for the link. It looks comfy. And in black! I wear black for work and have yet to find a comfy black bra, nursing or otherwise, that fits now!
#328 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Alex, sorry about the unwelcome stares. But you are getting close!

Emily, sorry about your DH. Forgive if this is a stupid question, but have you asked him point blank, will you do X this afternoon, it's driving me crazy? I mean, it sounds like it should be OBVIOUS that the ceiling fan needs to be installed, etc., but according to my own arguments with my own DH, it may not be obvious TO HIM that it has to be done right now. Mine's like, "If you wanted help with dinner, you should have asked!" Um, don't I say every day that I need help with shopping and dinner? Isn't it nagging if I ask you every day? But no, apparently there's some kind of formula for getting him at a good time, asking point blank for him to do something really obvious, and then it gets done. I don't know. Anyway, good luck.

Husbands are weird. I was so annoyed at mine about saying things like "When will you realize that YOUR dissertation is NOT a priority right now!" until I realized that even though it SOUNDS to me like he's insulting me and belittling my work and my desire to work on it... to HIM it sounds like he's reassuring me. Crazy, yes, but he THINKS he's reminding me that my health and the baby are the most important things and that I'll have time eventually to get my diss. done. It just comes out sounding like a huge insult.

My midwife said that the kid will look like DH. "It's nature's way of reassuring them that they're the father." Nice. DH's sister's kid looks EXACTLY like her dad. It's almost creepy; she's like a tiny man in pink overalls. This might sound bad, but DH's features are a lot cuter on a boy than on a girl. The boys in his family are hotter than the girls. Sorry, but they are. I try to think of my nieces though, on that side. They're pretty cute. All blonde. (I have super dark curly hair.) I just think the name we have sort of picked out will look better on a pale brunette than a perky boyish blonde. I fit the pattern; I look a lot more like my dad's side of the family than my mom's. (PinkOrchid, I'm relieved to hear there are some exceptions!) Anyway, unfortunately there aren't any great noses on either side of the family. Sorry about that, kid.

Natalia -- lol about the pickles. The other day we were going to have dinner and the only part that sounded really good to me was strawberries. Strawberries and avacados with lime juice and salt. I was totally obsessed with this and didn't want to eat my sandwich. I am also really into pickles. Oh, it sounds like your baby is laying just right! I'm not sure, but I think he'll rotate from this position nicely as he's supposed to.

Dee, yay about the travel system and your mil.

Julia, yay on all your schwag! Wow!
#329 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
Anyway don't they say that firstborns tend to look like their Dads, especially if they're girls? I've notice this pattern with others. It holds true for me, I look just like my Dad with a wig on (he was bald).
I'm the youngest and I've had people stop me and ask if my father is *insert Dad's name here* because we look so much alike (this is usually in business related circles once they hear my last name - not like, people on the street). We have a lot of the same mannerisms as well: like our laugh and our walk. My sister, the oldest, looks a lot like my Mum but then again, we also look a lot alike so it is really hard to tell.

dctexan: Do you really want to have your baby in jail? I suspect they aren't so into "natural methods" there.

#330 of 552 Old 08-20-2007, 01:36 PM

Emily I must've missed your post while I was posting. I will never understand why junk piles up in this house either, it seems like an endless task to get rid of it. Is it a male thing to "save" everything like that, or is it just our DH's? When I first moved in I went through the bathroom cabinets...threw out no less than five empty shampoo bottles, four things of half-used deoderant, about five million old razor blade heads, etc. I asked him, honey, why not use the wastebasket? His answer? Well, it fills up so quickly and the maids are only here every two weeks. So what, a big hulking strong guy like yourself can't pick up a 1-pound wastebasket and empty it yourself? OMG. So I know exactly what you're dealing with.

But Lane said it well... something about choosing the "right" time to ask (not when they're tired from work or just falling asleep)... maybe sometime towards the beginning of a day when he has energy... and say, hon, can we please set aside some time to do X, Y, and Z? I'm starting to worry, because the baby could be here any day and we won't have time to do it then. I'm unable to lift stuff right now but is there anything else I can do to help? (Even if it kills you to say it!)

Sorry he's being a pill...don't kill him though, you might regret it later

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page