Pregnant with #1 in our 30s August - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
And this is off topic, but if any of you have experience/advice with this, I'd appreciate it. Our neighbors' dog likes crapping in our yard. In fact, I don't think it ever does its business in its own yard. She is unleashed and unfenced and permitted to wander the neighborhood. We don't really mind her wandering; she's a pretty nice dog and it's not her fault that her owners are clueless. So how would you deal with this?
There are repellents that you can use in your yard if the dogs wandering itself really doesn't cause problems for you or the rest of the neighborhood. I've never used them though so cannot vouch for their effectiveness. A search at PetsMart turned up this one. It didn't get a good review, but there is only one review which makes it hard to know if it was a fair review. It's tough when you like the dog but don't like the actions, good luck! Maybe posting this in the pet forum here would get you some good suggestions...maybe even home-made deterents.

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 04:56 PM

There is also some device that emmits a high frequency sound (not constant just when sensing motion) that cats and dogs will stay away from. You could also put that in your yard.

Also found this on a web search:

Cats and dogs are very particular about smells. If you sprinkle the following around your garden, they will be turned off and find somewhere else to put their landmines.

Orange Peels
Coffee Grounds
Vinegar
Mothballs
Ground Red Pepper
#363 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 05:03 PM

Wow--thanks for the tips! we'll try these out. (I've heard that vinegar is a good herbicide, too, and we have lots of weeds. Two birds, one stone)
#364 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM

emily, alex, and becky: you need to see this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=734218
#365 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
it is also just EXHAUSTING. you have to feed them, even wake them up, every 3 hours, COUNTING FROM BEGINNING TO BEGINNING of the feeding. starting the clock when she finishes would be soooo much easier.
For our lovely Pie and for everyone else who has recently voiced breastfeeding concerns, there are two really great books that if you don't have you should consider getting. The first is "Breastfeeding Made Simple" by Nancy Mohrbacher and the second is "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" by La Leche League International.

Here are a couple excerpts that might be helpful for the topics that have been brought up recently, all below are from Breastfeeding Made Simple:
  • Normal breastfeeding during the first week is different from normal breastfeeding the second week and beyond.
  • After birth, your baby feels hunger for the first time. Using his digestive system and intermittent (rather than continuous) <they mean baby got constant nutrition from the umbilical cord before birth> feeding are new experiences. To make this transition easier, rather than giving your baby large amounts of milk right after birth, nature starts your baby off gradually, with small frequent feedings.
  • During his first day, a newborn's stomach is about the size of a marble. At each feeding he can keep down about one-sixth to one-third of an ounce. Not surprisingly, this is the amount of available colostrum, the early milk, that is ready and waiting for him at the breast.
  • Babies are born waterlogged. Imagine if you had been soaking in a bathtub for nine straight months...The last thing a brand-new baby needs is a lot of fluids. In fact, his first job after birth is to shed some of those extra fluids, which is why most babies lose a little weight in the early days.
  • One of the most common questions new parents ask is when they should feed their baby. Often they are focused on the clock, because that's where much breastfeeding advice points them. However, breastfeeding has been around a lot longer than clocks, and we're going to describe a simpler way of knowing it's feeding time, one that focuses on your baby...Ideally, babies should be fed when they are showing the early feeding cues...Rooting (turning his head from side to side with a wide-open mouth), Putting his hand to his mouth and Fussing.
  • During the first six weeks or so, your baby probably won't feed on any kind of regular schedule. Most new babies tend to bunch their feedings together at certain times and go longer between feedings at other times...Don't expect any consistency in the intervals between feedings until your baby is older...If your baby is like most newborns, during these first days there will be times when he is breastfeeding almost constantly, possibly for hours at a stretch, going back and forth from breast to breast. When you try to put him down, he will begin to fuss and show feeding cues...This is not unusual, and if it happens to you, it's NOT a sign that baby isn't getting enough or that breastfeeding is not working.
The end of the book also has sections on Common Breastfeeding Challenges and Special Situations:Physical or Health Issues. I highly recommend this book, it was used in one of my lactation consultant classes and the presentation given by the author was incredibly enlightening.

And none of us should be afraid to go to a local La Leche League meeting before our baby is born, it is highly encouraged and unless you end up with a bum group every one will be impressed with your initiative. I actually have been attending playgroups for my local Attachment Parenting group and have found it really helpful...both in seeing new and experienced moms in action but also in developing contacts so they are in place before I'm dealing with being a new mom.

And one word of caution that came up over and over in the lactation conferences and courses I took, be wary of advice from ob's and pediatricians. Some are really up-to-date with lactation info but most are not and are not required to be. Don't hesitate to verify advice given with your own lactation research or with an LC. And at the same time don't take an LC's word as the end all be all either, just like other professions some are better than others. There is constant continued education but only so much is required and there's no way for you to really know how much they have retained or how much they may have dismissed because it didn't fit their previous experiences with clients. Main point is that especially when it comes to lactation advice, don't hesitate to get a second opinion and to also do your own research. LLL can be a good resource as well as the breastfeeding boards here for doublechecking advice. And a few good books can work wonders.

Sorry so long, I just wanted to get some info out here since many of us are thinking about this topic right now. (and sorry for any typos, I've got to get back to work so can't proof : )

#366 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
you have to feed them, even wake them up, every 3 hours, COUNTING FROM BEGINNING TO BEGINNING of the feeding. starting the clock when she finishes would be soooo much easier.
So, you can't just let the baby sleep and let them let you know when they are hungry? You have to wake them up to eat? Any reasoning why?
#367 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 05:45 PM

awesome post, Kripa. ita with the points you and others have made about A) figure out your resources b4 you have the baby (ie know who you will call for help). and B) take all this advice with a grain of salt and still trust your intuition! I had several qualified people check my latch early on, and I got a different opinion from each of them. I kept hearing 'bf doesn't hurt. if it hurts, something is wrong.' Well for me, it did hurt at first and it wasn't because of the latch. But hearing 'something is wrong' from people undermined my confidence at first.

Pie - I know, every three hours from the start is a real kicker, especially when you are still recovering from the birth. It gets better, it really does. Ella typically goes to bed around 9, wakes at 1 or 2am, 4 or 5am, and 7:30. The 1 and 4 am feedings are just roll over (take her out of the co-sleeper), nurse side-lying, and we both usually fall back asleep within about 20 minutes. It's not bad, I just wish I could go to bed right at 9 pm too. Great that the milk truck arrived and the pain is lessening! how's the insomnia? What's your favorite thing about having lorelei earthside so far?

Rebecca - dogs pooping in your yard is SO not ok. Even if they are clueless I would talk to the neighbors about it.

In other news, I got on the scale today (2.5 months postpartum) and am within 3-4 pounds of pre-pregnancy weight! without dieting or doing anymore exercise than I really want to do. yay breastfeeding!
#368 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Jenn it's wonderful that your mom is recovering from her surgery well and fighting her cancer. It's great that she has a grandchild to look forward to also!

Becky I'm glad to hear that the move went well! You are amazing to be able to unpack and then go out for a night on the town. I'd probably crash 1/2 way through one or the other - there's no way I could do both. Rock on!

PiePie I'm glad to hear that BFing is going better. Thanks for the referral to the other thread too... yikes, what an awful time to find out that you're allergic to lanolin. :

Elizabeth I'm sorry you're getting uncomfortable. FYI I had some low compression knee-highs, the kind that nurses wear, and they made my feet hurt much worse when I wore them. Something about constricting blood flow below the knee.

Kripa thanks for the BFing info - looks like I've got a lot of reading to do! I'm still working on finding a doula, who I hope will hook me up with an LC.

I've discovered a new pregnancy joy - snoring. Yes, DH has been waking me up the past couple nights to tell me I'm sawing logs. I used my neti pot at 3:30AM last night. It seemed to work but now I'm tired from lack of sleep and embarrassed that I woke up my DH by snoring. Hah what a crazy ride this pregnancy thing is! I'm huge all of a sudden too! Another grad student asked me how I grew so much over the weekend, so it's not just my imagination. There's a new pic in the sig if you wanna have a look.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#369 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 PM

Hello everyone! I am at work, so no time for personals.

Quick question: Anyone experience sharp pains in your vagina?
I have been having them off and on for a few weeks, but today had three of them right in a row while I was sitting here at work. I did a quick look-up and found a few people that believe the pains to be related to round ligament pain. Any thoughts?
I haven't had any discharge or abdominal cramping, just sharp (I imagine a lightening bolt for some reason) pains in my vagina. Weird.

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
#370 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM

Aimee I do get that, I asked the midwife about it and she said it was ligaments.
#371 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 PM

Kripa: (and everyone else) Thanks for the BF info. Personally, I'm terrified of breast feeding - both about actually doing it but more about not being able to. Neither my Mum or my sister breastfed and my sister keeps saying things like "well, you know, Mum & I didn't so you probably won't be able to" which is really annoying. My Mum at least says hers was probably due to lack of support more than anything else. And I'm ALOT healthier than my sister so hopefully things will be okay. Plus, I feel like I am already getting support just from reading these entries.

Rebecca: Clueless neighbours are not okay. I've had an incident this week where my already-clueless neighbours went away and had one of their adult children come and look after their house. The housesitter left their dog outside, a dog that obviously has abandonment issues because it cried and barked at the backdoor for hours. Right outside the window where DH and I have our office (we work from home). I knocked on the door but no one answered even though I knew they were home. So I called animal bylaw services and filed a complaint. I am crazy about dogs and so when ever I needed a break from work I would go outside and the dog would come running over to the fence for a little pat (sweet little red border collie) but that didn't stop me from reporting these people (two days of barking!). You need to tell your neighbours that if they want to leave their dog outside in an unfenced yard they need to get a chain or leash for it - something it can still run around the yard with but that is secure enough so it won't escape. And if that doesn't work I would report them and keep a log of every time the dog is in your yard. Sorry for the rant - can you tell I have no patience for bad neighbours anymore?

Piepie & Rock_dr: Can I just say how great it is that you are both posting here still and giving us updates on life with baby? Thank you!

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

#372 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 06:47 PM

I agree with Melanie - I love it that Pie and CJ are sticking around and giving us all the life with a baby intel!!! It makes me even more excited!

Thanks for the recommendation, Kripa. I just ordered Breastfeeding Made Simple. I don't even know how to find a lactation consultant, but I will find one before the birth... EEK! My list of things left to do just keeps getting longer!!!

Aimee - I had that. My doctor said it's round ligament pain. The ligaments are stretching and they have nerves that go down along the vagina and end at the labia, so you can feel them anywhere along that path. They lasted most of the first tri for me... Haven't had one since, though!

Meli - You can do it!!!! Your boobs and your baby were designed for it. I understand that it's not easy at first, but neither is being pregnant or having a baby! I'm guessing (hoping) that finding a good consultant and figuring out what works for you are key...

Pie - You have to wake them up to eat? I know that folks who want to get baby on a schedule right away do that, but I didn't know it was medically recommended or anything. I was planning to feed on demand until she was at least a few weeks old?

So, I've gained 8 lbs of mostly water (per my OB) in three weeks. Ugh. OB's not concerned. Gee, thanks. I really do like him, because he tends to assume things are just fine. But that includes my swelling. In his mind, not severe because my BP is fine, etc. But, it's uncomfortable and ugly and I don't like it. I'm seriously buying a kiddie pool tonight to sit in after work...
#373 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 PM

Pie, thanks for the referral to the other thread! You've got me thinking now. I hope more people post to it, I love stuff like that.

Kripa, thanks so much for the BF info. I'll add at least one of those books to my growing library of baby-related reading.

Dee, snoring! Well, at least it's not uncomfortable for you! My husband told me I've been moaning in my sleep!! Lovely!
#374 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 PM

on the 'waking up baby' questions - yep, newborns can be so sleepy that they skip meals even when they really shouldn't (just contributes to the lethargy). After 2 weeks, when I was quite confident she was gaining weight fine, I'd let her go 4-5 hours at night. what they say is they should be eating about 8-10 times a day at first, which would be about every 2-3 hours, but after the initial time period it's probably ok for them to go a little longer at night.
#375 of 552 Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 PM

Wow - so she won't be waking me, I'll be waking HER at night? The things they do not tell you when you sign up for this!!! So were you setting your alarm for every 3 hours?
#376 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctexan View Post
Anyway, I was taking it out to the trash (after lugging it down the stairs, even though it is heavy and awkward and clearly not something I should be hauling around) and DH says, "um, I don't think I want to throw that out". I was like, "Why?" (I mean seriously, it is the bottom half of a glider chair and it is BROKEN!!!). Dh says, "I just want to keep it". So I said, fine, I can put it in the garage or I can put it out with the trash. Where do you want it." Big sigh from DH (who is clearly annoyed that I dared to bring the broken glider half out of the nursery to dispose of it), "I guess you can put it in the garage for now" (like he was doing me a freaking favor by "letting" me put a broken chair half in OUR garage! Again, I say ARGH!
omg this is something my guy would do! you have me laughing so hard!

seriously, honey, get some rest. (i should do the same.) you want your energy for labor.
#377 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 AM

Dee - snoring? Me too for months now and also groaning and even talking if I believe DH. He's really sleeping well considering I've turned into a nighttime ogre that hogs most of the bed with pillows and yes occasionally whacks him just out of spite. The latest blow to my ego is drooling... copiously. I wake up with a wet pillow and a sore ear (from sleeping too long on one side). Any fantasies of retaining my vanity are gone. Well pregnancy is a growing experience in more ways than one.

I'm in a state of denial about breastfeeding. I plan on breastfeeding but that's as far as I've gotten. I guess I am attached to my breasts as 'fun' not food - okay they haven't been 'fun' in months but I haven't transitioned to them being food either. I'm guessing reality's going to be a shocker!

Rebecca - ewww on your neighbors for letting their dog poop at will... clueless because it suits them! I agree with PP talk to them and let them know it isn't okay. Oh and ask them to come clean it up!!! Oh and what's grinding? Is it like dry humping? I'm out of the loop...

Btw here in the NL they call the terrible twos the first teenage years, it's a rebellious time.

Well I'm sure I've missed some people - howdy to everyone I missed.
#378 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, Kripa. I just ordered Breastfeeding Made Simple. I don't even know how to find a lactation consultant, but I will find one before the birth... EEK! My list of things left to do just keeps getting longer!!!
Don't panic Your local La Leche League could probably recommend some people. And that book you ordered is a pretty quick and easy read despite being full of such a wealth of info. Honestly, I'm only somewhat up on this topic because I was going through the training to become a lactation consultant. At some point I realized I wasn't going to be able to finish in time to sit for the test that is only given once a year and I wasn't willing to believe that I wouldn't get pregnant before the next years test, so I decided to not continue with more courses and to put that money into savings instead...good thing I did because look where I am now! I'll pick it all back up later. But I love that book, I had it out to look up something for a friend and then remembered you guys were talking about breastfeeding.

#379 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
Btw here in the NL they call the terrible twos the first teenage years, it's a rebellious time.
I often check out posts in the Toddler forum and either feel all warm and fuzzy or cold and scared. I won't even mention how the Teen forum makes me feel sometimes. We have a lot of friends with kids in their twos and threes...mostly with them I just feel tired in advance. They are all really cool kids though, even in the midst of their freak outs. But just the thought of having to be the one keeping up with them makes me tired.

#380 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 PM

Natalia, as described to me, grinding is like dry humping, except it's done in public on a dance floor. The girl sticks out her butt, boy rubs his pelvis against it, ejaculates, then moves on to the next butt. I know I'm more prudish than some (but not really all that prudish), but this really skeeves me out.

Kripa, thanks for the great advice on breastfeeding. I really need to spend more time preparing for breastfeeding. We take classes and get ourselves mentally prepared for childbirth, but just tend to expect nursing to come naturally. I'll check that book out, and I think I'll start attending some LLL meetings.
#381 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 04:21 PM

BFING: I read 3 books on the subject before she was born: Huggins' Nursing Mother's Companion, LLL's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and something by Kitzinger. Of those, Huggins was most helpful as a how-to. I found the LLL one very insulting to working mamas (it basically says you need to simplify and reprioritize if you intend to WOHM in the first year and probably the second year too...). The Huggins one is very supportive of returning to work. I then took a BFing class (with DH) that was way more helpful than any of the books. Even with that, I still needed help once DD was here. Reading is one thing; real life is another.
#382 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 05:04 PM

Thanks Pie! Just added the Huggins' book to my registry... I'm still up in the air as to which hospital I'm going to deliver in (my doctor's office strongly recommended the non-teaching hospital, which means I need authorization from my insurance), so I'll try to get into a class at one or the other once I know where I'll be... I think there was more bf support at the university one, but my doctor has worked at both for years and the smaller one is MUCH more supportive of low-intervention, natural births. They actually have NO hospital "policies" relating to birth practices - it's up to each doctor's orders and the patient's preferences, which is nice.

My OB wants me to go out on leave at 36 weeks, but I really am hoping to stick around until mid-September. I tend to stress out in appointments, so I think he thinks I'm a much more stressed out person than I am. I just need to have stuff settled in my head (and stress out) now rather than in the delivery room!

Qestion for mommas farther along than me... Is is normal to have her dropping at 34 weeks? My belly is getting so much lower that people at work are commenting on it and I now feel her pushing against the insides of my pelvis. My stomach rests on my lap! Did this happen to anyone else at this point? None of my friends seem to remember it happening this early. I'm not worried, but just curious if it's common.
#383 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 05:52 PM

elizabeth, you might consider looking around for an independent breastfeeding class, not sponsored by the hospital. that's what we did. in terms of leaving work, i got REALLY exhausted at 34 w, and went down to part-time at 36 w. i really should have gone down at 34 w. i did much better physically once i was working 3 days a week...
#384 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks Pie. I'll do that.

I wish I could go part time; I'll have to talk to my human resources folks and my doctor about the possibility of doing that. Technically we can't, but I'm sure if it's medically necessary you can. It will just make my life a lot less stressful when I come back if I can hang on until the Legislature adjourns. I would seriously go nuts if I just stayed home, though. I think I'd get so bored I'd actually end up overdoing it with shopping and cleaning.

Today I'm leaving in a bit to just go home and rest. I'm tired and swollen and I want a nap!!!
#385 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 06:08 PM

Hi, I'm just popping in again. Thanks for the good comments about the doctor. I've not recieved a call from the office yet, so I am guessing that he has found my records favorable and will take me. Yay.

We're still living in clutter. We have WAY too much stuff. I started this mornign good, getting in some of our laundry so I could do some baby clothes and some dishes done (it's sad, but I moved a box of dirty dishes that still need to be washed). However, I wound up curled up in bed with my husband for an hour, too, so that may not have helped. We have a fan by an a/c vent in our room that is tilted up to help blow air. I bent down to turn it off, and pinched my back. I went downstairs and told Andy about it and no sooner did I get done, then I bent over (at the waist, I'm not too big that I can't do that... Or so I thought) to put the bottle of cleaner away. Real smart. Now it hurts and I'm afraid to move too much. Andy left to get a new battery for his car and I didn't want to do anything at home, for fear that I would be stuck for awhile. Now I'm at the school library playing. I wanted to go to the Mercy for Animals dinner tonight at the downtown Columbus library, but I'm not sure that's going to happen, especially if Andy doesn't want to go. He probalby wouldn't want me to go if I'm hurting and so I'll just stay home. There is a seminary communtiy cookout tonight that I'll go to instead. The nutrition lecture at the library would have been interesting, and inormative, but I'm not totally clueless.

I suddenly feel overwhelmed again. Baby Watch starts Sept. 1 and I'm not near ready as I want to be. We have to do baby shopping next week and I want the house to be almost done this week. The living room has to be cleared out by tomorrow afternoon so the cable guy can come and hook things up.

Okay. I'm sleepy and hungry. Time to go home.
#386 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 06:17 PM

Pie Pie - thanks for the link to the thread! Those are great suggestions on there. I hope more women post more.

Elizabeth - Wish I could offer some words of wisdom on the dropping thing. I have no idea whether or not I've dropped b/c this munchkin's head has been down in my pelvis since almost 30 weeks and they are comfy in there. I have noticed my belly looks a LOT different this week though. Just completely more prominent and separated from my body as if it's 'hanging' so I know something's going on. Other than that I don't feel any extra pelvic pressure and I've been going to the bathroom 5x a night for the entire pregnancy so alas that's nothing new.

I am on my first day of "maternity leave". Well that is I took some holiday time for the last week of my pregnancy and then my leave (Canada) officially starts in Sept 3. It's a really weird feeling to know that I am not going back to work till March (my husband is taking the other 6 months - we get a year here and it's budget time b/c our paycheques get slashed in half during our leave).

My husband is like "Doesn't it feel great, like you're on a long vacation?" and I am thinking "No. I'm going stir crazy". I cleaned out cupboards, tossed old food, cleaned out the fridge and washed dishes (our dishwasher is still broken and waiting for the repair guy a month later). I figure I should enjoy this b/c once the baby is born I'll be a human cow just waiting for my husband to get home from work so that I can shower.
#387 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Even with that, I still needed help once DD was here. Reading is one thing; real life is another.
: That is such an awesome point because for some reason it doesn't get mentioned. Breastfeeding IS a natural thing but that doesn't mean that we won't need help and too often women don't get help or only get it from their ped dr who doesn't specialize in lactation. The best way I've heard it described is that babies are the ones who naturally know how to do it, then the women learn how to best support the baby. I saw video of a newborn who was placed skin-to-skin on mama's belly and the baby (within an hour of birth) scootched his/her way farther up mama until between her breasts, then scootched over to one side and self-latched with a perfect latch. It is such a cool thing to see and hear described. (this was a baby born in an unmedicated birth) For me, when I heard that it made me feel better for some reason and helped me to understand that it will be me who is learning something new and that it is always ok and good to get help. The stories I have heard of women who thought they should just know how to do things instinctively and who didn't think it was good if they got help...it was sad and frustrating to hear.

Now none of that is to say that a babies latch is always correct, etc, bad latches definitely happen all the time or other things go on with baby. I just want to be sure that it is clear that I'm not saying that. I'm just saying they are hardwired to breastfeed and it's us moms who are learning something new so we should never hesitate to get help and support.

Pie, I have heard similar complaints about the LLL book, I forgot about that when I was posting the title. While they do have a chapter on returning to work with lots of advice about preparing and making the transition, the rest of the book probably does have a mood that leans toward mom staying home. It's so hard to find a book that matches our individual needs 100% isn't it? That Huggins book is a good one, I forgot about that one.

Another one I really liked (is it obvious yet that I'm a book-ho? ) is The Breastfeeding Cafe by Barbara Behrmann. It is for the most part nothing but stories from real women about their experiences in breastfeeding (including stories from working moms). Some were hillarious, some were uplifting, some were sad...a whole range of experiences.

I was reading yet another book today and came across a web reference that I forgot about. There are many articles and even video clips at Dr. Jack Newman's site.

Clearly breastfeeding is on my brain this week. I just visited with my friend last week and her second baby was almost two weeks old when I visited. I love, love, love being able to see babies feed in person and watch how mom handles latch, etc. And I'm so grateful that they share the experience with me and don't hide it. It really helps me to process the information I learned to see my friends actually nursing. Thankfully I also am friends with a nurse who specializes in lactation education and fully intend on having her visit immediately after birth even if things seem to be fine.

Anyway, I better get my one-track mind to the chiropractor before I'm late for my appointment. I'll try to sing a different tune the next time I post.

#388 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
I wish I could go part time; I'll have to talk to my human resources folks and my doctor about the possibility of doing that. Technically we can't, but I'm sure if it's medically necessary you can. It will just make my life a lot less stressful when I come back if I can hang on until the Legislature adjourns. I would seriously go nuts if I just stayed home, though. I think I'd get so bored I'd actually end up overdoing it with shopping and cleaning.
I was convinced my boss wouldn't approve part-time. I presented it as a requirement of my midwives. I think it would have presented an HR nightmare -- they would have to re-post for my job and then re-hire me as a part-time, which would have taken way too long -- but instead I just used my vacation days. I was also flexible as to which days I would be off...
#389 of 552 Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
The latest blow to my ego is drooling... copiously. I wake up with a wet pillow and a sore ear (from sleeping too long on one side). Any fantasies of retaining my vanity are gone. Well pregnancy is a growing experience in more ways than one.
I was an excellent drooler as a baby and my skills have only increased with age. DH has always known this and thinks it's cute - I guess I believe him. At least no one wants to steal your pillow!

Becky you're moaning huh? Wonder if the 3rd tri sex drive is kicking or you're dreaming of labor?

I don't know how you share bedcovers with your DHs. I remember when we occasionally shared a twin size bed in college but I can't figure out how. Maybe there wasn't much actual sleeping involved! Now I need my space and my covers to get a good night's sleep. We have a king size bed and each have a twin size comforter. It looks fine b/c the comforters match and it keeps us both happy. I guess we're both bed hogs, which is why I worry about co-sleeping. They say the secret to a happy marriage is separate bathrooms... I like that one but I think separate comforters are pretty high on the list too.

I checked out the La Leche League website & found a meeting at my local library in two weeks! Yay! (Natalia if you're interested there's a Dutch version of the site you can get to from the pull-down menu on the top left. I'd tell you more but it's uh, in Dutch.)

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#390 of 552 Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Natalia, as described to me, grinding is like dry humping, except it's done in public on a dance floor. The girl sticks out her butt, boy rubs his pelvis against it, ejaculates, then moves on to the next butt. I know I'm more prudish than some (but not really all that prudish), but this really skeeves me out.
Wha?!? Ewww!! When I was in high school/college grinding was sort of what you described MINUS the ejaculation part.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page