Pregnant with #1 in our 30s August - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my! So much has happened since just last night. Congratulations Alex and baby Layla! Can't wait to hear all about it and (hopefully) see pictures.

This sounds like it could be a busy baby week on this board!

Melanie, Mum to DD1 (April 2008), DD2 (August 2010) and excepting #3 Feb 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Emily, I bet your contractions are very productive. A friend of mine who was due a week after me was having irregular contractions like you are for like, 2-3 days. She delivered yesterday morning! I hope your contrax move along and you can get this show on the road!

Julia, welcome home! On the bib issue, I recieved at least 15 of them for gifts! I think the serious drooling can start fairly early sometimes, so it can't hurt to have them around.

Judy, sorry you're so tired! It does get better, hang in there!

Lacy, thanks for the vibes!

Elizabeth, we *still* haven't figured out the guardianship thing. My brother and his wife asked us to be guardians for their kids if anything happened, and I figured we'd ask them, but they're going through some serious family stuff now that is making me reconsider. I have no idea what we'll do.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Melanie... try to slow down and focus on now... plenty of time for LLL and finding a doula, all that stuff. Just get ready for your trip and enjoy! Sorry you're stressed. There's a lot to think about, but there's plenty of time left, too.
Slowing down & focusing... something I have never been very good at. Thanks for all the kind words. To be honest, I'm not too worried about money - I'm sure once the DH gets a job it will be a good one & I've always been the one telling him not to worry about getting a job & just concentrate on his thesis. It's been fun having the two of us working from home. Maybe a little too much fun - that's probably the reason I'm pregnant.

I've slowly started telling people I'm pregnant. I told one of my best friends last Friday - she lives out of town so I'm not worried about it getting back to the in-laws just yet. Her reaction was really cute: "I'm going to be an Aunt!" And last night I told my other best friend who I felt bad about lying to - she lives next door and was wondering why I'm so tired all the time & I kept having to make excuses about not being able to go to yoga (which I had JUST started before getting pregnant). She's really excited too. I'm pretty much the first person we know having babies which I think is why I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at times. Now that I think about it - I don't have ANY friends with children. Odd.

Jujubie: It is taking me a really long time to get ready these days too. Even though I don't have to go anywhere most days - on the days I do I end up completely exhausted at night.

Dee: Have a wonderful vacation with your puppies & your DH. I can't imagine a more lovely way to spend a weekend.

Sending out easy labour vibes to all those who sound like they are going to need it soon!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
Why do they recommend bibs for infants, or is that for later? Pie and CJ... question to the mamas... my friend said something about not being able to cut the baby's nails for the first two months, so I'd need sleepers with mittens on the end so they don't scratch themselves. Is it that their hands are too small and it's hard to clip them, or are you not allowed to clip them for some reason?

infant bibs are for drool. i think they are a waste of $ but we did get some as gifts (part of an "outfit").

most peds recommend AGAINST sleepers with mittens. the theory is that babies need to use their hands to self-soothe (and to practice hand-eye coordination). the former at least is definitely true for my dd. in the bc they told us to cut her nails immediately because she came out with them long. i just got around to it today (she hated it -- i promised her a better mani later) and i've got scratches all over my boobs to prove that i should have done it earlier.

BOOBS: Mastitis doesn't hurt much, it's more like a bad flu, with tenderness/heat/hardness at the affected part of the breast. However, I have yet another wound on the nipple, wbich does hurt like heck. Frustrating because I thought I had improved the latch.

LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT: DD recognizes her first word: she stops crying and looks right at the areola as soon as I say "boobylicious"! Meaning, I'm ready to nurse you. It doesn't work when DH does it though. Has to be my voice.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post

LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT: DD recognizes her first word: she stops crying and looks right at the areola as soon as I say "boobylicious"! Meaning, I'm ready to nurse you. It doesn't work when DH does it though. Has to be my voice.
That is too funny! You really need to record that somewhere to tell her later!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Good news!!! I just heard from my OB's office that I got authorization to deliver at the private hospital, not the university one that I was going to have to use for insurance reasons. It means that I'll have a ton more freedom over how things get handled. The UC hospital REQUIRED constant monitoring and an IV, period. The private one has NO hospital policies for stuff like that and just bases it on doctor's orders, which for me will be intermittent monitoring and an IV that can be off when I want it off (heplock only). It also means that I will not have to deal with any residents, who have to go by "policy" regardless of your wishes. If for some reason my doctor can't be there, his partner will be the one I see.

It's not as modern a facility (you can't plug ANYTHING in the whole time you're there since it was built in the 40s). But, it's a nicer overall environment that is much more amenable to natural birth.

I am SO relieved to have this settled finally!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 PM

Good news, Elizabeth! Woohoo!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 PM

Yay on the hospital Elizabeth!

Um, anyone? Why does my vagina hurt suddenly? It's, you know, not excruciating or anything, just a dull ache here and there throughout the day. ??
Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks - I'm so relieved !

Grace - how far along are you again? I get twinges when she punches me in the cervix, and earlier I had that with round ligament pain. I guess the nerves run down along the vagina to the labia, so you can feel it anywhere along there... I'm guessing just another fun side effect of this wonderful state?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:22 PM

Emily I think feeling like you have to poop is a very good sign! ELVs to you, Becky, & Natalia on this full moon night! Becky I love your newest pic - very pretty.

Elizabeth hooray for insurance working with you instead of against you!

I agree it seems like 3-4 pairs of socks are too few. I think they come in 6-packs anyway? The authors of the book relied very heavily on footed sleepers, so that might explain why they didn't need many socks. I heard that t-shirts are better to use before the umbilical stump falls off b/c they're less irritating than onesies?

Julia your doggie vacation sounds awesome. Don't tell my dogs about it - they'll be jealous. I just started getting those weird pangs in my vagina yesterday. It doesn't hurt exactly but it sure feels weird. It's more obvious when I'm walking, so I'm guessing it's the head or a hand pressing on my cervix. Or the baby could be pressing on nerves like Elizabeth mentioned. This pregnancy thing is nuts. OMG I'm SO swollen now. At night I can't even bend some fingers & it hurts to grab the pillow to move it. I'm thinking about being cryogenically frozen until my due date.

SIL swears the easiest way to trim a baby's fingernails are to bite them. That's what I was planning on doing b/c I can't even cut my dogs' nails - it's nerve wracking. It's good to have options though - I like the peeling method that was suggested & I already have some tiny nail clippers that came in a baby care kit.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent snoring? Poor DH isn't getting any sleep & is planning on sleeping on the couch from now on. It doesn't really bother me b/c I can't hear myself but I'm exhausted so I'm probably not sleeping as deeply as I should be. I already use a neti pot before bed, take claritin nightly and have an air purifier in the room. Do Breathe-right strips work? Does anyone take decongestants or diuretics? I don't feel stopped up, I'm pretty sure my sinuses are just swollen like the rest of me.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 AM

Elizabeth... I'm almost 28 weeks. Maybe my pelvis is shifting for birth, widening or whatever, but it seems early.

Dee... I can't clip my dogs' nails either, they're dark and I can't see the quick. Sorry you're swollen too, doesn't it suck? Man. Won't be long before I have to take off my wedding band I have shooting pains "down there" and also the dull ache, so I am not sure which is what but basically, everything hurts at some point during the day, it's just a matter of hoping it doesn't all hurt at once. I can't believe I have three more months left.

Any more babies, anyone? Emily? How ya doin?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:57 AM

emily, hang in there.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:28 AM

No baby yet :
Midwife appointment today. I feel a big cry coming on.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:57 AM

Hi! I'm doing well, for the most part.

For those who are working outside of the home and find it hard to work, don't feel too bad. I don't know how you lasted this long. I'm a housewife and I'm finding it hard to find the motivation to set up the baby's room. As it is now, I should be up calling the insurance company for the number for the new billing company for the list of doctors that will be on the list effective Sept. 1. The doctor I have isn't on the "current" list (the one that will be outdated on Friday) and that's the list that the office was going by yesterday. Being freaked out about that did not make for a good visit. (Although, I wanted to look at my husband while the doctor was examining me. I needed the laugh. I also wanted to laugh when the doctor said that his two fingers were nothing like a head coming through. I've yet to find anything more creepy or amusing than having a strange man look at me there while my husband is present. We're both creeped out and amused by it. Now, I'm laughing thinking about it.) He told me yesterday that I'm dilated two centimeters, working on three. Eh. However, just last Thursday when we saw him, I was already dialed one. Oy.

Thanks for the breastfeeding info. There is an LLL meeting near me in Columbus the second Tuesday of September, which will be very timely, whehter or not she is here or not. I'm dragging my husband with me (if he doesn't have class or working, at least if he's working since he's willing to miss class for pre-natal appointments and his profs are very family friendly). I don't think he'll want me to go very far by myself once we start Baby Watch. I don't blame him.

Elizabeth, your shower reminds me of the one our church did for me/us. From them alone, our daughter has enough clothes for two babyhoods. I've decided to donate the stuff that I have gotten second hand when she outgrows them, unless it's gender-neutral stuff. Yesterday, my sister lent me her old Pack and Play, travel bassinet, car seats (we weren't going to go with used for this one, but since we know the source, we agreed), diaper pail and a couple of other things, I think. Yay. Our relationship has improved since my pregnancy and for that I'm grateful.

If you haven't seen my thread yet, I'm having childbirth class issues. Ugh. I guess I've read stuff regarding Hypnobirthing techniques or something similar. Something to the effect of the mindset. Okay. I don't like pain, but at the same time, I put off taking ibuprofen (now Tylenol) when I so much have a headache. I've gotten accustomed to my heartburn to where I hardly notice it. Mind over matter? Besides, childbirth is natural. While I want to read up on stuff, I do know that if God hadn't intended it, it wouldn't be happening, eh? (Sure, there's the whole Eve punishment story, but eh. Women have survived, including Mary. If Mary could do it and give birth to Jesus, then I can definitely do it giving birth to a mere mortal.

I should pack my hospital bag soon. I already know what jammies I'm taking, as I only have one button jammie shirt, though I cuold go to Goodwill and find something, too.

Okay. I'm going to get up now. My coffee has gone through me and I think my daughter (wow, my daughter, that sounds odd and cool...) is deliberately pressing on my bladder just to mess with me. Smart and silly baby already trying to mess with Mommy. Wait. That means I'm mommy. Woah. I can't be a mommy. I'm not grown up enough.

Anyway, I'll probably be back later. While I'm upstairs I might as well put the clean baby clothes away.

Happy day,
Laura
Old 08-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Update from midwife appointment.

I caved and asked for a VE (um, can you say OUCH?!)

90% effaced, 1/2-1 cm dilated (so no significant dilation, but enough that she put put her finger in there - she said she could feel his hair!!!)

No big cry. I guess I feel like my body is doing what it can and that this will happen when it happens. September baby, August baby, in the end it's a baby (and he has hair!). I can't wait to meet my baby boy
Old 08-29-2007, 03:48 PM

Awesome news Emily - those contrax were productive after all! Glad you avoided the big cry.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Laura, When is your estimated due date? Be sure to check that the LLL meeting welcomes men -- here, only specified meetings permit men; most don't, because women want to be comfortable exposing their breasts.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM

Emily that is good news!! Isn't it supposed to go faster after you get to 100% effaced? Hopefully baby will decide to come soon!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM

My EDD is Sept. 21. I hadn't thought about that. I was just thinking that my husband won't want me to go far that close to my due date, especially since my first doctor first said the 14. Eh. That's what cell phones are for, eh? Thanks. There are a couple of others just as close that says to call for meeting times. I could do that, too.

Still haven't called the insurance company or the billing company. Maybe tomorrow. I just took a break to have a snack (lentils with tomato sauce and spices; Now I'm overly tasting the spices) and I should get back upstairs to finish up. I actually took some boxes out of the room and they're downstairs. Yay. I even took one to the recycle dumpster. Yay. Something out of the house.

I'm off,
Laura
Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 PM

Laura - I went to an LLL meeting and it definitely was a women-only thing. For what it is worth, I wouldn't worry about traveling too far from home, labor take awhile so you should have plenty of time to get home, get your things, get to the hospital, etc. Men always seem to to think the babies will just "fall out" or something the second we go into labor. However, if it were that easy, they wouldn't call it labor, you know

Elizabeth - Woohoo on the hospital thing. Yay!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 PM

Dee, my snoring suggestions = earplugs, for him! I would try those strips, I think.

Elizabeth, that's such great news about your hospital! But too bad you won't be able to bring your curling iron and toaster. (JK!)

Laura, actually, in the Hypnobirthing book (I think? It could be another book), the author addresses the whole "Eve punishment" thing; according to this book, the original word in the passage does NOT specify pain (it has a range of possible meanings, including "labor" in the sense of work) but some specific translators at some women-unfriendly point in history went with the pain interpretation and we've been stuck with it ever since. So that sort of backs up what you were saying.

Julia, sorry you're so achy. For what it's worth, I am not really more uncomfortable now than I was at about where you were. (I was afraid it would get worse, but really, it hasn't.)

PiePie, I'm going to see if "boobylicious" makes MY kid stop crying. That would be cool. I hope you are feeling better.

Emily, I'm so glad you sound more peaceful with things after your appointment.... still hoping things start soon for you.

Becky, still nothing? Natalia, how are you doing?

I finally applied for my state's medicaid today. (Insuring a kid on student insurance costs $5000/year. That is INSANE.) It was fun with bureaucratic ineptitude. According to the new official local brochure, I qualify now even though I worked in August. But the new official brochure prints the wrong income guidelines, meaning I won't qualify until 30 days from now (potentially after labor). But the new official local brochure matches the official state website. But when I called the official state number to confirm the numbers on the website, I was told that THOSE guidelines are also wrong. After several phone calls with the local agent, where we left it is: no one has any clue what the actual guidelines are right now, which means no one has any clue whether or not I can apply now or have to wait until we OFFICIALLY poor in October, rather than unofficially poor now.

It's no big for me, as I have nothing else to do (er, you know what I mean) and this is backup insurance for me (that won't cover my midwife anyway) and the kid will definitely qualify for insurance by the time she needs to. But I really feel for people in more desparate situations. I mean, if the WEBSITE and the OFFICIAL BROCHURES are completely wrong and the agents themselves don't know what's going on? How are people supposed to navigate this system?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:28 PM

ack. double post.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Hi all. I think I am in labor so we are off to the hospital. I will either update once the babe arrives (or if i get sent home...however, I am pretty sure this is the real deal)
Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 AM

Emily I'm so excited for you! Good luck, easy labour vibes and I can't wait to hear all about it.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Yay Emily thanks for updating us!
~~~~~~~~~ELVs~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 AM

Emily's in labor!!! Peaceful labor vibes to you!

Alex, Congratulations!!! Welcome Layla!!

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM

Congratulations Alex!!! Sorry I am late on this.

Emily, good vibes coming your way. So exciting! :

librarian mommy (34) to DD (2/08), expecting a BOY in early spring 2011
Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 PM

Yahoo - Emily!!!! In labor!!! Good luck and ELVs!!!

I'm just hanging around, sorry I don't have much to tell... I'm starting to feel ready to have the baby except of course I haven't organized the clothes into the dresser we bought and I don't have one of those changing pads yet, and I still haven't ironed all the stuff - ssshhh don't tell the MIL! I thought having the baby with a full moon would be cool but the baby is still contently inside.

In our childbirth class this week she talked about induction if you go over 42 weeks and it sounds miserable. I really really want to avoid that. Plus I have to go to the hospital - I've got such nasty associations with hospitals, mostly illness and death... I just don't want to give birth in one.

Dee - I say start whacking him with the body pillow each time you roll over and I'm pretty sure he won't notice the snoring as much!

Laura -you know I haven't had ONE single vaginal exam this whole pregnancy. I would not be into having a man do it anyway, I always go to women gyns. Sorry I'm completely biased in this matter, I just don't trust a man. What's that saying - don't trust a mechanic without a car?

Well I'm very big these days. I'm at the point that complete strangers are coming up to me on the street to ask me when I'm due. In case you can't tell off my posts I tend to be pretty anti-social but I have to say these queries are fun. Babies make people happy and it's contagious. So I'm enjoying the extra attention. And geez the stares I get as I bike around town, too funny! I'm obviously a show.

Anyway I'm on Emily alert now and will check back to see if anything's happened!!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazieluna View Post
Anyway I'm on Emily alert now and will check back to see if anything's happened!!
Me too! I can't believe how many times I have checked this thread this morning - like getting any work done isn't hard enough with how tired I am!

Emily: sending easy labour vibes!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM

Yay, Emily! I knew it was close. Thinking of you!

User Tag List